Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Driver Bartop - Sega Outrun Style - DONE!  (Read 58663 times)

johnrt

• Trade Count: (0)
Driver Bartop - Sega Outrun Style - DONE!
« on: June 25, 2014, 05:03:40 pm »
Hi there! I've always wanted a drivers cab, but I don't have room for a fullsize cab, so a bartop it is. I do possess a spinner with wheel (TurboTwist 2 with a 5" wheel). This is my idea for a driver bartop based on the top curves of the Sega Outrun cabinet. Plan is to use a foot pedal along with this. I also need to make a gear shifter. I have made a cardboard model, and today I made the side panels. Pictures show the progress so far. I'll continue update this thread as I'm progressing.

And more pictures and all other documents will be available on this site (plans, pics, videos, artwork and so on)
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/

Btw: This is my 4th cab.

Cardboard model:

Control panel:

A template I made from some cheap chipboard:

Using the template I routed the side panels:

I also want the back panel to be curved, so I made a template for a curved batten. The battens will be made out of 18 mm plywood.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:14:02 pm by johnrt »

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
Re: Driver Bartop - Sega Outrun Style
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »
Looking good!  :applaud:

You mentioned a foot pedal. I assume that is going to be a "free floating" pedal or are you planning to put something you work by hand? Just trying to understand your vision for that.  ;D

johnrt

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 05:12:30 pm »
Looking good!  :applaud:

You mentioned a foot pedal. I assume that is going to be a "free floating" pedal or are you planning to put something you work by hand? Just trying to understand your vision for that.  ;D
Well, a free floating device it has to be. But when I come to think of it I may also add a couple of buttons on the CP since I also can play any other game that requires a spinner.
This is one option:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Nonslip-Plastic-Treadle-Foot-Pedal-Switch-AC-220V-/190837283705?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c6ec9db79

But I may also make my own. I don't know yet. :-)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »
I like it!  The curves will be nice, looking forward to seeing it come together.

johnrt

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
I also considered the Pole Position style. But I found the OutRun shape nicer.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:21:31 pm »
Bonus points if you make the rear access a roll top!

johnrt

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »
I do need SOME straight lines back there, so this is how I plan to make room for power socket, USB, and pedal socket.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:46 am »
Not sure if the player buttons are just placeholders, but I can think of no 2 player, alternating player driving games.
So...no point in having the player 2 button.

To get the most out of it:
Coin
Start
4 view buttons

Optional:
A radio button, but the games that had a radio button only had 3 view buttons.

I also like having a dedicated exit button on my machines.

You can get away with using a return-to-center up/down shifter if you use the H2seq shifter app found here:
http://www.racermame.altervista.org/
I like 4 speeds, but the up/dn would take up less space and work better with the paddle shifter games like Virtua Racing.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:55:27 am by BadMouth »

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
Love the curves. As soon as I saw the cardboard mock-up I thought, "Yup ... Out Run."

Did you cut the curves for the template using a jigsaw and then clean it up, or did you use some kind of arc apparatus on your router to form them? Looks really clean.

johnrt

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »
BadMouth: Thanks for the input. I really didn't know about that 2-player issue. :-P Btw: For the rest of the CP, I'm very open for suggestions and layout.

roknrol: I cut the template with a jigsaw and then did the rest by hand. No apparatus involved. The template did turn out very nice though, so I'm saving it.

So today I made the curved battens from the template I made yesterday. And again, the two battens are identical. The router is a fantastic tool.

They fit nice. But they're also quite flexible in case I need to adjust a mm or two:

And in a hardware shop I found hinges for my control panel. These have a self locking mechanism, and made to be mounted on the inside of the cab.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19:40 pm »
Very nice and fresh project  :cheers:

Looking forward how this will come to a end  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:37 pm »
love it. I have a 4 speed shifter you can have for the cost of shipping if you're in the US.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

johnrt

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:25 am »
SuperFrog: You're my hero. I love your work! Your Popeye bartop inspired me to build a similar one, only Fix it Felix themed. Here's my version of that cab:
I also have plans, pics, videos and artwork of that bartop on my site: http://www.379009.net/nintendo-bartop/

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 06:08:27 am »
 :notworthy: Thanks Johnrt  :notworthy:

This is a very well build popeye clone  :cheers: :laugh2:

You did a great job here  :cheers:
It was a good choice to build it by yourself and not going for a cnc bundle  :dizzy:
I see some cnc bartops, and they don't have the looks and detail..

And a very nice paintjob  :applaud:

Good Job :applaud:

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 08:22:37 am »
This is a very well build popeye clone . You did a great job here  :cheers:

Agreed. This looks very, very nice!

It was a good choice to build it by yourself and not going for a cnc bundle  :dizzy: I see some cnc bartops, and they don't have the looks and detail...

I'd be interested to see what you mean - not to Bogart the thread or anything, but this seems rather inflammatory. Now, I don't frequent many other sites, but the majority of the CNC kits I've seen (Haruman's and my own, for example) try to put a lot of thought into them. Are there CNC kits for the Nintendo clones that are 'less than perfect'?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 09:51:13 am »
Ace design! Suits a bar top style really well.

One thing - i have a tt spinner on my cab (in progress) and always struggled playing outrun type 270 degree games as there is no centering. Super sprint etc work great tho.

Are you gonna use an lcd or CRT in there? Looks like you have room for either.

Sub'd

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 10:12:29 am »
One thing - i have a tt spinner on my cab (in progress) and always struggled playing outrun type 270 degree games as there is no centering. Super sprint etc work great tho.

See the wheel section in the driving cab info thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,105961.0.html

johnrt

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 10:31:40 am »
markc74: I have a 15" LCD which will be used in this. Allthough it would have been nice with a CRT, the small CRT's are hard to find here in Norway. And the cab also need to be a little bigger to fit a decent CRT. But I hope someone wants to make this with a CRT in the future.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »
I'd be interested to see what you mean - not to Bogart the thread or anything, but this seems rather inflammatory. Now, I don't frequent many other sites, but the majority of the CNC kits I've seen (Haruman's and my own, for example) try to put a lot of thought into them. Are there CNC kits for the Nintendo clones that are 'less than perfect'?

:angel: Ow, it's just my opinion about some cnc kits, it's close but not that  ;)
I'm not saying that my version is close, but after I finished my Popeye bartop, the cnc kits came out very quickly, so I looked at all the different details, because I had worked on it for a long time to got it right,  that's a bad habit, but nothing special  :cheers:

Nothing against cnc kits  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 03:04:30 pm »
Today I made the bottom panels. They still need some fine sanding, so I just taped them together for the mock-up.

Bottom and CP area:

CP area:

Obviously the CP is way too big. I haven't decided how deep I want it yet. More mock-ups needed:

The back:

And I made room for a PC power supply:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 03:08:09 pm »
very nice start  :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 03:11:27 pm »
I'm happy so far. I don't have an electric saw except for my jigsaw (which are useless for making panels), so I use a good old fashion hand saw (with fine teeth):   8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:13:15 pm by johnrt »

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 03:19:44 pm »
:angel: Ow, it's just my opinion about some cnc kits, it's close but not that  ;)
I'm not saying that my version is close, but after I finished my Popeye bartop, the cnc kits came out very quickly, so I looked at all the different details, because I had worked on it for a long time to got it right,  that's a bad habit, but nothing special  :cheers:Nothing against cnc kits  :cheers:

Ok - apology accepted. (And for the record, the measurements on MY kit are EXTREMELY close to the original - down to the LxW ratio on the marquee...)

:D

johnrt

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »
I made the battens for lower panels tonight.

And now I need some help or inputs. I need to decide how the buttons on the CP is to be arranged, and how many. Any idea is very appreciated.  ;)

Regarding the 2-player button: Since the wheel is also a spinner, there are many more games but just the driving ones that can be played on this. Maybe I keep that 2-player button after all.

johnrt

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »
Damn this CP is giving me a headache. I need your opinion on this. On this pic I have 1 and 2-player buttons. (I know, the driving games are all(?) 1-player games, but I intend to use this cab for spinner games also, like arkanoid). The next two buttons are gas and brake (I can't depend only on the pedals), then gearshift and turbo/optional. The rightmost buttons are for... something else, MAME control maybe. On the bezel I have 4 view-buttons for games like Virtua Racing. Underneath I have 2 (or more) MAME control buttons.

So: Is it just me, or is this CP a little overcrowded?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 06:09:53 pm »
Lose the 2 buttons to the left of the spinner,  I don't think you will need them.  Also the buttons look spaced quite far apart which wouldn't be overly comfortable for any kind of lengthy play sessions.  I would set them out closer and possibly in a snes button layout. I like the view/admin buttons on the bezel area though.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:04:06 am »
The buttons evenly spaced and distributed is confusing.

I'd group them by purpose and maybe use different style buttons that fit their purpose.
I like the smaller view buttons across the top.

Maybe use triangular buttons for shift up and down if that's what the buttons on the right are for.
The gas and brake should probably be next to the shift buttons so you can use the same hand for both.
You could put them side by side like pedals to keep everything from forming a square with the shift buttons.
Maybe use green and red buttons to make their purpose clear.

What are you doing for coin and exit (ESC)?
Maybe get a rectangular button for the coin input and make a label for it that resembles a coin slot.
The square and rectangular buttons usually pop apart so you can insert labels (they were usually used on gambling machines).
The button you use to exit games should be away from all the others and it's function made obvious.
I guess you could do a combination for exit, but it can get complicated with other emulators and PC games.

Labels on the CP art might help if you plan on sticking with regular arcade buttons.

Here is my old CP with homemade paper inserts in the buttons.  More recently I've been using clear inkjet labels.

The big thing is knowing exactly what games you want to play and what you need to play them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:13:08 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 09:25:13 am »
maybe something like this?
Credit and exit buttons on the underside?
Might look better with the two orange buttons on the left moved horizontally also.

Just throwing ideas out there.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:28:11 am by BadMouth »

johnrt

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »
Thanks for the inputs guys! I really appreciate it! And ANY idea is better than nothing. Probably I wind up with something in between.

My original plan was to use some of the many standard arcade buttons I have lying around, but you may have convinced me to reconsider that plan. Anyway: I myself was not happy with that CP layout of mine. But fortunately it's just cardboard. :-) I'm not sure though about mixing various buttons on this tiny CP, it may wind up too ugly. I do possess those red coinbuttons, but do they look good on such a small CP? I don't know... yet.

I may also reconsider the amount of games I will run on this just to keep it as simple as possible. So maybe it's time to play the driving games I can find for MAME and make up my mind. :-)

Again: Thank you very much for ideas and inputs. I would be lost without them! :-)

johnrt

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:22:41 pm »
Playing with cardboard. :-P
How about this? Pretty clean isn't it?

Oh. I also did some assembly today. :-)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:28:16 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 01:20:26 pm »
Progress is slow. But during this weekend I've managed to make most of the CP assembly along with other minor things.

This is the back with a standard PC PSU:

Some wooden bricks to support the hinges. The hinges are quite big, so I want them as far out to the sides as possible:

CP in open position:

CP in closed position:

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »
what is your plan to keep the cp panel closed? 

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »
Great progress  :cheers:

I want to see more  :hissy: :dizzy: :applaud:

johnrt

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »
Generic Eric: It does keeps itself closed with the self-closing hinges, but I will also add a magnetic lock on both sides. That's ought to be good enough for my use. If it isn't, I can always add a locking mechanism inside the cab at a later moment.

Superfrog: Thanks, but the progress is slow. :-P

johnrt

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »
I was never happy with the CP hinges mount, so it's back to the drawing board again. But today I made some progress on other areas:

I finished up the bottom base. This I'm satisfied with, keep in mind that it's made with a hand saw :-)

Sorry 'bout the blurry picture.

I also made the bottom marquee panel. Obviously it's not going to be that deep, but I don't know the exact depth yet.

These are the speakers I'm planning to use on this cab. Nice fullrange speakers btw.

And the speaker grills:

And here's a LED strip for the marquee. It's length is quite perfect. :-)

johnrt

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:20 pm »
It was really too hot outside to do anything today, but I managed to start on the monitor panel.

Monitor panel, back side.

Front side. It needs to be cut down to the right size though.

johnrt

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 12:45:58 pm »
The monitor bezel sure gave me a hard time, but I finally nailed it. I found some wood strips that were cut 45 degrees:

From these I made a frame:

Testfit with monitor inside:

Sanding and filling:

Testfitting inside cab. I have applied one coat of primer. Next is more filling and sanding. I think it looks good. :-)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:55:05 pm by johnrt »

johnrt

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 01:01:14 pm »
And today I mounted my Hello Kitty Toot on my bicycle. There were som giggling among other people when I rode it on a trip earlier today.  :lol

johnrt

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:33 pm »
As much as I suck in artwork I have nevertheless come up with an idea for the CP. Remember: this is version 0.001 alpha, so be gentle!  :lol
If anyone want to play with that artwork, I have uploaded the photoshop file here:
http://www.379009.net/driver-bartop/photoshop/

This is version 1.1:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:08:20 pm by johnrt »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
just spit ballin ideas here, but I'd move P2 start to be either next to or under P1 start. take the wheel off the center and move it to the left more. green gas button, red brake, and add a 2 way shifter?

added a terrible mock up incase my description sucks.Figured the admin buttons at the bottom can go on the front panel instead of the CP.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.