Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Battle Gear 4 on TaitoX Loader by Romhack V.8.5 (Update:Hidden tracks enabled)  (Read 132001 times)

SegaOutrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
Update 8.5: The 12 hidden tracks have been enabled by using a modified the config.bin file.

UPDATE: A Eight version of the loader has been released. Incase you wondering v.7 had a bug, and v.8 was released right afterwards.

The newest update (v.8 ) has the Background music and Announcers voice now working. As far as I can tell, the game is now working 100% (if you dont included LAN games)

Note: Romhack said he is still working on new version that will handle analog controls betters by accounting for sensitivity and speed.[/size]

OLDER INFO and Installation instructions:

A working loader has been released for Battle Gear 4 by romhack using a modified version of his TTX_Monitor. Please use your google-fu to find it as posting it here is not allowed.

Note: there are two dumps of Battle gear 4 online. You will need the Battle Gear 4 tuned pro version. The way to tell the diff is the main directory contains a Data folder and game.exe file. If your dump has ton of stuff like Document and setting, typexsys and windows folder in the main directory, you downloaded the wrong dump.

to use the loader:

1.Place (game4.exe,TTX_config2.0.exe and TTX_monitor.dll) into the main directory.

2. open the ttx_config2.0.exe and map the buttons/axis, then close it. I have included pre-configured setting for 2 pedal logitech wheels and and xbox controllers below.

axis1 is accel
axis2 is brake
axis3 is steering
start is start
service is coin

3. open game4.exe (on first start up, it will have you map the accel and brake, if you need to reset this, just delete config.bin to restart the process. once you have it configured properly, you will not need to repeat this process, unless you delete the config file)

4. OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMEND= make a bat file to enable fullscreen. the bat file should be
game4.exe _MTS_FULL_SCREEN_

5.Optional- go to test menu using the test button, (use shifters to navigate and start to select) go to configuration, hit the start button on coin until it reads free play, exit test menu. The game will close but the setting will be saved.

Pre-configured settings

I went ahead and made pre-configured setting for 2 pedaled logitech wheels (make sure pedal are not marked combined in windows) and a xbox controller

THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE HACKED EXE OR DUMP FILES.
https://mega.co.nz/#!1NVWjDga!NnhetnWlFmilpvimaausGlsu1i7wRq0bUT8U2kUXYf4

There are 3 xbox controller preconfig versions. If you have a config.bin file in your directory, delete it before copying over the preconfigured files. Only copy one pre configured version files into main directory and open you open game4.exe, follow the instructions on the screen to map the gas and brakes.

Dual Analog Version = Analog stick 1 is Steering, Analog stick 2(right side) is Accel(its a little sensitive).  L and R pad(they both do the same) are brakes. select=coin, start= start, A= turbo, B = view, Y= handbrake, X= hazzards, LB and RB are shift up and down.

A as Accel version = Analog stick 1 steering and A button is Accel (much more natural feel). Every other button is the same as version 1 except X now equals both hazzards and turbo (i ran out of buttons)

Z trigger as Accel=  Analog stick 1 steering and Z triggers(either one) is Accel and A button is brake. very other button is the same as version 1 except X now equals both hazzards and turbo (i ran out of buttons)

incase you wondering why I dont do L trigger brake  and R trigger accel is because they are the same axis.

Note: the steering wheel does not work in the menus, use shiftup/down to navigate

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Accel and brake cannot be on the same axis.

If you steering wheel is not working in the menus, use shift up/down for navigation.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:25:41 am by SegaOutrun »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Re: [WIP] Battle Gear 4 on Taito X Loader TTX_Monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:34:02 am »
I've been hoping for this one for a long time.
What emulator are you running BG3 on?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:38:36 am »
That's pretty cool. Hopefully we'll see Chase HQ 2 get the same treatment sometime soon. Of all the unconverted (or unemulated /cracked) arcade driving games out there, Chase HQ 2 is the one I'd most like to play at home. I would've happily paid Taito for a full priced home version after it'd done the rounds in the arcades, but that's never going to happen now, so...

Also hoping Raw Thrills change their minds at some point about the 'no home conversions of their machines' attitude they seem to have, I'd absolutely love a version of H2Overdrive for my PS3 (looking unlikely) or PC.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:05:31 pm by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:43 pm »
I really need to get in contact with the type X people at some point.  I can only assume that all the loader does is re-direct memory locations to get the I/O working.  Somehow via sheer accident I've become very good at this over the past few years. 

If they would share a bit of source (which unfortunately most developers aren't willing to do) I might be able to get some of the problem games working. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:26:28 pm »
https://github.com/zxmarcos/ttx_monitor

hes actually pretty cool with other people making his loader work on other games. ill pm you a way to contact him directly.

btw badmouth, im using pcsx2 to play the ps2 version of BG3. When upscaled to 1080p, its damn beautiful
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:28:59 pm by SegaOutrun »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:33:19 pm »
more progress posted

The game was trying to access invalid memory locations, with a simple patch the game is running.
The problem now is that Handle (steering wheel), Accel and Break doesn't work even with analog emulation.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Re: [WIP] Battle Gear 4 on Taito X Loader TTX_Monitor (Update 8/3/14)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:40 pm »
Thanks man.  I'll give them a few, it seems like they've almost got it, but if not I'll jump in.  If all that's left is the inputs, my guess is he merely hasn't found the right address to hack into yet. 

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2023, 06:37:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:21:41 am »
Very nice, I really wish that Supermini Festa or Lethal Enforcers 3 will be cracked soon.
For amusement only.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 01:37:16 am »
Thanks man.  I'll give them a few, it seems like they've almost got it, but if not I'll jump in.  If all that's left is the inputs, my guess is he merely hasn't found the right address to hack into yet.

hes getting close...

Well, I managed to do the throttle and brake work, just need to understand how the wheel works, already discovered hence their values ​​...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 02:09:38 am »
Yeah he doesn't need any help apparently. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »

hes getting close...

Well, I managed to do the throttle and brake work, just need to understand how the wheel works, already discovered hence their values ​​...

Hey dude, would you mind posting a link to the thread on whichever forum this is from? (unless it's some weird super-secret one or something  8) )

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 08:34:16 pm »
This is now patched and fully playable! I got it working for the first time tonight. Hurrah!  ;D

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 11:18:07 pm »
Sweet!  It looks great in the vid on your youtube channel.  :cheers:

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 01:32:45 am »
I noticed that it has no music, is it a programing oversight?
For amusement only.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 03:35:41 am »
can you play multiplayer over lan?

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 04:20:10 am »
This is now patched and fully playable! I got it working for the first time tonight. Hurrah!  ;D

Hi, that's great news. I did a quick google and cant find anything to download :(

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
Re: [Released] Battle Gear 4 on Taito X Loader TTX_Monitor (Update 8/6/14)
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 05:07:48 am »
I cannot get accel and brake to map properly. steering works well. my steering wheel by default has the same axis for pedals(is this correct for the dfgt?) and I believe this is the issue. can you guys that have it working post what your ttx_config2.0 looks like? and any tips when it ask you to calibrate the pedals in game?

the closest ive gotten it to work is holding my pedal only halfway down in the loader config but ingame, i cant go past 50km/h.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 07:46:17 am »
my steering wheel by default has the same axis for pedals(is this correct for the dfgt?) and I believe this is the issue.

Sounds like you have your pedals on a combined axis and the game wants them separate.
Change in windows controllers setup, or create a Logitech profiler profile with them as separate.

I have it on my laptop, but haven't tried setting up controls yet.
Launched it once just to see it run, but now it won't launch again.  :-\
Haven't messed with it more than a minute or two.  I'll get farther into it tonight.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 09:16:05 am »
I'm wondering if there are any useful tools in that other dump.
It was a mega disappointment.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:17:55 am by BadMouth »

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 09:50:46 am »
This is awesome, I was waiting for this game to get working.

Any chance of working force feedback?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 10:40:05 am »
Haven't messed with it more than a minute or two.  I'll get farther into it tonight.

I couldn't get it working at first either, it just kept hanging. I followed some advice about copying and renaming some of the visual studio .dll gubbins and putting it in the same folder as the game, which initially didn't seem to make a difference, then I launched the config.exe, which created some .bin files and after that it seemed to work. I don't know if the .dll files made a difference or not, but if you want to give them a try this is what you do:

Take these files from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder:
msvcp110_clr0400.dll
msvcr110_clr0400.dll

Copy into BG4T folder and rename them to:
rename msvcp110_clr0400.dll msvcp110.dll
rename msvcr110_clr0400.dll msvcr110.dll

As far as I know there isn't any LAN functionality or FFB at present and I don't know why there isn't any music (although if it's anything like the awful J-Pop cheese of the Initial D games that might not be a bad thing. Getting a bit off topic here, but I did read about the legendary Yuzo Koshiro doing some music for some of the Wangan games, so if it's anything like that then, sweet, hope it gets fixed soon..)

I cannot get accel and brake to map properly. steering works well. my steering wheel by default has the same axis for pedals(is this correct for the dfgt?) and I believe this is the issue. can you guys that have it working post what your ttx_config2.0 looks like? and any tips when it ask you to calibrate the pedals in game?

the closest ive gotten it to work is holding my pedal only halfway down in the loader config but ingame, i cant go past 50km/h.

I haven't tried using my wheel with this yet, only my PS3 Dualshock 3 pad via Motionjoy DS3 tool to emulate an Xbox 360 one. I initially tried setting the the L & R shoulder buttons as the brake (=axis 2) and accelerator (=axis 1) respectively, but they kept getting combined into one axis so if I tried to accelerate it was activating the brake at the same time. I got around this by assigning the brake to the right stick and leaving the accelerator on the right shoulder button. it's not ideal, but it's totally playable that way.

As far as the problem of not being able to accelerate beyond 50km/h - you need to make sure when it get to the option to choose your transmission type, you choose the AT option on the far left (like I'm doing at 01:08 in the 1st video below), not the middle one. You should find that sorts the problem out for you.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:43:05 am by MrThunderwing »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 11:08:00 am »

I couldn't get it working at first either, it just kept hanging. I followed some advice about copying and renaming some of the visual studio .dll gubbins and putting it in the same folder as the game, which initially didn't seem to make a difference, then I launched the config.exe, which created some .bin files and after that it seemed to work. I don't know if the .dll files made a difference or not, but if you want to give them a try this is what you do:

It worked fine the first time I ran it, but I didn't have a controller mapped to get through the pedal calibration screen.
I only had a few minutes to mess with it this morning.

Concerning having to select an automatic transmission:
A newer variant of the cabinet Battle Gear 4 Tuned Professional Version, sports a further clutch pedal, and an H-shaped gearbox control. They are used together to simulate full manual shifting.
(from Wikipedia).

Maybe the Tuned dump is from one of these and we need to find the 6-speed and clutch inputs?  ;)
Or is there anything related to cabinet type in the service menu?

Does the start button work for Nitro?

EDIT: The icons in the transmission select screen on your video don't appear to show a clutch pedal.  The shifter also looks like a sequential shifter, not H gate.  Odd that there appears to be two AT options, one only using the gas pedal and the other using both gas and brake.  I'm trying to think of a reason selecting the gas pedal only option would limit speed.  Anyone read Japanese? (gonna PM jigenjuke!)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:40:14 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 12:10:19 pm »
Just for the record, it'd be nice to post a link to the loader. 

Yes you can't link to the game, but the loader isn't illegal.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 12:25:29 pm »
Just for the record, it'd be nice to post a link to the loader. 

Yes you can't link to the game, but the loader isn't illegal.

(LINK REMOVED.  LOADER PACKAGE INCLUDES MODIFIED GAME EXE)

What should be in your folder (the zipped copy in there isn't necessary)

config.bin will generate the first time the game is launched
some of the monitor files will be generated when ttx_config2.0 is ran.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:05:01 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 12:46:13 pm »
I'm having trouble mapping the analog inputs...

Which one is the wheel?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 01:03:20 pm »
I'm having trouble mapping the analog inputs...

Which one is the wheel?

axis1 is accel, axis2 is brake, axis3 is steering, start is start, service is coin, button 1 is shift (up?), button 2 is shift (down?), test mode is test mode (useful for setting free play)

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »

EDIT: The icons in the transmission select screen on your video don't appear to show a clutch pedal.  The shifter also looks like a sequential shifter, not H gate.  Odd that there appears to be two AT options, one only using the gas pedal and the other using both gas and brake.  I'm trying to think of a reason selecting the gas pedal only option would limit speed.  Anyone read Japanese? (gonna PM jigenjuke!)

The first one says that you will use a clutch to brake in some corners while the second options you will use a brake but the clutch is optional, MT is not available as the H-shifter is not emulated at this point.
For amusement only.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 02:13:06 pm »

The first one says that you will use a clutch to brake in some corners while the second options you will use a brake but the clutch is optional, MT is not available as the H-shifter is not emulated at this point.

Thanks!  :cheers:

Sounds like it may be an issue with the clutch pedal not being hooked up then.  I haven't been able to find a manual.
I wonder if the clutch was analog or just a switch?

I can't wait to poke around in the service menu and see what controls aren't hooked up yet.
I'm hoping it rains so I can play with this instead of mowing my yard.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:17:01 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »
Found this interesting review of the machine on a blog: http://lifedrive.wordpress.com/2007/04/08/battle-gear-4-tuned-test-drive/

That must have been the "professional" version.  It had 4 options for transmission.
Also looks like there is a handbrake in the mix.

According to the author, the shifter works as either a sequential or H-gate depending on which option is chosen in game and it also won't go into gear if the clutch isn't depressed.
Sounds like a sweet shifter setup.  I'm not sure that the standard "tuned" model would work the same way.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »
I still haven't played it, but I'm pretty sure it's still missing some of the controls (falling behind at work because I'm obsessively researching)

Here is the standard BG4:

Even it has a handbrake and nitro switch.  Not sure how the shifter functions.
Is it possible that the instructions are about using the handbrake in turns instead of clutch?

Here is Tuned Professional

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:15:49 pm by BadMouth »

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »
I'd doubt that the vanilla BG4 only has two transmission option that both used the brake but lacks the clutch, so Taito upgraded it to Tuned version so that professional drivers or long time Battle Gear players will play the game professionally.
For amusement only.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »
GameFAQs has a pretty comprehensive write up!
Battle Gear 4 Tuned:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/937334-battle-gear-4-tuned/faqs/48194

Simply put, BG4T is installed on BG4's setup whilst BG4T Pro is installed on
a more decent setup. BG4T Pro upgrades the hardware system with an inclusion of
a clutch, an H-shaped pattern shifting knob, a 16:9 wide screen, a seat
vibration function, and a screen blurred-out effect when a nitro or boost is
triggered.

So no clutch or 6 speed on Tuned.  The instructions on the transmission select screen must be talking about using the brake or handbrake in turns.

Overall BG4 FAQ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/926539-battle-gear-4/faqs/38775

Scroll down to "3.1 The Machine Setup" for a rundown of the controls and outputs.
It has a shift light and lights to show others when the player is using the brakes, handbrake, or nitrous.

Looks like we need handbrake and nitrous inputs.
The loader author only mentions the analog inputs, so these may already be hooked up and we just need to figure out which button in the config software they correspond to.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:23:21 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 04:09:44 pm »
It's hooked up.  I was messing with it last night before the wheel was fixed. 

It's just hooked up to a random digital input.  I think it was p1 joystick up. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »
after speeding hours on it, the closest i could get with my steering wheel was gas always on and brakes only recognizing range 0-90% (if I step all the way down, it disengages). It's now playable for me, just not enjoyable :badmood:. Romhack said he is working on a new version that will account for sensitivity and speed for the analog controls. hopefully that fixes my issues.

Badmouth:they are hooked up. I redid the tutorial to include those buttons

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 06:25:50 pm »

Take these files from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder:
msvcp110_clr0400.dll
msvcr110_clr0400.dll

Copy into BG4T folder and rename them to:
rename msvcp110_clr0400.dll msvcp110.dll
rename msvcr110_clr0400.dll msvcr110.dll

Hmmm, I think this might not actually be doing anything after all. I'm having the same issue with the game immediately hanging and getting a 'Not responding' message on my other (older) PC as I initially was on my first one. The only other thing I'd previously tried on my first PC was downloading the x86 version of the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages required for Visual Studio 2012. I'd been getting a missing .dll message which seemed to relate to that version of it, but that didn't seem to yield any immediate results at the time, and it isn't making any difference to it on my older PC now.

It's weird, literally one minute the game kept hanging on my first PC, the next it started working and has stayed working since - seemingly after I'd changed some options in the TTX_config2.0.exe. I'd love to know what it was I did to get it working the first time. Has anyone else had any hanging issues which they've subsequently managed to get sorted?

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:58 pm »
mini update: since the game was designed with 5.1 audio, BGM music will only play on a 5.1 setup because its coming out of one speaker. i tried creating a virtual 5.1 using speaker fill in window audio enhancements but the game freezes with the fake 5.1 turned on. =(

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 09:25:08 pm »
My card supports 5.1 but the game also freezes when I enable that mode... or any mode other than 2.1.

So I don't think that's it. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »
My card supports 5.1 but the game also freezes when I enable that mode... or any mode other than 2.1.

So I don't think that's it.

hmmm, anyone read russian? this guy highlighted this and posted this vid playing bgm

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:05 pm »
Well I've got a realtek card and on that screen I only have two checkboxes at the bottom, not three.  Any combination of settings in anything other than 2.1 mode crashes the game for me.

I did manage to get some sound by putting it back into 2.1 and checking virtual surround... no bg music though, but maybe if I play with the mixer....

Jitterdoomer

• Offline Offline
    • Personal Twitter Page
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:38 pm »
Does the 5.1 ch sound helps reinstate the announcer voices?
For amusement only.