Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can you use a dvd and dvd drive to upgrade a MAXX?  (Read 3016 times)

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:11:25 pm
Can you use a dvd and dvd drive to upgrade a MAXX?
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:05:04 pm »
Trying to install Jade software from  iso images by burning them to DVD's. No CD's or CDROM drive here. Only got DVD's and DVD drive. It boots but i keep getting "CDROM error!" right before it would normally get to the graphic screen. Anyone ever attempt to do a install, or reinstall using a DVD/DVD drive? I burned 3 dvd's and tried two dvd drives with the same error so its definitely not a bad burn or bad drive.

Never had this problem with force or ion.

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
Re: Can you use a dvd and dvd drive to upgrade a MAXX?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »
I just reinstalled RUBY 2 the other day using a DVD drive...works fine... but I used the original CD's.

Maybe your problem isn't the drive but the DVD format versus the CD format.

Do you have the drive set to MASTER and not SLAVE?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:03:07 am by smartbomb2084 »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:35:47 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 03:00:46 pm »
No action should need be taken. if i recall, some burning programs don't deal well with the protocol required to boot a dvd vs a cd and choose to push through the cd boot protocol onto the dvd and it doesn't boot. usually the software detects and fixes it...but  :dunno

My experience is limited to images providing bootable operating systems and media (movies, music) however, so it may be that this will not always be successful...milage may vary....no guarantees implied.

make sure the cd/dvd drive is properly configured and detected in the bios.

TL;DR: try another image burning program or find some cd's.

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:11:25 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:07:22 pm »
It was an issue with the motherboard i used had only one IDE connector. The software for some reason did not like this. I need to get my hands on an official MAXX mobo. I have like 10 cabs here but there all XL Mobo's. Also, Maxx, Jade and 2005/.5 force software does not like 3m exii usb controllers. Seems this old software is more of a headache to hack then the newer software.