Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Touchscreen controllers?  (Read 5282 times)

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:53 pm
Touchscreen controllers?
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:41:48 pm »
Post 2007 it appears you can use any 3m exII serial/usb controller. I noticed a week ago i was playing around with Jade and 2005.5 Force software and some exII controllers dont work. Specifically the ones without the Novram cable. The software doesnt error as it would if you tried to use a elo or other controller, it just doesnt respond as if there is no drivers loaded. What is puzzling me is that all versions of the drivers for linux and win seem to support both versions with/without Novram.

Have any of you guys tried other 3m controllers or elo controllers with version pre or post 2007?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Touchscreen controllers?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:06:54 pm »
use caution...

trying to use an ION 2007 harddrive/software with the black SMT-4 controller MAY corrupt the firmware on the controller.

there was a glitch with the software that read the newer controller's firmware version incorrectly thinking it was the white controller with old firmware, resulting in the system trying to update the firmware and corrupting it.

i believe this was fixed in 2008+ versions.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:10:19 pm by lilshawn »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:17:52 pm »
So the software itself contains firmware and a flasher? I have not noticed this inside any directories. Do you know what the flashing utility is called? I know there is development utilitys from 3m but you need to have a business account to access them.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:04:31 pm »
They may have written something for themselves. I know some later versions of ION also contain BIOS updates and will boot up, detect an outdated BIOS version and update it.

i think 2012 or 2013 has a bios update for the intel "littlefalls" BIOS to update it.

they must get SDK's from the manufacturers to roll their own because it's seamless as fuuuu.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:09:32 pm »
I wonder if 2013 and 2014 let you use a SMT-3 just like 2011 and 2012 ION do. They either removed the controller check on purpose or by mistake. But im leaning toward purpose because i patched out the controller error on an earlier version and it booted into the game but i got no reponce from the SMT-3 controller which means it was removed from driver module. But must have been added back in 2011/2012 ION for some reason.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:31:31 pm »
its interesting that u say that mike?
as i am working my through the radion's i noted
that they will boot to the game with out a touch screen controller hooked up.?
yet my ion's demand it..make's u go hmm..
btw this is black 3m controller but come's out serial

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »
its interesting that u say that mike?
as i am working my through the radion's i noted
that they will boot to the game with out a touch screen controller hooked up.?
yet my ion's demand it..make's u go hmm..
btw this is black 3m controller but come's out serial

ed

No ed. Im talking about the white serial controller. They were used in XL and Maxx. I have not tried one on any radion versions pre 2007 force/ion. But I can tell you that 2011 force will not let you use it, but 2011 ion and 2012 Ion will.

Also, 2009.5 and 2010/2010.5 Ion will not let you use it either.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:52:55 pm by mahkeymike »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 03:55:03 pm »
alright i will test some white 1's
lord know's i have a box of them..
nothing ventured nothing gained :)

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »
alright i will test some white 1's
lord know's i have a box of them..
nothing ventured nothing gained :)

ed

I have a boat load of them aswell. Thats the reason i have been playing around with it because i wanted to  update a few XL cabs to force/ion but i dont have any force/ion controllers so i wanted to use the XL controllers, but they will only work on post 2011 ion

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:46:26 pm »
i dont have any force/ion controllers so i wanted to use the XL controllers, but they will only work on post 2011 ion

that's....weird.  ???

they have done some really messed up stuff with their software. I'm surprised it works as good as it does.

they must have had some kind of issue with some compatibility or sourcing a particular controller or chip or board or ... SOMETHING and just decided to remove the call requiring that particular piece be  required/checked to get the thing out the door.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:40 pm »
with there 2 types of output
ie usb or serial..it becomes very confusing.
>3M MicroTouch EX II Series controllers bring flexibility and feature-rich functionality to capacitive and resistive touch screen applications. This high performance electronics platform is based on the innovative MicroTouch EX II ASIC, designed to provide higher resolution touch coordinates, on-chip RAM, and a wider operating temperature range. With expanded regulatory approvals, improved power modes, and enhanced ESD and EMI protection, this controller series is a robust, proven solution for popular touch applications.<
now u can bet the asci has some thing to do with this.

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 11:08:46 am »
Bumping this thread because im having trouble calibrating this microtouch glass overlay with a Novram connector by removing it and connecting it directly to one of those controllers without the Novram connector. (i believe they may be built into the controller.)

Anyway, I had luck swapping one of these controllers that was serial (used on a 17" glass overlay) onto a 15" glass overlay that had a controller the was usb.

Surprisingly i was able to calibrate both of them after being swapped by using the MT7 software calibrate tools (windows)

But for life of me i cant get this other glass overlay calibrated that originally had the Novram connector.

Could it be a change in wiring? Anybody that has repaired the flat screen megatouches had to come across different EXII controllers with and without the Novram connector.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 11:37:10 am »
hi mike
what game is it in ? and i will look it up

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 12:00:29 pm »
hi mike
what game is it in ? and i will look it up

ed

No game. I have a microtouch glass overlay that has one of those removable Novram connectors. I have a EXII controller that has the Novram built in so no connector for the Novram plug. I removed the Novram plug and clipped the overlay directly into the controller and I am having a hard time calibrating it using the windows MT7 software.

The glass overlay works fine if i keep the Novram plug on and use a controller with the Novram port. (tested with a SMT-3)

But im trying to throw some 15" inch lcd touchscreens into some old XL/Maxx cabinets using spare parts i have on hand. And get them up and running with Force software. So i cant use the SMT-3 controllers. I have to use EXII types. All i have are the ones with the built in Novram.

Confusing i know.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 12:05:32 pm »
EXII with built in Novram

EXII with Novram Port/connector

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »
Removable Novram plug

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »
hi
no not confusing
i have all that at the warehouse,will be doing the same thing next week
for 2-x
right now i fell like a bag of crap >cold<
so today is out

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:27 pm »
Same amount of wires.(5) Hard to trace them because there ribbon cable type and have some type of foil shielding tape making it hard to see the pinout in the connector clip. Im thinking wires might be reversed at some point. Not sure why they used the same connector clip for both versions. I have recalibrated these with the MT7 software so i know its possible.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 11:33:22 pm »
mike
up-load a pic of the connecter >over lay to controller<
i am in there tomrow as i missed 2 day's so far

ed