Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Checked a few off the played list...  (Read 4677 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Checked a few off the played list...
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:16:51 am »
Pinball party in Houston today.  Got to play some I've been interested in for 10-15 years...

RIP Pengo cabinet:

Gotta set the mood with Hercules:

Hadn't seen one of these since the 80s:

Stern Stars:

Now that's an odd one.  I was with him when he bought it in ~2004, but back then it was a Playboy.  Someone manufactured custom cabinets that just had controlled lights and displays in the backbox, and all the boards in a chopped down cabinet.  Full size coin door, and it's at cocktail height.  He finally got it playable with another playfield swapped in there, and worked up a backglass to fit the theme.  Decent game.

Gottlieb Hi Dolly:

Very odd theme on this one.  A very popular actress backstage, talking on the phone to suitors.  I guess it's a reference to the Hello, Dolly musical?  Kind of fun but the only one I really like from this era is Merry Widow.

Slap Shot:

This was fun and very frustrating. 

Cueball Wizard, Breakshot, and Pool Sharks:

Hadn't played a Cueball Wizard in over 10 years.  Very fun game.

Zaccaria Combat:

I hate to be honest about this one, because I've had my eyes open for a decade trying to get one.  But I finally got to play it and it's a lot of fun.  The backglasses and playfields on these things always look brand new.  Very smooth and fast action.  Some day....

Gottlieb Spirit of 76:

Fun game.  First time I've encountered a playable one.  Easy to see why it commands such a premium.

And... at last....

Atari Middle Earth:

My first pinball machine back in 2001 was a Space Riders.  I really wanted one of these.  Never saw one anywhere, but I loved the art.  And, dammit, I played it and liked the game.  Lower playfield is useless but the upper is cool.  And, man, that artwork.

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Checked a few off the played list...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:19:57 am »
I'd love a Space Riders. There was one here in PHX for $750, but my wife is adamant about no pins unless I get her a bigger house.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 02:26:45 am »
Space Riders was a decent game, but what really aggravated me was that during the attract mode it'd do some light cycling.  During the game?  Playfield was totally lifeless.  Someone could probably really spruce up that game with some custom code.

I'm also very suspicious that Atari used leaded paint on their pinball cabinets.  They've got a dull luster that you don't see on others.  So, don't eat the paint chips.  Just in case.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:24:50 am »
That Middle Earth does look freakin sweet. That's how I fell in love with my old Paragon, that awesome back glass.

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:49:40 pm »
Interesting collection. I too have reached the point where I'm looking past some of the sterns and B/W for something more off the beaten path.  I tend to score better the more obscure it is in competition as well.

They have one of those slapshots on location here and it's crazy fast and frustrating. 

I've heard from a couple of places that ALL pinball cabs have lead paint on them, maybe even up into the 2000's.  I've tested a few myself - Bally HGoT and williams solar fire and black knight had lead. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:20:18 am »
I prefer offbeat games.  My biggest problem with most 90s stuff, particularly WMS, is that the games all play the same.  Some designers are truly awful - I personally called out Pat Lawlor on it and his defense was, "there's only so many layouts that work."  It's kind of a shame as Gottlieb did some interesting things in that era but some of those games could really benefit from the extra polish they would have gotten elsewhere.  And I really don't understand those collectors that have a line up of the fan layout.

To me - 1975 to 1985 is probably the sweet spot.  Good layouts, lots of theme variety, modern playfield hardware, no video modes, limited sound effects that aren't some "funny" quip from a lame movie repeated endlessly.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 11:36:09 am »
I'd love a Space Riders. There was one here in PHX for $750, but my wife is adamant about no pins unless I get her a bigger house.

Find that new house yet?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:02:05 pm »

I'd explain the reference but fear there is no need around here in nerdtown.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:30:53 pm »

Why'd you say that twice?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 10:44:30 am »

Hercules has made an odd comeback.  I have seen two on location in the last 6 months.  Good playable ones with flippers that could hit that path shot.