Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Zippyy short vs long shaft on 1/2" MDF?  (Read 1894 times)

Baezl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 08:52:44 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Zippyy short vs long shaft on 1/2" MDF?
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:31:01 pm »
Just curious before I buy the Zippyy short shaft joysticks if it will fit on 1/2 mdf without it being recessed?

Any info is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Luis

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Zippyy short vs long shaft on 1/2" MDF?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:56:41 pm »
I mounted mine in recessed 3/4", so the final mount was about 1/2" thick.  I used long shaft but that put things a little higher than some would like.  I'm happy with it though.

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:25:22 pm »
Wondering on the size of the drill hole for the joystick mount. I think I've read to use the same size as a standard button hole (1-1/8"), but the templates on Slagcoin look smaller ... maybe 1" or so. Is the 1-1/8" better to use for a thicker panel (3/4") versus a smaller hole for a 1/2" panel ... or am I over-thinking this?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:29:22 pm »
Wondering on the size of the drill hole for the joystick mount. I think I've read to use the same size as a standard button hole (1-1/8"), but the templates on Slagcoin look smaller ... maybe 1" or so. Is the 1-1/8" better to use for a thicker panel (3/4") versus a smaller hole for a 1/2" panel ... or am I over-thinking this?

The thing to watch is that you don't go too small for the hole so that it hits the side when trying to move at a diagonal without fully engaging the switches - I originally used about a 7\8" hole diameter but found on 1\2" MDF it was making the joystick sometimes not hit the diagonal once I redrilled it to 1 1\8 it was much easier to hit the diagonals ( YMMV )

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »
I use 1-1/8" for the joystick hole. That way I can use the same drill bit without changing.  Once the dust washer is in place, you don't see any slop anyway.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:55:06 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »
Precise centering of the mounting plate is your friend.

You may want to go one size smaller (1") for a Zippyy unless you can center the mounting plate fairly well.

If you're too far off-center (~1/4" in 1/2" wood?), the edge of the hole can show.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:50:33 pm by PL1 »

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:42:47 am »
Thanks, Scott. Figured I'd ask as I'm in the same situation as the OP. Looking at undermounting a Zippyy long-shaft in 1/2" MDF without additional routering. Just in setting up my templates, I noticed the size differences in the Slagcoin template. BYOAC Wiki didn't specify one way or the other. As I certainly don't want to risk not being able to hit corners, I'll go 1-1/8" and be certain to center it really well. I figured, like Slippy said, the dust washer would cover it.