Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gorf PCB Board Repair? Where are you Great Gorf "OZ"?  (Read 3559 times)

monkplayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2017, 07:32:31 pm
Gorf PCB Board Repair? Where are you Great Gorf "OZ"?
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
Are you feeling like your being recruited right now? I need you! Well maybe it IS your lucky day!

This could be the day that you finally get the answer you've been asking for years, "What IS my purpose in life?" That answer (if you're an expert in repairing Gorf boards) is to help me fix my boards or be paid to teach me how! I can see the excitement all the way from here, because you now KNOW your quest in life! It's to help the less fortunate with your amazing, complex, and brilliant wisdom and intelligence! Your quest is to educate the masses with your vast knowledge!

I *bow-bow-bow* to the ever great Gorf "Oz" and await your answer!

Keep the Quarters Coming,
Monkplayer (USA)
Taa Taa Taa, I eat Coins!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Gorf PCB Board Repair? Where are you Great Gorf "OZ"?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:30:48 pm »
My calling in life is to prepare for the pending Fruit ---smurf--- 2000 invasion. No citrus is safe.

Probablt could've saved a post or three by posting what the problem is? My crystal ball is in the shop.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:01 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:54 pm »
Probablt could've saved a post or three by posting what the problem is? My crystal ball is in the shop.

this is the fella who inserted one of his gorf ROMS in backwards and fried it. As explained in his other thread, He knows he needs a replacement ROM programmed with whatever data the now faulty ROM contained.

you (monkplayer) are still going to have to do one of two things:

1: go on ebay and buy a replacement ROM, an EEPROM burner, and possibly a UV ROM eraser (should you feel like screwing up), download the GORF roms from mame off the internet and write the dead ROMs data to the new ROM. plunk the new rom in the game.

OR

2: contact a company like http://www.hobbyroms.com/ and pay to have them ship you a replacement ROM. plunk the new rom in the game.

monkplayer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »
I did state the problem, I'm looking for someone that does PCB repair.  ;D
I'm not looking for diagnostic solutions at this point.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:01 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »
i'm not sure what the issue is then. An initial problem characterized by bad ROM data (not uncommon in old ROM chips) or faulty a ROM connection (quite common with old boards) was exasperated by removing and putting one in backwards...this ALWAYS kills the chip because of how the chip power is pinned out.

the thing to do is fix the known blown chip and go from there.

if you want to be sure, just order a whole gorf replacement ROM set and change them all. dollars to donuts if you did that, it would work just fine.

there is no "repair" involved here unless you have traces burned off the board or you stepped on it and broke the board. ROM chips are meant to be replaced (game updates, fixes, etc.) it's easy as long as you don't put one in backwards (as you've learned already) or mix them up...which usually isn't fatal, it just doesn't work.

If you are looking for someone to just do it for you, find a repair service such as "Mikesarcade", "irepairsega" or "Arcade Services" and ship it to them and have them fix it for you and send it back.

:dunno

monkplayer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:09:51 pm »
Who can I order these replacement chips from? I won't know the "bad chip" so how do I tell someone I want a specific chip? Is every chip unique to that specific spot on the board? In other words, some Gorf boards have 6 chips the same size on that board, and does each chip have to be made individually for that spot?

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:07 pm »
They're usually marked on the board near (or under?) the IC. I believe GORF has a parts placement chart that identifies the IC and relative locations on the board. ICs should have a U notation such as U1, U2, U3 etc.

Some boards use a grid notation, like chess, to ID ICs and location. But I don't believe GORF does this though I could be wrong... I don't have the manual on hand.

As far as ROM chips go, yes they are made unique for that specific spot by virtue of the programming that goes into it.