Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SpinTrak Spinner pinout?  (Read 1461 times)

big10p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
SpinTrak Spinner pinout?
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:38:53 am »
Hi

I have a USB SpinTrak spinner and would like to tap 5v from the unused pins on the tiny PCB to power a 5V button LED. Is this possible or a bad idea? I'm not using any mouse button inputs, so all the pins in this pic are 'free':

I read 5V across COM and all other pins. Does anyone know what the top two, unlabeled pins are, and/or can tell me which 2 pins I can safely connect to for the button LED, without registering a mouse button press?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:42:27 am by big10p »

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 12:14:51 pm
Re: SpinTrak Spinner pinout?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:12:42 am »
OK so there are 9 pins correct? Looking straight at it with the board facing upwards, with the 5 pins on bottom, 4 pins on top, and the missing pin on the upper left... The 2 pins on the right (top and bottom pins) are 5V.

The wiring pinout is:

Brown  5V
White GND
Yellow X1
Green X2

So with that info in mind...you should be able to connect safely to the pin above/below where the reddish/brownish wire is connected. The mouse buttons should be the two pins above/below where the yellow and green wires are connected.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:47:26 am »
Thanks for the reply. I emailed Andy at Ultimarc and he's says the only 5v pin is the one with the brown wire, and that it should be OK to power a LED from that. Seems a bit strange though as I read 5v across other pins too, but it's probably best to be on the safe side and just tap into the brown one.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:40:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:08:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I emailed Andy at Ultimarc and he's says the only 5v pin is the one with the brown wire, and that it should be OK to power a LED from that. Seems a bit strange though as I read 5v across other pins too, but it's probably best to be on the safe side and just tap into the brown one.
You will read 5v on any encoder input, assuming it is an active-low device like the IPac, KeyWiz, KADE, etc.

Those inputs aren't designed to provide the current required to properly drive an LED.

A quick test on a KADE with a 12v LED revealed:
  * Connecting the LED between 5v and ground caused the LED to light brightly  :)
  * Connecting the LED between an input and ground triggered the associated output and caused the LED to light very dimly (~10% as bright?)

Scott

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 05:47:11 pm »
You will read 5v on any encoder input, assuming it is an active-low device like the IPac, KeyWiz, KADE, etc.

Those inputs aren't designed to provide the current required to properly drive an LED.

A quick test on a KADE with a 12v LED revealed:
  * Connecting the LED between 5v and ground caused the LED to light brightly  :)
  * Connecting the LED between an input and ground triggered the associated output and caused the LED to light very dimly (~10% as bright?)

Scott
I see. The brown 5v wire it is, then. Thanks, Scott.  ;)