Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Boss Box (23" Touch Screen PC Jukebox)  (Read 3171 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
The Boss Box (23" Touch Screen PC Jukebox)
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:13:02 pm »
Thought I would share this here (in projects)....it was posted prior in the Audio/Jukebox thread.
I've longed to have a jukebox in my man cave, or some cool means to display/access/play my music.
About a year ago (which I still can not believe a year has gone by) I decided I'd go the PC route.
I wanted a PC based jukebox with a touch screen and the ability to control it from (if needed) my tablet.

So now I have the Boss Box!
I used the following items/elements to get something working to my satisfaction.

`23" All in 1 Gateway PC w/ touch screen monitor
`Touch Jams with a custom skin I created myself
`Cheap Android Tablet (as alternate means of control)
`Splashtop (which I liked better than Team Viewer)
`USB Bluetooth trasmitter & Bluetooth receiver with 3.5mm headphone jack
`MP3 Tag
`MP3 Gain

This project was fun, but not without some issues. Some things like Touch Jams and  the support are awesome.
MP3 Gain and MP3 Tag are great programs. Both of which helped get my music collection into tip top shape.
Tagging took some time to get items to display as I wanted, but when done the result was worth it.
I did not like the way that Touch Jams added songs to the play list. It required that you click the song, then "add." Prior I had used Uncle T's awesome free program. None the less I had mentioned my feature request and Bob @ Touch Jams added the feature. I love it now !

The biggest issue I had was the Bluetooth.
The USB Bluetooth adapter would not connect to the receiver, yet other devices in the house would.
I later ordered a Bluetooth adapter that connected to the PC thru the headphone jack. Sadly it was defective and would not stay paired.
It was brought to my attention that some of the connection issues could stem from other Bluetooth items in the room.
True enough turning off the Bluetooth on my phone and 2nd PC solved the issue. The PC now connects every time to the receiver.

Solving the Bluetooth issue was (is) HUGE! The PC can now get moved downstairs where it will easily send the music thru Bluetooth to my existing AV system.
At a later date I may tweak the PC slightly, adding Simple Touch front end and various touch friendly games.
For now I'm happy to call the project near done.

I think it's simple, but it works as it should and I think anyone that comes over will be able to use it. Perhaps in the near future I'll look into possibly building a case of sorts for the PC so perhaps I can wall mount it. Possibly adding better cooling and some RGB LED lighting..............who knows !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:24:33 pm by mike boss »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Re: The Boss Box (23" Touch Screen PC Jukebox)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 08:05:29 pm »
I've made both the skins I created available via the Touch Jams site (for anyone interested).

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:42:16 pm »
I've got Simple Touch FE installed (not configured)..... I'll need to mess around and get this a custom skin.
I moved over a bunch of PopCap Games and touch screen based trivia games.
Hoping to kick this project up a lil.

Brian74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:48:02 pm »
I tried to use simple touch fe on my video slot machine. I couldnt get it to work with my pc. Any pointers?

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:42:51 pm »
i got it working on xp, you have to use autohotkey shortcuts to get it to run the different slot sets, its a bit of a pain, and sometimes the macros don't run right....theres a youtube of a guy running it smooth but i cant find it...

Here is one link though....

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:29:27 am »
I was content with the PC set up and running just Touch Jams.
Future plans were (are?) to see if I can perhaps get some form of case built, adding some LED lighting perhaps ? Something (anything really) to disguise that it is a PC. In reality however that may never happen, and thats OK.

I obtained my main goal which was to get a jukebox (of sorts) into the man cave.
I'm happy to have overcome the Bluetooth issues I had!! In the end my lil $1 eBay adapter worked, but was having issues due to other PC's, iPod, and cell phones all with Bluetooth on.

As noted above I use a pairing of Bluetooth devices to get the music from the PC (juke) to my existing AV set up. I picked up a powered USB to keep a steady connection to the Bluetooth reciever. This was advised to me by a member of the BYOAC and an awesome idea that I overlooked. Not only do I use it for the juke, but I power the USB gamepad receivers that I use with my OUYA.

With my lil one at home (10 months old) time on the PC is limited these days.
I've moved over all my touch based games and Simple Touch, but I'm yet to install and configure. I want the machine to have a polished look, not simply shortcuts on the desktop. As is the PC will boot right in Touch Jams, but if I can get everything working I'll modify that.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:25 pm »
There are no shortcuts with Simple FE, if your familiar with hyperspin setup then you know what i'm talking about.  You have to setup executable scripts, in order to get the selected machines to show up correctly.

IF you do it right, there are no visible shortcuts and you can boot right to the selection screen...

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:47:49 pm »
I avoid all these issues by just having my jukebox be a jukebox.  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 02:59:01 pm »
I avoid all these issues by just having my jukebox be a jukebox.  >:D

LOL!!

What I meant about the shortcuts was simply NO frontend, then desktop shortcuts to launch the games.
I would just clean up the desktop and have the shortcut for Touch Jams and the assorted games.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
I have a touchscreen jukebox just for music, and a Megatouch for touchscreen games. I'd rather keep the two separated.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 03:44:48 pm »
I'd love a CD or MP3 based jukebox, something that looked retro, sounded good and lit up (I'm a sucker for bright lights). But space and money are as always an issue. The PC route with tablet control gave me a "cool" factor that I liked (can you tell how nerdy I am ?). Space wize the PC route also made sense. And all be it sometimes less is more I think with a PC more is more....the more it can do the better. My stand up arcade machines are not everyones cup of tea, but these touch based games have a certain universal appeal. I think with everyone having a new top of the line phone and talbets everywhere the touch aspect is a lil less WOW than it was years ago. But playing the games on the 23" screen is a small plus.

That is the way I see it anyway. By no means my coolest, best project but I got a result I wanted in at a traget price. This I am happy about. I like using SplashTop on my phone and tablet to use the jukebox. The wireless aspect of the Bluetooth (now working) was something else I liked a ton.