Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: best joysticks 2014?  (Read 5791 times)

iamscottyb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2018, 10:10:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
best joysticks 2014?
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »
I bought a set of arcade joysticks and pushbuttons off ebay and I'm really disappointed with my joysticks bc they are 8 way sticks but they are not responded to any any of my angled stick movements. Yes, they are in the 8 - way position I just think these sticks are just plain crap on a stick. What is the best 8 - way sticks I can buy separately?  SANWA maybe

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: best joysticks 2014?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:18 pm »
There is no "best stick".  It largely depends on what you want to use it for (i.e. which games), if you want microswitches or not, etc.

iamscottyb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2018, 10:10:40 am
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:04:10 pm »
I just want a universally good stick. I mostly play nes and snes games...Some mame games but I do want my fighting games to work properly

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:00:50 am »
What type of panel are they mounted in and did you cut a proper size hole for them -- could be the stick can not move enough in the opening to activate the 2 switches properly for the diagonals or might need to adjust the micro switch position so they activate properly. (ie. if the hole in the CP is too small the stick may not be able to reach both micro switches)

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:21:15 am »
The way you mount your joystick can impact they action on your stick.  For example, my panel is 3/4" thick on the top.  I think the whole is too small and the stick doesn't appear to have the range it should. 

There are so many different assemblies to build a joystick around.  In some cases you can mix and match parts.    There is one product targeted to the folks that take their fight sticks to fighter tournaments. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/128223884/the-link-quick-release-joystick-shaft

I shouldn't get overly philosophical for something that doesn't require it, but its kinda my thing.  Think of building your control panel and your machine overall akin to a Jedi building his lightsaber.  You've got to use the force to find the crystals, detect their impurities and align them.  You will become one with your control panel as a Jedi with his lightsaber.  It will become one with you as well.

Keep in mind, that some joysticks lend themselves to be mounted on metal rather than wood. 

www.focusattack.com tends to target the fight stick tournament market.   They have a lot of the different pieces I was referring to.  Even an optical pcb for your joystick.  Paradisearcadeshop has some too.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 01:22:42 pm »
Yeah, everyone's going to give you a different opinion. For my money, I am loving a Seimitsu LS-58 or 56 with an octagonal restrictor for general gaming. There is also a site, http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html that is a pretty good starting point.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter