Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mini Cocktail cab  (Read 3535 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Mini Cocktail cab
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »
Well I've been quiet for a while. I figured I'd share the progress I've been making on one of my projects.

A while back a friend of mine found out he was having a baby, so in a panic he decided to get rid of his 2 sided nintendo arcade cabinet similar to this:

He gutted it for parts and I took the shell to the dump for him. What a great feeling jump kicking it out of the back of my truck. I took the parts that were left over though, which included dual coin doors and the glass from both screens. I decided to use the glass from the screens to design projects around. Using the measurements from one, I designed this little cocktail machine.

It came together in a day. It sat for a long time, since I had no free time (a lie, but other things were more important to me.)

Eventually I got up the energy to make a load screen to replace the windows boot logo and a basic menu for MaLa.

That got me excited, and I got my tax return around March, so I ordered my parts for this and for Arcade Safari, and expected them to take a long time. My experience with GGG is that my orders take forever, but in this case they were really fast. A little over a week and a half I think, and mostly due to delays at the border. I wired it up in a few hours and soldered everything.

And here it stands today. All that's left is some software stuff, no-nag compiling, and making gamelists.

In the pic above you can see the t-nuts embedded in the top, and the monitor is held underneath by large plastic mirror clips. With the glass in place however you see nothing.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
Re: Mini Cocktail cab
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:55:05 pm »
... aren't two-sided Nintendo cabinets kind of rare?  :P

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:00:11 pm »
There's 2 sided nintendo cabs, and then there is garbage. It was in bad shape. It was garbage.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »
Oh yeah!  The wife has been asking for a cocktail for the living room but I've not found a design I liked.  Sooo stealing this one! 

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:06:13 pm »
sketchup

kuehnau

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »
I've been looking into just buying a cocktail kit since they tend to be fairly cheap. I had a question and since I was reading this I thought I'd just ask here; how does two player games work on a cocktail like this? Does each player get their own screen divided on the monitor or what? Are there games on these things you can't play?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
how does two player games work on a cocktail like this? Does each player get their own screen divided on the monitor or what? Are there games on these things you can't play?

Depends on the game and how you have it configured.  Some games will just flip the screen for player one or two.  It also has a split screen for 2 player simultaneous games.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:07:06 pm »
Are you making an entire arcade room or something?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:12:54 pm »
how does two player games work on a cocktail like this? Does each player get their own screen divided on the monitor or what? Are there games on these things you can't play?

Depends on the game and how you have it configured.  Some games will just flip the screen for player one or two.  It also has a split screen for 2 player simultaneous games.

Thats really cool. The split screen thing. I need this in an upcoming build I'm doing or i'll be forced to buy two smaller TV's, (similar to the ones in my bartop). Is there a way i can use this split screen effect using Maximus, and NES/SNES emulators?  or is this only a MAME thing with certain ROMS?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 01:12:50 am »

Are you talking to me?

I made my Spinal Tap cab alone. My nephews really wanted to help me build it, but they are only around 2 months of the year (live in the next province over.) So they got all mad that I did it without them. So we made Lime-Ade, the Lime Arcade. Well, my niece found out about it (not in the same family as my nephews) so of course SHE had to have one. And I had the idea of making the cocktail to sell to see if there is a local market for that kind of thing.

Seriously, as much as I love gaming (we have a game night every week or 2 with 10-15 people) building is half the fun.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »

Are you talking to me?

I made my Spinal Tap cab alone. My nephews really wanted to help me build it, but they are only around 2 months of the year (live in the next province over.) So they got all mad that I did it without them. So we made Lime-Ade, the Lime Arcade. Well, my niece found out about it (not in the same family as my nephews) so of course SHE had to have one. And I had the idea of making the cocktail to sell to see if there is a local market for that kind of thing.

Seriously, as much as I love gaming (we have a game night every week or 2 with 10-15 people) building is half the fun.

Oh that's cool with all the projects lately I thought you were making one of those cool in home arcade rooms. By the way the spinal tap one is my favorite,  probably because I play guitar.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »
With the cost of real estate what it is these days, I don't think I'll ever have an "arcade room." But the spinal tap machine does just about everything so it's all good.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:01 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
Be interesting to see how long that old CRT lasts now that you've set it pointing up.  You may be rejuvenating that thing soon....

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »
It's an led flatscreen, the only things from the nintendo cab are the glass and the coin doors. I'm not really a purist. While others are arguing about the authenticity of scanlines and pixel colour bleed I am playing.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »
You planning on getting clips for the glass?

I recommend the atari repro ones:

It'd look decent enough with those sharp corners, and a set of 4 usually goes for about $25.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »
I wasn't planning on it. I found a buyer already, and the glass doesn't move unless you want it to. I would probably if it were for me however.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 08:52:23 pm »
This is really slick! Nicely done!  :cheers: