Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bike cabinet or desk idea  (Read 4624 times)

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Bike cabinet or desk idea
« on: June 20, 2014, 02:53:25 pm »
Hi,  I want to build a bike cabinet or desk where I can interact with games and lose some pounds (yep I gained again) in the process.  Other than buying a cockpit cab or Stun Runner and adding the cycle parts inside, I thought it would be simpler to weld a stationary bike to a desk or chair.  Also I would want to interact with some games like propcycle or driving games based on the speed of rotation of the pedals.

Something like this:

Any ideas?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Re: Bike cabinet or desk idea
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:22:55 pm »
I'd like to see us come up with something good enough to set the standard on doing this.
It could even be applied to a treadmill...or maybe we could make the joystick input control treadmill speed.  :D

The first order of business is probably translating pedal movement into analog joystick input.
I'm curious as to how the Fisher Price Smart Cycle does it.

For someone good with arduino or such, they could probably just translate pulses from a magnetic sensor.
You can get cheap speedo's for bicycles that work this way.

If you have an input device that works off voltage instead of resistance, a more direct way might be to use a 5v generator.
I'm pretty sure that's how the A-Pac worked, since it worked with any value potentiometer.  I'd assume the U-HID would work the same way.
This is just thinking out loud, I haven't seen anyone run voltage from something else into an Apac or U-HID.
Definitely check with Andy before trying.

I'll keep pondering the concept and post if I come up with anything else.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:39:37 pm »
Well I don't know the specifics, but every single solitary bike/whatever I've seen has a simple two wire cable that goes to the display.  My guess is it's just a simple digital speedo using a square wave pulse. 

So basically check the "real instrument panels" thread.  It's the same deal, only backwards. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:41:26 pm »
This place has a DIY kit for $80.

http://www.cyberbiking.com/info.html

Uses a magnet and most likely a microcontroller showing up as a generic gamepad.
I'd probably make a nicer looking magnet and pickup, but would be tempted to just buy the damn thing instead of trying to make my own.

EDIT: ok, might have to start looking for free recumbent bikes on craigslist myself.  :lol
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:51:29 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »
That's a bit pricey, but not terribly unreasonable. 

I wonder if a person could get the general idea of what the bike sends via a multimeter?  I don't have a scope unfortunately. 

I mean if the built in sensor for the bike is generic enough making a avr show up as a joystick is child's play.  Minimal code would be required to count the pulses and translate that to an axis. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »
I like the magnet idea and maybe (since it is going in one direction) a leaf connector.  I think I have the bike bit sorted out ($20 on CL), so I am again thinking of a rotor encoder like a trackball or spinner.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:13:25 pm »
I'm confused.

What game I going to play?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:08:18 pm »
Anything with a gas pedal basically.  You are rigging it up to make the car run on pedal power.  :)

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:18:42 pm »
Wow.  That is pretty expensive... but worse is that its such a low resolution application.  One magnet means you wont be playing games with any accuracy at all.   Basically, you have to pedal one full rotation before it knows your speed.  Stop anywhere in between.. and its not going to register that.   Probably does some calculations to auto-slow or stop if rotation isnt made in a certain timeframe.  Ack.

I think an Optical wheel is a better choice.   Its easy to set up,  and optical input works with almost any game type.  (mouse)

A lot of times theres some bikes on the Curb,  or an exercise bike as well.   If one were to make a stand and set the wheel on a roller..  you could then gear the output down, using another larger wheel attached to the smaller roller wheels..  and then hook the encoder wheel directly to that.   Without gearing it down.. it would be way too high a resolution.

However, another option, similar to above... would be to attach one or two magnets to the roller wheel.. and have a magnetic reed switch to act as a digital keypress.   Because the roller wheel is much smaller than the bike tire... it will spin the rollers like 16 times to the wheels One rotation.   With two magnets, thats 32 hits per rotation.

Then again... If your using a chain drive that has functional gearing...  ratios may play a factor in the output.

As for workout.. Exercise bikes have an adjustable braking pad I believe... which creates the resistance.   This may be ok for slow games... but not so well for games that require quick & explosive reaction times...  such as  "Kick".

Id make the idea for a Kick controller some years ago..  using a unicycle like stand, bike pedals, a direct drive wheel..  and the Optical system I described.   Didnt think about the gear-down setup back then though.    I also had the idea to place some kind of balls on either side of the thing, to use as a real kick button.   I think it would be quite fun playing like that.   

Heck, if its dedicated to kick alone..  maybe make an actual track for it.. so that as you pedal, the whole thing moves back and forth along the track.  The rolling chair device would be stable so that you wouldnt have to fixate on keeping the thing from tipping.  However, the stand section could also be made with a pivot point.. with the seat section hooked to a heavy mass.. so that the seat could sway back and forth a bit... as you quickly changed directions.   That pivot could also be hooked to an analog pot..  for some other usage...  Such as pulling a wheelie - with the addition of some handlebars to grip on to...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 07:31:57 pm »
Well like I've mentioned a couple times but people either aren't getting it or are ignoring it, all the modern exercise bikes have a speedometer built in... at least the mid-range bikes and they all have the exact same connector, so my guess would be the tech is similar in each one, possible identical. 

There's no real need to roll your own encoder/ect... just use the existing one in the bike.  You can always plug it back into the bike's display when you aren't gaming or make a 7-adaptor or what have you. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:10 pm »
If using an optical encoder, you'd need to use something like glovepie to convert it into analog joystick movement anyway.
I think that would be more headaches than it's worth.
Better to just start out with something that is seen as a proper controller.

Yes, the optical encoder would be preferable if the games were designed for it, but it probably isn't going to work with the majority of PC games.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:52 pm »
Well the encoder is just the hardware side.  As Doc Brown would say "You aren't thinking 4th dimensionally". 

You will need an avr regardless and while you'll read the encoder, you can set it up as an analog joystick. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:58:15 pm »
Well the encoder is just the hardware side.  As Doc Brown would say "You aren't thinking 4th dimensionally". 

You will need an avr regardless and while you'll read the encoder, you can set it up as an analog joystick.

I was thinking a Kade and a Xbox console.  Lots of games where pedal power can be registered. 

Maybe having the handlebars able to turn, thus making it harder to pedal as you steer the car (Super Sprint) around the track.  I think it would be a good laugh having a pair of bikes in competition play.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 09:11:39 am »
Why don't you just get off your ass and run?  Sounds like a self discipline issue.

Going to make a machine to turn brushing your teeth into a game when you can't be troubled to do that?

I'm all for making a wicked cool cycling game but if the idea is that this project is the key to your weight loss you are lying to yourself. If you can't motivate yourself to work out for your health then no game is going to bridge that gap.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 10:32:26 am »
Why don't you just get off your ass and run?  Sounds like a self discipline issue.

Going to make a machine to turn brushing your teeth into a game when you can't be troubled to do that?

I'm all for making a wicked cool cycling game but if the idea is that this project is the key to your weight loss you are lying to yourself. If you can't motivate yourself to work out for your health then no game is going to bridge that gap.

I have bad knees due to stupidity of my youth and countless bmx crashes. I wanted something I could craft that would be a cool game interface, and be a workout at the same time.  I use the bike in the gym and so far I have lost 30 pounds.  The doc said biking would help my cartilage growth.  Bike + Arcade sounds like fun.  Why not?  And the added challenge of getting it all to work sounds like a good self discipline to follow.  My parents always said that I would pay for it later on in life....  Do we kids ever listen?  :lol

codeena

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2023, 06:23:54 pm
  • This site is cool
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 11:36:01 am »
Hey ark_ader,

I have a Cateye Gamebike and use it with the PS2. I also have the Cyberbike for the Wii. Both make exercising a lot more fun. You can use the Gamebike with most racing games, including Gran Turismo, but it seemed odd to play a car racing game with a bike. I'm going to see if I could use it for Prop Cycle by Namco or Paperboy. Good luck with your project.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »
Hey ark_ader,

I have a Cateye Gamebike and use it with the PS2. I also have the Cyberbike for the Wii. Both make exercising a lot more fun. You can use the Gamebike with most racing games, including Gran Turismo, but it seemed odd to play a car racing game with a bike. I'm going to see if I could use it for Prop Cycle by Namco or Paperboy. Good luck with your project.

Awesome!  Thanks for that! Perfect!  :applaud:

Now to BYOAC it!

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/vr-bike/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:57:17 pm by ark_ader »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 09:57:24 am »
Years ago, (probably 10-15) our local fitness club had a bike set up that had a monitor in front of it (much like the cateye, but the handles, pedals and monitor were all built into a cabinet like thing). The monitor (I think it was only a 15", but it was close to the rider), would take you through your selected course and the bike pedaling would get harder as you went up a hill, easier down hill, etc. The screen showed "real" scenarios and you would even have to dodge pedestrians and cars.
I thought it was neat, something different from the ordinary exercise bike.
Then somebody broke the thing. It must have been expensive to get fixed because it was out of order for months then it just disappeared.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 10:11:48 am »
What would be neat is if you could download google earth maps to get your local areas (or anywhere in the world)  set up as courses for the bike.
And of course the magnetic switch to count pedal revolutions would not work.
You would need the pedals hooked up to a generator (dc motor), so the computer can more accurately measure speed and control resistance by applying more load or removing load from the generator.
Maybe the power from the generator could be used to power the computer, so you would even be saving electricity, another incentive to work out.
(Yeah ive been thinking about this ever since those fitness club days.)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 08:39:21 pm »
You can actually do that on the Wii U via google street view.  (You walk on the balance board).  Trust me, due to how slow google maps is it isn't all that fun. 

Fro anyone interested I looked into the wire that's used on most common bikes/whatevers.  On this stamina bike at least it's just a two wire deal.  It appears to be a simple switch and I was able to get the display up to 28 mph just by rapidly shorting the two wires. 

So the interface ark linked to is probably already built into most bikes that have that cheap AA powered display. 

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 02:36:46 am
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 05:56:32 pm »

It's nice to be able to workout when there are 10 foot snow drifts outside.
Plus the fact that if you make if fun like you're playing a game you won't notice you're working out...until the next day. Did that once with an arcade shooter with a motion sensor that let you squat and lean through the levels to take cover. Didn't realize I was giving myself a workout until the next day when I could barely walk.

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:21:42 am »
You can do that street view think with the google cardboard VR headset as well albeit flying around, maybe that could be hacked to take forward movement from the bike pedals and disable the height part of the flying. You would also need a fan in front of you that would speed up if you peddle quicker. That would be as close to actually going out on a bike around your neighbourhood as you could get without going out on your bike around your neighbourhood. All powered by a smart phone.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 04:08:05 am »
Update:

The bike arcade has hit a snag.  I got the stationary bike cheap and it is crap (nasty).  So in the theme of things I want to keep this idea alive and just make a controller out of one of these:

But that is not all.....

I also want to construct a Xbox driving bartop.  Now I picked up a small xbox intec wheel at goodwill for $2 and it works, with a decased xbox (I still have to TSOP) and a 14" Dell monitor. This way I can pop it on my desk and use pedal power to interact with the games as before.  I have wood, tools and time, so if anyone has any driving bartop ideas, please do not keep it to yourself.   ;)

Thanks.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »
I thought about hacking one of those...  The main issue with them is that the crank arms are not long enough.   The typical bike, has crank arms that are like twice that length...   so it will feel like you are trying to pedal a tiny childs bike, or one of those tiny clown bikes.

You are better off using a trashed bike, or a thrift store bike, for parts, imo.

Edit:  Or making your own, with some bolts, bearings, a few wooden wheels, and some bike pedals.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:14:24 pm by Xiaou2 »