Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Inkwell - Slim upright, rotating monitor  (Read 4876 times)

animatorJustin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2023, 11:09:32 pm
The Inkwell - Slim upright, rotating monitor
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:15:13 pm »
So I started this build, at least the Idea for it 5 years ago. Finally after  Remodeling the game room, i decided to update my Arcade.

This is what I am replacing

I will be keeping the design of my CP, and artwork. here is the Render I did of the hopeful finished project.

Here is my Control panel. All hand drawn in photoshop.

And an old Picture I put in the "show off your CP" Thread

1 Side of Artwork done

Working on left Side now

Current Wood progress, sorry Didn't really take pictures before this point
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:18:23 pm by animatorJustin »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: The Inkwell - Slim upright, rotating monitor
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:38:49 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of the cab shape, or the CP box itself; however, I love how original your art is and where you're going with that aspect.  The black boarder makes it pop and the red t-molding sets it off even further.  I think it's a great combination.  The Maquee is a bit incongruous with the rest of the art at this point IMO but overall it's a really charming motif. 

I will be following this one closely, I think you are going to do great stuff here, looking forward to it!

Oh, and please loose the three-n-one button, those things are blah to the max. 

animatorJustin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:55:05 pm »
Im still not 100% on the marquee, I wanted something with more color, and thats what is what I quickly came up with.

The shape is one that got the wife approval, and I  really liked Knievel's woody and a marvel Arcade concept I saw few years back.

Funny enough about the Tri-button , its something I really like, and took a while to hunt it down. luckily Nephasth had an extra one, with some of Vinyl stickers I'm quite happy with it.

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:20:47 am »
I actually really like the shape. Too many cabs these days look... funny... but in a cheap, "i didn't really understand the basic principals of design" sort of way.   I'm not sure I'm making my point with that... but yeah...  The shape is good, its different.

Personal preference: i'd lose the red moulding in favour of some black. and place a single sheet of dark tinted glass over the whole display and bezel area.

Im sorry, i HATE it when people dictate design to me.   ...why am i doing it to you?   :D

wirenut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2016, 02:11:07 am
  • Rumbai, Indonesia
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:50:39 am »
Dude I love it!  "The Inkwell" theme is too cool.  Are you just repurposing the old control panel or are you building a new one?

animatorJustin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:54:52 am »
I Have Tinted Plexi that is going over the monitor, but Forgot it for the render.

For The control panel, i was just going to reuse it. then I saw some of my Shoddy old Woodworking. this time I have a Carpenter helping me out. so we were able to make a new one. and looks much nicer.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:32:14 pm »
Perfect! :cheers:

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:56:21 am »

I'm not a huge fan of the cab shape, or the CP box itself; however, I love how original your art is and where you're going with that aspect.  The black boarder makes it pop and the red t-molding sets it off even further.  I think it's a great combination.  The Maquee is a bit incongruous with the rest of the art at this point IMO but overall it's a really charming motif. 

I will be following this one closely, I think you are going to do great stuff here, looking forward to it!

Oh, and please loose the three-n-one button, those things are blah to the max.

In agreement with Le chuck re the console and 3-n-1 button, but do like the Cab shape and side art concept is fantastic - is now on my watch list
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

animatorJustin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:17 pm »
Here is some update shots.

Got it painted and Routed

Sorry about the Feeling about the Tri-button but it was a win with me and the wife.

Here is The cabinet with The T-molding and the monitor Installed

Here is the Vertical Rotation, Control panel is still the old one

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 04:10:42 am »
That's looking really cool man.  :applaud:

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »
It's a beast! Looking good.

animatorJustin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 12:58:19 am »
Well Finally an update, its all almost finished, still working on a marquee, and I have a newborn baby coming in the next few days. I know a lot of the characters are not arcade, but the cabinet holds tons of different systems. On a sad note, I lost my original hard drive, and both side panel art files. also its hard to finish this now that it plays the games.

I like it better then Dueling kids. the black bar fits in the slot that holds the plexiglass in place

Thoughts?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »
I like it!   This certainly fits the rest of the art way better.

If I was to be critical, there are two things I would say:

First, I think you have too many "sketches" of 8 bit characters.. The duck I would keep, but the other pixelated ones I would draw as characters and not game icons.. Just me though..

Second, I like the sketch ideas, but given the overall canvas size, I would like to see some different "pens" being used.  My daughter spends a lot of time sketching (which is one reason I really like your concept and art), and her sketchbooks are filled with all sorts of mediums - pencil sketches, charcoal, colored pencil, colored marker, and even some watercolor stuff.  I love the rough sketches behind it, but instead of just blue, red, and black pens, it would be neat to see some characters in further or even earlier "stages" of doodling with a wider variety of colors..  I think some more solid (but in detail still "rough") art that draws you closer and closer, and every step closer you get you see more of the lighter sketches and details.  Again, just my opinion. 

Overall, I am impressed, great job!

97thruhiker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 08:44:25 pm »
Been away from the site for a few years - have an urge to build another cabinet.  Looking to build a slimline and have been digging through the site for inspiration.  I must say I love the design of your cabinet.  Any chance you might post the measurements?  Thanks.

animatorJustin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:32:30 pm »
Sure here is the measurements. Sorry they are Really screwy, but i Was able to produce a Cab with them. made it originally in 3DSmax.

Good luck

97thruhiker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 11:38:42 pm »
Nice  :applaud: - thanks for the side layout, exactly what I was looking for.  Like I said its been a few years since I was active here.  Built a MAME cabinet probably going on ten years ago or so and rebuilt a Donkey Kong and PacMan cabinet.  The MAME cabinet is long gone and of all people the wife has been bugging me to build another one.  Kids are getting older now to (11 and 7) so they are excited as well.  The landscape has changed quite a bit here, as well as the parts available so I need to brush up.  Thanks again.