Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Force Motherboards?  (Read 3177 times)

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 08:11:25 pm
Force Motherboards?
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:41:14 pm »
Who has tried other motherboards besides the ECS and got it to work?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Force Motherboards?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:15 pm »
i've been able to repair 99% of the original ECS force boards i've encountered. The Ion ECS board is much worse than the Force ECS board...the force ECS responds much better to repair attempts.

most of the time a recap get's it working...failing that, replacing the CPU. they often get overheated and zonk out. this is mainly due to the foil and graphite? thermal interface they use...it's crap. clean that !@#$ off and put some proper paste on there. temps will go from 60c to 25c instantly.

while not FORCE... a good Asus replacement for the ECS ION boards in the elites is the Asus "A7N8X-VM" ive replaced a few in the elite edge IONS with this board and they seem to work much better. you may have to clip the heatsink a little to get it to clear the brackets...but  :dunno better than ECS.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:05:41 am »
also find a fan for the video chip heat sink
use black high heat silcon if u need
keep it cool
u will find they work just duckie

p.s i told him today to go f.h.s

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:55:29 am »
Sorry if i wasnt clear. Im not trying to fix any boards. I am asking if anyone has ever tried using other motherboards in a Force system besides the ECS. I remember reading somewhere about a PCCHIPS and a Amptron motherboard also working. I am wondering if there is any others.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:50:51 pm »
I tried some other boards with i810 chipsets because they all have the same video chip. The problem is they dont all use the same sound chip. The ECS uses CMI8738. I pulled a ASUS TUW-LA from a HP tower i had and it had a AD1885 sound chip. I patched the force software to accept the board but had no sound. I found this strange because the module for this sound chip was there but was not loaded. After a little debugging i found a script that was loading the wrong module. After a quick edit of the script to load the correct module, I got the sound to work. :cheers: