Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about creating custom MAME collections/lists in MA  (Read 3453 times)

MeanMachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 11:50:14 am
  • An arcade build is never done...
Hi gang,

I've had Maximus Arcade for awhile but can't seem to get it to do exactly what I want it to do. :dunno I've watched the LumberJackass videos and searched here through the forum.

My question is this: What's the easiest way to setup multiple MAME collections/lists on the top tier of MA with the other emulators?

I originally wanted to use my custom ini folders of roms but MA doesn't seem to have an option to include ini files. Now I'm thinking the easiest option may just be setting up/creating multiple MAME folders and only putting my specific collections in different rom folders.  ??? Confused?

What I'm trying to do is have a collection of Shooters, a collection of Fighters, a collection of Old Skool games, etc. all available as soon as MA starts up without having to go to MAME and then use the drop down list. So basically each would take the place of one of my unused emulators.

I think the LumberJackass basically did the same thing but with multiple MAME versions with his setup as found in this topic: https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=104617.0

Anyway, I've tried multiple options but MA just doesn't want to cooperate. I tried putting my collections in the main ROM folder and then into specific folders like ROMS - Shooters, ROMS - Fighters, ROMS - Beat em Ups, etc. But once I configured the emulator and pointed it to the right folder sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.  :banghead:

So long story short, unless you all have an easier way to do it my next option is to go with multiple MAME folders and put my specific rom collections in each one and then hijack one of my unused emulators.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Question about creating custom MAME collections/lists in MA
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:23:22 pm »
What if you took your mame folder with your mame emu and roms and made a few copies of it.
It would mean doubling,  tripling, or quadrupling the size but it wold work.

MeanMachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 11:50:14 am
  • An arcade build is never done...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 03:55:12 am »
What if you took your mame folder with your mame emu and roms and made a few copies of it.
It would mean doubling,  tripling, or quadrupling the size but it wold work.

Yup, that's what I was trying to say but you summed it up quite well. Thanks for the confirmation though.  :cheers: Now to just give it a shot and see if it works for me.

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:13:20 am »
There is an option to to set up favorites in the setup. I just made a favorite folder for every genre that I wanted and made a keystroke to switch between different favorites. Works well for me without having to screw with moving folders

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:02:45 am »
There is an option to to set up favorites in the setup. I just made a favorite folder for every genre that I wanted and made a keystroke to switch between different favorites. Works well for me without having to screw with moving folders
Thats what I did as well.  But I do like the approach to have the genres in the emu select screen.