Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Driver Bartop - Sega Outrun Style - DONE!  (Read 58660 times)

johnrt

• Trade Count: (0)
Driver Bartop - Sega Outrun Style - DONE!
« on: June 25, 2014, 05:03:40 pm »
Hi there! I've always wanted a drivers cab, but I don't have room for a fullsize cab, so a bartop it is. I do possess a spinner with wheel (TurboTwist 2 with a 5" wheel). This is my idea for a driver bartop based on the top curves of the Sega Outrun cabinet. Plan is to use a foot pedal along with this. I also need to make a gear shifter. I have made a cardboard model, and today I made the side panels. Pictures show the progress so far. I'll continue update this thread as I'm progressing.

And more pictures and all other documents will be available on this site (plans, pics, videos, artwork and so on)
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/

Btw: This is my 4th cab.

Cardboard model:

Control panel:

A template I made from some cheap chipboard:

Using the template I routed the side panels:

I also want the back panel to be curved, so I made a template for a curved batten. The battens will be made out of 18 mm plywood.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:14:02 pm by johnrt »

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
Re: Driver Bartop - Sega Outrun Style
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »
Looking good!  :applaud:

You mentioned a foot pedal. I assume that is going to be a "free floating" pedal or are you planning to put something you work by hand? Just trying to understand your vision for that.  ;D

johnrt

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 05:12:30 pm »
Looking good!  :applaud:

You mentioned a foot pedal. I assume that is going to be a "free floating" pedal or are you planning to put something you work by hand? Just trying to understand your vision for that.  ;D
Well, a free floating device it has to be. But when I come to think of it I may also add a couple of buttons on the CP since I also can play any other game that requires a spinner.
This is one option:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Nonslip-Plastic-Treadle-Foot-Pedal-Switch-AC-220V-/190837283705?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c6ec9db79

But I may also make my own. I don't know yet. :-)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »
I like it!  The curves will be nice, looking forward to seeing it come together.

johnrt

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
I also considered the Pole Position style. But I found the OutRun shape nicer.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:21:31 pm »
Bonus points if you make the rear access a roll top!

johnrt

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »
I do need SOME straight lines back there, so this is how I plan to make room for power socket, USB, and pedal socket.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:46 am »
Not sure if the player buttons are just placeholders, but I can think of no 2 player, alternating player driving games.
So...no point in having the player 2 button.

To get the most out of it:
Coin
Start
4 view buttons

Optional:
A radio button, but the games that had a radio button only had 3 view buttons.

I also like having a dedicated exit button on my machines.

You can get away with using a return-to-center up/down shifter if you use the H2seq shifter app found here:
http://www.racermame.altervista.org/
I like 4 speeds, but the up/dn would take up less space and work better with the paddle shifter games like Virtua Racing.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:55:27 am by BadMouth »

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
Love the curves. As soon as I saw the cardboard mock-up I thought, "Yup ... Out Run."

Did you cut the curves for the template using a jigsaw and then clean it up, or did you use some kind of arc apparatus on your router to form them? Looks really clean.

johnrt

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »
BadMouth: Thanks for the input. I really didn't know about that 2-player issue. :-P Btw: For the rest of the CP, I'm very open for suggestions and layout.

roknrol: I cut the template with a jigsaw and then did the rest by hand. No apparatus involved. The template did turn out very nice though, so I'm saving it.

So today I made the curved battens from the template I made yesterday. And again, the two battens are identical. The router is a fantastic tool.

They fit nice. But they're also quite flexible in case I need to adjust a mm or two:

And in a hardware shop I found hinges for my control panel. These have a self locking mechanism, and made to be mounted on the inside of the cab.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19:40 pm »
Very nice and fresh project  :cheers:

Looking forward how this will come to a end  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:37 pm »
love it. I have a 4 speed shifter you can have for the cost of shipping if you're in the US.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

johnrt

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:25 am »
SuperFrog: You're my hero. I love your work! Your Popeye bartop inspired me to build a similar one, only Fix it Felix themed. Here's my version of that cab:
I also have plans, pics, videos and artwork of that bartop on my site: http://www.379009.net/nintendo-bartop/

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 06:08:27 am »
 :notworthy: Thanks Johnrt  :notworthy:

This is a very well build popeye clone  :cheers: :laugh2:

You did a great job here  :cheers:
It was a good choice to build it by yourself and not going for a cnc bundle  :dizzy:
I see some cnc bartops, and they don't have the looks and detail..

And a very nice paintjob  :applaud:

Good Job :applaud:

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 08:22:37 am »
This is a very well build popeye clone . You did a great job here  :cheers:

Agreed. This looks very, very nice!

It was a good choice to build it by yourself and not going for a cnc bundle  :dizzy: I see some cnc bartops, and they don't have the looks and detail...

I'd be interested to see what you mean - not to Bogart the thread or anything, but this seems rather inflammatory. Now, I don't frequent many other sites, but the majority of the CNC kits I've seen (Haruman's and my own, for example) try to put a lot of thought into them. Are there CNC kits for the Nintendo clones that are 'less than perfect'?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 09:51:13 am »
Ace design! Suits a bar top style really well.

One thing - i have a tt spinner on my cab (in progress) and always struggled playing outrun type 270 degree games as there is no centering. Super sprint etc work great tho.

Are you gonna use an lcd or CRT in there? Looks like you have room for either.

Sub'd

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 10:12:29 am »
One thing - i have a tt spinner on my cab (in progress) and always struggled playing outrun type 270 degree games as there is no centering. Super sprint etc work great tho.

See the wheel section in the driving cab info thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,105961.0.html

johnrt

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 10:31:40 am »
markc74: I have a 15" LCD which will be used in this. Allthough it would have been nice with a CRT, the small CRT's are hard to find here in Norway. And the cab also need to be a little bigger to fit a decent CRT. But I hope someone wants to make this with a CRT in the future.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »
I'd be interested to see what you mean - not to Bogart the thread or anything, but this seems rather inflammatory. Now, I don't frequent many other sites, but the majority of the CNC kits I've seen (Haruman's and my own, for example) try to put a lot of thought into them. Are there CNC kits for the Nintendo clones that are 'less than perfect'?

:angel: Ow, it's just my opinion about some cnc kits, it's close but not that  ;)
I'm not saying that my version is close, but after I finished my Popeye bartop, the cnc kits came out very quickly, so I looked at all the different details, because I had worked on it for a long time to got it right,  that's a bad habit, but nothing special  :cheers:

Nothing against cnc kits  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 03:04:30 pm »
Today I made the bottom panels. They still need some fine sanding, so I just taped them together for the mock-up.

Bottom and CP area:

CP area:

Obviously the CP is way too big. I haven't decided how deep I want it yet. More mock-ups needed:

The back:

And I made room for a PC power supply:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 03:08:09 pm »
very nice start  :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 03:11:27 pm »
I'm happy so far. I don't have an electric saw except for my jigsaw (which are useless for making panels), so I use a good old fashion hand saw (with fine teeth):   8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:13:15 pm by johnrt »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 03:19:44 pm »
:angel: Ow, it's just my opinion about some cnc kits, it's close but not that  ;)
I'm not saying that my version is close, but after I finished my Popeye bartop, the cnc kits came out very quickly, so I looked at all the different details, because I had worked on it for a long time to got it right,  that's a bad habit, but nothing special  :cheers:Nothing against cnc kits  :cheers:

Ok - apology accepted. (And for the record, the measurements on MY kit are EXTREMELY close to the original - down to the LxW ratio on the marquee...)

:D

johnrt

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »
I made the battens for lower panels tonight.

And now I need some help or inputs. I need to decide how the buttons on the CP is to be arranged, and how many. Any idea is very appreciated.  ;)

Regarding the 2-player button: Since the wheel is also a spinner, there are many more games but just the driving ones that can be played on this. Maybe I keep that 2-player button after all.

johnrt

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »
Damn this CP is giving me a headache. I need your opinion on this. On this pic I have 1 and 2-player buttons. (I know, the driving games are all(?) 1-player games, but I intend to use this cab for spinner games also, like arkanoid). The next two buttons are gas and brake (I can't depend only on the pedals), then gearshift and turbo/optional. The rightmost buttons are for... something else, MAME control maybe. On the bezel I have 4 view-buttons for games like Virtua Racing. Underneath I have 2 (or more) MAME control buttons.

So: Is it just me, or is this CP a little overcrowded?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 06:09:53 pm »
Lose the 2 buttons to the left of the spinner,  I don't think you will need them.  Also the buttons look spaced quite far apart which wouldn't be overly comfortable for any kind of lengthy play sessions.  I would set them out closer and possibly in a snes button layout. I like the view/admin buttons on the bezel area though.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:04:06 am »
The buttons evenly spaced and distributed is confusing.

I'd group them by purpose and maybe use different style buttons that fit their purpose.
I like the smaller view buttons across the top.

Maybe use triangular buttons for shift up and down if that's what the buttons on the right are for.
The gas and brake should probably be next to the shift buttons so you can use the same hand for both.
You could put them side by side like pedals to keep everything from forming a square with the shift buttons.
Maybe use green and red buttons to make their purpose clear.

What are you doing for coin and exit (ESC)?
Maybe get a rectangular button for the coin input and make a label for it that resembles a coin slot.
The square and rectangular buttons usually pop apart so you can insert labels (they were usually used on gambling machines).
The button you use to exit games should be away from all the others and it's function made obvious.
I guess you could do a combination for exit, but it can get complicated with other emulators and PC games.

Labels on the CP art might help if you plan on sticking with regular arcade buttons.

Here is my old CP with homemade paper inserts in the buttons.  More recently I've been using clear inkjet labels.

The big thing is knowing exactly what games you want to play and what you need to play them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:13:08 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 09:25:13 am »
maybe something like this?
Credit and exit buttons on the underside?
Might look better with the two orange buttons on the left moved horizontally also.

Just throwing ideas out there.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:28:11 am by BadMouth »

johnrt

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »
Thanks for the inputs guys! I really appreciate it! And ANY idea is better than nothing. Probably I wind up with something in between.

My original plan was to use some of the many standard arcade buttons I have lying around, but you may have convinced me to reconsider that plan. Anyway: I myself was not happy with that CP layout of mine. But fortunately it's just cardboard. :-) I'm not sure though about mixing various buttons on this tiny CP, it may wind up too ugly. I do possess those red coinbuttons, but do they look good on such a small CP? I don't know... yet.

I may also reconsider the amount of games I will run on this just to keep it as simple as possible. So maybe it's time to play the driving games I can find for MAME and make up my mind. :-)

Again: Thank you very much for ideas and inputs. I would be lost without them! :-)

johnrt

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:22:41 pm »
Playing with cardboard. :-P
How about this? Pretty clean isn't it?

Oh. I also did some assembly today. :-)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:28:16 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 01:20:26 pm »
Progress is slow. But during this weekend I've managed to make most of the CP assembly along with other minor things.

This is the back with a standard PC PSU:

Some wooden bricks to support the hinges. The hinges are quite big, so I want them as far out to the sides as possible:

CP in open position:

CP in closed position:

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »
what is your plan to keep the cp panel closed? 

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »
Great progress  :cheers:

I want to see more  :hissy: :dizzy: :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »
Generic Eric: It does keeps itself closed with the self-closing hinges, but I will also add a magnetic lock on both sides. That's ought to be good enough for my use. If it isn't, I can always add a locking mechanism inside the cab at a later moment.

Superfrog: Thanks, but the progress is slow. :-P

johnrt

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »
I was never happy with the CP hinges mount, so it's back to the drawing board again. But today I made some progress on other areas:

I finished up the bottom base. This I'm satisfied with, keep in mind that it's made with a hand saw :-)

Sorry 'bout the blurry picture.

I also made the bottom marquee panel. Obviously it's not going to be that deep, but I don't know the exact depth yet.

These are the speakers I'm planning to use on this cab. Nice fullrange speakers btw.

And the speaker grills:

And here's a LED strip for the marquee. It's length is quite perfect. :-)

johnrt

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:20 pm »
It was really too hot outside to do anything today, but I managed to start on the monitor panel.

Monitor panel, back side.

Front side. It needs to be cut down to the right size though.

johnrt

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 12:45:58 pm »
The monitor bezel sure gave me a hard time, but I finally nailed it. I found some wood strips that were cut 45 degrees:

From these I made a frame:

Testfit with monitor inside:

Sanding and filling:

Testfitting inside cab. I have applied one coat of primer. Next is more filling and sanding. I think it looks good. :-)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:55:05 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 01:01:14 pm »
And today I mounted my Hello Kitty Toot on my bicycle. There were som giggling among other people when I rode it on a trip earlier today.  :lol

johnrt

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:33 pm »
As much as I suck in artwork I have nevertheless come up with an idea for the CP. Remember: this is version 0.001 alpha, so be gentle!  :lol
If anyone want to play with that artwork, I have uploaded the photoshop file here:
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/photoshop/

This is version 1.1:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:08:20 pm by johnrt »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
just spit ballin ideas here, but I'd move P2 start to be either next to or under P1 start. take the wheel off the center and move it to the left more. green gas button, red brake, and add a 2 way shifter?

added a terrible mock up incase my description sucks.Figured the admin buttons at the bottom can go on the front panel instead of the CP.

johnrt

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:48 am »
Malenko: Thanks for your input.  :applaud:

I really liked your background more than mine since it's actually from OutRun, but I couldn't find a high-res pic of it.  :banghead:
And don't mind the button colors, they are not decided yet.
The admin-buttons IS at the bottom panel. This CP artwork will be folded over the entire CP, so the 14 topmost centimeters are the top panel. It will look like this from the top:

That being said, there will be no room for a standard shifter, and if it were it would be enormous on this little cab. And I'm not sure about the idea of all the controls on one side of the wheel. But I DO see your point of the player-buttons being placed next to each other.

And to explain the 1 and 2-player buttons: This cab will also be used for playing games that requires a spinner, Arkanoid for example.

And a question: Is it possible to make ONE sequential View-button? So if you push the View-button it will loop through the different views.

Well, just keep your ideas coming folks. The final result will probably be something in between.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:00:03 am by johnrt »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:00:25 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 03:37:51 am »
Ummm, would't that setup be akward to play ? You'll be using the left hand for gas nearly the whole time, the right hand for steering. Now you want to shift low. Using your third hand.

johnrt

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 04:14:41 am »
yamatetsu: Well, actually no. The distance between the wheel and the buttons are so tiny that you can have your fingers on the buttons simultaneously. I've tried that. Also, the initial plan is to use pedals for gas and brake. The buttons are there for "reserve" or for the times the pedals are not connected.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 09:28:48 am »
I only used that background cause I butchered your original up pretty bad moving things around :)

If thats the case I'd probably do the buttons in a diamond pattern.  Keep the wheel off center to the left (like a real car) put gas and brake side by side, and put shift up above it in the middle, and shift down below it in the middle. This seems the most functional. Theoretically you can hold the gas with your ring finger, shift up with middle, shift down with thumb , and brake with index; or  just gas with your middle finger and use your index finger on everything else. I think it'll also work pretty well for when the pedals are connected :)

I also took into consideration playing a game like arkanoid, where you would have to "steer" and shoot at the same time (laser power up) this seems to work best for that too, so you have 1 hand to move the spinner and one to fire the buttons.  Just spit ballin ideas for ya, I wont be butthurt if you stick with your lay out.   Attached is a mock up, I took the time to doctor the background a little. Spacing is probably not 100% accurate, but thats why its called a mock up :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:33:23 am by Malenko »

johnrt

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2014, 09:34:47 am »
Malenko: That I did like!  :applaud: Thanks! I'll see what I can make of it.

johnrt

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 12:34:36 pm »
CP version 1.2:

With wheel:

With spinner knob:

I feel like the spinner/wheel have to be centered, as I think it looks good having it at the end of the road there. :lol PS: I haven't aligned anything 100% yet. I also have to make sure that the admin-buttons don't get in conflict with the main player buttons or the spinnner.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 12:40:17 pm »
hahhahha I see you sneaking more buttons in there now!

If you want the wheel centered, Id try to move the g/b/su/sd diamond more to the right a tick. I'd also spread the 2 sets of admin buttons a little further apart  so they dont cover the center line ( just personal preference) and a little more preference, Id make the shift up button on top, and the shift low on the bottom.  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 01:20:44 pm »
Malenko: Hehe.. yeah... but that's the final buttons.

I moved the admin-buttons away from the center and printed it out. Here's a mockup with wheel: (Notice that there's plenty of room underneath the wheel, so I don't HAVE to move those buttons to the right.)

With spinner knob:

It may actually be quite nice at the end:

But I have to get the admin-buttons away from the rest, otherwise they will be in conflict with each other.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »
yeah it definitely makes more sense to me to have them centered now that I have a visual. Probably better to leave them centered, then just move the radio/view buttons to the left as needed for clearance.   Now I'm super anxious to see the final product  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 03:11:20 pm »
I really don't need a Pause-button, so the question is: Can I skip the coin-button also? Can I map coin and player start to ONE button? Or maybe it's better to set freeplay on all games? In that case I can take out two of the admin-buttons.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 04:04:22 pm »
I really don't need a Pause-button, so the question is: Can I skip the coin-button also? Can I map coin and player start to ONE button? Or maybe it's better to set freeplay on all games? In that case I can take out two of the admin-buttons.

You can double map - in my experience just a few games have weird conflicts and none of them are drivers IIRC.  BTW, I'd get smaller buttons, no reason to use full size for all those, especially the admin buttons.  Just a thought.  Looking great!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 04:07:04 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of putting an exit button on the top , moving the start buttons up and putting coin under them, and double mapping gas as enter, then you have no buttons down there.

johnrt

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
This is the final placement of the buttons. This solves everything. It's enough room for all buttons and the hinges. I'll show you that at a later point. (there's just enough room for the coin-button there.).
The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is the background image.
About using smaller buttons: Well, I could, but I have so many buttons lying around I have to use them, and I like this size best.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:55:43 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2014, 04:00:36 pm »
Anyone know where in Europe(!) i can order the HAPP Marquee Retainer? I'm having a really hard time ordering that!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:03:30 pm by johnrt »

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2014, 06:55:53 pm »
Anyone know where in Europe(!) i can order the HAPP Marquee Retainer? I'm having a really hard time ordering that!

Why don't make your own retainers from aluminium ?
There are some fine, already in the right shape strips  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »
yay I feel like I helped!

I make marquee retainers out of aluminum L channel all the time, its super easy to do.

johnrt

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 03:57:20 am »
Superfrog: Well, I have been looking at aluminium profiles, but I haven't found anything suitable yet. But I'll keep looking.

Malenko: Of course you helped!  :notworthy:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 09:53:59 am »
If you want something with a nice curve, you can pick a protection strip from a stair and trim it flat... ( hope it's good English )  :dizzy:

Good Luck

johnrt

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »
CP about to be finished:

CP with wheel:

CP with knob:

Drivers view:

It's a tight fit (this is the coin-button):

From inside the CP. Here you also see the hinges:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 02:14:56 pm »
looks really good!

johnrt

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2014, 02:20:00 pm »
looks really good!
Yes, I must admit, I almost can't wait to actually play on this cab!

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:05:51 pm
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2014, 12:52:40 am »
Very nice work :)

johnrt

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »
Loudspeakers mounted and monitor bezel adjusted and fastened. This is by far the coolest cab I've built so far.  But I'm not sure how to fix the back on this one yet. I do need a fan back there, but when it's curved... how the hell do I do that?  Well, I'll probably figure out something.

Progress so far:

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
How about a square or rectangular recess in the back ?

- cut out a hole that is bigger than the fan

- make a small bezel for the fan

- the bezel goes straight down from the hole's upper edge, at a right angle to the ground

- make a "floor" board that goes from the lower edge of the bezel to the lower edge of the hole, parallel to the ground

- make two side boards that go from the left/right side of the bezel to the sides of the hole

- trim those so that they follow the curve

- voila !

johnrt

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »
yamatetsu: That's a great idea! Additionally I think it will look cool! Thanks!  :notworthy:

The back panel is about to be finished. I made room for 2xUSB, 1 footswitch jack and a powerbutton.

With footswitch jack plugged in.

The footswitch jack is a standard 6.35mm stereo jack.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:53:31 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 06:32:12 pm »
First video of the progress so far:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:45:07 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:00 pm »
It's like 30 degrees outside, and I can't lie still in a sunbed. :dizzy: I have to DO something. So today I've been sanding, filling, priming, sanding, filling, priming...
And, I made the T-molding slots!  The T-molding slots is the worst thing I'm doing. One glitch with the router and you may have to start from scratch again. Fortunately it went like a dream!  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »
nice rack enclosure!

johnrt

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »
nice rack enclosure!
Uhh... What rack enclosure? You mean the cable channel there in the background?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »
The monitor bezel sure gave me a hard time, but I finally nailed it. I found some wood strips that were cut 45 degrees:

Testfitting inside cab. I have applied one coat of primer. Next is more filling and sanding. I think it looks good. :-)

This is genius -  :applaud: - will be using this idea in the future!

johnrt

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2014, 01:59:57 pm »
My little hobby room down in the basement. It's a mess right now.

My network rack. I got CAT5 network cables all over the house:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2014, 03:19:50 pm »
Uhh... What rack enclosure? You mean the cable channel there in the background?

My network rack. I got CAT5 network cables all over the house:

^that one ;)

johnrt

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:16 pm »
Testing artwork on the cab. I like it! I just had to mount the monitor for this video. Also the bezel surrounding the monitor look good I think.
PS: The upper marquee bracket is just temporary.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 02:44:46 pm »
Nice Clean build, I would stick to outrun theme or pick another. Daytonaaaaa.......... This make me want to build a couple bartops.
Awesome work.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 05:16:36 pm
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »
Awesome job! Love the look of this. I had it in my mind to build an upright drive cab a while back, but put it on the back burners. This is bringing that spark back. Good work :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2014, 04:12:03 pm »
I'm glad you guys like it! Regarding the artwork, this is just a test. But using the OutRun theme is a little to obvious on this builb. :lol But I'm not sure yet how it will look in the end. And I have to start somewhere.

kuehnau

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »
A friend of mine is crippled and has a heavily modified truck. The steering wheel has like a Deadman's switch kind of deal that extends from the steering wheel right under it so he can hold the wheel and clutch the switch at the same time.

I don't suppose something like that would be possible for your cabinet? You'd just have to jerry-rig something up to hit a cherry switch under the panel.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2014, 04:53:29 pm »
Nice Clean build, I would stick to outrun theme or pick another. Daytonaaaaa.......... This make me want to build a couple bartops.
Awesome work.

+1

I like the Outrun theme more.. it fits much better at the end.
I'm thinking, after my KISS pinball, to build a driving bartop or a cocktail table  :banghead:

Keep the updates coming  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2014, 05:06:07 pm »
Here's a few other artwork samples that was made to me by a very talented guy on a facebook group I'm member of (Project MAME - Build your own MAME cabinet.):

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2014, 05:20:43 pm »
I'll start by saying, I *REALLY* like the art in the test video, but its not OutRun.  Of the OutRun ones you posted, I like the first one the best.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2014, 05:25:23 pm »
I would pick the first or last one  :angel:

Bud I found this version sexy.. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111231.0.html The outrun / GTA look  :cheers:

Take your time for picking some artwork, it could be a fail if it's not right.
Your great project NEED the have a perfect artwork at the end, to make it even better  >:D

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:38 pm »
First one. By a country mile. Looks fantastic.

Something not quite right with the  'outrun' text but can't out what it is...

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »
"Something not quite right with the  'outrun' text but can't out what it is..."

Maybe it should be tilted like in the third pic ?

I also like the first one best, except for the inconsistencies. This obviously consists of three parts, the sky in the middle and the lower part
looks a little bit different, there's a cut-off cloud under the 'R' and the palm tree leaves on the left are chopped.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the rightmost mountain has the top of a palm tree growing out of it.

You may not notice these things in a screen-size picture, but if you print it full size ...

TheDude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2014, 02:25:18 am »
I prefer the last one, for all it's worth.
Impressive work on this bartop. Great quality build !  :applaud:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2014, 09:17:04 am »
"Something not quite right with the  'outrun' text but can't out what it is..."

Maybe it should be tilted like in the third pic ?

I also like the first one best, except for the inconsistencies. This obviously consists of three parts, the sky in the middle and the lower part
looks a little bit different, there's a cut-off cloud under the 'R' and the palm tree leaves on the left are chopped.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the rightmost mountain has the top of a palm tree growing out of it.

You may not notice these things in a screen-size picture, but if you print it full size ...

I did see that also.
Specially the chopped pictures is a bummer if you don't redo that before printing.
Dud I can imagine that's just a quick  mock-up for testing what direction you will go  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2014, 09:27:03 am »
Yes, everything artwork-wise is just mock-ups for now. I need the artwork to say: "YES, THIS IS IT!" before sending it to printing.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:02 am »
can you give me the dimensions of the side art (or an exact size template?)  same goes for the CP.

I'd be happy to try and whip something up for you

johnrt

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:21 am »
got em. was hoping you'd have the striped one to work off of for the CP.

Im going to try and keep it as outrun-ish as possible

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2014, 10:23:48 am »
Two things:

I prefer this one by far.

What buttons are those, with the very-low-profile switches?

johnrt

« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:05 am »
Yvan256: These are goldleaf buttons from Ultimarc:
http://www.ultimarc.com/goldleaf.html

Malenko: I din't make that striped CP. But it's just PP modified. The original is here: http://vectorlib.free.fr/PolePosition/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:28:14 am by johnrt »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2014, 10:32:30 am »
Yvan256: These are goldleaf buttons from Ultimarc:
http://www.ultimarc.com/goldleaf.html

Thank you. I should have recognized those.

johnrt

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2014, 01:22:32 pm »
I would really appreciate if anyone of you could help me a little with the artwork. I'm not good at this. It's almost like this is my artisitic level:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:25:44 pm by johnrt »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 01:24:02 pm »
Im finishing up some commissioned work but I'll try to poke around with it

johnrt

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2014, 01:40:50 pm »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2014, 01:43:43 pm »
do you have a name for the cab or is it going to just have an OutRun Skin ?

johnrt

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »
do you have a name for the cab or is it going to just have an OutRun Skin ?
No, I don't have a name for it. The OutRun theme/skin is enough for me. Allthough I'm wide open for suggestions.

johnrt

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2014, 01:54:12 pm »
Ouch!

The marquee template size is wrong! Download it again to get the right size! It's width is 40cm NOT 50cm!

gbeef

• Offline Offline
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2014, 05:46:37 pm »
+1 for outrun also..... lol. If i were to goto back daytona usa would be second choice.
great build so far. Art can make or brake the cabinet, you got some good side choices going on, i would revist the cp.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed

johnrt

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2014, 11:02:11 am »
Today I've been working on the back and upper marquee area.

I have mounted the battens:

And fabricated some other wooden parts:

Tested with 4mm plywood:

This is how big the lid will be.

Some experimenting with ventilation holes (this one I did not like):

Soaking the plywood:

I'm using the house itself for bending it:  :lol
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:16:39 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »
The bent plywood did fit like a glove. It''s now glued on. But I made a mistake: I forgot to make the ventilation holes! Well, I have to make them anyway, only now I have ONE try.  :banghead:

The back lid panel was bent too much, so I have to make a new one.

Inside the marquee area:

The fan I'm gonna use. Btw: I'm a big fan of this fan!  :lol

First coat of primer revealed some imperfections on the surface, as expected:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:04:05 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2014, 01:58:46 pm »
Today I started on the back lid. First I made a template for the ribs:

Using 18mm plywood I then cut the ribs a little to big. The rest was a job for the router.

I screwed the pieces together. And screwed the whole thing to a scrap piece of plywood prior to routing it.

The result: 4 exact copies.

And the structure for the back lid is almost ready:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:03:23 am by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2014, 04:30:44 pm »
Today I only did some priming and sanding. The result so far:

And the curved back is getting smooth!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:08:03 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2014, 05:11:11 pm »
Looks amazing. :cheers:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2014, 05:13:24 pm »
Now the shape got even better  :applaud:

I like the curves on this one  >:D

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2014, 05:38:47 pm »
Cool.

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 08:30:50 am
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2014, 10:26:20 am »
Looks like i'm a bit late to the party for suggestions but I think it would be good to build paddle shifters behind the wheel and then you can use one for accelerator, one for brake.

Then drill some small holes to make 2 small buttons on the wheel i.e the size of a small pad, use the logitech gt wheel for an example (one either side you can get your thumbs on) and perhaps put a button right in the center.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2014, 10:40:58 am »
This is going to be a beauty. Very nice  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

johnrt

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2014, 02:00:36 pm »
About the ventilation holes in the back:

Today I found these on a local shop (I don't know what they are called in english):

I cut them in right sizes:

Next I drilled some holes in the back of the cab:

And the result did turn out quite nice. I want to keep these white allthough if the back is painted black. They will make a nice contrast back there.

johnrt

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »
I'm just playing around a little with the original artwork. I have simplified it compared to the original one. But you guys think this is a way to go?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:46:05 pm by johnrt »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2014, 07:52:35 pm »
other than the chick's eyes, I really like it

johnrt

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2014, 08:34:28 pm »
other than the chick's eyes, I really like it
Well. That's how her eyes looks like in the original artwork. I think they looks good!  :lol

johnrt

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:14 am »
Further work on artwork. Actually I'm quite happy with this one.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:07 am »
Very sharp :applaud:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2014, 10:03:09 am »
Id lose the OutRun logo, and maybe adjust the pink on the hood to contrast a little less. I know its very close to the original, but I think it'd be better without it

johnrt

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2014, 10:50:17 am »
Adjusted the hood color and moved the OutRun text and made it smaller.

Moved the clouds to avoid clipping them:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:02:27 am by johnrt »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2014, 11:11:09 am »
thats a winner right there.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2014, 11:23:50 am »
The color correction is very nice now, bud I would go for a Bigger OUTRUN logo and a smaller SEGA logo.
It's a Outrun cabinet, so it has to be on top  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2014, 11:43:56 am »
now that you mention it..... I'd move the sega logo to the top right corner. I still say lose the outrun logo, so you can name the cab something else. If youre going to make the marquee say OutRun, then keep it.
YMMV

johnrt

« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »
How about this? Now it's not that naked on the top right corner either.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2014, 12:22:11 pm »
I really like it - any chance you can add something that personalizes it for you? Plates on the car, family emblem, or something?

I put a "Built in XXXX by my name" in small letters on the bottom of my sideart

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2014, 12:22:21 pm »
her eyes still bug me. I made a minor eye ball and eyebrow adjustment, attached.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »
If you're going to adjust her eyes make'em blue.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »
If you're going to adjust her eyes make'em blue.

racist!  not everyone is Aryan  like your wife! lol    if she gets blue eyes, make his green and give him red hair (like meeeee)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:48:39 pm by Malenko »

johnrt

« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »
Modified marquee based on the original one:

And fixed a little on the girls eyes, and added a healthier skin color.  :lol
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:41:59 pm by johnrt »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »
I like the artwork and all, but being off center might drive me crazy.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2014, 03:49:24 pm »

her hair being orange in the marquee but blonde on the sides would drive me crazy.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2014, 03:50:20 pm »

her hair being orange in the marquee but blonde on the sides would drive me crazy.

Yeah, the red hair would definitely have to go. Definitely.

johnrt

« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2014, 03:51:08 pm »
What do you mean? What's off center?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »

Yeah, the red hair would definitely have to go. Definitely.

Don't you have Ginger Asian babies?

and johnrt I think he means the marquee , but thats almost exactly how sega did it

johnrt

« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2014, 04:07:50 pm »
You guys are too concerned about the girl's hair color and eyes and what not.  :lol :lol :lol

But here she is. Blonde again!  :lol  (I also changed the dashboard color)

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2014, 04:20:45 pm »
Great marquee  :applaud:
I wanna be picky to  >:D Why don't you use the same outrun logo for the side art...  Blue and that size  :dizzy:
I like the size of the sega and outrun logo on the marquee more .. so give it a run for the side as wel... side now is outrun black and smaller  :cheers:

ps: maybe you can edit some small Trademark or Copyright text at the bottom of the artwork, to finish it of  :cheers: 

Your almost there, hang on  :laugh2:

johnrt

« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2014, 04:51:05 pm »
Ok. Last one for tonight. Now to the hard part. Finding a CP artwork that matches.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2014, 05:30:20 pm »
Hey Johnrt - you're interrupting mine and Malenkos converation.  ;)

I like the sideart, but I think a license plate that says your name or the year it was built would be a nice touch. Oh, and ditch the Sega logo. You're making this game! Put your name up there.

johnrt

« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »
Hey Johnrt - you're interrupting mine and Malenkos converation.  ;)

I like the sideart, but I think a license plate that says your name or the year it was built would be a nice touch. Oh, and ditch the Sega logo. You're making this game! Put your name up there.
After looking at it for some hours now, I agree. The SEGA logo is out of place. I may ditch that at the end.
But I won't personalize the cab because eventually it may be sold to make room for other projects.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2014, 08:53:33 pm »
At least do your current license plate. Buyers will think it's a cool touch.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2014, 12:53:00 am »
You could use "NRVOUS" to make it a Ferris Bueller easter-egg, with a "2014" or "'14" in the corner to show the build year.   ;D

Scott

johnrt

« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2014, 06:01:20 am »
Haha! Too much?

How about a tribute to PP?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:34:03 am by johnrt »

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2014, 10:45:52 am »
I like the tribute marquee and the whole artwork.. Like the big outrun logo with black more then the blue one .
The side artwork is missing something  :dizzy:

johnrt

« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2014, 11:05:02 am »
I like the tribute marquee and the whole artwork.. Like the big outrun logo with black more then the blue one .
The side artwork is missing something  :dizzy:
Yes, it's missing something. It's too plain and simple compared to the marquee. It may be the shadows under the car. I kinda removed them... But I can try to add some.
Edit: Shadows applied:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:07:05 pm by johnrt »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »
In the time since I abandoned my Outrun upright project,

1. Boards are easy to replace (Cannonball project)
2. Repro steering gears have become affordable
3. Art has been vectorized

which were my three roadblocks (pun intended)  :banghead:

Related: this build is awesome.  :applaud:
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »
Regarding the side art : How about ditching the SEGA logo and moving / resizing the clouds so that the seagulls end up in the logo's place ?

Then move the Outrun logo a bit up.

The marquee : The second version is my bet, but it looks a bit crowded. I'd move the logos to the right corner, so the Ferrari can be seen in its
whole glory.

johnrt

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »
Regarding the side art : How about ditching the SEGA logo and moving / resizing the clouds so that the seagulls end up in the logo's place ?

Then move the Outrun logo a bit up.

The marquee : The second version is my bet, but it looks a bit crowded. I'd move the logos to the right corner, so the Ferrari can be seen in its
whole glory.

The Ferrarri is made from the original artwork. On the original artwork the OutRun logo covers the right front wheel on the car. That said, I will have to draw the rest of the car by hand and I'm not that skilled. This is how it looks without logos:

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2014, 02:36:04 pm »
Ah. Bummer.

johnrt

« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:06 pm »
For those of you interested, I have uploaded the photoshop files here:
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/misc/artwork_backup_08.08.2014.zip (250 MB)
Feel free to do whatever you want with them. Some suggestions is welcomed. I will never cling to any files on this project. If it's not publicly released, it is simply an oversight. In that case, ask and you skall receive!  :lol

johnrt

« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2014, 04:07:22 pm »
Started on the CP. This is based on the OutRun Map sticker. It's clean and simple. Maybe too simple.  :lol

This is the original OutRun map:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:58:19 pm by johnrt »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2014, 06:17:01 pm »
Why does it say bra, brah?

johnrt

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2014, 06:20:05 pm »
Why does it say bra, brah?
With the wheel unattached:

And trust me, you DO see the text even when the wheel is attached. That being said, I may alter the text positions.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2014, 08:53:37 am »
I re-read through the thread looking for what you are going to do about the gas pedal and I didn't see anything, but you know the gas pedal is a pot, right? I don't think you'll be happy with a microswitched driver. I built one and found there were just so many variables. I used a microswitched set of pedals and found that it's 100% gas or none - lots of the good racing games are not playable like that. You can't depress your gas pedal down 75% and drive at a slower speed. You were always gunning it when giving it gas. Some games like Outrun and Pole Position just weren't playable. Long story short, unless there is some fix I'm aware of, the buttons on the CP for the gas won't work all that well. I even tried pumping the gas to give it gas sometimes, but the games didn't like that all that well either.

The shifting is tough to because mame wants to use 1 button for shifting. Shifting from Hi to Lo back to high didn't matter, it was the same button. I used a return to center shifter but it still was confusing to know which gear you were in. Perhaps there is a solution for it now, but back when I built mine there were a few games which would display which gear you were in. Either way, the problem with shifting in Mame was there wasn't a dedicated hi and low button that gets depressed.

The steering wheel on some games is 270 and 360 on others. Outrun is a 270 game, but I didn't have much issues with a 360 steering wheel.

I apologize if you covered these issues earlier, but I read through your first few posts and didn't see how you were going to address these issues. My game only accurately played a couple games and I would have needed to add a pot gas pedal to make it playable with Outrun.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:55:39 am by leapinlew »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2014, 09:56:55 am »
Seems like a hand throttle would be a good deal for this - like what if found on Hydro Thunder.  Would be pretty easy to fabricate and is you used a super cheak KADE+ you could wire all your inputs to that (minus the spinner). 

johnrt

« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »
I re-read through the thread looking for what you are going to do about the gas pedal and I didn't see anything, but you know the gas pedal is a pot, right? I don't think you'll be happy with a microswitched driver. I built one and found there were just so many variables. I used a microswitched set of pedals and found that it's 100% gas or none - lots of the good racing games are not playable like that. You can't depress your gas pedal down 75% and drive at a slower speed. You were always gunning it when giving it gas. Some games like Outrun and Pole Position just weren't playable. Long story short, unless there is some fix I'm aware of, the buttons on the CP for the gas won't work all that well. I even tried pumping the gas to give it gas sometimes, but the games didn't like that all that well either.

The shifting is tough to because mame wants to use 1 button for shifting. Shifting from Hi to Lo back to high didn't matter, it was the same button. I used a return to center shifter but it still was confusing to know which gear you were in. Perhaps there is a solution for it now, but back when I built mine there were a few games which would display which gear you were in. Either way, the problem with shifting in Mame was there wasn't a dedicated hi and low button that gets depressed.

The steering wheel on some games is 270 and 360 on others. Outrun is a 270 game, but I didn't have much issues with a 360 steering wheel.

I apologize if you covered these issues earlier, but I read through your first few posts and didn't see how you were going to address these issues. My game only accurately played a couple games and I would have needed to add a pot gas pedal to make it playable with Outrun.
Well, I've been playing like PP on my upright arcade machine with joysticks and buttons, and even that worked for me. Regarding pedals: Well, this is new area for me. My first priority is to finish the cab first, then I'll start with all other issues. I'm a realist, so I know that every driving games can't be played on this cab. And about the CP, the whole cab is a prototype, and if needed the CP is the easiest to change in the future as it's just two pieces of plywood. Can I replace the gas-button with for example another spinner and use that as throttle? I don't know these things yet. I want to finish the cab and start figuring these things out.  :lol

johnrt

« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2014, 03:15:20 pm »
Today I've made a motherboard (Mini-ATX), mounting bracket out of 3mm plastic glass:

I fastened the 2.5" SSD on the back side of this:

Inside the cab I made a wooden frame to fasten it:

And here's the result. I have also mounted  the audio amplifier in one side of the cab. Now I need like a 20cm VGA cable. I only got like 1.5m VGA cables lying around.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:22:50 pm by johnrt »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »

Well, I've been playing like PP on my upright arcade machine with joysticks and buttons, and even that worked for me. Regarding pedals: Well, this is new area for me. My first priority is to finish the cab first, then I'll start with all other issues. I'm a realist, so I know that every driving games can't be played on this cab. And about the CP, the whole cab is a prototype, and if needed the CP is the easiest to change in the future as it's just two pieces of plywood. Can I replace the gas-button with for example another spinner and use that as throttle? I don't know these things yet. I want to finish the cab and start figuring these things out.  :lol

That's cool. I made Prepare to Qualify (link from my sig) and it had a 360 steering wheel and microswitched pedals. If I used POT pedals, that probably would have been the best compromise for maximum compatibility. Shifting still would have been a problem.

johnrt

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2014, 04:01:06 pm »
An ID tag is required:  :lol

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2014, 04:20:46 pm »
90 watts?  :bat

Check your math -- the motherboard/CPU is probably using more than that even before you add the monitor, marquee lighting, audio amp, etc.

At least get it in the right ballpark.
   ;D

On the positive side, your numbers are closer than Cory's were.  ::)

Scott
EDIT: Please pardon my uninformed assumption, didn't see a reference in this thread to the MB/CPU and monitor you're using.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:24:59 pm by PL1 »

johnrt

« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2014, 04:48:26 pm »
90 watts?  :bat

Check your math -- the motherboard/CPU is probably using more than that even before you add the monitor, marquee lighting, audio amp, etc.

At least get it in the right ballpark.   ;D

On the positive side, your numbers are closer than Cory's were.  ::)

Scott
Oh, but you're so wrong my friend! To prove it I set up an amp-meter on my Fix it Felix cab. This cab has a similar motherboard, same amp and will have the same marquee. This is using 0.35A at 220V when running HyperSpin and MAME with in this case Super Cobra. According to Ohms Law where P=UxI we get 220 x 0.35 = 77W

And here's the proof. This multimeter measures amps: (btw: this setup is not recommended since we're dealing with 220 volts, so don't do this at home)

Anything else you were wondering about?  :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:04:45 pm by johnrt »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »
Anything else you was wondering about?  :lol :lol :lol
:embarassed:  Nope.  :cheers:

Nice efficient system you've got there.   ;D

Scott

johnrt

« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2014, 05:16:33 pm »
:embarassed:  Nope.  :cheers:
Nice efficient system you've got there.   ;D
If you're using old inefficient computers and old fashion marquees the numbers would be different. But with today's modern computer technology and last but not least the LED technology, the power consumption is much reduced. This is also why people keep telling me that the cooling system with just one fan and some ventilation holes are inadequate. Well, 10 years ago it would have been, but not today!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:19:44 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2014, 06:36:02 pm »
Just some minor updates today.

I attached a mounting bracket to the PSU. This PSU will be fastened with just ONE wooden screw. It'll be locked inside the back panel. (See earlier pictures)

Speakers mounted:

The speaker grills:

johnrt

« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2014, 01:48:05 pm »
Today I finished up the frame for the back lid. A LOT of work, but eventually it turned out quite nice.

Now I'm just missing the 4mm bent plywood:

And here's a fan grill mock-up:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2014, 03:29:15 pm »
To address the concerns about the pedals not being analog, learn as much as you can about how to set these controls up in MAME.

You'll want to adjust the "digital" options under analog controls in MAME's in-game controls menu.
"digital speed" will change how fast the virtual pedal is depressed when you press the button.
Adjust it correctly and the car won't squeal the tires and lose time every time you take off.
"digital centering" will change how fast the virtual pedal returns to its resting state when you release the button.

It's not as optimal as an analog pedal, but when set properly it's better than instant on/off.

Like most things concerning analog controls in MAME, this will need to be done for each game separately if you want the best experience.

johnrt

« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »
To address the concerns about the pedals not being analog, learn as much as you can about how to set these controls up in MAME.

You'll want to adjust the "digital" options under analog controls in MAME's in-game controls menu.
"digital speed" will change how fast the virtual pedal is depressed when you press the button.
Adjust it correctly and the car won't squeal the tires and lose time every time you take off.
"digital centering" will change how fast the virtual pedal returns to its resting state when you release the button.

It's not as optimal as an analog pedal, but when set properly it's better than instant on/off.

Like most things concerning analog controls in MAME, this will need to be done for each game separately if you want the best experience.
Interesting! I'll sure look into that. I'll soon have the cab up'n running (without artwork though, but still), so I will experiment with that. Thanks for the tip!  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2014, 03:10:47 pm »
Back lid plywood applied and adapted.

And hinges mounted:

Glued, screwed and fillled. Next is sanding and perhaps more filling.

And tomorrow my HAPP marquee retainers arrive!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:31:02 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2014, 04:31:02 pm »
Back lid. Lock and fan grill mock-up. Still needs some sanding, filling and primer.

Marquee retainers testfit.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2014, 04:42:04 pm »
looking good!

johnrt

« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:11 pm »
Today I started on the circuit for the ONE View-button I have on the CP. Instead of having up to 4 View-buttons, this circuit makes it possible to step through the different views. Circuit is made of CMOS circuits 4093 (NAND Schmitt-Trigger) and 4017 (Decade counter).

I need the outputs to be an impulse instead of always on. Suggestions?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:57:30 pm by johnrt »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2014, 01:12:13 am »
Not sure about the schematic for your circuit, but you might be able to use the button press to also provide power to a 4 pole (4PST or 4PDT) solid state relay. (each LED represents one encoder input, right?)

Each press of the button should close the relay longer than it takes for the counter circuit to advance.

When the button is released, the relay opens.   :cheers:

If the relay and counter circuits interfere with each other, use the button to drive a 2 pole relay with the 4 pole relay power on one pole and the counter circuit on the other.

Scott

johnrt

« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2014, 07:25:27 pm »
PL1: I think I nailed it.

This is the circuit (a pencil drawing):

With this the output stays connected as long as the button is pressed, so the outputs is an exact copy of the keypress!

Here's a video: Note that the outputs is inverted in this video. The BC557 PNP transistors will invert the outputs back to normal again. The relays will be small reed relays:
Link to reed relays: https://www.elfaelektronikk.no/elfa3~no_no/elfa/init.do?item=37-462-04
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:42:19 pm by johnrt »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2014, 04:41:55 am »
As long as the circuit driving the LEDs can drive the relays, it should be fine.   :notworthy:

Scott

johnrt

« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
I haven't forgot everything I've learned during my electronic education quite yet. This is the PCB for my 3/4-way sequential View-button:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:39:14 am by johnrt »

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:42 pm »
 :banghead: good god, I can read some things, bud I can never build something like this on my own  :dizzy:

Always nice to see that people who can do these things  :cheers:

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:16:53 am
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2014, 12:11:51 am »
:banghead: good god, I can read some things, bud I can never build something like this on my own  :dizzy:

Always nice to see that people who can do these things  :cheers:

I can't read any of the things :( I'd love to be able to throw together some of these electrical thingies...

TheDude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2014, 03:43:01 am »
This bartop never fails to impress me so far ! Impressive skills and a very orginal execution !  :notworthy:

johnrt

« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »
A little update:

Marquee LED strip mounted:

And tested:

Modification rig for the lower marquee retainer:

The final result marquee-wise:

Another shot:

By using the shortest cables possible...

...we get a really tidy setup:

The back lid is also painted:

And here's the final schematic for the 3/4-way sequential View-button:

johnrt

« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »
Ï have also acquired an original Sega Outrun! Everything on it works, but it needs some tender care. Something to do when winter arrives:

And here's the original side by side with the little bartop. Is this cool or what?  :lol

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:16:53 am
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2014, 04:54:50 pm »
The way the curves match (at least in your photo!) is beyond awesome. Excellent job!

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2014, 05:16:44 pm »
Awesome  :notworthy:
Bud you really have to hurry, because I can't stand any longer til I finally can see the outcome of this beauty  :censored: :censored: :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2014, 05:24:46 pm »
Bud you really have to hurry, because I can't stand any longer til I finally can see the outcome of this beauty
There's actually not much work left on it. I will order the PCB for the view-button by tuesday, and then I only miss the artwork. This I will test during this weekend, and hopefully order it within next week. I already got the T-molding, buttons, PC, HDD, PSU and encoder (in fact everything). The T-molding will be applied AFTER the artwork. I also can't wait to finish this!

And now I'm thinking of selling my Fix it Felix cab. I would give it away to the childrens hospital if it weren't for the legal issues (ROM-wise). :-P

johnrt

« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2014, 06:10:31 pm »
Today I've done some wiring. I think this will be the tidiest cab I've ever done wirng-wise. Here's shot from the front:

Prepared power for marquee, audio amplifier and my view-button circuit. The power is 12V from the PC PSU.

Loudspeaker cables:

Audio amplifier:

Even the power for the monitor is from the PC PSU (And yes, it works):

johnrt

« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2014, 01:01:35 pm »
Video coming later this evening!

Testing of artwork:

From the front:

From behind:

From behind with back lid opened:

How do you guys like my bottom base?  :lol

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »
 :applaud: Very nice.

Only two things my eyes can't stand  :angel: the Sega logo in the marquee.. if you make it a little bit smaller, it won't hit the marquee holder.
And the graphics of the cp is not fitting the nice side and marquee artwork  :dizzy: 

Maybe you can skip it and try something new  :cheers:

Back and inside ware very slick and clean  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2014, 03:09:54 pm »
:applaud: Very nice.

Only two things my eyes can't stand  :angel: the Sega logo in the marquee.. if you make it a little bit smaller, it won't hit the marquee holder.
And the graphics of the cp is not fitting the nice side and marquee artwork  :dizzy: 

Maybe you can skip it and try something new  :cheers:

Back and inside ware very slick and clean  :cheers:
About the Sega logo, yes I see it also. That's why I try this with plain paper first to check how things turn out. And I agree: the Sega logo has to shrink or at least being moved.

The CP graphics: This is based on the map from the original cabinet. But since I suck that much on the artistic level I don't have anything else to show. I DO welcome any artwork suggestions!  :lol Nothing is 100% decided yet artwork-wise.

johnrt

« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »
And here's another video of the project. It's slowly getting there.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
Excellent. :cheers:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2014, 05:05:01 pm »
VERY nice. Loves that profile and the artwork.

johnrt

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2014, 11:26:09 am »
Yesterday I went by a flee market and found this. A fully working Microsoft Sidewinder USB racing wheel and pedals. For this I paid 20NOK, that is 2.50 Euro or 3 USD. Maybe I'll use the pedals on my bartop.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2014, 12:02:45 pm »
Why not the whole wheel  >:D

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:21 pm »
Do you get any noise feedback from having the PSU hooked up to everything?

johnrt

« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2014, 03:13:35 am »
No, I'm using a ground loop isolator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260741338139

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2014, 05:16:47 am »
No, I'm using a ground loop isolator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260741338139

Awesome, thanks for the info and link!!

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2014, 05:18:12 pm »
John,
How long do you have to Soaking the plywood in the water and let it dry in the shape you want?

I'm thinking of using that Technic for my next project.

Will it stay in the position when it's dry, or did it want to go back a little in the original form ?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2014, 11:56:28 pm »
Looking good johnrt  :cheers:

I like the SEGA logo up top.   >:D
If anything, I'd make the Outrun Logo bigger, but it doesn't look bad as it is now.

Why not the whole wheel  >:D

That thing is from before the time dinput force feedback was standardized.
The force feedback won't work on anything but some very old games that were designed specifically for it.
The original Logitech Formula Force is the same way.

johnrt

« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »
John,
How long do you have to Soaking the plywood in the water and let it dry in the shape you want?

I'm thinking of using that Technic for my next project.

Will it stay in the position when it's dry, or did it want to go back a little in the original form ?
Sorry for the late reply. I'm currently in a hotel room in San Francisco.
I soaked the plywood for about half an hour. And it will stay in that position. It didn't go back at all in my case.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2014, 11:26:07 pm »
I soaked the plywood for about half an hour. And it will stay in that position. It didn't go back at all in my case.

I promise I tried to find the answer:  Who think is that plywood?  Only half an hour?  :shazzle:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2014, 10:31:56 am »
This totally needs a mini base with wee pedals at the bottom, built so you play it sitting.  Looking awesome!

johnrt

« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2014, 12:31:06 pm »
So while I was away in SF the PCB for my Sequential View-button circuit arrived. It look very professional!

And the finished result just missing the screw terminal (which I don't have yet):

And I also received some more short cables, this time for the audio amplifier:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:49:47 pm by johnrt »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2014, 04:57:04 pm »
There is just too much awesomeness going on in this thread.  :cheers:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2014, 06:18:44 pm »
So while I was away in SF the PCB for my Sequential View-button circuit arrived. It look very professional!

Maybe I missed it, but where did you order your PCB from? I think this is all sorts of awesome.

johnrt

« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2014, 04:19:42 am »
Maybe I missed it, but where did you order your PCB from? I think this is all sorts of awesome.
The PCB is made with software from http://fritzing.org/home/
Here you'll find the necessary software and services to create your very own PCB. :-)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2014, 06:02:24 am »
The PCB is made with software from http://fritzing.org/home/
Here you'll find the necessary software and services to create your very own PCB. :-)

Sweet! Thanks man!

johnrt

« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2014, 02:02:49 pm »
The progress is quite slow at the moment. I finally received the screw terminal for my view-button board. Here's a pic of my sequential view-button circuit together with the iPac.

I've decided not to finish up the artwork until I've tried the CP layout. And actually played a few games on it. I'll see if I can find the time to wire the CP one of these days and start playing. I don't miss any parts right now, so it's just some assembly left on this cab.

I managed to finish the ground harness tonight. I don't cut the wires between each connector, I just remove 1cm of insulation where I want the connector to be:

Preparing for crimping:

The finished result: A very custom ground harness:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:07:24 pm by johnrt »

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2014, 11:36:27 pm »
Very clever way of doing the ground harness! That's the first time I see it, anyway. The simple ideas are often the best!

P.S.: you know we'll all copy this method from now on, do you?  ;)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2014, 09:24:08 am »

This is simply not true. Many of us will attempt it, and then accidentally cut through the wire. Over, and over again. Until we give up.

:D

Quality work!

johnrt

« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2014, 03:55:36 pm »
So I started on the wiring tonight. It's not a straight forward control panel to wire, but I try my best. It doesn't look THAT good, but it's OK.

And I also mounted my boards in the bottom of the cab:

Maybe tomorrow I'll be finished with this d*** thing. :-)

Nestafari

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2019, 09:08:58 am
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2014, 11:20:21 pm »
 :notworthy:
Space Simpsons cab in progress

johnrt

« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2014, 09:29:23 am »
Today I finished up the CP wiring. My view-button circuit works like a charm! Here's some pics. I'm currently uploading a video of the cab in action. I'll post the youtube-link when that's done.

And it works fantastic playing Arkanoid!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2014, 09:56:34 am »
Oh, making it playable. Big mistake.  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2014, 09:59:19 am »
And here's the first video of the cab in action!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2014, 10:10:46 am »
thats pretty awesome man!  Glad that diamond pattern on the right worked out for you, I still would have flipped the gas and brake positions :p  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2014, 10:14:34 am »
thats pretty awesome man!  Glad that diamond pattern on the right worked out for you, I still would have flipped the gas and brake positions :p  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Yes, I will do that! This is also why the artwork isn't ordered yet.  :lol

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
Very clever way of doing the ground harness! That's the first time I see it, anyway. The simple ideas are often the best!

Is there any other way for ground? :dunno
Even the pre-done harnesses I've seen has the same layout.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2014, 02:52:59 pm »

That is conceivably 3' of continuous wire.  Whereas someone could have similar looking results by cutting 9 separate lengths of wire and crimping them together.

johnrt

« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2014, 05:26:48 pm »
Since I got the cab playable, I've spent hours playing it! It's SUPER FUN! This is my best cab so far. The control panel and the diamond pattern works very well. I've been testing the analog foot pedal, but I actually find the buttons on the CP better to play with. I may actually ditch the whole pedal idea.

I did a fresh install of HyperSpin and got it up'n running. I've installed about 50 games on it so far which are spinner or wheel controlable.

I would very much like a custom intro-video to HyperSpin. Is there anybody here who wants to make one? It needs to be driver themed, and not too long (same length as the original HS intro video).

I've long been wondering what to use to lock the CP in place. Today I found these magnetic locks. At first they look like any other magnetic lock, but these are stronger. While a normal lock of this kind can hold 1kg this can hold 4kg! I've mounted ONE of these on my CP and that's enough! Problem solved!

A closeup of the inside:

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2014, 09:09:45 am »

That is conceivably 3' of continuous wire.  Whereas someone could have similar looking results by cutting 9 separate lengths of wire and crimping them together.

Aaaah... You see, that picture didn't load for some reason. :banghead:
I get it now. 

johnrt

« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:06 am »
Oh, making it playable. Big mistake.  :cheers:
It was definitely a mistake. Once I finish an arcade, that is making it playable, I lose interest in it.  :hissy: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Well, must take myself together and at least finish the artwork, order it and apply it to the cab. Then I can stove it away and start another project that winds up the same way.  :dizzy:

johnrt

« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2014, 03:28:45 pm »
Here's a new video that among other things shows my View-button circuit in action. Cab is now installed with HyperSpin and many spinner/wheel-games are installed:

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2014, 08:47:29 am »
This is awesome!!!

What monitor are you using and anything your not happy with?

Also what need to be made next is one of these spintraks devices that has forcefeed back and re-centering

johnrt

« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2014, 04:25:30 am »
This is awesome!!!

What monitor are you using and anything your not happy with?

Also what need to be made next is one of these spintraks devices that has forcefeed back and re-centering
Thanks!
I'm using a 15" LCD. It's a ViewSonic VG150m that I gutted. I'm actually quite happy with this little fellow. The CP buttons works fine. Almost to that point that I'm thinking about ditching the pedal idea. I'm gonna have to finish up the artwork soon. But first I have to quit playing it. It was a big mistake making it playable. :-)

What spintrak device are you talking about?

gbeef

• Offline Offline
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #218 on: October 27, 2014, 10:35:18 am »
Can you play Daytona Usa on something like this?

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed

johnrt

« Reply #219 on: October 27, 2014, 10:36:44 am »
Can you play Daytona Usa on something like this?
I'll try when I get home from work. I'll let you know.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #220 on: October 27, 2014, 10:46:47 am »
Great work!  I want one!  LOL!

The mini steering wheel from GGG looks perfect on that bartop.  The size is "just right"!

RandyT, take note!  You need to put his 2nd video on your product page!

Well done!

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2014, 02:15:28 pm »
What spintrak device are you talking about?

The Spinner, i guess its not a spintrak spinner from Ultimarc then

johnrt

« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »
The spinner is a TurboTwist 2 from GroovyGameGear:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=268

But are there spinners with force feedback available?

MQQNEYES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2014, 07:59:47 am
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2014, 06:19:17 am »
Awesome bartop man

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2014, 07:40:58 pm »
The spinner is a TurboTwist 2 from GroovyGameGear:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=268

But are there spinners with force feedback available?

No, not that im aware of. Thats why i was saying, someone needs to develop one...would be awesome!!

johnrt

« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2014, 10:47:26 am »
I'm currently working on the artwork. Some fine tuning before sending it to GoG. I have added a border round the edge on the side art, but should that border be white or black? Keep in mind that I already possess black T-molding for this cab.

So which one?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2014, 11:01:46 am »
the white pops better

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2014, 11:39:56 am »
+1 on the white

My suggestion, however, would be a mix of the two, i.e. a thin black outline around the art followed by the white border.

johnrt

« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »
I agree that the white pops out way more. But isn't it too much contrast with the marquee area (the black marquee retainers) and the rest of the cab? And I have also tried the black T-molding now, and I think the white border become way to dominant. Also the black is closer to the original.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:47:02 pm by johnrt »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2014, 12:57:56 pm »
Just because *I* like the white better doesn't mean you cant use the black anyway.  I think the black looks fine, but the white looks better. Cant really go wrong either way.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »
I kinda like Yamatetsu's idea of a black pinstripe inside the white border.

johnrt

« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2014, 01:01:21 pm »
Just because *I* like the white better doesn't mean you cant use the black anyway.  I think the black looks fine, but the white looks better. Cant really go wrong either way.
I know. I regret that I even tried the white border, because now I can't really decide myself.  :hissy: :hissy: :banghead: :banghead:

johnrt

« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2014, 01:02:58 pm »
I kinda like Yamatetsu's idea of a black pinstripe inside the white border.
I'm gonna try make that pinstripe with a black marker. I'll be back...

Edit: It does add a final touch to the white border.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:11:43 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2014, 02:37:36 pm »
CP:

With buttons and wheel:

It'll be roughly something like this:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:51:29 pm by johnrt »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »
Love the symmetry of the CPO. The fact that it's based around the steering wheel, it looks sweet that the road brings the focus to it.

My one issue may be the generic mame badges on the bottom. I get the symmetry thing, but maybe go with SEGA log on bottom left to offset the mame in the upper corner, or move that one down to the bottom right and have a blue sega, then the blue mame. Or maybe some round gauges or something could look cool.

Nice build, cant' wait to see the artwork finished and installed.

EDIT *** after seeing your last added image, the angle on the bottom is so extreme that you probably won't even see it much. I'd still get rid of the mame badges  :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »
Love the symmetry of the CPO. The fact that it's based around the steering wheel, it looks sweet that the road brings the focus to it.

My one issue may be the generic mame badges on the bottom. I get the symmetry thing, but maybe go with SEGA log on bottom left to offset the mame in the upper corner, or move that one down to the bottom right and have a blue sega, then the blue mame. Or maybe some round gauges or something could look cool.

Nice build, cant' wait to see the artwork finished and installed.

EDIT *** after seeing your last added image, the angle on the bottom is so extreme that you probably won't even see it much. I'd still get rid of the mame badges  :applaud:
I agree: The MAME badges is too much. I'll find something else.
Edit: You can't see much of that anyway, so I just delete the badges and leave it with that:

And here the colors and gradients matches the side art:

Added some Sega badges instead, and reversed the tarmac gradient:

Added birds, and swapped the MAME logo with the OutRun logo:

Added clouds:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:21:46 pm by johnrt »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2014, 03:05:13 pm »
Much better!!!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2014, 10:12:41 pm »
logo around the wheel is a nice touch. The other ourun logos and the mame logo are eyesores.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2014, 11:26:05 pm »
agreed. I like replacing the mame log with out run, but the extras on the bottom, while a cool design, are just out of place.

johnrt

« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2014, 02:55:00 am »
agreed. I like replacing the mame log with out run, but the extras on the bottom, while a cool design, are just out of place.
That's becase you don't see the bottom part as separate from the top part. And as mentioned before, you can hardly see them. The MAME logo is replaced with a SEGA logo.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #240 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:33 am »
Another 2 cents : You have 1 Outrun logo on the left side of the cab, 1 on the right side, 1 on the marquee. Is it really necessary to put four of them on the CP ? The base of the wheel is ok, that looks like it belongs there. The other three just look tacked on, especially the bottom ones, even if they will be only barely visible.

Also, in your last edit you centered everything that's going on in the background, where at least the birds are going to be blocked out by the wheel. Plus the massive clouds look like you are heading into a stampede  :)
I would move the birds back to the left, ditch the clouds in the middle and put some smaller floating clouds into the right corner.

But most importantly, ditch the logos. I get that you like them, but they really look out of place.

johnrt

« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2014, 12:05:50 pm »
Hmmm.... I have tested this CP artwork on the cab, and I'm happy with it. The logos in the lower area stays! And the OutRun logo under the wheel looks really good in real life. When I sit in front and the wheel is attached I see the whole outrun logo between the wheel spokes and also the two red arrows is perfectly placed.

I'm happy with it.  8)

It's time to order the damn thing!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:08:21 pm by johnrt »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:15 pm »
Do it already ! Finish it ! Time for the next one  ;D

johnrt

« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »
Before order it, I would center the yellow stickers ;)
They are a little off ... just turn it a little so they will be perfect .... that's the only thing I find disturbing  :laugh2:

Good Luck John  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2014, 04:06:09 pm »
Before order it, I would center the yellow stickers ;)
They are a little off ... just turn it a little so they will be perfect .... that's the only thing I find disturbing  :laugh2:

Good Luck John  :cheers:
Thanks! I didn't realized that 'till now. It's fixed!  :applaud:

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2014, 07:00:12 pm »
where do I get some LED strip like that?  can I power it with usb cable?

johnrt

« Reply #247 on: November 21, 2014, 11:07:10 am »
If you're thinking about the LCD marquee, it's this one:
http://www.clasohlson.com/no/LED-lyslist-12-V/Pr365066000
(It's in norwegian)
It's powered by the PSU (12V).

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2014, 12:03:00 pm »

I've got LED strips that you can connect via a 12V DC power supply, if you're interested.

johnrt

« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2014, 01:12:52 pm »
Final artwork is uploaded to:
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/photoshop/final/
(500 MB, photoshop format)

The 4-way sequential View-button circuit and PCB:
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/electronics/
(Use software from fritzing.org to view the PCB)
PCB can be ordered by uploading the .fzz file to fritzing.org.

Feel free to use it as you wish!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:32:41 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2014, 03:38:17 pm »
Ladies: The artwork is ORDERED!!! In a week or two this thing is 100% finished. :cheers:

And: I have also ordered parts for my next project!  ;)

johnrt

« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »
It's time to stow away my templates for this cab. I screwed the pieces together and probably gonna put it in the attic.

And I have a question. Although the side panels is to be all covered with the side art, should they be painted anyway? Now they're just primed.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: November 25, 2014, 04:47:00 pm »
A prime is gonna be fine, but I'd run a light sanding across it so the side art has a smooth surface to adhere to.

johnrt

« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2014, 04:13:29 pm »
Some beer and gaming while waiting for the artwork to arrive:  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #254 on: December 07, 2014, 09:50:35 am »
While waiting for the artwork to arrive I made this sneak ehh... "preview":
http://captiongenerator.com/26985/Hitler-rants-about-johnrts-bartop-and-HyperSpin
 :lol

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:09 pm »
http://captiongenerator.com/26985/Hitler-rants-about-johnrts-bartop-and-HyperSpin

Oh my god.  That was one of the best laughs I've had in a while!  Super awesome job!

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »
OMG, I made the mistake of watching this at work and now my co-workers think i'm a lunatic for laughing for three minutes straight. nice.

johnrt

« Reply #257 on: December 10, 2014, 03:37:09 pm »
Hope you have enjoyed the video in the link above :-)

My damn artwork hasn't arrived to Norway yet. Probably stuck somewhere in the christmas mail. Well, hopefully it arrives before christmas.

Meanwhile I have painted the side panels with the ugly ash gray color I initially bought for this cab. It doesn't matter what color the side panels are since they will be covered with art anyway. The side panels are now very smooth and ready for the artwork!

I've had a coupple of PM's regarding copying this project. All I can say: Go ahead! I would love to see another one of this.

Additionaly I have remade the View-button circuit. The circuit now has an integrated test-button, power-LED and LED's for all the 4 outputs. And I have added a diode in the powersupply line. Now it doesn't matter if you connect the power-supply wrong, you won't accidently burn the circuit board. And at last I have added component values and names on the circuit board itself. It has also shrunk in size even though there are more components on it. It's now 52 x 90 mm (the old one was 60 x 100). I will order one or two updated PCB(s) myself. If one of you want a copy of the updated PCB file you'll find it here:
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/electronics/4way_sequential_view_with_LEDS.zip

johnrt

« Reply #258 on: December 18, 2014, 05:09:59 pm »
Bad news!  :censored:

My artwork seems to be lost in the mail. I've been contacting both norwegian and US postal services without receiving any decent answer... There will be no artwork for me this year. Maybe I'll have to reorder the whole thing.  :angry: :angry:  I just have to wait a couple of weeks to see what happpens.

In the meantime I'm playing this cab every day. Damn, it's fun to play with!  :lol

Here's my  top score on PP TEST:

johnrt

« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2014, 06:23:06 am »
Look what I got in the mail today! Thank you Santa!  :applaud: :cheers: :lol
(it's a tubular package from GoG)

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2014, 07:14:36 am »
Wow, excellent timing! :cheers:

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2014, 11:14:41 am »
You got the art, now Git'r'dun!

johnrt

« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2014, 04:57:25 pm »
It's DONE!  :cheers:

Video is coming soon!

A LOT of more pictures here:
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/pics/

johnrt

Re: Driver Bartop - Sega Outrun Style - DONE!
« Reply #263 on: December 23, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »
A video. Better video to come when I have proper lighting.

johnrt

« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2014, 06:14:57 pm »
And here's the little guy together with his mother:  :lol

Between these two pictures there's 6 months time difference:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:26:30 pm by johnrt »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2014, 07:12:02 pm »
It's so sweet! :cheers:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #266 on: December 23, 2014, 07:13:26 pm »

I laughed so hard watching that, it was excellent!  :laugh:

Between these two pictures there's 6 months time difference:

Oh sure, six months and corrugated cardboard just magically turns into wood.!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:01 pm »
just in time to win errrrr get nominated for a UAC  :applaud:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #268 on: December 24, 2014, 06:38:51 am »
Very nice bartop John  :applaud:

Is building a second driving bartop not to fast to keep it interesting for you?

I got the same when I finished my first yellow MameCade, I build a second Mamecade 2.0 .
But it was not a trill because I did knew how the end result would be.... but only some bigger parts...
After that, I told myself, I only make one and after that it's time for a new challenge  :cheers:

But you did give me some new ideas for a new challenge  :dizzy: >:D 

johnrt

« Reply #269 on: December 24, 2014, 09:20:28 am »
Very nice bartop John  :applaud:

Is building a second driving bartop not to fast to keep it interesting for you?

I got the same when I finished my first yellow MameCade, I build a second Mamecade 2.0 .
But it was not a trill because I did knew how the end result would be.... but only some bigger parts...
After that, I told myself, I only make one and after that it's time for a new challenge  :cheers:

But you did give me some new ideas for a new challenge  :dizzy: >:D
Thanks!

Well, I already have the materials, most of the electronics and I think thhe PP-bartop is an interesting one. And without the curves it also should be much easier to make.

Can't wait to see your new ideas! :-) Merry Christmas!  :cheers:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »
That thing is very cool.  Excellent work.  Oh and your woodwork is sweet!

AJ

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »
Congrats on the artwork. I often choose a borderless design so I have a little more forgiveness when installing it. Very good job putting yours on.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #272 on: December 24, 2014, 03:06:40 pm »
That turned out great.  Well done.   :applaud:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2014, 03:28:18 pm »
Turned out beautifully! Congrats!  :applaud: :cheers:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #274 on: December 26, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »
Looks awesome, that artwork really pops and nice work getting it centered with that black border. like leapinlew said, that's not easy to do.

johnrt

« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »
Will a cab ever be finished?  :lol

I had to construct a Pulse-width-modulation LED-strip dimmer as the marquee turned out a little too bright. With this circuit the LED-strip's brightness can be adjusted between 5 and 95 percent. It shouldn't matter what kind of LED-strip you're using, as long as it's single colored. This circuit is tested on a 12V LED-strip. Transistor BD438 must have a heat sink.
And yes, I stole some circuits from the Internet. But the PCB layout is constructed by me.

Here's the circuit and PCB layout:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:47:01 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2014, 07:34:57 pm »

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:40:07 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2015, 05:06:55 am »

Just been googling for something for my next project. Which is nothing like this, but the pic caught my eye. Excellent work, and well paced too. There's so much going on there it would be easy to get bogged down.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2018, 08:45:48 am
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2015, 08:57:23 am »
That looks fantastic, especially next to his big brother. Excellent work!

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2015, 12:39:18 pm »
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
:applaud:    Schweet ! This came out really cool.   :applaud:
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2015, 07:35:39 am »
I see my view-circuit is being nominated in the Hardware category. I just had that pencil drawing of the circuit, so I have now made it digitally. Here's my electronic circuits made for this cab:

3/4-way sequential arcade view-button [Schematic]

3/4-way sequential arcade view-button [Printed Circuit Board]
(Real size is 90.2mm x 52.2mm)

3/4-way sequential arcade view-button [Printed Circuit Board]

3/4-way sequential arcade view-button [Finished product]

3/4-way sequential arcade view-button [Fritzing project file]
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/electronics/4way_sequential_view_with_LEDS.zip

Pulse Width Modulated dimmer for LED-marquees [Schematic]

Pulse Width Modulated dimmer for LED-marquees [Printed Circuit Board]
(Real size is 50.8mm x 30.6mm)

Pulse Width Modulated dimmer for LED-marquees [Printed Circuit Board]

Pulse Width Modulated dimmer for LED-marquees [Finished product]

Pulse Width Modulated dimmer for LED-marquees [Fritzing project file]
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/electronics/LED_dimmer.zip
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:21:00 pm by johnrt »

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2015, 07:44:22 am »
Great Cab Johnrt!!

You probably aware of this but have your checked out CannonBall: The Enhanced OutRun Engine....

http://reassembler.blogspot.co.uk/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html

60 fps gameplay (smoother than the original game)
True widescreen mode (extend the play area by 25%)
High Resolution mode (improves sprite scaling)
New Camera Views
Time Trial Mode (Beat your time on a chosen level)
Continuous Mode (Play all 15 stages sequentially)
Western, Japanese & Prototype Track Support
Support for Custom Tracks from LayOut
Customisable Music
Toggle Fixed Audio ROM
High Score Saving
Analog and Digital Controllers Supported
Force Feedback / Haptic Support (Windows Only)
Automatic gear change
Cheats (No Traffic, Infinite Time)
Optional Attract Mode AI Improvements

johnrt

« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2015, 07:52:04 am »
Great Cab Johnrt!!

You probably aware of this but have your checked out CannonBall: The Enhanced OutRun Engine....

http://reassembler.blogspot.co.uk/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html
Yes, I'm well aware of that project!   8)

boytech.arcadec

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2016, 02:46:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2015, 02:36:30 pm »
you rules!  :burgerking:

great job

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2017, 02:02:50 pm »
Pic links are dead.  Any chance up updating them?  Thanks!

DeL

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2017, 03:39:06 pm »
Pic links are dead.  Any chance up updating them?  Thanks!

DeL

Not likely considering he nuked his account IIRC

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2017, 03:41:43 pm »
Hmm. I thought he came back.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2017, 03:57:01 pm »
Emotional roller coaster, this one.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2017, 03:57:56 pm »
Been gone sice that thing with Melenko

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2017, 05:04:57 pm »
You mean Milenko?

It was more like that thing with ChanceJK he just directed his ire at me.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2017, 05:35:51 pm »
You mean Milenko?

It was more like that thing with ChanceJK he just directed his ire at me.
No i meant Malenko. Sorry fool cant spell it until i see it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2017, 09:12:24 pm »
He totally rage quit BYOAC. This machine has probably been beat to a pulp when he didn't make the checkpoint.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2017, 07:49:01 am »

Ha, all good. I was making fun of the way everyone else spells it wrong.

Hope the machine didnt get beat or set on fire, it honestly was the best racing bartop ever made.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2017, 08:01:37 am »

Hope the machine didnt get beat or set on fire, it honestly was the best racing bartop ever made.
Too bad i cant remember what it looks like.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2017, 08:08:22 am »

Too bad i cant remember what it looks like.

Like someone cut the original cabinet in half and added buttons to replace the pedals

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2017, 08:42:16 am »
Found this in the completed project thread:

DeL

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2017, 09:00:18 am »
That does look pretty rad

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2017, 09:08:16 am »
He also posted a small vid on page 7.

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:20:21 am
  • Load "1980"
    • retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2017, 10:53:00 am »
Shame, i was a big fan of this build.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm on my last life, best not try anything stupid

-> Check out my other projects at http://retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2017, 11:02:35 am »
He totally rage quit BYOAC. This machine has probably been beat to a pulp when he didn't make the checkpoint.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Make It So!
« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2017, 11:56:10 am »
Wait, what....what happened???

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #301 on: February 28, 2017, 12:15:13 pm »
Johnrt liked to drink and post, unfortunately.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: February 28, 2017, 12:54:39 pm »

So do I!!!!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2017, 01:02:21 pm »

So do I!!!!
I'm sure yours will be the mother of all rage-quits.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »

Like this?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: February 28, 2017, 03:03:01 pm »
I've never been close to leaving this place but I do think we should bring back rep.  This place has been straight up dull since we lost rep. 

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »
I dont care about rep, its the drama that keeps me away. I still read posts but dont chime in like I used to.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:24 pm »
this is  his channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmUsyIwSZ1APNMfWJtwICjQ

attached are a few pix I found

the folder for pole position isnt deleted (yet?)
http://www.379009.net/poleposition/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:56:59 pm by Malenko »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: March 01, 2017, 05:31:32 pm »
I really don't think there's as much drama as people seem to think there is. There's a blow up every so often, but those are actually pretty good to have. It keeps things interesting. I hate to say it, but this place has become Dullsville. If it wasn't for the ZapCon thread, I'd probably be on an extended vacation from here.

I guess I just don't understand  why any perceived drama would prevent people from posting.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: March 01, 2017, 08:16:33 pm »
I really don't think there's as much drama as people seem to think there is. There's a blow up every so often, but those are actually pretty good to have. It keeps things interesting. I hate to say it, but this place has become Dullsville. If it wasn't for the ZapCon thread, I'd probably be on an extended vacation from here.

I guess I just don't understand  why any perceived drama would prevent people from posting.

---fudgesicle--- you ya ---smurfing--- ---fudgesicle---

don't leave.  then I'll leave.  then we'll both have leaved. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: March 01, 2017, 08:17:41 pm »

---fudgesicle--- you ya ---smurfing--- ---fudgesicle---

don't leave.  then I'll leave.  then we'll both have leaved.
Come to ZapCon and we'll Thelma and Louise that ---maternal-smurf---!