Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: running a pc inside megatouch maxx??  (Read 5743 times)

didgey101

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 04:56:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
running a pc inside megatouch maxx??
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:23 am »
Please excuse me if this is covered somewhere else on here but my question is..
I have a megatouch maxx machine which works perfectly with a bright responsive screen but the games are ancient.  Ive seen people on here running swp software on pcs so seeing as I have a spare pc can I rip the guts out of the maxx and install the pc guts inside it and run a quiz machine ot quiz machine/mp3 jukebox and connect the touchscreen to controll it? If so how difficult is it and what software/hardware do I need...many thanks...tim

didgey101

• Offline Offline
Re: running a pc inside megatouch maxx??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:00:00 am »
Sorry I missed off that I dont want to run megatouch games on it but the newer kind of games if I can but again I don't know where or if these can be obtained or at what cost? Just tell me if im pursuing the unachievable. ..thanks

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:06:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:46:33 am »
Sorry I missed off that I dont want to run megatouch games on it but the newer kind of games if I can but again I don't know where or if these can be obtained or at what cost? Just tell me if im pursuing the unachievable. ..thanks

You can use the monitor and touchscreen but finding games that are designed for touchscreens are very few and far between. Most touchscreen games nowadays are designed for smartphones. I personally wish they would start making more for windows 8. Its a wonder to me that merit/ami has not ported there megatouch live games to windows 8 yet considering they abandoned it already.

But yeah to get back on topic you could throw pc parts inside and connect the touchscreen controller and monitor to it. You will have to run and extra power cord and a new psu inside for your pc parts though.

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 11:54:51 am »
Thanks for that, stripping out the maxx guts and running new power cords and a psu wont be a problem but what software do I need to install on the pc to make it into a pub quiz machine.  Im a complete newbie to things like this so please excuse me. Ive seen pictures on here of what im after but all the mentions of front ends etc means nothing to me at the minute.  Thanks

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:06:46 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »
Thanks for that, stripping out the maxx guts and running new power cords and a psu wont be a problem but what software do I need to install on the pc to make it into a pub quiz machine.  Im a complete newbie to things like this so please excuse me. Ive seen pictures on here of what im after but all the mentions of front ends etc means nothing to me at the minute.  Thanks

Your best bet is to use windowsXP since its the most widely supported OS. As far as front ends, theres so many out there and i never used them myself so i can comment on which one is best. Also pretty much all front ends are made for use with joysticks, keyboards, mouse. I dont know of any that work well for touchscreens.

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:01:50 pm »
After doing a bit more searching I need to make clear what im looking to do. I want to put my pc guts into the megatouch to run a swp emulator using a sheller to boot straight to the quiz games. If there is a thread for dummies on here on how to do this can someone point me in the right direction?  Many thanks

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:34:49 pm »
run a swp emulator using a sheller

you already know more than us.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:12:53 pm »
maybe the poster dose not know how to search or type ?
link >http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=96281.0<
yw btw

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

didgey101

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:37:15 am »
Sorry ed I can type fine but when I use the search on here it vomes up with loads of results but cant seem to find what im after..thanks

kwagner101

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2015, 09:01:22 am
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 02:11:07 pm »
All -

I recently came into contact with 3 different megatouch stand up cabinets.  Can these be modded for MAME - and just not use the touchscreen aspect of the monitor?

Can I throw a PC in the box, connect to the monitor, and just do a 1 player setup for Pacman, DKong, etc?

Is this possible, or is the touchscreen element going to stop this?