Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trying to power up a Megatouch motherboard  (Read 19970 times)

gio_aus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2020, 09:19:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Trying to power up a Megatouch motherboard
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:50:06 am »
Hi guys,

Got a three spare megatouch motherboards, I believe they are the ITOX EC0026-04 (G586LPX REV:F) and want to test if any of them work. Can you use any AT power supply to try power them up? I connected a working one from an old Pentium desktop but got no response.

Thanks.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:11:25 pm
Re: Trying to power up a Megatouch motherboard
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »
Hi guys,

Got a three spare megatouch motherboards, I believe they are the ITOX EC0026-04 (G586LPX REV:F) and want to test if any of them work. Can you use any AT power supply to try power them up? I connected a working one from an old Pentium desktop but got no response.

Thanks.

make sure the power supply is atx standard. Some dell power supply are wired different then standard and still use the same atx connector. Also you might need to use a jumper on the power switch pin on the mobo. Ive not seen a ITOX board so i cant say for sure though.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:26 am »
I've attached a photo of the board, from my experience that's an AT connector on the motherboard. My AT power supply doesn't have a push switch on it, would that make a difference? Tried connecting a regular switch to the PWR SW pins on the motherboard and also a jumper but no luck.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:12:32 am »
Ah, i thought they started using atx for the maxx mobo's. You'll have to wait for lilshawn or ed12 to chime in here. I only have access to XL , force, and ion systems.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:07:28 pm »
ya thats the odd board set they used
yes the power supply is at
if u have the old 1 ? just use the header's from it and wire it to an atx supply.
there is alot of places u can still pick up at power supply's
goodwill,thirfshop's,secondhand stores,even some coumpter shop's will have an old 1 laying around.

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:09 pm »
or if u are confused
type this into google >at power supply pinout<
the first page first img is your pinout's
+ it will show u atx and the new atxe

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:35:47 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:29:46 pm »
IIRC, merit actually supplied some kind of AT to ATX convertor cable at one time because they stopped carrying AT supplies.

get one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ATX-20-pin-to-AT-P8-P9-P10-with-3-Pin-Power-Switch-Cable-Cord-PC-009-/270818956893?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item3f0e11565d&_uhb=1

remember... "black touches black" on the P8 and P9 connectors. if orange and red are touching, it's wrong.

see i remember stuff from A+  ;D

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »
IIRC, merit actually supplied some kind of AT to ATX convertor cable at one time because they stopped carrying AT supplies.

get one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ATX-20-pin-to-AT-P8-P9-P10-with-3-Pin-Power-Switch-Cable-Cord-PC-009-/270818956893?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item3f0e11565d&_uhb=1

remember... "black touches black" on the P8 and P9 connectors. if orange and red are touching, it's wrong.

see i remember stuff from A+  ;D

You only do that wrong ONCE before its ingrained in your head.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 10:26:38 am »
so I'm assuming there's no need for the P10 connector with this adapter? how do they work exactly seeing as they don't come with connectors for a switch? i was looking around and found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-ATX2ATPOW-ATX-to-AT-Motherboard-Power-Converter-Cable-/301164416356?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item461ecc4d64

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 10:42:09 am »
no the switching is handled internally with the ATX. the power was switched on the AT's

the adapter i linked has the "power on" wire jumped so the supply will turn on automatically when power is applied. the one you linked simply has the wires available to switch it with a switch.

you don't want to feed 120 into that faston in your linked item, or you'll blow it all up.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 11:21:15 am »
so would i need a jumper over the PWR SW pins on the motherboard?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:23 pm »
no...because the older AT boards don't have a "soft"  switch... they just powered on when the power supply was turned on.

normally with an AT power supply, the 110 (or 220 depending) was fed into the back of the power supply where you plugged in the cord.... the line was brought OUT the front of the supply inside the computer to the power switch out front of the case where it was switched off and on with the user power switch... then fed  BACK IN the power supply and used to power the power supply with mains 100/200 volt power.

TL;DR - the power switch on an AT power supply ACTUALLY turns the power off and on to the supply.

in a newer ATX supply, it's powered all the time... even if the computer is off. this (called "+5vSB") is often used to power USB devices and whatnot so you can use them to "wake up" the computer from an off state. when the the "soft" power switch is pressed the computer sends a ground signal down the "pg" wire on the supply, and the power supply powers up the rest of the power rails (+3.3v/+5v/+12v etc) on the supply to power up the computer.

TL;DR - ATX power supplies are switched internally with a signal from the computer.

when you try and mix and match, you simply need to supply switched 120 volt power to the ATX supply (from the power switch of the megatouch) and then trick the power supply into thinking it's received the "PG" signal from the computer (by grounding the PG" line to the supply)

the harness you linked, while it will work, isn't really necessary as you already switch the power to the supply on the back of the machine.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 03:25:13 am »
ok so just got the adapter and hooked it up to the power supply and motherboard, still no response. I know the power supply is definitely working so am I to assume either the motherboard or cpu is dead?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:21:16 am »
u may need to soft start the mother board.
reason is because if the bios batt has been changded ? or is just flat,
your bios setting's would be knocked out

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 11:51:34 am »
...but if this is an old AT board, it should just power up. no soft start here.

take a volt meter and double check you are getting 3.3v, 5v, and 12v on the orange/red/yellow wires (respectively) if the board is getting power, it should startup (barring a catastrophic failure in the past)

if the old power supply was no good and failed in a most spectacular way, it may have taken out the regulators on the motherboard, in which case, it may be junk.

double check you are indeed getting juice out there first though.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
i agree with u shawn
i just threw it out there.

ed

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 07:21:52 am »
i thought id change the bios battery to see what happens, now when i turn it on i can see the cpu fan and power supply fan start spinning for half a second and then no response. any ideas?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:13:19 am »
Sounds dead to me. Why so much effort for such old board? What version are you trying to get working? I have had good results getting boards with same/similar north/south bridge chipsets to work on these systems. You may even have one laying around.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:37 am »
ive got a few motherboard, riser cards and i/o cards and trying to see if they are of any use, they are all Megatouch Maxx parts. Do you mean you can use a regular motherboard with a PCI slot to get these working?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »
ive got a few motherboard, riser cards and i/o cards and trying to see if they are of any use, they are all Megatouch Maxx parts. Do you mean you can use a regular motherboard with a PCI slot to get these working?

I thought you were trying to get your board working to fix a megatouch. I was trying to say that in some of the newer maxx versions like emerald/ruby/sapphire/jade/crown its possible to use a different board that uses the same chipset as the maxx boards. There may be some that use atx and have pci slots. I know ive seen some weird hybrid mobo's out there.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 03:08:21 pm »
that is a specific slot for the :hybryd-board's:
no foul done

best the op can do is chk like i asked them to
a sure sign the board is getting power is the fan's booting for a sec.
a=try soft booting >there is a set of pin's that allow for this<
b=power board up,and as shawn said meter the reg's

ed

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 03:36:21 am »
ed how would i perform the soft boot?

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 10:02:08 am »
on the board, there is a set of pins that you can short out with a small screw driver. Normally a pushbutton would be attached to these pins (when used as a PC inside of a PC case). SOmetimes the pins are marked, sometimes they aren't. If they ARE marked, they'll be marked as "PWR BTN", or maybe just "PWR". You'll see it near "RST" and "HD LED" and "PWR LED".

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 12:04:37 pm »
ed how would i perform the soft boot?

By touching one of these sets of pins i marked in the picture you provided.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:45 am »
ive tried touching the PWR SW pins and had no luck. Just tried the PWR pins and that didn't do anything either. Any other solutions? The power supply is powering up the pc it came out of without any problems, someone suggested it may be the ATX to AT adapter I'm using?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 10:57:21 am »
Any other solutions?

Another cpu, ram, battery, replace any caps that are leaking or look like they are bulging... :dunno

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 10:42:34 am »
had no luck with different cpu, ram or battery. don't notice anything wrong with the caps.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »
had no luck with different cpu, ram or battery. don't notice anything wrong with the caps.

You seem very determined to resurrect this board which is most likely dead. It seems from your original post, its just a spare so why so much determination? If you have a old maxx cab you are trying to get working you can retrofit newer hardware. You can even get ION going on it. Theres cheap motherboards like the asus A7n8x-la that will work straight out of the box with no software patching needed. You can even use the 13 inch CRT and touchscreen glass. You just need to get a microtouch exII controller to replace the SMT-3 because for some reason they black listed the SMT-3 from force and ion software. Although for some reason it works with 2011 and 2012 ION software. Might even work with 2013 and 2014 but i dont have those versions to test so cant verify.

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 08:38:23 am »
apart from being stubborn  ;D, i thought i'd give it a good go trying to make use of these spare parts. I decided to try another ATX to AT adapter and finally got it working. I however am now stuck on this screen, any suggestions?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26:55 am »
apart from being stubborn  ;D, i thought i'd give it a good go trying to make use of these spare parts. I decided to try another ATX to AT adapter and finally got it working. I however am now stuck on this screen, any suggestions?

Congratz man, never would have guessed it was a bad AT adapter. That kernel panic means linux failed to load. If your game is hard drive based, it probably has bad sectors, or some files could have got corrupted.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 12:47:37 pm »
he's right in the stack

first make sure all your dip switch's are off and try it again..
if it fail's turn on 3&7 or 4&8 this should allow the game to rebuild it's self from the back-up
.dat file

ed

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:03 pm »
how likely is it a hard drive error? this is a brand new ssd not an old IDE drive. I played around with the dip switches but didn't really do anything. At one stage i got

LILO 21.6 Loading Linux...............
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernal.
INIT: version 2.78 booting

but it was stuck on that screen. after that i couldn't get past Ok, booting the kernal.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 11:07:10 pm »
ssd in a megatouch ????
thats new.
maybe makeymike can chime in?
they are kernel driven  >ide and or sata<
soild state drive ???
it is looking for it's boot sector....which >ssd< dose not carry with it..
ie the mfg #

ed

gio_aus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 01:19:24 am »
Its one of these, plugs directly into the IDE port and uses the 4 pin power. Made by King Spec

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 10:17:39 am »
Doesnt look like an official merit hard drive. Looks like a cheap IDE flash drive. I was under the impression that you could not install onto non official hard drives with any software pre 2005 maxx/force. I dont have a maxx mobo to test this though. Only have XL/Force/ION mobo's.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 10:34:05 am »
i am yet to see a ssd or flash drive in any merits i have ever worked on
90% were ide then with ion sata

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2014, 11:15:34 am »
Im guessing here but, someone must have attempted to clone an official hard drive onto that IDE Flash drive and files either did not get copied over, or they got corrupted, which is why you are getting that kernel panic and crashing at various stages of the booting screen.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 03:34:48 pm »
previous to 2005 you where REQUIRED to have a specially firmware flashed drive from merit in order for a machine to work. in 2005 they changed the code to allow any drive to be used.

the special drives don't have their drive ID show up in BIOS as "toshiba" or "samsung" or whatever brand, they show up as "merit". the software boots and then checks the drive to make sure it's a legit drive.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 04:03:02 pm »
that unit would be a pre 2005
so how they got a flash drive/ssd to work is beyound me ?
the kernel would default to a death call every time

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 12:52:56 pm »
that unit would be a pre 2005
so how they got a flash drive/ssd to work is beyound me ?
the kernel would default to a death call every time

ed

besides patching the software, you could clone an official hard drive to any drive (CF,sata,ssd) the question is whether the software throws an error during or after install, or both. No maxx mobo here to test with but i am very curious. Maybe someone has 2004 force software they could make an iso i could download? Earliest version on merits website is 2005.5 and i know it doesnt prevent using non official hard drives.