Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about graphical artifacts and monitor issues.  (Read 763 times)

Dungeonsdeep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2015, 02:20:01 pm
  • Pizza!
Question about graphical artifacts and monitor issues.
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:53:29 am »
I'd just like to say I am new here, and so far this forum has been a great help. Thank you!

I have included a link to an Imgur album for reference and examples;

http://imgur.com/a/KObQy

I have a Final Fight game I got recently for free. It used to be an old Moon Patrol cabinet. The monitor is a Wells Gardner 19k4901. As you can see the ISO transformer area is VERY dirty. The screen seems to fade from dark to bright, and I don't really know what is causing that. Flickers as well time to time.

Today I was poking around inside and like an imbecile, brush some dust away on the monitor chassis to read the info regarding the pots, and got quite an electric shock. Now, on my old Bad Dudes cab, I used to mess around inside all the time. Probably not safe while powered on, but I never got a shock. Is this normal? Could it be a grounding issue?

Regarding the images. As you can see, there are visible artifacts. I am assuming this is related to the JAMMA board, and not the monitor though. However; the JAMMA PCB looks brand new. Like, seriously not a speck of dust on it. Notice in one image, how the text is just utter nonsense. I have never seen anything like that.

I plan on recapping it in the future. But maybe there are some other adjustments I can make before I do this. The picture is really not THAT bad, aside from the brightness fading in and out.

I am really new at this stuff, so maybe someone could clue me in, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!