Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Minor issues with Sony KV-27FS120  (Read 3506 times)

Yeltsew7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2015, 07:03:56 pm
  • I don't think that I'll ever get my cab built.
    • My Messy Flash Archive
Minor issues with Sony KV-27FS120
« on: May 02, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »
I picked up a Sony KV-27FS120 off of CL yesterday, and it works great except for a few problems.  None of them are enough for me to not use the TV.  Could it possibly be in need of a cap kit?  Is there any kind of service menu other than the one you get when you press the MENU button?

1.  The image looks slightly jittery, but this could be because I am running my SNES through composite cables, as I have no YPbPr/RGB cables for it.  I do have one for my Wii so I could test that out if that could be the issue.  Here is a video showing it, you can especially see it on the mini map and the  car thing. (Not sure what to call it in F-Zero)
http://a.pomf.se/yrtfmr.webm

2.  There is a line on the left side where the picture fades out before it reaches the edge.  On F-Zero, which fills the whole screen, you can see it clearly.  You can also see that it is not a straight line, but it is kind of wavy and it turns closer to the side of the screen at the top and bottom.

This is not always the case, though.  When I am at the Wii Menu, it all looks great. (480i)
http://imgur.com/a/TuBR6

3.  There is slight discoloration on the right side.
http://imgur.com/a/m3U0H

I know very little about these type of monitors, and any help would be appreciated.  It seems, though, like it is just in need of new caps, but it's only 9 years old.
It seems like there is some other menu on it that people talk about where you can control more.  I can't find it.

I really hope I didn't goof and buy a broken TV.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
Re: Minor issues with Sony KV-27FS120
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 04:16:00 pm »
I found the service menu.  DISPLAY -> 5 -> VOL+ -> POWER.  I managed to make it great on the right side, and the verticals look good. The image is steadier also. Now I have a big black bar on the left and it bows up in the middle slightly.  I think what I need to do it as follows:

Center the bottom horizontally
Widen the bottom
widen the image
straighten it horizontally

what values should I change in the menu to center and widen the bottom, and to straighten out the scanlines.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:19:13 pm by Yeltsew7 »

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:42:04 pm »
1.  It doesn't look too bad.  That might improve somewhat without the signal problems of composite, but don't expect rock-steady pixels on a CRT.  On mine, it looks fine when you sit back, but if you put your eyes up to the screen you can see movement.

2.  The SNES has a very small width on its video output compared to most sources.  They were only planning on us playing on 90's TV's that were set up with a lot of overscan.  Just adjust horizontal width in the service menu until it just barely fills the screen.  From the PC you'll be able to control the width you're outputting to match whatever the TV is calibrated to.  Keep in mind that the width is determined not by the active width in pixels, but by the size of the horizontal front and back porch.

3.  See if that discoloration is still there after everything else is calibrated and the set has settled into its final physical location and degaussed itself a few more times.

Check out the service manual for a listing of what some of the values do.  All the geometry-related values are in the same section.

http://elektrotanya.com/sony_kv-27fs120_chassis_ba-6_sm.pdf/download.html

That upward bowing in the bottom center can't be fixed from the service menu.  It is a problem common to most flat tubes due to scanning a picture onto a screen that isn't equidistant from the electron guns at all points.  You can re-position the deflection yoke to balance the bowing across the top and bottom to the point where it isn't noticeable, but that isn't recommended for beginners as you'll need to be able to correct your convergence afterward.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:53:10 pm »
I fixed it for the most part. I just screwed around in the service menu until it all looked good.  I am running a Wii through component cables and the image  is steadier.  The sides aren't exactly straight, but it looks alright and when I have a wider output form the PC it will look good, I assume. 

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »
If you'll be using consoles, calibrate the size and positioning to them.  Their outputs are fixed, whereas the PC's output can be adjusted to fit the TV.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 07:41:32 pm »
I'll be using PC only I think.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:54:49 pm »
I would just adjust it for the consoles anyway in case you ever want to use them.  No point in calibrating to the output of the PC, as that can always be changed.

The only thing that can't be adjusted at the PC end is vertical size.  I'd set the TV to show 224 lines, as there are a lot of 224p games in MAME, and if you make it bigger you'll have black bars on top and bottom when playing those games.  The Super Nintendo outputs 224p, so set the vertical size and position to that.  Then set horizontal size and position to whatever console you might be most likely to use in the future.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:12 pm »
Alright.  Also, the sides of the image aren't very straight.  Should I work more to straighten them out?  A little bit of the image is just cut off so I could make the image even without any black spots on the sides.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 10:07:08 pm »
It probably needs adjustment to bow, angle, trapezoid, parabola, upper and lower pincushion, all that stuff.  You need to get some test patterns on it for serious adjustment.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 10:38:12 pm »
Right.  The only consoles I have are cart based or my Wii.  Are there any monitor test suites for Wii that you know of? 

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 10:56:04 pm »
You can display pictures on it right?  I've posted some patterns here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121491.msg1392892.html#msg1392892

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 09:05:36 am »
Yes, I can  show pictures.  I will save those images and report back after I try to use those to set it up.