Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: sound card setup in DOS  (Read 9963 times)

sdrob04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:12:50 pm
sound card setup in DOS
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:18:59 am »
Hey all,

I'm trying to setup a dedicated pc for multi-vector use, and to that end have a generic box running DOS 6.22 and a Sound Blaster CT4810 sound card.  I've followed much of the advice from this forum, the EasyMameCab site (where I obtained the SBPCI drivers), and Al's ZVG Vector Mame cabinet video series on YouTube.  I have eliminated all startup errors from my autoexec.bat, verified that the sound card is indeed recognized and initialized, but I still don't get sound. 

What I do get (upon launching a game and selecting '1. Sound Blaster') is a page full of what appear to be memory errors, as the first line reads 'Exiting due to signal SIGFPE', followed by 'Division by Zero at eip=002e7a3d,' etc.  The last line reads 'Call frame traceback EIPs:  0x002e7a3d' (image attached).

Any ideas what this error suggests?  If I select '0. Silence', all games run fine.  Something about trying to invoke the sound card during play causes the error.  Would appreciate any thoughts as to where I should focus my efforts next...

elkameleon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
Re: sound card setup in DOS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:10:46 pm »
I recently built a DOS pc for mame, I had issues getting the sound to work, but all I did was change a value in one line of the autoexec.bat file. Look for the line that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H6 P330 T3
That last variable, was T4, I changed it to T3 and my sound worked! That variable tells the system what type of card you are using, I believe T3 is "soundblaster 2.0 compatible".

EDIT: this is the site that helped me the most:
http://dosmame.mameworld.info/Setting_Up_DOS_Soundcards
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:14:36 pm by elkameleon »