Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ArcadeVGA 5000 issue with R-Type and Kung Fu Master  (Read 4592 times)

Andypc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2021, 11:25:45 am
ArcadeVGA 5000 issue with R-Type and Kung Fu Master
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:39:29 pm »
Using and ArcadeVGA 5000, Kung Fu Master has sound issues and seems to fast and r-type has sound issues and tearing. Other games seem fine but are not quite centred and are slightly off to the right.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: ArcadeVGA 5000 issue with R-Type and Kung Fu Master
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:42:04 am »
Some odd things from your mame.ini:

- Cleanstretch is set as "2" for some unknown reason. You should only use this value with super resolutions, not the case with an AVGA. Leave the default "1".

- Frame_delay is set as "1". You should only use frame_delay when the refresh rate is a known value. I'd only recommend it with CRT Emudriver to be honest. Not the case with an AVGA. This will probably fix any tearing you're seeing.

As I recommended before, use -triplebuffer for Kung Fu Master. Create an specific kungfum.ini file and place the "triplebuffer 1" inside. This is because you're running a 55 Hz game on a 60 Hz video mode, it's natural it will run too fast.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »
Apologies I copied my set-up over from my system using CRT Emudriver and an HD4850, which is working really well.

I changed Cleanstretch to 1  and Frame_delay to 0, this solved the problem with tearing in R-Type, however both R-Type and Kung Fu Master play at the wrong speed. R-Type to slow and Kung Fu Master to fast. Enabling Tripplebuffer just added sound issues and did not solve the speed issues.

Does the ArcadeVGA not do the correct refresh rates? The Game Information in Mame shows the correct refresh rates i.e. Switchres 55Hz for Kung Fu Master. If it's running 60Hz can this be corrected?

Also is there anyway to correctly centre the resolutions as 640x480@30hz is correctly centred, but others are off to the right. Do I need to use Power Strip?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 12:05:35 pm »
Hi Andypc,

My fault, I forgot to mention that triplebuffer needs the -multithreading option enabled to be effective. Use it and you'll see how it solves Kung Fu Master problems.

Does the ArcadeVGA not do the correct refresh rates? The Game Information in Mame shows the correct refresh rates i.e. Switchres 55Hz for Kung Fu Master. If it's running 60Hz can this be corrected?

As explained, the refresh rates used by the ArcadeVGA are fixed, so can only use 60 Hz for most resolutions and 54 Hz for 400x256 (Mortal Kombat). In situations where the game refresh doesn't match (many) you have to choose between smooth scrolling & wrong speed or choppy scrolling & correct speed.

The Game Information window shows the correct refresh but this is because we have to fool GM into thinking that the AVGA can do the proper refresh rates, this is what -refresh_dont_care option does. Otherwise many resolutions would be blocked by GM's frequency checks.

Also is there anyway to correctly centre the resolutions as 640x480@30hz is correctly centred, but others are off to the right. Do I need to use Power Strip?

You could actually centre the resolutions using Powerstrip or the Arcade Perfect tool by Ultimarc, but this was with the AVGA 3000, afaik the 5000 model is not supported by either of those.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:00:25 pm »
I tried the Arcade Perfect Utility and it doesn't support the ArcadeVGA 5000. I e-mailed Andy at Ultimarc a got this response.

"Unfortunately we are not able to support the Arcade Perfect utility any more as ATI will not supply the necessary info to permit setting of the clock speed on the HD5450 chipset.
This is a pity but to be honest the number of downloads of this utility was around one per month so it was very little used."

So as a last roll of the dice I tried Powerstrip and it worked ;D  It recognised the ArcadeVGA 5000 and I was able to use the advanced timing options to adjust the screen and save the setting for each resolution.

I tried Rastan with Groovymame, however copying the Powerstrip timing string into the mame.ini and saving as "rastan.ini" the image was centred, but had tearing! :banghead: So I deleted the rastan.ini and when I loaded Rastan again I expected it to be off centre, but it wasn't and there was no tearing  :laugh:

Rebooted my machine to the frontend and tried again and Rastan was off centre. Then realised this was because I had shelled the frontend and Powerstrip hadn't loaded. 

Added Powerstrip as a pre emulator command line so it was running and all the games are centred, so long as I had saved settings for that resolution in Powerstrip  :applaud:

The only thing that has confused me is why copying the same timings to the Mame.ini caused tearing?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 12:17:10 pm »
Hi Andypc,

It's quite a surprise that your AVGA 5000 works with Powerstrip. Another user recently reported that he couldn't get his AVGA 5000 be recognized by Powerstrip.

The reason you were seeing tearing with Rastan is that you were copying the whole mame.ini as rastan.ini. You must not do that, because the options in romname.ini have higher priority than Switchres has, so if syncrefresh is set as 0 there then GM can't enable it anymore.

The proper way to do this is to just create a blank rastan.ini file and simply copy the powerstrip option and timing string in it. This way the rest of optios will still be editable by GM.

The good news are that with this method you can create as many refresh rates as you wish, so you can have several instances of a given resolution with different refresh rates.

Steps to create a log:

jeffsmith3141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2021, 12:35:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:29:20 pm »
Hello, I have an ArcadeVGA 5000 and GroovyMame .170. When I set multithreaded to 1, games like Xevious 3DG (xevi3dg), don't run properly. It displays an image, then goes dark and I can hear a very fast version of the game sound playing. Same for Cottom Boomerang. Basically, it seems to be any game that switches resolution has this problem. I have to use multithreaded set to 1 because games like R-Type have stuttering sound without it. Any help is appreciated as to why Xevious 3DG and Cottom Boomerang don't work with multithreaded set to 1. Thanks.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 05:01:16 am »
Hello, I have an ArcadeVGA 5000 and GroovyMame .170. When I set multithreaded to 1, games like Xevious 3DG (xevi3dg), don't run properly. It displays an image, then goes dark and I can hear a very fast version of the game sound playing. Same for Cottom Boomerang. Basically, it seems to be any game that switches resolution has this problem. I have to use multithreaded set to 1 because games like R-Type have stuttering sound without it. Any help is appreciated as to why Xevious 3DG and Cottom Boomerang don't work with multithreaded set to 1. Thanks.

You can leave multithreading on, and either force a fixed resolution for the specific games that want to switch resolutions (that is the cause of the problem), or disable the changeres option.
Steps to create a log:

jeffsmith3141

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 12:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the prompt reply. Is it expected behavior that setting multithreading to 1 will cause games like Xevious 3dg and Cotton Boomerang to break? Or, is it a bug? I'm running Windows 10--don't know if it is an issue related to Windows 10.

Also, I noticed that I have to set modeline_generation to 1. If I leave at the default of 0, the wrong resolution is picked and many of the games are too big for the monitor (I have a 15 khz arcade monitor)--examples: R-Type, Street Fighter 2.

Thanks.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 01:11:39 pm »
Also, I noticed that I have to set modeline_generation to 1. If I leave at the default of 0, the wrong resolution is picked and many of the games are too big for the monitor (I have a 15 khz arcade monitor)--examples: R-Type, Street Fighter 2.

For the ArcadeVGA, keep in mind you need to disable the option -lock_system_modes.
As for modeline_generation, just leave it to 1 (default).
Steps to create a log:

jeffsmith3141

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 05:35:19 pm »
Whoops, I meant I need to set modeline_generation to 0 to get a resolution that fits on my arcade monitor. Leaving it as the default of 1 makes the resolution wrong and the screen doesn't fit on my monitor. (In my previous post, I got it wrong.)

jeffsmith3141

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »
Hey Calamity, I already have lock_system_modes set to 0.