Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space Base - A homebrew ICB/ZP  (Read 88058 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Space Base - A homebrew ICB/ZP
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:44:24 pm »
This forum is great because it is built on those ideas that just won't go away.  Those infatuations and flights of fancy that after some elbow grease and too much time and money finally, usually, become reality.  Man oh man, I got hit with a flight of fancy about a year ago and it just hasn't let go. 

Enough waxing poetic. 

Along with the help of IDS and EDS1275 I'm building an Ice Cold Beer homage I'm calling, "Space Base".  We've been working on it off and on for over a year, in near secrecy.  To be honest we thought we'd be done by now but life, thousands of collective miles between all of us, project hurdles to be overcome, and everything else tends to slow things down.  We aren't done, but a lot of the hard work is done and we'll be moving forward on this.  It is time to get it out into the light, get some feedback, and make this a true community project.  In the beginning I had ideations of selling this as a kit but now I'll just be happy to get a complete parts list, art download, cut plans, and program/music downloads out into the community so anybody can make their own. 

First off and most importantly:  The starting crew <cue boats-n-hoes montage>.

Chuckles - fabrication, basic mechanics, art (big thanks to Jake Nealis for the Space Gal art)
IDS - electronics, software and hardware
eds1275 - music, sound effects, voice acting (big thanks to his actress)
possibly you! - we're looking for good ideas, feedback, and whatever else

So how far are we?  Well, if I had to put a number on it I'd say we're at about 42.  Art is going good, music and sound effects are going great, software and hardware are going good, cab construction will be underway soon once I finalize a few things on the inner workings of the playfield.  The basics behind operation:  Mag switches in target holes and the return hole provide feedback on ball location.  Servos run the pulley system.  A small processing unit runs the LEDs, sounds, and monitors everything against game logic that we distilled from ICB.  But let's be honest, you're here to see stuff.  On to the pics!!!

This is the bezel, all art is done in a mix of solid and half tones for all foreground images and the background starfield is still a wip.  Well everything is a wip but this seems to be working out pretty well.

Now with the PF, note that there will be an inch gap to allow the bar movement between the two planes.  Why yes, space gal is a different color, which do you prefer?

CPO, which will be a wrap around. 

This is like PF v.II I think but it's starting to get there

Closer in all the ball return mech

Video showing the mag switches in action.

Mag switch activated

Mag switch proximity test.  Mag switches allow us to forego a complicated ball return system of chutes and just use in-hole monitoring.  More on all that later. 

I'll let eds1275 and IDS jump in when they're ready with info on their parts of the build but I'll tell you, the music and sfx are out of this world and IDS has come up with some great game modes and is doing remarkable things with segment displays and LEDs.  It's all pretty much amazeballs.  It's not going fast, but it's going.  Whatchya thing?

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Space Base - A homebrew ICB/ZP
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:54:12 pm »
Just when you think you have seen it all.  What an original idea.  I love that this is a team effort as well.     :cheers:

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:33:23 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:36:46 pm »
Holy crap that is incredible!  Ever since I saw Ice Cold Beer years ago I've wondered if it would even be possible to build one at home.  I love the idea, I love the art, I just love it!

Would love it even more if you guys released info on how others can build one after you're done!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 11:45:19 pm »
Finally announced it, huh? Kudos!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ids

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:59:24 am »
Finally announced it, huh? Kudos!  :cheers:

I suspect it may have been announced earlier if not for my slacking on the software side.  It was not for a lack of trying, however, I just got buried in the paying type of work, which has forced my to slow down on a number of priority projects such as this  :(.  This is also some challenging stuff; mapping a VERY large number of I/O pins onto a microcontroller, serious sound requirements, hi-score table, certain degree of configurability, whilst keeping costs reasonable, etc.   I'll post more info about my contributions when there is something post-worthy (code does not make for great pics)

I've got to say though, thx Le Chuck, cuz this is a really cool project and I'm thrilled to be a part in it.  And it seems we have the answer to life, the universe, and everything if:
we're at about 42

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:02:41 am »
Great to see a brand new type of project.  Looks like alot of hard work and more to go.  Congrats on your inovation.  :cheers: :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:25:44 am »
Would love it even more if you guys released info on how others can build one after you're done!

Well that's kind of the idea lol.  To that end I do need one more contributor who is willing to do toolpaths for everything based on the final design, either that or everyone will have to put up with my horribly not to scale drawings and odd liner notes to get their own (Rick, Haru, you CNC guys, I'm looking at you). Once complete first post will be updated with all links, parts lists, and everything else you need to roll yer own.

I know IDS has been looking at custom board production being an option as well for the display and to manage the ever growing rats nest of wires this bad boy is turning out to be.

We kind of embrassed a degree of feature creep early on because if you're taking the time to a project like this it makes sense to do some updates while you're building from scratch.  Multicolored LEDs, alphanumeric displays, high quality audio, stuff like that has created a lot for IDS to work through all while trying to find a solution that can be replicated by the midranged to advanced BYOAC'r with a parts list AND keep costs reasonable.  To say it isn't easy is an understatement. 

@BobA, Yot, WP34 - Thanks guys, we'll keep plugging away and hopefully open up a new area to be explored. 

Attached at the base of this post is the current google doc we've been working on together.  There's a bit of inside baseball with some of it but it'll give those who want to follow along closely a road map for where we're going with game play and features.  IDS in red and I'm in blue for liner notes. 

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:12:05 am »
That is cool.

Is it the same hole pattern as Ice Cold Beer?  Or would you rather not say?

Super awesome!  Can't wait for a parts list.  As far as CNC'ing, this main backboard should be the only thing we need? 

Looking forward to a parts and price list.  Good show!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:24 am »
That is cool.

Is it the same hole pattern as Ice Cold Beer?  Or would you rather not say?

Super awesome!  Can't wait for a parts list.  As far as CNC'ing, this main backboard should be the only thing we need? 

Looking forward to a parts and price list.  Good show!

I don't think it's a perfect hole for hole copy but yes, it's based on the ICB pattern and is a pretty close match.  Not really worried about that similiarity tho since everything else is such a departure.  I varied the hole sizes as I think some models did - so that way not all out holes are just gapingly huge. 

The playfield I would like CNC'd because there is a lot of wire routing that needs to be done and once I do the final I'll probably never want to do another one again haha.  Ideally the whole build will get the cut plan treatement just to make things nice.  At a minimum tho I definetly will get the playfield and ball return box done.  From there you could stick the unit in about anything you want and still get a functional unit.   

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:54:08 am »
This looks cool, I'm excited for you guys.  Next up: Peggle!  Or how about pachinko?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »
I'm not real fond of the cheesecake aspect to the artwork and I think it detracts from the overall appeal, but to each his own.  Are you planning on having the playfield screened or doing decals?

Mag switches are a neat idea.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 12:38:53 pm »
I could do without the space lady.  Not that I'm a prude, but I don't want to explain space boobs to my 8 and 9 year old daughters.   I'm sure that could be edited out of the graphics file.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 01:19:23 pm »
1) It's not like she's topless
B) Sure, I'll do a version without the space gal - no worries there.  If anybody has any cool space ship art that they drew or have rights to AND it goes with the theme I can see about adding it to give some variety. 

For those who like Space Gal, I'll be doing a side art panel as well with her as a center piece.  To note:  yes she is just some fun retro styled eye candy but she also fits into the back story of the game to wit; the pilot is trying to reach her and it is her voice that is guiding the pilot on his journey through the worm holes.  You see, her space station is running out of oxygen and you have to get them resupplied or she'll die. 

Once eds1275 pops up on here and uploads some of this awesome sounds it'll perhaps tie it together more thematically for everyone.  Or not.  Dunno.  Either way I'll do a gal-less version for the homebrewers who aren't feeling her. 

As to the surface treatment, PBJ, I'm planning right now on vinyl but I'll be having it all done through a local sign shop that I deal with (they do all of University of Auburn's commercial work) and they'll hopefully have some robust solutions for me.  If they can do a print and it won't cost me a boat payment I'll do that - but not for the prototype.  The prototype will be lucky to get a laminated graphic from kinkos.  ;)

If anybody has any other ideas for the art or other design elements keep'em coming.  I think the art is a good start but I know there is room for improvement. 

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 02:23:36 pm »
I'm not saying anything.

j/k. Yeah we had a lot of ideas for the audio, from incoming radio transmissions to the captain of the ship talking to the player but in the end it was the female computer voice that we ended up on. She has a sultry way of saying things. The voice actor's name is Jennifer, and she is part of the local film group I am an administrator of. She helps out on a lot of my projects both audio only and film. Unfortunately next month she is moving to the southern part of the island we live on which is about 2 hours away.

For the music I was out of my comfort zone. Usually I do more rock, funk, bluesy stuff but the main track came together really fast. Like 2 days or something and then I ended up just cutting the ending off (it actually at one point had an ending) so that it loops seamlessly. I am really proud of the main gameplay tune. Unfortunately, writing the other stuff has been much more difficult because I am trying to match the quality and make it fit together. I am not 100% satisfied with the stuff I have, but I do have an attract mode sort of spacey noise. We had some serious restrictions on audio that have been ironed out, so at least it isn't low bit and sample rate. Writing the music and then chopping the quality down was really sad for me. I don't have anything with me to upload but I will slap together a compressed audio file and post it for anyone who wants to hear when I return home.

For those that care, I'm using pro tools 11, a roland ready strat with GK-3 midi pickup, a roland midi controller keyboard, and mostly samples from my software and soft synths. I programmed some more complicated drums but the basic beats really just fit better.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 02:55:01 pm »
I think the "cheesecake" factor fits in perfectly (seen the sideart on Ice Cold Beer?). Good work!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 03:11:06 pm »
I think the woman art is tasteful and non-offensive, and the holes fit in with a holey-asteroid look.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 04:17:14 pm »
So, that's a cool idea with the timer and trying to save the suffocating astronaut and all that, and it sounds like the voice calls will reflect things like that rather than, "don't get your balls in the wrong hole" and that kind of nonsense.  All a good thing.

But does the depiction of the sexy space woman really fit?

I think it'd be more along the lines of this:

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 04:21:08 pm »
:droid:

I was preparing for a space nuns in space them. But since you offered an edit without the space lady, I don't have to do any work ( 8)  like I was anyway ;) )

I am super excited to see a video with the different modes to it.  Seems like you guys went the extra mile.  From what I saw on youtube ICB was limitied.

I think the art is fine.  With the history of the site, I don't know why you didn't go for Ond's Raygun, that would have been a nice easter egg.

Again, :I don't want to want to explain space boobs to my daughters: 
Whilst its not the problem of anyone here, I politely registered my opinion and an option was made.  Whereas if I had been an ass about it, I would have probably been told to I could do without.

Louis CK bit about talking to your own kids **language warning***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »
Taking Space Gal out is a single button click as shes a smart object in the photoshop file (which is close to a gig in size as is) and requires no additional editing so it's not like it's an effort for me to do that.  If it was I'd just politely ask those that don't like her to take a long walk off a short space port ;)

Seriously tho, I like her and I like the vibe she adds but understand that others might not.  While I'm more than willing to post up a final set without her much more importantly I would hope that once this is done those that are building their own would feel free to do their own themes, a little art and some downloaded sounds and you'll be good to go.  Sure, it wont be as jaw droppingly awesome as Space Base with its professional sound track and voice overs but it may be.  Besides, I've got a back up theme I've toyed with that is very tongue in cheek risque like PBJ alluded to called "Pitchin' Hay" which is naturally a farmer's daughter theme.  Lots of room for raunch in that one but we will get Space Base all wrapped first. 

@PBJ, I see where you're coming from but I don't think I'll personally go dark with it and stay more on the playful side, but as mentioned, for those that want to follow suit there is room to branch out.  I still think that once you hear the music and the voice cuts that Space Gal will grow on you. 

--break--

I would appreciate some opinions as to color scheme for Space Gal and any of the other graphics.  I think I personnaly prefer the pink but maybe only like 51%.  I had a recommendation to make her a dark skinned woman and redraw the hair - kind of a Lana Kane in college look, but I haven't tried it out yet, a little too much work to make it look right.  I did try out several shades of green for the skin but it didn't feel right. 

Also, the unit itself, my original plan was to make it wall-mount and eliminate all that unneeded cab, or maybe go very thin.  With the way the ball return and switchs and lights work the whole thing will be maybe 4 inches thick from glass to back at its most slimmed down (not counting the CP), but I'm leaning back towards doing a full size cab for two reasons

1) It will look better
2) If I don't do the fullsize I wont have anywhere to stick sideart. 

Thoughts?

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 06:44:59 pm »
As far as color goes, I've always been a big fan of the "sexy robot" look.  So I'd go with a silver/chrome look on her suit.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 09:10:12 pm »
Never thought ICB/ZP were that interesting, and I know now the theme had something to do with that. This looks great! Can't wait to hear the audio!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »
imho, art and audio are great, and i'm glad we came up with a solution that allows for no loss in quality of the audio.

for those interested in the guts:
  • Main logic running on a Freescale KL25Z, using mbed platform
  • Audio being handled by the cheapest solution available - a small cheap external board (a raspberry-pi)
  • Freescale and rpi connected via usb, and use a usb-serial setup to chat to each other
  • Display is a set of 16-segment displays, a row of 5, over a row of similar but with 2nd removed (so, 1 unit, blank, 3 units) - as per artwork above, top-right.  These are multiplexed - cycled in columns; one column is powered at a time, the KL25z sets the segments to display and cycles which column to be powered at a high frequency.  A series of 4 shift registers hold the state of the segments.
  • 10 RGB LED's hide behind each hole that can be used for scoring.  The KL25z simulates PWM by cycling the on-off state as needed.  These are multiplexed as well, to keep pin count down.
  • 10 switches - one for each score hole, tied to a 10/4 priority encoder to reduce pin count
  • Limit switches used to control the extent to which the bar can move - four switches tied to interrups for immediate response
  • Dip switches to control a few configurable items.
  • More config available via a config file stored on the SD card in the r-pi
  • High scores maintained on SD card
  • Servo motors for the bar tied to PWM units on the KL25z
  • "Tilt" sensed by KL25z built in accelerometer
  • High-score input will be like robotron.  Left stick selects letter, right stick accepts
  • etc

This thing requires a lot of I/O pins and is the most complicated microcontroller thing I've done to date to date.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:03 pm »

I think the art is fine.  With the history of the site, I don't know why you didn't go for Ond's Raygun, that would have been a nice easter egg.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 11:28:34 pm »

The puberty years are going to be Hell for you, bro...

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 11:36:39 pm »

The puberty years are going to be Hell for you, bro...

+1  For great justice!

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 03:14:35 am »
Huge Props for the recreation.  Im quite interested in the magnetic sensors for sure.  Does the ball have to be magnetic for them to activate?
Cool stuff.

Ive always liked the Elvira style themed fun/funny/sexy vocals...  but for those with younger kids, I can see it being an issue.  Still, not a fan of the girl art clip.  It doesnt match in the color scheme.   Very out-of-place.  Super saturated .. against dark, desaturated, plain, and somewhat boring backdrop.  Its well drawn.. and I like the half-tone work a lot... but its kind of lifeless in totality.    And while we all know that most of space IS Lifeless... thats never what the focus is when we are thinking about space.. or watching some movie about space.   We are thinking Aliens, Space Craft, Hi Tech, LaZ3r FiR3!  (and woman of course!)   Time Travel,   Black Holes,  Warp Gates,  Wormholes,  and some amazing Captain and Heroic battles...    Not merely docking your balls...err I mean, ship..

Take a look at Asteroids Deluxe artwork.   Blacklight lit, a lot of zest and interesting things happening:

ICB is a tough one for art, due to all of the holes.  It limits the possible range considerably..  as well as changes the impact of the art, if not done well in accordance with them.

Long ago, Id came up with some seriously sick ideas for a game based on ICB..  as at that time,  I was actually considering modifying the original machine.   However, I just restored it, and sold it for a hefty sum.. to get a more closer in funds, to a much more desirable pinball machine...

It goes well beyond your current cost & output parameters...   Still, Id love to get some made, and pop them on-location...

Just something to note about Audio...  Have you thought about using an actual digital FM synth engine, such as the DX-7  ?   As the musical complexity and compositions you could create... would take almost no memory up.   And due to the nature of good FM Synth sound.. its pretty much timeless.   I find that FM synths like the Yamaha Dx7,  Yamaha DX7 IID... etc..   have sounds that are so vivid and clear...  that they are almost astounding.   Unlike a low quality sample rip...  which can get grating, sterile...  and sound like poop compared to a good FM Synth.    I think the magic is in the math.  Its like the sound is a mirror of life.  Theres a sort of infinite "Fractal" method of how it works, and how it sounds...  and its somewhat cosmic.  Alive. Perfect.

Whats great is that with emulation, and or other similar methods... you can use such a synth... and even add other synths to the mix, and even create enhanced capabilities that were never possible.

Most all the older games used Synths.   Marble Madness uses a Yamaha chip thats very close to the DX-7 if memory serves me correctly.   And as we all know.. that game has some incredible sound effects, and movie-style theme backing.   Thunderforce II has some incredible Synth work.  And check out "Target Earth"  for Sega Genesis...  A much lower quality synth, but wow.. what awesome composition and sound...

A combination of some samples (or cd / mp3)  + synth, would probably be best.  Allowing for clear vocals... yet amazing high def synth sounds... that take up almost no space.. despite many large and complex compositions.

Not that Im knocking Eds work.  Havnt heard his stuff yet. I am a big fan of electric guitar btw.   But just that due to the nature of certain themes... and limitations on audio, it can really add an amazing level of Pop, when using good synths.

Now, I have to be real here... in saying that the original ICB was a bit flawed and limited.   Once you got the hang of it..  it wasnt as exciting as you had once thought.   I have some ideas that would probably fix this problem... and while theme does help... its still not enough.

For anyone whom wants to make one on the cheap... you do not even really need any electronics.  Two hand crank wheels would do the trick... using a string / pulley style system.  (and or rubber belts, or direct gear drive)

Anyways..  nice work guys.
 :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 07:43:41 am »
X - some of your comments are well taken and will be considered.  I think that the music eds1275 is composing/has composed will be more than sufficient as, again my opinion, it is quite remarkable and vibrant, but I appreciate feedback on other methods of implementation.  The playfield does present challenges in that it is swiss cheese.  I think my art could be improved on but I disagree on the incongruity.  The asteroids in your example are very nice asteroids.  Fluoroscent printing might well lend itself to this theme but is beyond my resources and inclination. 

I think your bringing up the fact that you had a great marketable idea for ICB conversion a long time ago that was "seriously sick" but not sharing it in a thread that is all about giving ideas to the community presents a poor impression.  Kind of a, "nice project, I was going to do something much cooler but nice try" vibe.  Again later with the "I have some ideas that would fix the problem" but no hint to what those ideas are.  Well thanks man, good to know.  Good for you then I guess.  ;)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 09:03:58 am »
While it's good to get some feedback for the sake of new ideas and avoiding mistakes,
IMO the best projects are the ones where a person or small group of people have a vision and faithfully execute it.
Projects that try to please everyone in the peanut gallery end up bleh.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: I could totally see a Stargate themed version of this.
(the movie and tv series, not the arcade game)

DOUBLE EDIT: I'd also like to add that Eds1275 did an unreal job on my NeoGeo jingles.
They're better than anything SNK themselves would have had done.
I feel bad for not getting that cab done in a timely manner to show them off.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:11:23 am by BadMouth »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 10:17:58 am »
At $6+ each for those field switches did you manage to find a cheaper source?

I really wanted to use them for my own but as many as I wanted, it would've blown my entire budget apart.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 10:30:24 am »

I really wanted to use them for my own but as many as I wanted, it would've blown my entire budget apart.

That was a concern, I think the ones I'm using are $6.38 and I need 12 of them.  I have been searching for months for a less expensive retailer or viable sub.  What found is that the money they saved me in building a reliable working chute system for ball management made the juice worth the squeeze.  Your LED sensor solution is very elegant too and would be good for this application but I'm not familiar with it enough to know if it would work in the same manner.  I don't need one for every outhole, just score holes.  I just need one at the gate to shift states.  If a score hole wasn't tripped first then the software knows it was a dead ball. 

Still $70+ is a punch in the gut, especially considering how far IDS is able to stretch the same amount and get pretty much everything else working.   

While it's good to get some feedback for the sake of new ideas and avoiding mistakes,
IMO the best projects are the ones where a person or small group of people have a vision and faithfully execute it.
Projects that try to please everyone in the peanut gallery end up bleh.

Thanks man, we're going to see it through.  I love new ideas but we're not jumping on every band wagon that rolls by. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 11:14:34 am »
Thanks man, we're going to see it through.  I love new ideas but we're not jumping on every band wagon that rolls by.

Good idea, LC. I love a lot of the ideas that get generated here, but I've also seen feature creep submarine many a project as well.  :cheers:

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 11:22:02 am »
You can mark me down as someone that thinks the artwork looks fantastic as-is... with a little matching color like pink or something on the controls (buttons, joysticks, whatever) it would tie everything together perfectly.  Very excited to watch this one play out!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:58 am »
with a little matching color like pink or something on the controls (buttons, joysticks, whatever) it would tie everything together perfectly.
+1

Thanks man, we're going to see it through. 

Thanks for sharing your project! 

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 11:31:46 am »
Keep the space babe, it calls back to classic coin-op. Is she gonna be backlit?

Quote from: Le Chuck
I would appreciate some opinions as to color scheme for Space Gal and any of the other graphics.  I think I personnaly prefer the pink but maybe only like 51%.  I had a recommendation to make her a dark skinned woman and redraw the hair - kind of a Lana Kane in college look, but I haven't tried it out yet, a little too much work to make it look right.  I did try out several shades of green for the skin but it didn't feel right. 

Maybe you wanna consider rather than a flat out green alien babe, just a tinge of an unnatural hue, like to make it ambiguous if she is human or not. I would even consider going as far as making your space babe evil. Glowing eyes, cosmic fire behind her.  I am thinking like something along the lines of Elektra.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 11:39:12 am »
Eh, scratch my earlier comment about her being evil, I missed the part where saving the gal is kinda part of the plot of the game. She can still be an alien though.  ;)

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 11:50:33 am »
Here are some audio files, sans DX-7, for your listening pleasure.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »

Well, damn, those sound legit.  Nice work.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 12:55:00 pm »
Wow...those are absolutely incredible sounds!  :applaud:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 01:44:41 pm »
Great sounds, Eds1275.   :applaud:

That was a concern, I think the ones I'm using are $6.38 and I need 12 of them.  I have been searching for months for a less expensive retailer or viable sub.  What found is that the money they saved me in building a reliable working chute system for ball management made the juice worth the squeeze.  Your LED sensor solution is very elegant too and would be good for this application but I'm not familiar with it enough to know if it would work in the same manner.  I don't need one for every outhole, just score holes.  I just need one at the gate to shift states.  If a score hole wasn't tripped first then the software knows it was a dead ball. 

Still $70+ is a punch in the gut, especially considering how far IDS is able to stretch the same amount and get pretty much everything else working.   

Thatpurplestuff's Skeeball build has me thinking about beam break circuits like this:

You should be able to wire 4 parallel sets of 3 LEDs in series as mentioned here to get the needed 12 sensors.

(Water-wheel = LED, you'll only need a small current-limiting resistor after the 3rd LED to drop 0.5v)

If you don't want to order the sensors from the company in India (here) that TPS did, Mouser carries the same LED and photodiode that he is using for less than $1.76 per sensor ($21.07 per build, plus the cost of the resistors) since you'd be ordering 10+ of them.

I'm also looking at this LED and photodiode combination that is only $0.53 per sensor ($6.36 per build  :o , plus the cost of the resistors) since you'd be ordering 10+ of them.

Haven't ordered any of these LED/photodiode combos yet so I'm not sure how well they work or the exact resistors to use, but Samej71 mentions the resistor he used in his setup for R2 here and you can easily use an online LED calculator to solve for resistor R1.   ;D

Hopefully this can bring your sensor price per build down to a more manageable level.  :cheers:

The mounting geometry that TPS shows here for his sensor + RGB rings should work for your setup, though you may want to move the RGB LED to the top of the hole for indirect lighting.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:48:30 pm by PL1 »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 10:20:13 pm »
PL1 - I'm no electrical guy, so, questions - is it not the case that, in the water wheel scenario, should something go wrong, all LED's tied to the same resistor can go *poof*?  And is this not why it is often recommended to have one resistor per LED?

thx

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 10:45:50 pm »

Nicely done! Thanks for posting some samples!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:33 am »
X - some of your comments are well taken and will be considered.  I think that the music eds1275 is composing/has composed will be more than sufficient as, again my opinion, it is quite remarkable and vibrant, but I appreciate feedback on other methods of implementation.  The playfield does present challenges in that it is swiss cheese.  I think my art could be improved on but I disagree on the incongruity.  The asteroids in your example are very nice asteroids.  Fluoroscent printing might well lend itself to this theme but is beyond my resources and inclination. 

I think your bringing up the fact that you had a great marketable idea for ICB conversion a long time ago that was "seriously sick" but not sharing it in a thread that is all about giving ideas to the community presents a poor impression.  Kind of a, "nice project, I was going to do something much cooler but nice try" vibe.  Again later with the "I have some ideas that would fix the problem" but no hint to what those ideas are.  Well thanks man, good to know.  Good for you then I guess.  ;)

I have little in the way of marketable skills  (bad memory, a bit of a slow learned, and limited cranial capabilities with regards to stuff like math.. ) ,  as well as am now having trouble with physical capabilities  (extreme food allergies = pains and extreme fatigue) ..  so Im banking one one day.. .Possibly,   to have some of these ideas bring in some kind of income.

If you have the desire to possible expand your projects output potentials... Id love to see what we could do...   Maybe make a full on coin op run..  or at very least, a high end kit / or high-end assembled units..     High end, just meaning.. higher costs for the super-powered kits.

One thing Id realized, but have not tested / tried yet: 

I believe the small ball size can be an issue with regards to challenge as well as issues in playability.   It only takes a small amount of dust to cause enough friction, to slow and or stop a ball.   With ICB - It was far worse.. because the entire machine had to be taken apart, full back-end ball trails and all.

Id like to try a Pinball..  and see how much more momentum may effect difficulty for the long term playability and enjoyment.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 10:25:18 am »
is it not the case that, in the water wheel scenario, should something go wrong, all LED's tied to the same resistor can go *poof*?  And is this not why it is often recommended to have one resistor per LED?

The big advantages to wiring the LEDs in series like the left half of the water wheel diagram/schematic are the increased efficiency and greater fault tolerance.

To wire the 12 IR LEDs for this project, you can either do 4 of the groups of three LEDs on the left or 12 of the individual LEDs on the right.

Both configurations require current limiting resistors that dissipate the voltage drop as heat
-- Left needs 4 (1 per group of 3 LEDs) that drop 0.5v (4 * 0.5 = 2)
-- Right needs 12 (1 per LED) that drop 3.5v (12 * 3.5 = 42)
-- The right option has to dissipate 21 times the heat that the left option does.

Next consider how much current each configuration uses
-- These LEDs draw 100mA IIRC
-- Left uses 100mA flowing through each of the 4 groups of three LEDs (400mA total)
-- Right uses 100 mA flowing through each of the 12 LEDs (1200mA total)
-- The right draws three times the current that the left option does

That brings us to the question of circuit protection if the current limiting resistor goes bad -- let's assume that it shorts out. (worst case scenario)
-- The LEDs are rated for 1.5v IIRC
-- Left now has 5v applied to 3 LEDs in series. This results in a 1.67v  drop across each LED = 0.17v over rated voltage.
-- Right now has 5v applied to 1 LED = 3.5v over rated voltage
-- The right LED will be VERY bright for 1 or 2 seconds before it definitely burns out, the left LEDs might survive  :dunno

This leads us to the question of what happens if an LED goes bad.
- A burned out LED stops current flow (most likely scenario)
  -- Left would have 3 LEDs go dark (1 burns out like a fuse, protecting the other 2)
  -- Right would have 1 LED go dark = slightly easier troubleshooting (finally a win for the right side configuration  :lol)
- A shorted LED (HIGHLY unlikely, almost certainly caused on the wiring end, not the light end)
  -- Left will burn out the other two LEDs in the group and slightly dim the other groups (less current flowing through them)
  -- Right will slightly dim the other LEDs (less current flowing through them)

The answer to your "one resistor per LED" question depends on the configuration.

If *only* one resistor is used to protect a bunch of LEDs wired in parallel, it will have to be large enough to handle all the current flow and heat dissipation for the whole setup.

When a carbon resistor has too much current flowing through it, the resistor starts to cook itself and break down.

As it breaks down, the resistance decreases, causing more current to flow through it, causing it to break down further . . . . until it becomes a short circuit.

Less resistance = less voltage drop across the resistor.

All the LEDs will be over-voltaged and burned out, probably before the resistor breaks down completely.

For protection puprposes, the three 1.5v LEDs on the left half of the water wheel diagram are effectively a single, much more robust, 4.5v LED.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:02:34 am by PL1 »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »
Some more art examples for feedback.  Put together a rough draft sideart, nothing too fancy - just to get a feel for it, and changed some colors around on the playfield along with subduing the background quite a bit.  The quality goes to hell when I get these internet sized.  The full size PNGs are like 100mb each and the PSDs are pushing a gig but the detail on the color is so nice at that full resolution.  It looks all grided out and muddy at this size. 

So Space Gal is a blend of the first two options with more pastel coloring and the asteroids got a color treatment just to see how it would look.  I'm digging the updated Space Gal but not sold on coloroids.  Original posted for comparison so you don't have to flip back and forth. 

And sideart, might try to incorporate one of those classic rolling pinball type images to give it a bit of movement.  Rather than mock up a spaceship I think it would be nice just to show the ball as that is what serves as your "ship" and besides, who is to say that the ideal spacecraft isn't a metallic sphere with a hidden ion drive or some nonsense.  Kind of like a pinball with a comet trail curving outside the graphic from upper left to lower right. 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:16:13 pm by Le Chuck »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 09:08:21 pm »
I love it except for one part.  I'm not a fan of the helmet.  I don't know why, just not liking the glass part of it.  I like the electronics on it, even the part on top, but the globe, not so much.  Maybe a glass visor coming out of the top part or something?  Oh well.

The rest of it is great.  I love the stippling affect on the asteroids, very comic book looking.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 10:41:56 am »
who is to say that the ideal spacecraft isn't a metallic sphere with a hidden ion drive or some nonsense.

Pinballs in spaaacccceeeee!!!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43:46 am »
Less typing, more progress photos

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 07:37:28 pm »
Had a wisdom tooth taken out today - gave me the afternoon to play with the art.  Think I'm about ready to put a fork in it.  Again, sorry for lowrez uploads.  Once it's all said and done there will be links for fullsize downloads. 

Sideart

Playfield

CPO - no change to this one, will pick up the highlight colors through the plastics. 

OMHFG does my face hurt.  Wowzers. 

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 08:06:42 pm »
Had a wisdom tooth taken out today -

Well, yeah!  That's what happens when a total stranger introduces power tools to your face.  They give you decent drugs?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 12:17:42 pm »
I'm not going to make this into a content about who has had the worst experience, but I sure hope yours was better than mine!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 12:36:36 pm »
I'm not going to make this into a content about who has had the worst experience, but I sure hope yours was better than mine!

Admittedly and joyfully. I'm great today!

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2014, 01:38:10 pm »
Well gentlemen I think the artwork, and well the whole concept really - looks just fine as is.
Not sure I have ever seen a ICB here in the UK and just watched a gameplay vid to get a better idea and boy does it look like fun combined with inebriation  :laugh2: .

If a run was ever to happen I bet you would sell as many as you were prepared to make.

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 02:30:25 am »
Le Chuck - I think it looks great, can't wait to see this progress is on my must watch list.  :cheers:

..and guys would be good if the thread got back on track as well!  :soapbox:
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:32:16 am
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 02:44:31 am »
I think the whole project looks and sounds great. I looking forward to some more progress pictures. And also some pictures of the mechanics/electronics. You are doing an amazing job!  :applaud:

..and guys would be good if the thread got back on track as well!  :soapbox:

Agreed, just report and ignore.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 09:03:40 am »
I think the mix of radial half-tone and flat skin shade is actually pretty nice, I preferred the green asteroids though.  All in all, it hits the retro sci-fi mark as intended.  It's ironical really, all this talk about shading and here I am endlessly playing with and experimenting with toon shaders applied to 3D objects to try and achieve a cel shading I'm happy with.  Heh, I'm close now, real close. 

Anyway, onya L.C. for coming up with different and interesting projects like this, ed does a great job on the music stuff doesn't he?

OND

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 11:15:17 am »
Slippy, Generic Eric, PBJ, Yot, SavannahLion, PurpleStuff, Tallgeek, Rocky, Sjaak, and Ond - thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and look forward to making some more sawdust here shortly. 

I'm ironing out the fullsize cab plans, it's taking me a bit as I'm working from ether but once I get that done it should go together quickly.  Of course, that's just a small piece of this project.

I too am looking forward to the next music update.  I'm itching to hear that completed panic tune. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 01:01:14 pm »
I, for one, love the art, and I think the space babe is perfect for it.  I love the gradients and how it is not in any way trying to be "3d" or "photorealistic" with shadowing, but rather a pretty pure "pop art" style.  I think you nailed it!

You mentioned that the plastics on the CP will introduce the highlight color.. are you going with purple controls then?  I love the gray with purple, and adding the green for highlight fits the style to perfection, and the reddish blond hair gives it just enough pop!  Did you draw this from scratch or start with some basic pinup art and go from there?  Either way I applaud your photoshop skills, I have enough experience with photoshop to know just how much talent you need to achieve something of this grade.  Beyond my talents, no doubt.

BTW, after reading X2's critiques of colors here and in my latest project thread, I think he is color blind..

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:51 pm »
He's colorblind, he's posted stuff before from a "colorblind artist friend" that was almost certainly his work.

Being colorblind myself, I can say that things often look rather weird to us that look fine to the rest of you.  Particularly all this obsession over 'shading', it's probably because some of the half tones look off in his eyes.  I generally possess the self-awareness to keep my mouth shut about others color choices, though. (and keep my own choices to primary colors)

My issue with it was the rampant and needless sexualization of yet another woman in this hobby's artwork.  But, wait, aren't I the Konkey Dong guy?  Why, yes, yes I am and that was my 'comment' on the matter.  I helped a guy do a custom translite for a Chicago Coin Astronaut once, and we basically plastered the thing with space chicks and ray guns.  Not ALL of them are begging for the player to come and rip off their space suits.  I haven't actually unwrapped my copy of the new Tomb Raider game but it seems like they did a much better job of the attractive woman that can fend for herself.

Here's a couple of examples I netswiped:

vs

I'd prefer to see something along the lines of the first image.  I can get my porn elsewhere.  It's awesome that he's going to release all the artwork assets so we can tweak as we see fit.  No further comment needed.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:52 pm »
So for you it is clothes, not the curves that are the line between "OK" and "smut"?  So if the space babe in question had a skin tight suit that covered her thighs, midriff, and arms, it would be acceptable to you?  Or is it her pose that you have a problem with?

Just wondering, personally I don't see it as overly sexual, and to me, pinup is not porn it is art.  But then I am dating a former stripper who has been in front of the camera a time or two, so I suppose my views on sexuality are probably a little different from yours..  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:26 pm »
I agree with Dave, I don't see it as being overly sexual as well. Maybe if she was helpless and clinging to a man, that would be a different story.

And I'd glad you brought up Rapey Kong, because I didn't want to be that guy....

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2014, 02:55:12 pm »
I get where PBJ is coming from and I think I understand the motive behind Konkey Dong as a black humor parody - I also respect how he has handled the conversation and yes all the files will go up as I said.  As to whether or not Space Gal is exploitive I will leave that to the individual - I recognize that I do have a huge penchant for the pin-up style (recall the Fieldhouse sideart) and am very accepting that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. 

I'll probably play with the greens some more based on Ond's feedback but my gut tells me I'll stick with the purples and grab the greens through the controls to pull it together.  Also, the 7 segment displays are green, so that'll be nice. 

@Vigo, roflol

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:55 pm »
Would it have been any different if it was known a female is the artist?

I don't see it as that big of a deal. There are artists (or rather, a group) like CLAMP that do a very interesting job portraying women.

To me, personally, I would give her a full body suit (like the first image shown by PBJ) not because I'm a prude but because I can't realistically see her being in a hostile environment necessitating a full helmet but wearing such a skimpy outfit. I also have a penchant for brunettes. However, since I have no plans to put her, specifically, on my wall any time soon, all of those details are rather moot.

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 02:06:45 am »
Personally every time I come back to this thread and see the image of the space girl all that`s in my head is the opening scene of barbarella.
And believe me that is a good thing.
What are peoples thoughts on the way women/barbarella is portrayed in that scene?.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2014, 08:22:42 am »
I can't realistically see her being in a hostile environment necessitating a full helmet but wearing such a skimpy outfit.

You folks have never heard of lycra?  Of course she's in some kind of protective suit, what is the patch on her arm stuck to?  It's just flesh toned like the stuff ice dancers wear. 

Seriously tho, ya'll are reading waaaaay to much into this, it's supposed to be fun. 

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:17 am »
I can't realistically see her being in a hostile environment necessitating a full helmet but wearing such a skimpy outfit.

You folks have never heard of lycra?  Of course she's in some kind of protective suit, what is the patch on her arm stuck to?  It's just flesh toned like the stuff ice dancers wear. 

Seriously tho, ya'll are reading waaaaay to much into this, it's supposed to be fun.

I figured it was attached the same way nipple tassles are attached. If you have to Google that, you really need to get out more.

johnrt

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2014, 02:48:41 pm »
Here we have like the coolest project I've seen in many moons, and then you guys spend the time discussing a little piece of the artwork? :hissy: The artwork will ALWAYS be a personal preference. There's NO WAY you can make everyone happy with the artwork. I want to see more of the project itself. Technical solutions, WIP pictures and everything else.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »
I want to see more of the project itself. Technical solutions, WIP pictures and everything else.

That's why I keep coming back. I'm watching this thread. I'm really curious which IC he's using as a 10/4 for ten switched inputs. The only IC I know of has the 10th bit implied. Same goes for his choice of servo over steppers or plain jane motors for the bar. I'm opting for the latter since I don't really feel it's a good idea to hack servos for this. And all the other intriguing design choices.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 04:06:07 pm »
iirc, the 10/4 encoder I've been eyeing is the CD40147BE

specs: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd40147b.pdf

I've coded for servo's, varying the speed based on difficulty level and so forth.  Untested against a machine at this point.  Do you have specific concerns?

I can answer other tech questions you may have as well.

thx

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 04:16:44 pm »
Why would we hack a servo when addressable continuously rotatable servos are easily available? I don't get what the "hack" is.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2014, 10:48:42 pm »
Relax guys. It's not an attack. :cheers:

Only servos I've seen are limited rotation. About 180 degrees of rotation, sometimes more, not usually less. If they're continuous rotation it was always because they've been hacked. Their stops usually ground out and the potentiometer modified to always read center. Did a Google search and it seems you can get them already made but the selection seems small. Though I would ask that if you have a servo without the positional feedback, is it a servo anymore? Or is it just a nicely packaged motor with a PWM speed circuit?  :P (no more smilie ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- from this point forward)

My comment about not using them stems from hacking the servos. I fried more than a few motors in one fashion or another and don't have a desire to modify a servo down the road when trying to replace one in my cab. I was eyeing bone standard NEMA mount motors looking for a nice control circuitry to go with it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how much force I need to do what I want. But since you seem to have handily solved that, I'm very curious as to where you sourced said motors. I kind of wanted to wait and see but cest la vie I guess. Everybody bickering about the chick probably killed the mood there.

The only 10/4 I could ever recall is from the 7400 series. It's all I've been working with lately. Never occurred to me to check the 4000 series of IC's. A very interesting way to get only-one-bit-is-flipped down to fewer lines. Even if it was a "10"/4 from the 7400 series. A 10/4 won't work in my circuit but it is a great idea nonetheless. If I was jonesing for pins I either serialized the input or cheated and used my output and strobed the switches. But use a 10/4? No never even crossed my mind.

I like the use of the Pi for audio but are you leveraging all of the Pi's power? You haven't shared yet. I have a different target and different distribution but, with a Pi, you have all sorts of super cool capabilities at your disposal that can be integrated into the game.

I ditched the LED digit display entirely. IMHO it grew too complex with virtually microscopic returns. I might redesign the circuitry but I'll have to settle for a crappy looking board. I have everything except a PCB to solder to.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2014, 03:39:23 am »
It's all good, I didn't take it as an attack, just wanted to clarify where you were going.  I've done quite a few "hacks" on my projects through the years and am usually quite proud of them.  So far this project is hack free tho (unless you count the home made drive wheels and mounts) and that's because I very much want this to be something that can be replicated.  Hacks add a lot of complexity.  There's a reason you don't see a lot of wireless hot-swappable TRON sticks with in-game switching from 8 way to 4 way for the light cycle level.  It's a holy rolling PITA to setup right. 

We have discussed moving to PWM equipped motors but it's a price hike of about $30-$40 iirc.  I've already installed the units and tested them out using the micro maestro to put them through a full range of movement on the actual playfield with no issue, in fact, because I was using simple movement scripts just for a quick test I had trouble getting them to go slow enough for the game to be playable.  I could get a "crawl" pretty well but then I'd jump to "instant death" with the next speed hike - again just me fiddling in the garage and not using any of IDS's code or work he's already done. 

If they don't work then we just move up to the next more robust option.  At roughly $10 a pop they are too good to not test all the way to ground.  If they don't work flawlessly and consistently we'll move on.  That's the reason I haven't posted the full parts list, I don't want anybody to waste any money on something that might go into the proto/Alpha Unit but doesn't go into the final. 

I'll let IDS address the rpi as that's more in his wheelhouse. 

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2014, 01:30:46 am »
The pi - yeah, it really is overkill when used just for audio.  It was not an easy decision for that reason, but I could not find anything which could come close to it in either price OR performance.  For the same price as a pi model A, you can get some rudimentary things to play a single audio stream.  I've also seen other boards at twice the price unable to do what a pi can do with audio.  We also wanted the ability to overlay sounds - so we could have the background music going, then overlay some effect or voice at key moments.  I had put a lot of effort into optimizing code on the Freescale to pull audio (uncompressed waveform data) from an SD card, push it out through the DAC pin and through a simple amp chip, but this was limited in capability (bitrate, single stream, etc) and consumed a lot of cycles, make game code more challenging.

The pi can not only play most any format of audio, as well as combine multiple streams, it also has SD built in - this simplifies the microcontroller code further by removing support for SD and freeing up some pins.  The config file and high-score are stored on the SD.  Offloading functions to a complete separate unit has other benefits as well (freeing up compute cycles, parallelism, ...)

So, as of today, the freescale connects to the pi via USB, and they use serial over USB to talk to each other.  The KL25z is "master" - sending commands to the pi, and getting basic responses back.  Commands include "play that tune", "give me the config file", etc  The serial baud rate is set quite high so it's not a terrible burden.  It's working well so far.

One last point - as was stated earlier, the pi can do so much more.   And the latest pi's have many more I/O pins as well.  To my knowledge, however, there are no pin driven interrupts, and there are other limitations (#pwm pins, preemptive multitasking OS issues, voltage and current considerations, etc) that make it unable to take over everything the KL25z is doing.  If I thought the pi could do it all, I'd drop the microcontroller.

That's my $0.02, fwiw

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »
I wasn't thinking of having the Pi pick up the IO. I looked at that too and, quite frankly, it's better to treat it like a computer rather than to try and make it a glorified micro some are so apt to do.

I was thinking along the lines of things like, are you able to push new firmware out to the KL25z from the Pi? I intend on including the tools to push new firmware to my child modules. Package an update and, in theory, the entire system updates itself.

I didn't consider leveraging the Pi for the SD card to get config data. I didn't think in that direction. Did you consider the B version to send high scores to a central server? Or to push firmware or game mode updates remotely via the network?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2014, 04:21:10 pm »
Some interesting ideas I had not considered, and if time permits, we may get there one day.  The pi code could obviously run on either model, I was just trying to keep costs down with the 'A', didn't see the need for an extra USB port and the ethernet port, but you present reasons why it might be desirable.  OTOH, you could drop in a USB based wifi adapter into an 'A' and go wireless as well.  Lots of options, but until i finish the game code....

Thanks.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2014, 06:37:10 pm »
I have a few more days with my niece visiting, she is helping me finish up the smurfs machine and her own little Arcade Safari machine, but after that (starting tuesday next week) I will be back bouncing down existing audio and working that panic tune.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:08 am »
Been enjoying the main tune, looking forward to the panic tune.  :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2014, 08:50:38 am »
I'm building all the cut paths in Artcam to export to Gcode. Won't be able to cut until my buddy's new CNC machine arrives and we get it up and going. (He ordered 6 weeks ago, should arrive this month).

eds1275 has cranked out the panic tune and is wrapping up the sound.

IDS is still doing all the programming but at this point is waiting on me to get the proto up to him so he can move beyond bench top testing.

We've each got over a year in this. We aren't going anywhere, we're just doing it as it can be done and no, X2, is incapable of affecting anything I do so don't worry about that ;)

Hopefully by the end of this month to the middle of next month we will have sawdust but I have to help assemble and troubleshoot the as of yet undelivered CNC first.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »
X2, is incapable of affecting anything I do

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I will send off the short panic tune today and wrap up the dialogue editing monday. FO REALZ

johnrt

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »
Well, I'm glad to find out that this project is still going forward!

I don't think I've seen a cooler project on this side of the millenium change!  :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:18:13 pm by johnrt »

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2014, 10:55:40 pm »
Well, I'm glad to find out that this project is still going forward!

I don't think I've seen a cooler project on this side of the millenium change!  :cheers: :cheers:

+1  :applaud:
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2014, 09:42:45 am »
Thread cleaned up! Looks awesome, I like the retro-cheesecake space-babe theme.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:01:35 am by saint »
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2014, 11:57:27 am »

Gracias!!!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2014, 02:58:18 pm »
I had to look this game up.
I want to say I remember the the cleaner goat version of this game from my youth but I can't say for sure.

I would of been in grade-school when this game was out in the wild & honestly would of probably ignored it at Alladins castle or Chuckie Cheese. :)

But, I dig the artwork.
Reminds me of the classic sci-fi comics.
http://www.swapsale.com/planetcomix.htm

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2014, 11:57:03 pm »
I had to look this game up.
I want to say I remember the the cleaner goat version of this game from my youth but I can't say for sure.
M
I would of been in grade-school when this game was out in the wild & honestly would of probably ignored it at Alladins castle or Chuckie Cheese. :)

But, I dig the artwork.
Reminds me of the classic sci-fi comics.
http://www.swapsale.com/planetcomix.htm

Same here. I would've skipped it in the wild. But as I got older and pretty much played the crap out of the usual favs you start looking for different style of games.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2014, 02:38:59 am »
Here's a little audio teaser I slapped together. Edited this post to share a link to the mp3 version. 2.25 mb, enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09q4idxoeoppp5z/Teaser%20Trailermp3.mp3?dl=0

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2014, 10:17:56 am »
Here's a little audio teaser I slapped together. Beware, this is 16.5 whole megabytes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s826yc7kx77lc03/Teaser%20Trailer.wav?dl=0

Totally worth a listen in my incredibly biased opinion. This is like an ear candy snapshot of where we are headed. 

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2014, 10:35:10 am »
Totally worth a listen in my incredibly biased opinion. This is like an ear candy snapshot of where we are headed.

Ditto

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2014, 10:40:45 am »
That is pretty awesome man!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2014, 11:03:19 am »
Here's a little audio teaser I slapped together. Beware, this is 16.5 whole megabytes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s826yc7kx77lc03/Teaser%20Trailer.wav?dl=0

You know someone is a perfectionist about their work when they won't compress a song less than 2 mins long below 16 MB.  ;D That's a good thing, though. This is teaser pretty damn sweet. Obviously professional work.

So by teaser, do you mean that this will be used in attract mode, or is this more like promotional music?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »
This actually wasn't meant fo forum posting, but one of the other guys suggested I post it. Ill crush it down to soulless mp3 soon.

**edit here you go, 2.25mb.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/09q4idxoeoppp5z/Teaser%20Trailermp3.mp3?dl=0

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2014, 12:25:55 pm »
Had a wisdom tooth taken out today - gave me the afternoon to play with the art.  Think I'm about ready to put a fork in it.  Again, sorry for lowrez uploads.  Once it's all said and done there will be links for fullsize downloads. 

Sideart

Playfield

CPO - no change to this one, will pick up the highlight colors through the plastics. 

Hmm... How about a horizontal brushed steel/aluminium on the plane faces (text + circles), instead of the silver fading?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2014, 02:15:06 pm »
now I'll just be happy to get a complete parts list, art download, cut plans, and program/music downloads out into the community so anybody can make their own. 

This is an amazing project and it's great that you are sharing the artwork, sounds and music. I've started on my own version of SpaceBase, but instead of building a cabinet, I'm doing an arcade version that can be played on any cabinet (with two joysticks).

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2014, 02:36:19 pm »
now I'll just be happy to get a complete parts list, art download, cut plans, and program/music downloads out into the community so anybody can make their own. 

This is an amazing project and it's great that you are sharing the artwork, sounds and music. I've started on my own version of SpaceBase, but instead of building a cabinet, I'm doing an arcade version that can be played on any cabinet (with two joysticks).

Beat me to it!

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2014, 03:04:31 pm »
Super coolness.  This may be the first "indie" thing I install on my cab if possible.  This project has be stoked.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2014, 06:19:48 pm »
Spent a fair amount of time doing the initial cut plan for the playfield, now I'll tackle the two different cabs that this will require (one that is packable so I can get it up to Canada for IDS to work with) and one that is a straight ICB clone for me ;)  The image shows the playfield with the CNC cut path overlaid.  Should get access to the CNC next month so I'll be getting everything ready to be cut between now and then.  Feeling pretty good about this!

Hmm... How about a horizontal brushed steel/aluminium on the plane faces (text + circles), instead of the silver fading?

The upload images don't show but those surfaces are brushed; however, since you mentioned it I'll take a look at the brush to fade ratio on those and see if I can't clean it up some more.  The brush is pretty fine and done at 45o but I'll adjust the angle, length, and see if there's something more better lurking in there.  Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome, we used the flash version quite a bit in developing our initial rule set and to get a feel for the game since none of us actually own an ICB or Zeke's Peak.  The rule set we're designing is a fair departure from original with regard to how the count down timer and difficulty adjusts.  I think it's totally awesome you're tackling this.  Once we get a the actual unit up and running it should be pretty easy to make your version spot on. 

Oh, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it at first, then I realized you're using an earlier version of the art, the pink is too much for me ::)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:23:56 pm by Le Chuck »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2014, 08:47:55 am »
CNC machine has arrived and is installed.  System is one stepper motor coupling away from being functional, we busted one when a factor installed set screw backed out and caught the mount during testing.  Tested everything else out that we could last night.  Once that's replaced we'll be up and running, will need to confirm alignment and start cutting.  Super excited, it's a 4ft x 4ft table.  Hopefully we're making sawdust before too long!

Having good friends who like to share their toys is awesome!

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2014, 09:11:23 am »
CNC machine has arrived and is installed.

:applaud:

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2014, 09:17:49 am »

Super jelly.   :cheers:

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2014, 11:22:32 am »
I have to join the group that doesn't recall ever seeing one of these in the wild when I was younger, perhaps I just overlooked it for something with a monitor.

This is looking great so far and I love the asteroid dodging theme you have added to it.  The pinup style artwork is great as well.

orangewhip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2023, 09:40:59 pm
  • orangewhip? orangewhip? 3 orangewhips!
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 08:01:43 pm »
I have been hoping somebody would recreate the original ICB/Zeke's Peak!!

Man, I am soooo all over this!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:14 am »
Holy cow, super busy these last few weeks.  Got some time over this holiday to start working with the CNC machine, it's now up and running cutting signs for my buddy's business.  I was also able to get the CP cut and will be test fitting all the components this week.  I still have to finish the cabinet plans and a few other pieces on the CAM side then I'll be ready to print off a proto type and send up to the great white north for IDS to have his way with ;)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:53:37 am by Le Chuck »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2014, 08:42:48 am »
You either made a stunning ICB panel, or the world's fugliest 4-player hit box cp.  :burgerking:

Looks great man! Can't wait to see IDS do his thing.  :cheers:

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2014, 09:00:47 am »

Gracias!!!

Can someone please explain this term to me!

Excellent project!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12:09 am »

orangewhip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:24 pm »
Curiuous, ids where in Canada are you located?

If you are anywhere near me I would love to help out any way I can...

rovingmind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2014, 12:34:49 am »
I'm jealous of the time you guys have to put into this, and the access to the tools that your friends have.  :notworthy:

Is your buddies sign shop going to double in flatpack copies of this for a single run? 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2014, 01:45:51 am »
Curiuous, ids where in Canada are you located?

If you are anywhere near me I would love to help out any way I can...

I'm in the GTA.
Given that I've had no free time for a few months, perhaps a smidgen of help would...well...help.

orangewhip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2014, 03:42:33 pm »
Dang, I'm on the west coast in Vancouver.... too bad.

I'm in the GTA.
Given that I've had no free time for a few months, perhaps a smidgen of help would...well...help.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2014, 03:58:27 pm »
Dang, I'm on the west coast in Vancouver.... too bad.

Whoop another vancity person. I grew up there but need property and space to make my noise, so I moved to Nanaimo. I'm over there 2/3 times a month though.

orangewhip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2014, 05:06:07 pm »
I hear ya.... I'm actually in Surrey, not Van itself...so I have a bit of room. ;)

Really looking forward to seeing this build finished!

Whoop another vancity person. I grew up there but need property and space to make my noise, so I moved to Nanaimo. I'm over there 2/3 times a month though.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »
I hear ya.... I'm actually in Surrey, not Van itself...so I have a bit of room. ;)

Really looking forward to seeing this build finished!

Surrey? Have you read Patton Oswalt's book and the chapter about the 10 days he spent in Surrey?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2014, 09:55:38 am »
I'm not sure what should surprise me more.  That Patton Oswalt is capable of writing a book or that his fans are literate.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2014, 10:04:47 am »
I'm not sure what should surprise me more.  That Patton Oswalt is capable of writing a book or that his fans are literate.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2014, 10:47:48 am »
If you watch or listen to his stand up comedy, you realize that he is actually pretty damn funny and not at all unsmart.. I was surprised myself, and now I am a fan..

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2014, 10:53:28 am »
Nice route.  Always wanted a cnc...

Been having some rough times lately,  but thought id offer a little more advice before its regrettable.

The bar hinge mounts you have are not as robust as the originals.. and I suspect they wont hold up too well for duration of use.

See if you can get someone to send closeups of the mounts.   

Even the originals had their weak points.  I had to rebuild my assembly.  I was fortunate to find a hobby shop that sold the thin walled tubing that matched the original spec.  I drilled the holes, and then injected some hot glued into the tubes ends to keep them still so they wouldnt bend/flex/loosen. .. and while hot, inserted the mounts in place.

The tube thickness is important.  Too.thick... and there will be a drop off and or hop point... where one bar meets the next.  You cant have a sticky spot on a game like this.. as it will throw off the much needed, and quite critical, gameplay control.

I ended up using brass, cause I thought it looked great... and was a better match for the look of a bar themed game.   However,  after considering it more after the fact... I was thinking that the original tube may have better durability and less friction, with long term use.  I think I at least clear coat sprayed them lightly after polishing them.

I wondering if a 3 tube / bar  system wouldnt be a better idea. A system to lock the main bar in center would be needed.

As for the surface and hole internals... you want these glass smooth.  Any surface friction will ruin gameplay.. as the ball may get slowed or stuck.  Dust often was the cause... and it was so badly effecting gameplay, that I had to take the entire machine apart,  cleaning every surface... including the ball routing trails.

Probably want to use a laminate, and or a plexi covering. The holes will probably need plastic tube inserts... else the ball will wear them quite quickly... especially if using mdf.  Plastic will also be easier to clean.

Dont merely rely on paint.  Balls rolling over a painted and.or even a lightly clearcoated surface... will still tear it apart quickly.   On pinballs,  the longest lasting machines playfields have a clear mylar film glued on them.

Remember... mechanics are brutal.  Friction, wear, mass, collisions... all a factor.  Enough smahing... and things get loose.  Loose parts cause misalignment. .. which causes grinding wear... which escalates quickly into permanent functionality problems.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2014, 11:17:53 am »
Holy cow, super busy these last few weeks.  Got some time over this holiday to start working with the CNC machine, it's now up and running cutting signs for my buddy's business.  I was also able to get the CP cut and will be test fitting all the components this week.  I still have to finish the cabinet plans and a few other pieces on the CAM side then I'll be ready to print off a proto type and send up to the great white north for IDS to have his way with ;)

Great job, did you only do this panel or have you cnc'ed other stuff?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2014, 11:48:07 am »
Surrey? Have you read Patton Oswalt's book and the chapter about the 10 days he spent in Surrey?

I'm guessing it's all bad. Surrey is one of those places that has a really bad rep and once deserved it. There are still some rough pockets but it's much better than it was even 10 years ago.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »
There are still some rough pockets but it's much better than it was even 10 years ago.

Legalized abortion and the elimination of leaded gasoline are to thank for that.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »
X, Assuming a system to keep a center bar in place, a three bar might not still work right. During gameplay what is the longest tangent between stops on the bar? If you tilt the bar enough, the playable field shrinks. That could be enough to influence the gameplay when a player can use the stop as a means to move the ball. Of course that can be done on the older two bar but the distance between each point expands keeping the posts in more or less same position relative to the playfield.

A three bar with sliding stops perhaps?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »

I'm guessing it's all bad. Surrey is one of those places that has a really bad rep and once deserved it. There are still some rough pockets but it's much better than it was even 10 years ago.

Yeah, it was. He basically said the only way he'd ever return to Surrey is if he had to go there to save the world from a mythical demon, and even at that, he might just say "screw it" and let the demon win. I think the issue with Surrey wasn't so much the town as it was the experience he had with the comedy club owner there. It's a good chapter called "The Victory Tour" in his book.

orangewhip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:08 pm »
I didn't even know we had a comedy club here, and probably don't any more. I bet you it was a scummy night club and not a comedy club.

But yeah, Surrey get s huge bad rap....it was pretty bad in the 1970s but is a completely different place these days. Sure, every major city has its sketchy areas, including Surrey, but those areas are changing the most...new city hall built there, new library, tons of new high rises. Its because Surrey is quickly taking over the population of Vancouver and within a half dozen years they suspect it will be larger than Vancouver.

That being said, I also read somewhere that Patton LOVES Vancouver, and his shows in Vancouver are amongst his favorite...well, I hate to tell him but I bet you 40-50% of the people who go to the Vancouver shows are from Surrey, because we take up a huge chunk of the population, and Vancouverites are a bunch of hippy, tree-hugging, prius drivers, who probably don't even know who Patton is (no offence to Vancouverites).

Plus Vancouver being the 2nd most expensive city in the world to live, even an empty lot in Vancouver is around $1.2 million these days, most Vancouverites couldn't afford to go to a show! hahahaha

Now, let's get back to the original thread content...enough hijacking the thread about Patton and Surrey. LOL

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2014, 12:06:00 am »
What is the estimated enclosing "box" dimension of the scoreboard?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2014, 01:55:21 am »
I don't have the dimensions you are looking for, but iirc the individual components are: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9932 packed as tightly as can be on perfboard.  I've yet to solder them all up so I can't provide any more detail.  The pins on these don't perfectly line up with standard perfboard holes but it seems you could pack them in nicely.  I should be soldering soon at which point could provide more precise details.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2014, 10:33:14 am »
Holy crap, an inch high?

Are you using a decoder IC for the 16 segment or are you leaving it up to whatever controller you have under the hood? I was just looking for 14 and 16 segment decoders the other day to see what their tables look like but only found MAXIM's chip. Can't recall the part number off the top of my head but I believe it was a BCD to 16 segment programmable decoder.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2014, 03:11:14 pm »
iirc I'm using a set of four TLC5916 constant current shift registers to reduce pin count on the controller.  Two drive a single display, the four are so I drive one on each row (a column) then quickly cycle through them all.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2014, 04:46:31 pm »
No, sorry. I meant the "truth" table.

Eg BCD to 7 segment decoder IC lets you feed it 4bits and turn on the appropriate segments matching that value.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2014, 08:46:58 pm »
oh sorry, well, if I understand you better now, the "truth" table is this:  I've coded a mapping between letters, numbers, etc, and the sequence of 1's and 0's to be serialized out to the shift registers.

There is an interrupt routine scheduled to cycle the columns - it picks out the n'th letter in the string of text to be shown, looks it up in the mapping, and shifts out the 1's/0's for the column, and then switches which column is "on".  No assistance of any BCD to 7-seg or any such things - it was all brute force creating a big mapping table.  The microcontroller is doing it all.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2014, 09:20:59 pm »
I've got the same deal in mine.

Mine has, for lack of a better term, 7 bit RAW and BCD 7-segment mappings but none yet for 14 or 16 segment characters. I would be interested in your character tables if you're willing to share.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2014, 09:32:33 pm »
Sure, I'll PM the code to you

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2015, 09:56:30 pm »
I meant to get past this point during the holidays but I had some work related duties come up that took up most of my free time so I'm finally getting back to this now.  I've got the side panels laid out in my cam software, this is about the fourth iteration due to necessary tweaks and issues that come up during the design.  I'm running channels for battens and channels for the glass and playfield to reside.  Side panels I'm planning to be 3/4" stock with the body panels at 1/5".  Because my cutting surface is just 50"x50" I'll be doing it in a top and bottom.  This works out for the one I have to send up to IDS in the great white north as it can be a bartop or he can add a box, I'll likely do his in 1/2" to save on shipping.  On mine I'm toying with either doing a 3D vinyl woodgrain or carbon fibre over the sides to cover the seam and give it a nice look.  If that doesn't strike my fancy I'll do it in 1/2" and then cover the two pieces once joined with a sheet of 1/4" MDF and just buzz it with the template bit before painting. 

Still to do in cam is to lay out the front panel with the speaker, and measure all the panels so I can get those cut easily.  After that it's a matter of taking it all to the shop and seeing if it comes out how I'm picturing it. 

Might not look like much but it took me long enough to get it all worked out in my head.  If I had a ICB or ZP to work off of this would have went a lot faster but I was figuring it out as I went ;)  Can't wait to see if it actually works.

For those that care about such things it is 23.5" deep, the playfield is 34" but the viewable area is 29.5".  The PF and bezel are at a 2o angle and the CP is at a 7o.  The body panels are 23.25".  The channels for the PF and BZ are .125" deep and the batten channels are .25" deep.  I'll use 3/4x1/2 strips for the battens.  Height of what is shown is 38 3/8".

What's neat about this design is that we'll only need about 4" of clearance behind the PF so really this whole build could be about 10" deep.  It would be terribly unstable at that depth for a stand alone but as a wall mount it could work rather well.  I will do up wall mount cut plans if anyone is interested once complete.   

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:06:15 pm by Le Chuck »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »
I'd appreciate you stop stealing my ideas.... :whap

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2015, 06:07:20 am »
I'd appreciate you stop stealing my ideas.... :whap

Ha! Stealing would be waaaay easier than this, you should post those ideas and save me the time ;)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2015, 09:56:54 pm »
Have a four day weekend coming up.  Did some prep work last weekend so I'll be able to assemble, paint, and who knows what else.  Should be a lot of fun.  Prototype construction on fullsize unit begins. 

Biggest piece to get right up front is doing the joinery on the side panels.  Once joined I'll be skinning them in 1/4" stock to bring them up to 3/4" deep and add some stability.  I'm not too worried about it, if it doesn't pan I have a great routing template done ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:58:59 pm by Le Chuck »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2015, 12:13:18 am »
looks pretty slick!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:48 pm »
What a great day!  I was off work, kids had school, darling wife went shopping and to get her hair did, leaving me to my devices.  Glorious.  Got a lot done and am very pleased with how the build is coming together.  From here I still have so much to do it's not really worth listing but next few things I'd like to get accomplished this weekend are paint, glass, panel the sides with a single sheet of 1/4", and build the base (needs to sit 3.5" higher).  Maybe I'll get to a few other things but I have some other projects needing some attention this weekend as well. 

Went ahead and dropped in the coin door just to see how it looks.  I'm pretty stoked with how it is looking.

Playfield and CP detail.  Lots more to do in that area.

Detail of the front panel.  Added in "Space Base" engraved with a v-bit to the kick plate area to add a bit of eye candy.  Really happy with how that piece turned out.  This panel actually got cut twice, the first one I used an end mill and blocked in the letters but wasn't pleased with the look so I ran off a new one last night.  Much better IMO.

The view offers a very good detail of distortion that I'll need to sand out from doing the end joining.  Used the batton recesses so I couldn't mess up the alignment and then stuck the whole mess together with pocket screws.  All panels are pocket screwed and glued as well.  I'll hit those bumps with a bit of sand paper and then when I overlay the 1/4" panel it'll be like they were never there. 

View of the inside just because.

Top panel will be hinged so one can slide out the bezel and playfield as necessary.  LED lighting will go between the bezel and PF to light up the top of the PF but I need to play with that quite a bit as I'm worried about glare and whatnot. 

I love CNC machines.  Everything can fit together so nicely if you tell it to ;)

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2015, 02:46:39 pm »

Playfield and CP detail.  Lots more to do in that area.

Am I the only one that sees naked people in that hole pattern?

Looks like a good days work.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2015, 02:55:37 pm »
I looked but couldn't see naked people. And I really, REALLY wanted to.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2015, 03:00:16 pm »
Looks Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, bro!  :cheers:

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2015, 03:02:24 pm »
I nominate Space Base for the 2015 UCA in the "Full Size - Non Restoration - 2 Stick - Big Coin Door" category  ;D.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2015, 03:03:13 pm »
I nominate Space Base for the 2015 UCA in the "Full Size - Non Restoration - 2 Stick - Big Coin Door" category  ;D.

Gotta find two more to make that category, brother.  :cheers:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2015, 03:06:36 pm »
Looks spectacular!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2015, 03:07:25 pm »

johnrt

« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2015, 03:42:18 pm »

gb_phil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 04:18:30 pm
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2015, 04:46:31 pm »
Wow...that looks awesome!

Finally sat down and read through the whole thread so now I'm all caught up.  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »
Am I the only one that sees naked people in that hole pattern?
Yes! It's time to get laid now brother!  :lol

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2015, 07:04:53 pm »

The SNL commercial this GIF comes from is an all-time classic....

Nephasth

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2015, 07:29:35 pm »
For years I've wanted an ICB. But then I played one for the first time recently. Definitely dig this project though. Love the mechanical nature of the machine. :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2015, 07:35:24 pm »
That engraving on the bottom is off the hook.   :applaud:

Can you give some more information on how you did that?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:03 pm »
Thanks for the kudos guys!  It's coming along, I went to see American Sniper with a buddy (OMHFG that movie was intense - definitely hit a few nerves) and when I popped the garage door up I was so happy to see this build sitting there in the middle of the garage.  No where near complete but I've been working on this for god, almost two years in some form or fashion.  Really nice to see it starting to come alive. 

Any opinions on skinning the sides?  MDF for a black paint job (body panels will be black) or a nice wood panel and stain?  I'm leaning towards stain as homage to the inspiration machines. 

That engraving on the bottom is off the hook.   :applaud:

Can you give some more information on how you did that?

Sure, to start it's machine cut, wish I could do that by hand - there are some contraptions out there with which you can but I've never used them.  The cam software I'm using is called ArtCam.  It's not great by autocad standards but it really blurs the line between cad software and image manipulation software so it's easy for me to use being a photoshop guy.  It's able to take all the installed system fonts right into vector (unsure if all cad software does this, assume they do) and after that I just cut it apart and add some more lines to give it the look I want, same as you manipulate a font in photoshop.  Kearning, line spacing, ratios all adjustable.  I set the program to use a 1/4" 60o V bit and cut to a depth of .1" on the outside of my vectors.  The settings for that bit have it making four passes to get to full depth at a cut rate of 30 inches per minute.  This gives a super clean edge.  For comparison the panels were cut in two passes at 100 ipm so it's a big slow down. 

Having a CNC machine available completely spoils one, at least it has spoiled me.  I dread cutting things by hand now because, even tho I have good saw boards and can cut a clean line, there is something wonderful about those perfectly machined lines.  I still love my sculptural work but when I'm trying to be exact, well, nothing beats the exactness of that CNC machine.  Plus, it was really something to draw it all out before hand.  I never do that, I just get two or three key measurements in my mind and head out to the garage and build around those.  My builds kinda grow.  This needed to be spot on and it's very important to me that when it is done I can publish cut plans.  Just a different process, its new to me and I'm excited about it.     

For years I've wanted an ICB. But then I played one for the first time recently. Definitely dig this project though. Love the mechanical nature of the machine. :cheers:

Heh, I've heard something to that effect from a few people.  I can't wait till it's playable, and I think Space Base has a few features that will really improve some aspects of gameplay over ICB, but at it's heart it's still a bar and ball game.  This is such a labor of love for me it's all about the process for now. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:28:33 pm by Le Chuck »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:17 pm »
Thanks for the detail on how you did the engraving.  I've looked at those rigs that let you copy an image with a router but I can't imagine it would look nearly as nice as what you get with a CNC.

Any opinions on skinning the sides?  MDF for a black paint job (body panels will be black) or a nice wood panel and stain?  I'm leaning towards stain as homage to the inspiration machines. 

If you were serious you would hand scribe a small pattern over and over and over again into the sides using a dremel tool.   ;D

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2015, 02:58:46 pm »
Thanks for the detail on how you did the engraving.  I've looked at those rigs that let you copy an image with a router but I can't imagine it would look nearly as nice as what you get with a CNC.

If you were serious you would hand scribe a small pattern over and over and over again into the sides using a dremel tool.   ;D

HA!  This. +1 This.

:applaud:

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2015, 03:10:33 pm »
Seriously tho, paint the sides black, then do a stencil or vinyl sticker set of some geometric lines. Use the same bright green, purple, and a touch of grey as the chick on the playfield art.

That or a nice grey ash wood Formica laminate.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:12:53 pm by ChanceKJ »

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2015, 11:53:00 am »

This might sound crazy but, for the sides I'm seeing a metal/grey with rivets look.  So paint it or apply a laminate and then drive in some bolts?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »
I really like that idea, fits the artwork theme quite well

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2015, 12:52:50 pm »

This might sound crazy but, for the sides I'm seeing a metal/grey with rivets look.  So paint it or apply a laminate and then drive in some bolts?

Yeah, I think metal would keep in with the rocket/space theme as well.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »
Drill some holes in the side and use actual rivets.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
I laminated the sides in some beautiful grained 1/4 oak this weekend.  Haven't stained it yet, still working on the paint job for the body panels.  I like the ideas on the metal panels.  Wonder if I can incorporate the wood into it rather than just covering it.  I'm not opposed to skinning it in metal (and the cost of the MDF sheet to the plywood sheet was negligible) I just don't want to miss out on really capitalizing on the grain I have.  I will play with some designs of doing 1/2 skinned or even doing metal sideart that brings that space look.  I also want to call back to the original cabinets.  Kind of a tightrope design wise but I would love to hear more ideas.  Just know that if there are to be rivets involved on the sides they'll be actual rivets ;)  The same probably can't be said for the CP tho. 

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2015, 03:46:39 pm »
Rivets... that's an idea I'll use.

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2015, 05:31:38 pm »
Rivets... that's an idea I'll use.

Dammit, now I need to buy a whole other set of tools  :applaud:
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2015, 08:34:05 pm »
The paint job isn't complete, after I took this I pulled the PF, CP, and coin door back off then sanded'er down and put on what should be the last coat of black.  Anyway, here is is on the base with the sides done - minus a lot of art, controls, and t-molding this is more or less what we have to work with.  I think it looks great as is (unstained as of now) but if I can find some inspiration I'll do something creative with the sides. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2015, 08:42:10 pm »

Nice. Nice. NICE!!!!!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2015, 08:52:04 pm »
Those sides look great even unstained.  :applaud:

Did you paint the logo by hand?  It looks great.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2015, 09:19:05 pm »
Looking very good, I've had a rough night of arcade building and it's nice to be able to look at projects like this to stay motivated.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:50 pm »
Stain the sides gray, a nice deep shade, age it, then print a copy of that pin up chick and toss her on the sides.

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2015, 11:40:58 pm »
looking amazing  :applaud: - keen to see the finished product

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:37:58 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2015, 01:35:41 am »

Whatever the hell this is, it looks fantastic (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2015, 03:34:42 am »

johnrt

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2015, 07:15:43 am »
My God this is nice!!! I believed in this project from your very first post, but this is exceeding my expectations! Can you adobt me??

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2015, 09:36:52 pm »
Thanks!  This weekend is going to be a mess but the weekend after I have blocked out to do the CP with all the parts that I have on hand.  It won't be complete but it should be close enough to test out the ball return and movement mechanics.  Providing everything is copacetic there I'll be able to assemble the second one and ship it up North.  Then IDS can take over the thread for while ;)

@ PBJ - looks like your comment got nuked but I take that as high praise lol

Those sides look great even unstained.  :applaud:

Did you paint the logo by hand?  It looks great.

The logo is just the primer with me rollering the black over the top of the grooves lol.  It's filled in black now that I put on the last two coats (one wouldn't cut it) and will eventually fill in the v-grooves by hand with either silver or a highlight color.  I'm leaning towards silver tho. 

My God this is nice!!! I believed in this project from your very first post, but this is exceeding my expectations! Can you adobt me??

1) Thanks!
2) Are you a 17 yr old girl of Asian heritage who has a birthday coming up in the next few months?  If so PM me details and I'll fax over the paperwork and ship a box with prepaid postage so you can show up at my doorstep. 

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:37:58 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:29 pm »

Ahhh! Very nice indeed! I find it very hard to replicate something that already exists (witness my failed 1/4 scale Space Invaders cab) So I have nothing but  :notworthy: particularly since I guess this isn't a particularly well documented machine (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2015, 12:02:41 am »
I played Ice Cold Beer for the first time in my life tonight and finally get what all the hubbub is about.  I'm all in for this project.   :cheers:

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:41 am »
Are you going to sell this at retail?  Or through operators with routes?  How do you see this getting out to the public?  Some where I got the idea this was going to be for sale.

It looks neat.  It all seems like the sort of thing that could be expanded on.  Are you going to have "new missions," with new playfields and sounds and vocals?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »
Are you going to sell this at retail?  Or through operators with routes?  How do you see this getting out to the public?  Some where I got the idea this was going to be for sale.

It looks neat.  It all seems like the sort of thing that could be expanded on.  Are you going to have "new missions," with new playfields and sounds and vocals?

Step 1:  Working Unit
Step 2:  Release the cut plans, art, schematics, part lists to the community
Step 3:  ? ? ?
Step 4:  Profit

Seriously tho, this is a labor of love, I have no intention of trying to have this be "the next thing".  I have thought about doing a limited run but I have a full time job, everyone else working on this has a full time job, and we are doing it for the fun of the project.  Me, IDS, and Eds1275 are guaranteed one for cost of parts.  We know raw costs what this project is approx. going to run when complete but haven't run the traps on what a run would cost/do to us. 

As far as different modes, art, PFs etc - that's why we're releasing it to the community.  That's your job man.  That said, for the sound, we have enough sound cuts that with some creative programming it's very likely that every game of Space Base played will sound unique from now until the end of time.  Something about a quintillion different sound combinations or something. 

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »

This. Is. Awesome. Congrats, Le Chuck! She's a beauty.

johnrt

« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2015, 06:56:27 pm »
Man! I'm so excited by this project, I'm just jumping up and down to not ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- myself!
Really: On a want-one-myself scale from 1 to 10, this is a ∞!!!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2015, 05:19:54 pm »
Man! I'm so excited by this project, I'm just jumping up and down to not ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- myself!

...I don't know if you understand how to not ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- yourself properly!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2015, 05:29:41 pm »

...I don't know if you understand how to not ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- yourself properly!
Depends.   >:D

Scott

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2015, 05:32:27 pm »

Depends.   >:D

Scott

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »
Was able to get some more body work knocked out and did the primary construction on the playfield - this is the one that I will pack up and send North next week but dropped it into the build so I could see how it will look once complete. 

Detail of ball return on the back side, used some bondo to finish out the funnel I needed to ensure the ball goes down to the ball gate each time.  The next is the PF with vinyl applied and guide holes punched.  Then is was short work with the palm router and a laminate trimmer bit to clean it all up nice and purdy.

Back of the PF, the five sided shape is the back stop of the ball return with guide holes drilled for LEDs.  Also not installed are the switches we'll be using, but the panel slides out and those are an easy install - minus the wiring assache. 

Decided to go with silver for the engraved logo, I like it.  Also, used the original sideart as a custom back door piece since I'm reworking the sideart for now. 

I'm also still playing with the CPO so I haven't printed that yet, and I need to do a bunch of other detail stuff (custom stickers, warnings, labels, tags etc) but I am just really pleased with how it's looking so far.  Of course, once the electronics are done I'll need to cut out the white from the bezel score area but didn't want to fiddle with that for now. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2015, 06:09:22 pm »
Looks SWEET, my friend!

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2015, 06:10:50 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:33:25 pm by Louis Tully »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2015, 06:52:04 pm »
Don't jinx them, bro! It's not working yet!  >:D

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2015, 08:56:11 pm »
He he heh,  trousers messed... Had to do it, well deserved though....

Nice work sir!!!!!! :applaud:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2015, 08:58:54 pm »

I would actually agree that this is trousers-messing worthy.  :cheers:

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2015, 09:12:42 pm »

I would actually agree that this is trousers-messing worthy.  :cheers:

+1

And he's a chiver   :cheers:

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2015, 09:13:34 pm »
looking amazing so far!

Nephasth

« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2015, 10:12:54 pm »
SUPER clean. :applaud:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2015, 11:40:51 pm »
Masterfully done  :cheers:

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2015, 03:16:27 am »
That looks amazing  :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2015, 03:25:35 am »
So, yeah... best Fullsize Dedicated of 2015.
+1
I don't see anyone topping this.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:27:35 am by johnrt »

bfauska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2015, 04:04:34 am »
So, yeah... best Fullsize Dedicated of 2015.
+1
I don't see anyone topping this.
Just to play devil's advocate and reiterate the jinx aspect... someone could top it by just finishing if this goes the way of some of the greats from years past and doesn't finish this calendar year. But otherwise this project has so much cool stuff it's going to be awesome when it does finish. I really like the mechanical type of games and hadn't thought of them as BYO possibilities before.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2015, 11:13:31 am »
Thanks guys!  There is a lot left to do but we're more than half way for sure.  Music is in the can, the program works - just needs to be tested with the hardware to sure they work together (may need to bump up to stepper motors once we can start play testing), we're sure to have hiccups making sure that lights are visible where we want them visible, limit switches are in the right place, everything is adjusted so the ball consistently stays on the bar - stuff like that.  My 50m target tho is getting the PF packed up so it doesn't get damaged in transit and sent off because until that PF gets to Canada this project is essentially frozen.  I just had to make sure that it would fit together the way we designed it.  So far it does so we're on to step 2 (which is actually step 35 or something like that ;) )

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2015, 11:59:07 am »
That looks fantastic.  The wood-grain on the sides looks great with the black front.   :applaud:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2015, 01:56:04 pm »
Nice route.  Always wanted a cnc...

Been having some rough times lately,  but thought id offer a little more advice before its regrettable.

The bar hinge mounts you have are not as robust as the originals.. and I suspect they wont hold up too well for duration of use.

See if you can get someone to send closeups of the mounts.   

Even the originals had their weak points.  I had to rebuild my assembly.  I was fortunate to find a hobby shop that sold the thin walled tubing that matched the original spec.  I drilled the holes, and then injected some hot glued into the tubes ends to keep them still so they wouldnt bend/flex/loosen. .. and while hot, inserted the mounts in place.

The tube thickness is important.  Too.thick... and there will be a drop off and or hop point... where one bar meets the next.  You cant have a sticky spot on a game like this.. as it will throw off the much needed, and quite critical, gameplay control.

I ended up using brass, cause I thought it looked great... and was a better match for the look of a bar themed game.   However,  after considering it more after the fact... I was thinking that the original tube may have better durability and less friction, with long term use.  I think I at least clear coat sprayed them lightly after polishing them.

I wondering if a 3 tube / bar  system wouldnt be a better idea. A system to lock the main bar in center would be needed.

As for the surface and hole internals... you want these glass smooth.  Any surface friction will ruin gameplay.. as the ball may get slowed or stuck.  Dust often was the cause... and it was so badly effecting gameplay, that I had to take the entire machine apart,  cleaning every surface... including the ball routing trails.

Probably want to use a laminate, and or a plexi covering. The holes will probably need plastic tube inserts... else the ball will wear them quite quickly... especially if using mdf.  Plastic will also be easier to clean.

Dont merely rely on paint.  Balls rolling over a painted and.or even a lightly clearcoated surface... will still tear it apart quickly.   On pinballs,  the longest lasting machines playfields have a clear mylar film glued on them.

Remember... mechanics are brutal.  Friction, wear, mass, collisions... all a factor.  Enough smahing... and things get loose.  Loose parts cause misalignment. .. which causes grinding wear... which escalates quickly into permanent functionality problems.

I just now caught this post - there are some pretty good recommendations here so I'll address most of this as it might be of interest to somebody doing the same later on. 

The PF is primed, painted, and vinyl'd.  The vinyl does have a protective covering but we'll have to see how that lasts.  Doing an a clear acetate overlay might be required but I'll wait and see how it stands up.  The holes are all painted and the score holes are sanded out very well but are just MDF and paint.  If I can find a right pipe with the proper ID it might be worth doing an insert so that's a good idea.  The out holes are large enough that I don't anticipate an issue. 

I used hot glue on the ball stops since they aren't internally threaded, the bars are steel tube and the larger of the two goes right to the stop of the smaller to minimize the step down, and to minimize that further I ground it down to a beveled ramp.  The attachment points to the linear bearings is a concern, I looked at small machinist rod ends and if the rods don't hold up I'll go that way as well.  I didn't because - although there are forces on these parts - I anticipate them to be below the reasonable wear point of the equipment, and the cost saved if worth the potential hassle of replacement.  If I built it out for commercial application I'd make similar decisions but lean towards being more robust. 

Again, this is prototype and once we can playtest if I need to make adjustments I can.  One thing that I've read is problematic on ZP and ICB is the chutes and scoring system.  We've eliminated the chutes entirely and the scoring system is magnetic non contact but requires more testing.  Providing that works we'll have take care of major wear out issues of the original.  Still have to replace drive bands from time to time tho. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2015, 07:11:51 am »
 :notworthy:

blkdog7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2015, 04:43:38 pm
  • Mushroom Kingdom, MA
    • John's Arcade
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2015, 10:23:47 am »
Wow, just wow! You did a great job on this so far. Can't wait to see it working!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2015, 11:38:18 pm »
You will be hard pressed to find a set of tubing of a specific material with the desired IDs without compromising.

I needed clear tubing so I attempted to get a set of tubes with the right ID. I could find one tube that matched, two if I wanted "good enough" but not three sizes without making compromises I didn't want to make. Worse, the plastic tubes I selected cracked under the slightest awkward pressure.  Straight flush cuts by hand isn't my idea of calming.

One compromise would be to find tubes of any material for the lining, mix and match materials as it were. Might have more luck finding tubes of the right ID than I did. I couldn't make that compromise myself.

I sound like X when I say this, but I have alternative ideas that might do the trick.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2015, 07:36:53 am »
You will be hard pressed to find a set of tubing of a specific material with the desired IDs without compromising.

I needed clear tubing so I attempted to get a set of tubes with the right ID. I could find one tube that matched, two if I wanted "good enough" but not three sizes without making compromises I didn't want to make. Worse, the plastic tubes I selected cracked under the slightest awkward pressure.  Straight flush cuts by hand isn't my idea of calming.

One compromise would be to find tubes of any material for the lining, mix and match materials as it were. Might have more luck finding tubes of the right ID than I did. I couldn't make that compromise myself.

I sound like X when I say this, but I have alternative ideas that might do the trick.

Actually I've already researched this and it's very easy since I don't have to worry about light transmission I can just use metals.
.64" ID non ferrous aluminum pipe for the score holes at ~$2/ft  That's aluminum only because I need to use the magnasphere switches in the score holes and don't want interference. 

tons of other IDs in steel to get me within a 1/1000th of an inch to what I require I don't know why I would bother to pipe the outholes tho since they are so much larger than the ball the chances of them sticking are slim; however, if I decided to I could get the whole board done for about $35 more - which is more cost than I'm currently willing to sink into those holes.  It would be a simple matter of updating the hole diameters on my g-code, using a cut wheel on my miter saw and a block stop to get them down to the right depth, and epoxying them into the slots. 

Rather than be all cloak and dagger you could just open up your thread again and actually start posting some pics and stuff in it about your ICB styled adventure.  I don't have the best ideas in town - that's why this thread is here, to help me get good solutions.  We might be able to help you do the same. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:40:03 am by Le Chuck »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:03 am »
I haven't posted much because there isn't much to show. I have more broken parts and pieces than anything worth photographing.

Edit: after a bit of consideration, i think you're probably right. I'll make a specific project announcement sometime in the next two weeks or so (however long it takes to get my docs in one place)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:45:31 am by SavannahLion »

xefned

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 01:28:30 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »

Incredibly ambitious and super cool.   :applaud:

It looks like an improvement over the original thematically!!

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2015, 09:29:07 pm »
Wow!  Been a while since I logged into the BYOAC forums and I find this.  Holy  :censored: ! Good work guys.  Now finish this so I can add yet another build to my list of things wanted.

sushy18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2018, 02:28:42 am
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2016, 10:49:14 am »
Hi,
amazing job !!!
there is some news about this project ?
is it possible to have/buy some cnc plan?
I'm new in this forum i can't PM the author.

if he/you read me, i'will be glad to read you.

best regards

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2016, 02:59:23 pm »
Welcome aboard, Shushy18.   ;D

Your PMs should be working now.   :cheers:

Scott

XXVII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2018, 10:58:25 am
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2016, 06:56:28 pm »
Hey Le Chuck, IDS, and eds1275,

We're years late to the party, but a gaggle of us on Pinside have only recently discovered and been inspired by your incredible project and we would love to give a go at building our own based off your pioneering work. You mentioned in the first post of this thread that you were planning to open source the whole thing. Will that still happen?

Some of us have a vague idea of how to move forward, but we're stuck on various issues. For example, how did you guys make the telescoping rod? Did it have to be custom fabricated or were there some off-the-shelf components that you were able to modify into it?

Would love to hear your insight. Thanks, and great work!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2016, 07:50:15 am »
Hey everyone, I'm glad to see this still has some interest.  It certainly isn't dead but it has been moving slowly for the last year or so.  A lot of life changes for several team members that had to be sorted out before work could resume, myself included!

All that said, I will be getting back into this shortly.  I'll be fabbing up a second playfield (the first is with IDS) and I'll do a step by step build up on that.  I can't put a deadline on anything past that but I'll be starting the playfield in August as soon as I finish the panel I'm building for my boys. 

Once complete everything will go open source, the reason we aren't do releases as we go is because things are still in flux and I personally don't want to put out bad poop, have someone spend money, get ahead of me only to find out it doesn't work as advertised.  Plans, parts lists, music, code, the works.

As it stands now the only truly custom fabricated bits are on the ball the return (which is simple) and the circuit boards (which is supposedly simple for those in the know but might as well be rocket surgery for me).  Everything else is off-the-shelf modded or tooled. 

Regular updates to recommence soon.  Thanks!

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2016, 06:22:51 pm »
I for one am still interested. Just patiently waiting in the corner.

skipper.nick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2018, 11:31:44 am
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2018, 11:04:57 pm »
Hi!

Really love the artwork and designs! Seems like you have put alot of work into this project and made it pretty far! Gorgeous!

Was it ever finished?

You mentioned wanting to release the designs as open source once done. Great :) Even if you never finished it, I for one would LOVE LOVE any files, templates, diagrams etc that you produced along the way. Even if never completed it would give one a HUGE head start on making a similar game. Full disclaimer of work in progress understood and accepted :)

Please consider! Thanks in advance!!!

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2018, 06:54:43 pm »
Yes... an update would rock!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:50 am »
I wrote the music and did some sound effects. Unfortunately since then I got divorced, lost my house/audio studio, got robbed, got really sick and nearly died, went blind in one eye and am currently renting a room in a friend's place "for a month or two" beginning 16 months ago. Things are on the up though, looking at real estate Wednesday and hoping to lock in an offer on a place that's big enough for my audio business and lifestyle (the blindness is pretty crippling, I can't enjoy reading or television, video games with decent graphics. Anything visual just gives me headaches due to my dumb eye straining to focus - but for some reason I am still legal to ride a motorcycle [I CHOOSE NOT TO THOUGH.]) I just play an obscene amount of guitar while I'm not working. It's not all bad. But currently I'm not set up to do anything more than edit audio or work with one of two microphones since most of my belongings are in storage.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2018, 05:09:30 pm »
IDS is wrapping up the back end hardware now. There may have been a litany of personal issues on his end as well, and life has decidedly kept me from doing much of anything arcade related for quite some time.

Rest assured, at some point in the future, there will likely be another post by me telling everyone that we'll have something soon.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2018, 05:11:15 pm »
I wrote the music and did some sound effects. Unfortunately since then I got divorced, lost my house/audio studio, got robbed, got really sick and nearly died, went blind in one eye and am currently renting a room in a friend's place "for a month or two" beginning 16 months ago. Things are on the up though, looking at real estate Wednesday and hoping to lock in an offer on a place that's big enough for my audio business and lifestyle (the blindness is pretty crippling, I can't enjoy reading or television, video games with decent graphics. Anything visual just gives me headaches due to my dumb eye straining to focus - but for some reason I am still legal to ride a motorcycle [I CHOOSE NOT TO THOUGH.]) I just play an obscene amount of guitar while I'm not working. It's not all bad. But currently I'm not set up to do anything more than edit audio or work with one of two microphones since most of my belongings are in storage.

Jeeeeeesus. Bro. Wow. My condolences man. Fucksake that's terrible.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2018, 10:29:44 pm »
Jeeeeeesus. Bro. Wow. My condolences man. Fucksake that's terrible.

Ha thanks luckily I've been on the mend and can laugh at myself. Things are, as I said, looking up.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:29:49 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #212 on: May 22, 2018, 04:03:29 am »
I am glad you can live with a positive outlook. It will make a big difference in the quality of your life.

I am glad you are doing better. The universe kicked you in the balls pretty hard.

luquio2008

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2018, 07:14:16 am
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2018, 07:38:48 pm »
you can share your project and files?

I would need if possible the design of the playing field please.

thank you very much!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2019, 09:41:17 pm »
Ummm, hi guys. Long time no progress on this one.

Actually, that's not entirely the case. There has been progress thanks to IDS keeping this going. I'll quickly catch everyone up to what happened and where we're at.

Four years ago, (almost exactly) I packaged up the playfield and sent it to Canada so IDS could do all the stuff he said he'd do. And he did! He did it through some major life changes and things that other people would've walked away from, he kept plugging away. There has been a working playfield with him for well over a year now.

Now, it's been said often enough, but I'm an idiot. When I sent the playfield to IDS I had every intention of building another one right away...but I didn't. And then I moved five times between then and now (holy cats my life is nuts) and forgot what I was doing and lost a bunch of pieces and by the time IDS sent me a box of beautiful wires and boards and everything I needed to complete this project (damn near a year ago) I had completely forgotten what the hell I was doing. Literally lol.

So, I've started the slow and painful process of reacquainting myself with Space Base. The past several weeks I've been slowly gathering materials and this weekend I carved out some time to put some things together. I've also cleared my plate of all other hobby-related projects so there is nothing stopping forward progress on this other than my intense love of Netflix.

Too much talky-talk. More picy-pic.

I was no joke starting from scratch, had to order new servos, new pulley wheels, find brackets that would work. The whole nine yards. Got everything together and did the necessaries.

I still had the bearing brackets, but had to thread them. Build the rods and stops. Made some minor changes from the first iteration. At least I remembered some of the things I wanted to change, like cutting two different length spacers since the rods are different diameters, using threaded spacers, things like that.

I made the ball return hole a bit steeper this time as well. Modified the gate a bit, and did it in plexi as a test. I'll go back and fab it in aluminum once I'm happy with it.

Here we are ready to bondo and prep for vinyl on the front.

Backside getting the glue up done for the ball channel.

I still need to fab up a half dozen different brackets, bondo in the ball return channel, and just a ton of other little things to get back to where I was four years ago lol. Probably another weekend worth of prep work, and then I'll be ready to start the actual new (for me) part of this build, adding the switches, wiring, displays, power, and you know, the actual game part of this game. 

Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks for being patient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEFMDqMiOBk&feature=youtu.be#
Here's an old video that IDS probably doesn't want me to show off, but proof positive that all this stuff actually does something!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2019, 09:55:58 pm »
Glad to see this coming along again!

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2019, 09:57:42 pm »
I was hoping this was one of the projects you planned on finishing.  :applaud:
%Bartop

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: March 03, 2019, 10:06:19 pm »
Glad to see this again Le chuck. Definatly one of the ones I will build in the future. Looks fun as hell.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #218 on: March 03, 2019, 10:08:11 pm »
Bad ass. Great to see you pushing forward on this. The last project I’m following here.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #219 on: March 03, 2019, 11:05:25 pm »
Glad this isn't dead.  One of the best projects ever on this site.   :cheers:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2019, 03:14:06 pm »
Some details on the electrical side.... (if you spot anything that looks out of place, please advise, I've never studied this stuff)

First, driving things that light up.  Behind each of the 10 holes you can score on is an RGB LED - that's 30 lines to switch on and off.  The use of 4 TLC5916 constant current drivers handles this nicely.  They are very much like a standard shift register with the added bonus of the constant current part.  Then there is the segmented display; 9 units, 16 segments, you do the math.  For this, we're driving one column at a time and rapidly switching.  So that means only 32 segments have to be dealt with at a time.  Oddly, the LED driver circuit needed for the RGB's supports exactly 32 outputs.  So we need two of these:

The "Display Controller Addition" part is only needed for driving the segmented displays.  Transistors are MPSA56.  All resistors are 1k.  Caps are .1uF (optional)

All CLK and LE lines are connected together.  SDI from first chip is fed from the KL25z.  SDO of one chip connects to SDI of the next chip.  Resistor values are around 950 - 1k should be fine. (see spec sheet for the formula to use for your LEDs)
Vcc connects to your 5V supply - note that it will have to be beefy enough to drive everything.
The KL25Z pins shown in brownish on the left of diagram (PTD0/1/2)
Outputs I've wired to a 34-line ribbon cable to make things easy.
The game does software PWM, allowing for 255 intensity levels for each line/colour.

For the RGB driver, output 0 is red for first hole, output 1 is greed, 2 is blue.  Then hole 2 red, green, blue, etc.
The software has a "test mode" which, among other things, lets you cycle through turning on one line at a time, so you can verify all your connections are good.

For the segmented display driver, all lines are used, 16 for row one, 16 for row two.  The mapping of the SDI/CLK/LE lines to the KL25z pins is not as shown (will use PTE2/3, PTB11).  Segmented display driver also needs a column driver - the 74HC595 is a good fit for this, and add 5 transistors to source current for each column.  This means we can shift out an extra 8 bits and latch it all in one go.
Outputs are wired in sequence to the segments as per this table (hex codes refer to which line to light up, and can be ignored):

J   0X01
A1  0x02
K   0X04
H   0X08
A2  0x10
F   0X20
B   0x40
G2  0X80
G1  0X100
E   0X200
C   0x400
D1  0X800
L   0X1000
N   0X2000
D2  0X4000
M   0X8000

This should make wiring easy, sort of follows pins, top to bottom, left to right.  Pin 1 of the seg-disp unit is not connected, so first in the list is the top right pin (pin 24, the J segment), then second from top on right (A1), second from top on left (K), etc.  I've coded a table mapping characters to appropriate segments to  light up, so it's easy to ask for any text to be displayed.  The code also takes care of flipping through the columns.
You can refer to pinout here https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/LED/7-Segment/yetda%20green%20alphanumeric%20S-10012RGU11.pdf

Quick note on "test mode" - if you hold both start buttons during power up, it goes into a test mode.  Since P1 start is used to move to the next phase of this mode, it's probably best to release P1 start then P2 start as you enter this mode.
It begins by turning all lights to white.  If something is wrong, it should show up quickly at this point.
Use left stick down to flip red-green-blue from hole light 1 all the way up to 10.  Right down to reset back to light 1 red.
P1 start to go to next mode - test hole switches.  Place something metallic by each mag switch and it will turn on the light behind it when detected (display also shows which hole is detected).
P1 start to go to next mode - motor test - just moves motors according to joysticks; simple.
P1 start to exit test mode
I found it handy for testing that wiring is all good, things are powered, etc.  More options can be added as needed.

Boot sequence is as such:
initialize hardware
put "power/on" on display
test mode, if start buttons pressed
quick colour cycle of led's
if gate switch not closed, display "No/ball"
wait a few seconds (for r-pi) -- load config and hi-scores if found
initialize game loop with attract mode....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:36:47 pm by ids »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2019, 03:34:43 pm »
I created a trivial motor board for convenience.  It has no components on it, just wire.  But using 3-pin headers provided an easy spot to connect the motors to power them, and their control lines.

kl25Z pins are shown here as well.

There are 10 hole switches, which is a lot of mcu pins.  To bring down the count from 10 lines to 4 we use a CD40147.  Note that each switch line needs to be pulled up or the pins are floating, resulting in a random output.  Vcc here will connect to the 3.3V line, as it's outputs connect to the micro, which cannot tolerate 5V.

To know when the ball is waiting at the bottom, I went with the QRB1134, tied to an analog line.  (When the bar comes down and releases the ball, the code waits a half-second-ish before allowing the bar to move up, to avoid trapping the ball back in the hole.)  I used this rather than another mag-switch, as the  latter requires rather close proximity and I wasn't sure I could have things lined up just right.

I've also created a board to sit on top of the KL25z to break things out in a simpler way (and because a year from now I'll forget everything, something will get disconnected, and that'll be the end of it).  There was room, so I stuck the CD40147 on here.  Using stackable headers here and on the kl25z makes for an easy connection, and leaves all pins available.  You can see here the R-Pi is connected to a serial line, not USB as stated earlier.  I found the usb to be very finicky and unstable at times, whereas using serial at 115200 has been rock solid.  So there is the breakout for the R-Pi, including power.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:56:27 pm by ids »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:02 pm »
I'm glad this is going on! Although I haven't done any work on it I am crazy organized and have all my audio files still. I recently got the verdict that there's just nothing left to save of my left eye and it's just a blurry mess that can't be fixed. I have started work writing another game of my own, another trackball game. I have some of the assets done and am going to leave it where it is until the game plays how I want it to before I start adding all the polish. I'm dirt poor since after I got sick it really gave my employment opportunities a beating but I have recently applied for more jobs in my area and hopefully someone will give me something better than what I have currently. At least where I work now I have extra time in the day to work on my own projects!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2019, 10:29:23 am »
Eds, sorry to hear about your troubles.  I hope things pick up for you.  The audio you did for this is amazing.  If you're interested in getting a SpaceBase going, I can contribute the electrical side to the cause, and I'm sure we can find a way to complete the rest.  Let me know.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2019, 11:45:22 am »
Eds, sorry to hear about your troubles.  I hope things pick up for you.  The audio you did for this is amazing.  If you're interested in getting a SpaceBase going, I can contribute the electrical side to the cause, and I'm sure we can find a way to complete the rest.  Let me know.

Absolutely, I’m down as well for hardware and fabricated items.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2019, 12:24:32 pm »
Hey Thanks guys!

I absolutely would love to, however priority for me currently is getting a space to live that is my own. I currently have an awful 7x9 foot bedroom for privacy, and shared everything else with a friend and her army of children. I need to get out!!!!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2019, 06:59:58 pm »
Just wanted to add... created a few boards at them cheapo fab plants across the ocean

This is to drive the segmented display.  I created an almost identical one without the column driver bits (stuff on the left, the last shift register and transistors) to drive the RGB's behind the holes:

And one for the segmented displays themselves.  Sadly these are no longer available and I'm not sure if similar units can be found.

Earlier post shows the one which mounts on the KL25z as well.  With a few wires and solder, it all comes together fairly easily.

Someone who knows electics may laugh, but I think I did ok for not knowing this stuff.  And it seems to work, no fires so far :)

gerber files upon request.  (I do have a couple spare units, but a set is going to Le Chuck and a set on reserve for eds....)  Created using DesignSpark - those files, again, available on request.

Eds, man, wish you the best, you deserve it
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:01:31 pm by ids »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2019, 09:18:55 pm »
That is so ridiculously cool, can’t wait to get my set so I can’t have to solder all that from scratch!

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2019, 12:12:33 pm »
Thought I'd fill in some more details and provide a pictorial view of the progress from early days to now....

This began a while back with a lot of breadboard.  You can see the sd card which held audio files from Eds, the KL25z micro, etc.  Just above the speaker, small chip is a simple audio amp.  The LED's are simulating the hole lights (and were used to convey debug info).  On the right, a long row of switches to simulate the hole switches.  Somewhere in that mess of wires are switches to simulate the joysticks.  So glad to have moved off the breadboard.  This is before Le Chuck shipped the playfield and related components.

Once stuff arrived, I used a dremel and appropriate bit to create a groove to bury wires in, mounted the mag-switches and connected it all.  I later used a hot glue gun to hold it all in place.  I ran the wires upwards to exit at the top as it seemed easiest and least likely to get in the way of the ball.

Next up is installing the 5mm RGB LED's.  Again, using ribbon cable here - with 30 lines to connect, it was a natural fit, and lets us use standard 34 pin 2 row floppy-cable style connectors and cabling.

I don't seem to have pics handy... limit switches were added to the back of the beast, triggered by the metal block things that hold the ends of the bar.  These are all tied to interrupts, so we can immediately stop the motors.  At the bottom, they are at different heights.  This is to work the exit-gate mechanism properly, and it also helps the ball exit fully onto the bar.  In early testing I found that if we allowed the user to move the bar up at the instant the ball was no longer detected at the gate, the ball could get pushed back in, or jam in the gate, etc.  So an angled bar and a delay in the code makes for a fine solution.

With that in place, it was time to get off the breadboard and get serious.  To drive the RGB LED's we have our first board full of TLC5916 chips.  It was not fun pulling apart the ribbon cable, stripping, soldering, and then trying to figure out why some LED's didnt light up at first...  Ugh

Then to translate 10 hole switches to the minimal input pins on the micro, we have the CD40147.  For this I crimped some ribbon cable and used the connectors you see here.  10 inputs, pull-ups, 4 outputs, power....

Since the motors have 3-pin female connectors, the best way to deal with power and signal was to create a simple board to bring it all together:

The display, this one was not fun to solder.  I stripped some cables to run across the rows of seg. units, and some to run the common lines for columns.  You can see wire exposed at regular intervals here - this is to connect to the same pin on each display unit across a row.  Getting all that soldering into tight spots was challenging, and I never did complete it all in the end.  I sent the partially complete bit to a brave man who said he could wrap it up, but perhaps might change his mind when I ship the fabbed board his way.

Even with these boards in place, the rats nest of wires everywhere drove me nuts, and every once in a while, something got loose and things didn't work quite right and I'd forget which wire went where or to which pin of the micro, and troubleshooting was less fun than making progress...  So I thought I'd make my own boards - both to pretty things up, and to make it so that in 10 years, if there is a need to disconnect and reconnect things, I won't need to find a manual, it will just fit.  At first I tried the toner transfer method method but could not get the toner to transfer well enough.  I picked up a mini CNC to etch them, but had z issues and ruined a bunch of copper (I will eventually resolve this one).  In the end, the easiest thing to do was send boards off for fabbing - this was a new experience and one I've come to like, the results are something I am mostly happy with.  (I say "mostly" because this was a learning experience, I could have done things a little better, they works fine... live and learn)

Hole lights driver:

display driver - sorry, blurry pic and missing the caps and stuff but gives you the idea.  Even tho we are driving only 5 columns, I broke out a spot for a sixth (had the room), and  the remain 2 outputs of the shift register are available, as is the shifted data-out from it, so this board, in theory, could drive 8 columns, and be chained to other shift registers off board (see, I'm learning... :) ).

The microcontroller "hat" (or whatever the cool kids are calling them these days).  Here I also broke out some extra power connects, both 5V and 3.3V (and gnd of course).  Using arduino style stackable headers lets this pop right onto the micro, and still expose all lines for whatever you may want to use it for in the future.  Dips let you customize some bits of the game without the need to find a way to write updates to the config file on the SD card mounted in the R-Pi (e.g. difficulty level)

And display... for this I designed the board to hold all 10 display units, even tho the game calls for 9 (you can leave any spots blank).  I've lit all segments in one column here:

I think that does it for my contributions here, unless anyone has a question.  The software side doesn't have any nice pics, so... guess I'm done.  I imagine Le Chuck will continue to post the proper sort of build progress type of stuff we've all become accustomed to
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:46:31 pm by ids »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: March 07, 2019, 09:36:48 pm »
Y’all don’t even realize how next level this is. Build your own boards!! Dayumm

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2019, 08:15:53 pm »
Another set of pics. Trying to carve out some time each weekend to work a bit on this. Next week I may tackle some cabinet issues that have been languishing for several years, or may dive into the wiring. Either way, I need to fab up a final ball gate out of aluminum. Also, sorry the pics are sideways. They aren't on my computer, and when I clicked on them in the post a pic thread they displayed correctly. Unsure what's up.

I made some minor changes to how the ball return backboard is supported in this version, which meant that I had to change up how I made the ball return. Getting started here. 

Filled the void with bondo so I could carve it down.

No wiring on the back yet, but here's where we're at. Pretty clean in appearance.

First time she's had a partially complete playfield installed in four years.

Minus needing to finish the ball gate, I'm back where I was in 2015 lol. That said, I'm much further along now thanks to IDS and all his work in getting this actually going. Now I'll start chipping away with no-kidding real-new progress on this odyssey next week.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2019, 04:15:40 pm »
Had never heard about Ice Cold Beer until reading this thread.  Stumbled on one at a new Arcade shop in San Fran, game is incredible.

Likewise you guys are hitting home runs with this thing from what I can tell.  Very much looking forward to the completion of the build, especially if you still plan on releasing all the plans/files ;-)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:03 am »
If you like ICB then you should track down Fire Escape.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: March 23, 2019, 11:30:59 pm »
Agree with Arroyo.  If y'all release plans or something to build one of these I'm down. Hell I'd even pay you for y'alls work this is so awesome. 

Not to mention IDS' circuit boards he made. I've played around with that myself. A definate learning curve.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2019, 11:33:58 pm »
This is an ambitious project. I hope it gets completed.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2019, 11:59:05 pm »
Had never heard about Ice Cold Beer until reading this thread.  Stumbled on one at a new Arcade shop in San Fran, game is incredible.

Likewise you guys are hitting home runs with this thing from what I can tell.  Very much looking forward to the completion of the build, especially if you still plan on releasing all the plans/files ;-)

We’re gonna have fun a Zapcon. Last year, MikeA, Neph and I were smitten by Fire Escape. Hopefully it’s there this year. There was an IBC next to it but it kept breaking down. These cabs are really difficult to keep functional due to the nature of the belt system.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2019, 09:52:08 pm »
Boards from Canada are en route, hopefully, will be in soon. In the meantime, I've chipped away at a few things

Bits and pieces for the score hole lights. These weren't made for RGBs so I had to do some cutting on the inserts, all should be well now.

All put together, I have some wiring shots but they aren't uploaded so I'll try them again next time.

Redid the ball gate to my liking. Decided to stick with plexi just because I had it about the shop and it's easy to work.

Still doing touch up on the cab. Need to repaint some spots that have been rubbed in all the moves over the last few years. CP isn't done yet but put on the carbon fiber vinyl. Went back to the drawing board on the rest, plan on using two or three colors of vinyl and going crazy with my cri-cut for a fitting design. Also, cut out the areas where I'll mount the score display and took care of some other small issues.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2019, 11:10:13 pm »
Looking slick! Are you planning on painting the edges of the holes?
%Bartop

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2019, 07:49:45 am »
Looking slick! Are you planning on painting the edges of the holes?

Dyeing them, but yes.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2019, 02:40:53 am »
That is far out. Love the purple gal graphic.

TomDK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2022, 06:46:01 am
« Reply #240 on: May 05, 2019, 01:38:20 pm »
Excellent work !!

I am in need of CAD-Files for the whole ICB cabinet. I found only death links within the internet. Maybe someone can help me.
Background: I bought a ICB with a very bad cabinet so I would like to rebuild it instead of fixing the old with water damage.

Thanks

Tom

M3talhead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2020, 07:35:12 pm
  • Dont let Donkey Kong use your toilet.......
« Reply #241 on: May 13, 2019, 10:01:07 am »
Hurry up and finish it already.

THE PEOPLE DEMAND SATISFACTION!!!!!
Signature tags are dumb.

tnjent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2019, 04:54:05 pm
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:01 pm »
I want to build one...can you post link to the dimensions to the game board?

yuppicide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2023, 09:19:36 pm
« Reply #243 on: April 15, 2020, 10:39:35 pm »
This is totally what I want to do, however, I wanna make one where the playfield is taller.. maybe 9 or 12 feet tall.

I was also thinking I'd like to build one where the playfields can be swapped out for different ones.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2020, 05:39:52 pm »
Soooo... any updates on this project?  I was just explaining Ice Cold Beer to my kids and thought of this. 

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 07:19:50 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2020, 12:51:15 am »
I wouldn't be the one to (necro?)bump this thread... but since it's at the front page anyway, I'll say - this is a beautiful machine and I hope to see it finished one day.

Number6

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2020, 02:24:14 pm
« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2020, 11:58:28 am »
Wow, I love, your ICB version, too cool!
My husband is a retired electrical engineer and like you is wanting to build a version all his own.
He was super inspired by what you did and the overall look, truly spectacular!

My question is how did you know the hole spacing and board depth? Is there a template available somewhere?

I would LOVE to be able to help him find this piece of the puzzle. He can do the electronics with no problems, but needs some guidance on the actual board.
Any help you or any other member can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Dudah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:24:09 am
« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2020, 01:18:52 pm »
I also want to build one of these!

Anyone able to provide scans of a playfield or cabinet?