Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Beginning with MAME--HELP!  (Read 1522 times)

Geo

• Trade Count: (0)
Beginning with MAME--HELP!
« on: March 17, 2002, 02:21:05 pm »
Hello All,

I am new to the world of MAME and find it intriging to say the least!  The biggest draw was the ability to play actual ARCADE versions of classic games from the early 80's from the likes of Space Invaders, Galaga, Phoenix, Pac Man, Defender, etc

My goal is to take an existing arcade cabinet that no one wants, preferably a cocktail table (since it is small), but am also interested in an upright if I come across such a cabinet.

I would prefer to use the existing monitor, but will change if I have to.  It has to work off of coin for "authenticity".

I would like to try both Dos and Windows versions of MAME out to see what I would like best.

Thus I have downloaded what I thought was a Windows version of MAME and I downloaded a few roms.

Upon executing the program, it goes to Dos for a split second and then shuts down.  I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if I need what is called a front end

What I would like to know is the basic procedure for setting this up on a Pentium 500 computer with windows 95 and 128m of ram

I have access to half a dozen old 486 66 to 100 machines.   I am sure I can use these as well, but perhaps under Dos only.  I would like to know how to set up the Dos version of MAME as well.

Please respond directly to my EM address
Jukingeo@optonline.net

Thank You,

Geo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Agent Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2008, 04:14:41 pm
Re: Beginning with MAME--HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 08:53:52 pm »
Go to www.mameworld.net and start reading on some of the links.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »