Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Suggestion for a wiki page - colour matching  (Read 9988 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Suggestion for a wiki page - colour matching
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:02:49 am »
I had the idea for a wiki page where you could go and see products that matched in colour. Perhaps the wiki isn't the right place, but it was the best place I could think of.

The reason for it is the recent conundrum I had. I went to order some light blue buttons, t-molding and ball tops. Here is what I ended up with:
Cool Blue T-Molding
Jouster Blue ball top
Competition Blue pushbuttons

Will they match in colour? Are they even close? The sluggish pace of USPS has me on the edge of my seat!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Suggestion for a wiki page - colour matching
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:01 am »
You want matching? Buy white and Rit dye it all. Seriously. Nothing ever matches bro.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:39:28 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »
Seems impossible to color match via pictures taken by different cameras in different lighting -- the data needs to come from people who can compare the products side-by-side.

Maybe a color-coded table like this example for each major color (red, dark blue, light blue, yellow, green, orange?, purple?) with a list of products on the two axes.

A black background indicates that the row and column are the same item, grey means that the data is not yet available, green means a color match between the row product and the column product, yellow means a close match, and red means that they are not close to matching.

If you like, we can also add footnotes/links to photos in the table, too.

The new wiki page linked above is currently an orphan page, but if we go forward with building it, the Finishing and Artwork portal page may be a good page to direct readers to the color matching page.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:32:27 pm by PL1 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:39:28 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:28:57 am »
Looks like we will be moving forward with this page -- we'll need data to populate it.

If anyone can do a side-by-side comparison of two or more products (buttons, balltops, battops, t-molding), please tell us your first-hand observations.

Let us know what specific products you find that:
 * Do color-match
 * Almost color-match
 * Don't color-match
 * Don't color-match, but are complimentary colors (Not certain about this designation, LMK if it's a bad idea.  :dunno)
 * Match (or don't match) texture/finish

Example:
The yellow IL Compact battop stick color-matches the yellow Goldleaf pushbutton, but has a different (matte) texture.

The yellow Arcade Prime pushbutton almost color-matches the yellow IL Compact battop, but is slightly darker and has a different (smooth) texture.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:35:13 am by PL1 »