Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dynamic list of games ?  (Read 2292 times)

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
Dynamic list of games ?
« on: June 24, 2014, 05:45:43 am »

I used ROMlister to create a list of 4way games (about 4000), and saved it as a MaLa gamelist.
Then in Mala configuration I checked 'Only collect games with ROM found in ROM folders'.

I was expecting my menu to show me just the 20 or so ROMs I have in my ROM folder, but it still shows all 4000 odd.

Am I missing something?  Like what collection is/does ?
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
Re: Dynamic list of games ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:51:44 pm »

I used ROMlister to create a list of 4way games (about 4000), and saved it as a MaLa gamelist.
Then in Mala configuration I checked 'Only collect games with ROM found in ROM folders'.

I was expecting my menu to show me just the 20 or so ROMs I have in my ROM folder, but it still shows all 4000 odd.

Am I missing something?  Like what collection is/does ?

The "Only collect games with rom found in rom folder" is an option for when MALA builds your all games list.
It has no effect on other lists, let alone a list made by another program.

You'll also have to refresh the main gamelist after changing the option.
Of course, that will undo anything you did in romlister.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:53:48 pm by BadMouth »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:28 pm »
You need to have romlister bounce its query against what's in your rom folder.  I can't recall if romlister ever got the patch for .7z or not but if not you can just do a batch rename and then back after you're done with romlister.  Then in MALA editor you can tweak the lists.  I find that works out pretty well.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »
The "Only collect games with rom found in rom folder" is an option for when MALA builds your all games list.
It has no effect on other lists, let alone a list made by another program.

You'll also have to refresh the main gamelist after changing the option.
Of course, that will undo anything you did in romlister.

Thanks.

So it almost has the functionality I want.
I'd better put in a feature request. Something like this:

Option to only list games found in the ROM folder.
When checked, Mala will build and work from a second file for each gamelist it finds on the MaLaTree.

You need to have romlister bounce its query against what's in your rom folder.  I can't recall if romlister ever got the patch for .7z or not but if not you can just do a batch rename and then back after you're done with romlister.  Then in MALA editor you can tweak the lists.  I find that works out pretty well.

thanks, I hadn't spotted that option.

Rom lister is a better solution than I had before.  Can ROMlister be run via a batch command ? eg so I could run it with 4 diiferent searches to create 4 different gamelist when I change my ROMs ?

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:01:09 am »
I pointed that to you here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,139753.msg1447125.html#msg1447125

Rom lister is a better solution than I had before.  Can ROMlister be run via a batch command ? eg so I could run it with 4 diiferent searches to create 4 different gamelist when I change my ROMs ?
RL used to be a command line program only that could be batched, but people then complained it was too difficult to use so I built the GUI around it. heh.
Your best bet is after making each search just copy-n-paste the stuff in the -find: window to a text document.  then when you change your roms (how often do you expect to do such a thing?  I went over 6 years on my last upgrade) you can drop those -find: searches into the box and just hit go.  Not perfect, but no tool ever is for every user.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:04:38 am »
I pointed that to you here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,139753.msg1447125.html#msg1447125

RL used to be a command line program only that could be batched, but people then complained it was too difficult to use so I built the GUI around it. heh.
Your best bet is after making each search just copy-n-paste the stuff in the -find: window to a text document.  then when you change your roms (how often do you expect to do such a thing?  I went over 6 years on my last upgrade) you can drop those -find: searches into the box and just hit go.  Not perfect, but no tool ever is for every user.

Maybe he just thanked the guy that posted it first.  ;)

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 05:38:34 am »

Thanks NOP.  I would have thanked you you too but I haven't been back to the software forum.