Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone want to build a cabinet for me?  (Read 6452 times)

marioxb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 01:54:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Anyone want to build a cabinet for me?
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:38:51 pm »
I don't really know how feasible ths would be, but I have zero woodworking experience or tools etc. I live in Ohio and was planning to drive to Ocala, FL to pick up an empty Punch-Out cabinet from arcade boneyard for $50, but I went through some hardships and it's now gone.

I really want a MAME replica of this (in turn also PlayChoice 10, Arm Wrestling and Super PO), but it's a hard cab to find on the cheap. Never looked at prices of wood at all, but is $50-ish dollars enough to pay someone labor and materials to make just the sides, top/ bottom and front/ back panels, and does anyone like doing this enough to do something like this for me?

I already have a dual monitor PC10 control panel, marquee and will take care of all of the "guts" myself. I'm just an idiot with wood.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:41:04 pm by marioxb »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Anyone want to build a cabinet for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:43:08 pm »
Sorry, but if you're talking about a scratch build, the wood alone is going to be double that $50 easily.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:44:44 pm »
A full size cab is at least two sheets of material and even 1/2" stock is $30ish bucks each.  Not saying what you are asking is impossible, but darn near.  Good luck.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 08:54:09 pm »
Oh are they really? I assumed like $5-10 bucks per 6 foot slab of wood. Like I said, pretty clueless in this area. It was worth a try. Guess I'll keep checking old Craig's Bay. There is an empty (well one untested monitor) on ebay now, but $225 seems like a lot to pay for a "broken" cabinet and its 8 hrs away to boot.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:17 pm »
Pick any of the plans that are available *search forum for plans* and take that to (or call) your local lumberyard, menards, lowes or home depot.  As the others have said, you have underbid the cost of materials considerably. 

*That is ok* Just investigate what raw materials cost to enlighten yourself.

Uses of Graded Plywood
Different grades of plywood have different uses and different prices. A-A is the most expensive, and it is used when both sides of the plywood will be visible and important, such as in furniture. A-C plywood is also often used in furniture in applications where the appearance of only one side matters. "B+-C" and "B-C" grades are typically used for both floor underlays and for sheathing, while the lowest "C-C" grade is reserved for sheathing walls, floors and roofs.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_7793796_difference-between-bc-ac-plywood.html#ixzz32UoAHu2w

The following is a link to Menards, in Columbos Ohio with some prices for ACX & BCX. 

For my lowboy, I still needed 2 sheets.  If you want to get by with 1 sheet + extras, look for plans that can be done on one sheet.  Don't forget, you'll need a kickplate (the front; that you kick when you die in the game) the CP, marquee box and the the floor.

People with tools and years of experience, can hit the ground running, finishing in a weekend.  Some in a week, the rest of us take our time.

Good luck

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:29:09 pm »
I know it's not what you wanted, but you may want to look at just making a Vigolix to get you started.  At least that way you have something that looks decent and is functional.  It would act as inspiration for future builds.  Vigo also condensed the build into an Instructable if you want it more step by step.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:40:24 am »
Thanks. I already have a couple empty cabs (Dragon's Lair II and DK), so I'm not looking for JUST ANYTHING. That Vigolux does look cool, but even then, I would need Home Depot or someone to make all of the cuts for me. I bought the DK thinking I could take it apart and turn it into a Punch-Out, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone build empty cabs for "friends" for little to no profit, just for fun? If I had the skills, tools and free time, I would.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:43:04 am by marioxb »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:57 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 08:58:26 am »
Too much time, money, and effort to do this for free.

You can't make anything functional for less than $500.

You would have been better off shipping that cabinet rather than paying for gas.

mattgold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2016, 12:28:05 pm
  • Tinker 'till it's right...
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:10:45 am »
You would have been better off shipping that cabinet rather than paying for gas.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Sure you're paying $50 for the cabinet, but you're probably dropping somewhere north of $300 (round trip) for gas.

I bet if you offered up somewhere closer to your total cost ($300-$350) you could get something decent.  I'm sure there are a couple guys with CNCs that would run a program for that... but then the issue becomes getting it.

...actually, try PMing 'macattack' he is in the Detroit suburbs and might be able to do just that.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 12:12:45 pm »
I don't want it functional, I just want the wood itself. I can handle all of the guts myself.

mattgold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2016, 12:28:05 pm
  • Tinker 'till it's right...
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 12:19:36 pm »
I don't want it functional, I just want the wood itself. I can handle all of the guts myself.

I get it.  You want a "flat pack" kit.

HaRuMaN sells a bartops for $85-$180:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130522.0.html

macattack also has a bartop and a Viewlix style:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134186.0.html

..but again, $50 for a standard size cab just isn't fair for the seller (as noted by previous comments about wood cost).  Any deal like this has to make sense for both parties.  Expect $200-$300.

ebarlow99

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 11:08:50 am »
depends on what you want and the quality of wood

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 11:36:44 am »
You have enough money to hire some one for 1 or possibly 2 hours, let alone money for materials.

My suggestion would be to save up a few more dollars and purchase an empty cabinet off craigslist. Some times I see them going for $100-150. If you couldn't afford the $50 deal... This might not be the hobby for you. Purchase an xbox or ps3 controller and enjoy mame on your pc. I try to say it in the nicest way possible. You need a few more bucks to be able to BYOAC.

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 07:49:39 pm
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 05:57:47 pm »
I don't know where in Ohio you are but a guy on the cilumbus craigslist is offering cnc cut cabs from 200-350.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/vgm/4492177694.html

I can't vouch for their quality but i did email him with a few questions and he was pretty quick to respond.

the pictures look decent.

jaharr01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »

I get it.  You want a "flat pack" kit.

HaRuMaN sells a bartops for $85-$180:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130522.0.html

macattack also has a bartop and a Viewlix style:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134186.0.html

..but again, $50 for a standard size cab just isn't fair for the seller (as noted by previous comments about wood cost).  Any deal like this has to make sense for both parties.  Expect $200-$300.

I think that guy in Detroit has quit building cabs,well that is what the website says

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:51:05 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 08:23:40 am »
Take the plunge and build yourself a cab.  It isn't that difficult and you could do it with a minimum set of tools.  Heck, a scroll saw and straight piece of wood for a guide could take you a long way. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 11:45:50 am »
I don't know where in Ohio you are but a guy on the cilumbus craigslist is offering cnc cut cabs from 200-350.

I can't vouch for their quality but i did email him with a few questions and he was pretty quick to respond.

If his name is Brett, I can vouch that they are great quality and that he is a great guy!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:39 pm »

If his name is Brett, I can vouch that they are great quality and that he is a great guy!

Oh, are you guys in Columbus too? I'm on the west side in Galloway. I did end up getting the empty cab on ebay for $150.

jayfrost

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2014, 08:33:15 pm
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:36:54 pm »
That link has expired.....Im in columbus looking for a slim line cabinet as well.  Have a Large Slickstick Cabinet and ready to downsize.....just wondering if the contact info is available.

Thanks,

Jason

FelixTheJeep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2014, 05:43:16 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 03:22:32 pm »
Was anyone able to get the contact info for the guy in Columbus?  I'm looking for someone to do a CNC cab also and finding someone local would be great.

ebarlow99

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 09:09:07 am »
Brett had surgery and is out of commish....he did sell all his files though....not sure to who.... what kind of cab you looking for? im in MI

FelixTheJeep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2014, 05:43:16 pm
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 08:00:59 pm »
A cocktail I think.  Still trying to get an old computer I was just given up and running the way I want but time is limited during the summer.  Will probably be done with that and looking to get the actual cab in the fall. 

ebarlow99

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:25 am »
I have done a few.....mine are customized if you like

retrogamedude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:31:15 am
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
I have a bartop that was a flatpack from haruman and its great, I'm also in the Columbus area