Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: project update  (Read 10706 times)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
project update
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:15:22 pm »
The website is changing. The main page is now static with a static link to the last generated dat files. The old php code was obviously made by a younger version of me that knew nothing about sql injection or cross site script attacks. So for security I am removing the php pages.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: project update
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:33 am »
So it's been awhile since I have looked at this project.  The listxml output has changed quite a bit.  Is there documentation on how to interpret the output?  Determining oddball stuff like 49way joys doesn't seem to have logic behind it.  Especially something like blitz2k where it can be controlled by an 8way or 49way. 

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:01 am »
I am looking to update the project, make it easier to modify.  There are two hurdles with this.  One is to figure out how mame lists the controls for a game so we can map the labels to them.  The other is with new versions of mame how to handle romname changes.  This has always been an issue with this project and has always been tough to keep up with.  If they made it easier or anyone has a good idea to manage these let me know.

On a side note, if I reprogram the site to take user input I might go the social network route.  Anyone can put in control information and site their resources for the information.  Then if enough people vote up a control scheme then it is committed.  Same with contesting inaccurate information.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 02:58:39 am »
Yeah the new xml is bonkers.... I have a hard time making sense of it.  I know the rom manger people are particularly peeved about it because the way it's presented some games look like they have a valid rom available when in fact they don't. 

Anyway, it's easier to parse, but isn't necessarily any more accurate than the old version.  As you stated games with multiple control types... well what is reported is up to the driver author... they might just pick one and use it, list all three or what have you. 

Also which controls are counted as a control are also random.  Joysticks get a control type as do any analog controls, but stuff like shifters are just listed as buttons. 

It would be a lot of work to reformat the dat to something useable with the new versions of mame. 

I think we'd have to post in the software forum or everything else when/if you are ready to go on it though.  I don't know if you've noticed by this board is kind of dead.... it even took me a week or so to realize you have posted something.  ;)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:23:25 pm »
I know I will have to be more public if the update happens. It won't happen until winter when I have more time.  I am just cleaning things up right now as I don't want the project to be a security liability to this site.

spoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »
Yeah the new xml is bonkers.... I have a hard time making sense of it.  I know the rom manger people are particularly peeved about it because the way it's presented some games look like they have a valid rom available when in fact they don't. 

So, will this make my eyes bleed if I look at it again?  Change for the sake of change again I'm guessing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:39:38 am »
Eh it's slightly better now, it's just there still isn't any standardization.

It used to be that mame just spat out all controls in a single node... now each one gets it's own node.  It's just that the flags included with each node isn't standardized and you have to know ahead of time what individual inputs consist of each control type.