Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee Complete CHD wanted  (Read 15501 times)

mclovin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2023, 12:53:29 pm
  • GT newbie
Golden Tee Complete CHD wanted
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:22:26 pm »
I everyone, I Just got a GT Complete with a dead HDD, does anyone have a Complete CHD Hard drive image hosted anywhere? I would love to get this thing going. Thanks in advance!

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
Re: Golden Tee Complete CHD wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:23:50 pm »
First!

good day.

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:53:24 pm »
I'm not sure I understand? Are you referencing the fact that this was my first post?

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:00 am »
ok it is not quite that simple
1=what color board is it red or green?
2=are u in usa or canada ?
3=what bootrom revision is it v1.6 or v2 or v2.09?
4-what is the u53 #'s >the sticker on the top< of the chip read ?

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:08:20 pm »
Thank you for the reply. 

Green board
Canada
Not sure of revision of bootrom 2.?? I do know it is not v2.09.
Chip G4C-can-u

I've done some reading and I understand I need a 2.09 bootrom for a larger hard drive. Is this something I can flash update myself or must I buy one? Or can I go from an IDE to a small 8 gig SD card? Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to this and hope to get this going myself. I know you can buy this stuff cheap off eBay, but I enjoy doing things myself if possible.

Thanks again!!!

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:26:12 pm »
welp u are in luck
can u burn an eprom ?
if so i will send u the egale 2.09 s/w thus allowing u to run larger harddrive's,

give me a day to zip.up the s/w for u,and i will up-load it to drop-box
what u will get is bit by bit s/w
this means u just burn it to a drive

also if u do not have the players card ?
and do not to wait the nag out any-longer ?
u can remove u32 it will be marked card-1,thus killing the call to the card reader

well u are under the hood of the unit replace the dallas chip u50,the reason is it is battery backup nvram and the battery goes south >10years's< the green board is well into 15years old,so as a matter of repair just do it..

next find a fan for the video card
they over-heat and cause alot of headaches when they crap out >and they do<.

u26 should be sb4
u53 carry's the canidian key code along with u61,u61 is a pic chip,u53 is an atmel
if u find a american s/w then u need u53 and u61..u61 is nla from its-gamming

on the harddrives i just to use any old 40gig..and egal rom where nessary

stay away from egal 2.04 or u had better have a phone line hooked up
as it is a crappy build

next make sure your power supply is bang snuff on,these board's are fussy about that

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:05:36 pm »
Wow looks like you're the right guy to be talking to. Thanks for all the info! Unfortunately I am not really following everything so I will try to start from the begining. Again forgive me, I am a bit of an idiot but catch on quickly.

- I have not burned an eeprom before. What do I need for this? I have some old satellite testing equipment that I used to flash atmel chips and such. 
- Thank you for helping me with the HD software. When I get it, do I use CHDMAN to write it to the drive?
- the machine has the players card mechanism, not sure if it is functional, but I do not have a players card.
- Replace the dallas chip u50. Sounds good, where do I get this? Is it specific to a GT machine or can I pick them up at a component store?
- I will find a fan, not sure how I would mount it, but I will see if I can figure something.
- u26 should be sb4. Not sure what this means.
- u53 carry's the canidian key code along with u61,u61 is a pic chip,u53 is an atmel
  if u find a american s/w then u need u53 and u61..u61 is nla from its-gamming.
You lost me on this one too.
- I have a few spare drives but nothing smaller than 40 gigs so I assume I need an Eagle 2.09.
- I will verify what version for ROM I have when I get home
- Where do I measure on the board what the power supply is outputting? on my initial tests it just says "Voltage ok" on screen.

I have never seen this machine work, but the hard drive is definately shot, all other tests seem to pass ok.

Thanks again for everything!

UPDATE: After some more research, looks like burning my own eprom requires expensive equipment, i think that one is out.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:40:08 pm by mclovin »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:00:52 pm »
ok point to point
the factory chip is a otp eprom = one time programble eprom .
u replace it with a m27c801 to load the egale s/w
with that in hand u will need an eprom writer and a fresh eprom >get 2 if u have never done it ?< and or do not have a eprom ersaer ?

second the dallas chip is of the shelve at mouser  or digikey

third the ref to the canadian key chip's is extremley important..
u53 and u61...

fourth i just take out card 1 chip >it is clearly marked< where i said it is

5th u see the to point's on the green board
j50 and j5 ?,they must be feed +5/gnd/+12 vdc,same as the hard-drive

your test point's are right there +5=red wire +12=yellow wire
with respect to the black wire
if u get lower then +5v then u need to adjust the power supply until u do

the thing i do not get is u stated it passed all test's but will not run the game ?
>I have never seen this machine work, but the hard drive is definately shot, all other tests seem to pass ok. <
the first test is the motherboard
second is the harddrive >all three sector's< and yes that  is how they layed it out..
if it load's to 
1=either loading game then hang's ?
2=either it say's it is loading game screen ? but hang's
then cycles,ie repeat's it self
3=comes back with a WRONG SERIAL #

these are issuies i would not sujest to a novice

from here i need more detail's..

a=find a person in your home town who can burn an eprom
>i will provide the s/w<
b=my s/w will be a full .img >hard-drive<,if need i can explain jumper setting's etc
c=as i explained the egale :fix: as it is called egale 2.09 goes into a m27c801
maybe shawn can tell me if he had luck with other's ?

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:02:07 pm »
The game does not boot at all, it is looking for IDE hard drive and then restarts. When I power up while pressing start you can go through some other tests and all seem to pass except Hard drive. I took the hard drive out and it doesnt even power up. If I pickup and IDE to COMPACT FLASH adapter, and just an 8 gig compact flash card will I still need the 2.09 boot rom? To what size hard drive are you good to go without requiring the 2.09 boot rom?

What program do you recommend to write the img to the hard drive?

Thanks!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »
tl;dr - in order to run a different "non-IT games"branded hard drive, you must update the bootrom on the board to version 2.09 which fixes the boot sequence to accommodate different hard drives.

extended explanation - the board is set too boot with a specicfic brand and configuration of hard drive. if you clone the drive to the same make and model...no problem...it boots fine. if you clone the original to a different manufacturer/size/format of hard drive, it won't boot properly because the bootrom waits for something to come back from the drive but doesn't receive it. if the eagle bootrom is updated to version 2.09, it fixes it so you can use nearly any drive.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 08:08:32 pm »
thk-u shawn

no what u have on the sick is basicly usless

any windows disk wirting program can handle a .img file
just make sure u mount it ..ie mount it = bootable
and u are good to go

as has been pointed out to u
u will need egal 2.09 or u will need to find the nessary harddrive in the proper range
and that is a pian in the nad's

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 10:08:15 pm »
Excellent. A buddy of mine has a working GT 2005 and he is willing to lend me his hard drive to troubleshoot as long as I can copy everything off of it and write it back when Im done. The hard drive looks exactly the same as the dead one from the complete. As long i don't screw his drive up, but it looks like if I use CHDMAN, I should be good. Thanks again for everything and I look forward to downloading the hard drive image.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 10:48:04 pm »
whoooooo triger
if your is a complete?
it will not work...
it will get to the boot screen
and then it will go to either cycle,ie the thing will try to reboot
or it will go to a very bad red screen >wrong serial id<
if your's is a 05 then make sure ALL of the chip's match as i pointed out to u
or u will be chasing your tail
it is about that simple.
on the other hand if he up-dated 2003-2005/6 then u may be good to go
now rember the harddrive u pick must match the boot rom
if u can get a local guy to burn a new 27c801 then by all means run egal 2.09
and run with it
these unit's are not novice frendily,by any mean's

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 01:47:13 am »
I need the hard drive image from a Complete canadian version.

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 02:24:21 am »
I have dumped the HDD from a 2005 GT if anyone is looking for it.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »
where you at?? i can make you a copy of a GT complete drive, but without an updated eagle ROM, you won't be able to boot it directly....but...there is a glitch in the old bootrom that will make it so it does boot.

what you have to do is hook up a CD rom drive to the board on the second IDE port...the bootrom sees the CD rom drive, tries to boot off the CD...can't because there is nothing there... so it loads the game from the HD.  :applaud:

the only caveat is you have to LEAVE the CD rom drive in there hooked up to boot.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 03:55:29 pm »
thk-u shawn :)
that is what i was getting at..
that is the boot rom walk around
90% of the time i will just place an old cdrom in it >port2<
of the ide..tie it into the  power plug
and leave it
they boot every time,without a hickup
that is the nicks best way of doing it
a=has to stay canadian >u53< can
b=no need to change boot rom
c=olny worrie would be the pic chip...just try to match the u53 can #  ie the chip
will have a mark on it red/green/or no mark at all expect the chip #
it will look like these >gt44-can-u< no red or green marker /g46-can-u used both and green board,last up-date from it's-gameing/gt44-can-u green marked mostely used in green board's<,
so in short make sure the copy  u give match's or u will get very bad red screen
u61 going south >wrong serial #<

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 11:59:11 pm »
I'm in calgary. Maybe if there is a way in an download the file via FTP or drop box I would like to try. I have ordered a 2.09 boot rom on eBay but can try the cd thing for now. It is a complete machine with the CAN chip. My boot rom is 1.8 something. I would donate to someone for their efforts.

Thanks

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 01:58:11 am »
Here is what I have.
U53 G4C-CAN-U
Boot rom u15 v1.06
U26- SB4

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 10:32:46 pm »
i have GTC drives already made up ready to go. i'm in e-town, i can just mail a drive to you. PM me your address.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 11:04:45 pm »
thk-u again shawn :)
just wanted him fixed up

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 12:12:50 am »
so for anybody else who is wondering or searching for a non-booting issue with ANY of the IT games boards with the eagle bootrom after replacing the drive... get yourself a 27C080 ROM... (the original eagle boot ROM was a one write only chip) and write the v2.09 code to it. this will fix the boot issue with the replacement drive. this is why you often see replacement drives being sold on e-bay with a new bootrom included.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,129311.msg1384459.html#msg1384459

the lowbrow technical explanation for the issue is this:

the original drives manufactured by WD had a setting on the drive controller to be compatible with older "dumb" controllers...basically the drive came configurable as "single" drive or "master with slave present". we don't actually do that anymore because the controllers are smarter now and can sense there is another drive on the cable. (thank god for SATA) and allows any other drives connected to pipe up for themselves.

In the olden days, the harddrive, when initialized, waits for a "ready to connect or what??" signal from the system.

so "single" would respond "i'm good to go, let's do this" and then it would boot up

a "master with slave present" would respond with "i'm good to go, let's do this, and also i have a friend that needs to be acknowledged too, here he is" and would shutup and let the other drive send it's "i'm good to go, let's do this".

The problem is, because this is a very stupid and old system, the system relies on the first drive that responds to also say "oh yeah, i have a friend here that needs to be asked if he's ready to go as well." but because this type of handshaking doesn't happen with new drives, the eagle bootrom sits and waits...and waits...and waits for a drive that doesn't exist to respond. Which is stupid because there is no instance where 2 harddrives would ever be connected in this system.

the new version of eagle bootrom sits and waits...and then times out and goes on booting with what it's got.

what throwing a CD rom drive in the mix does, is changes to another boot code section in the rom in preperation to update the software. initializes up the CD rom drive, then queries for the harddrives (ignoring any that dont come online asumingly because they are defective and we will deal with them later in the update screen). the system attempts to boot off the CD (which it does not find) then defaults to the detected drive in order to boot. Which it does.

it's a stupid setup.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:37:19 pm by lilshawn »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 12:22:16 am »
thats the dumb down if i ever heard it... :cheers:
but so fregging true shawn...
u must excuse me well i do this and it by no means is pointed u but to >its-gamming<
 :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
stupied mf's

ed
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:25:19 am by ed12 »

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 01:21:30 am »
You guys are awesome! I just bought this thing and have never seen it work. I'm hoping to get it going soon with all your help! :applaud:

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 09:48:06 am »
Thanks to lilshawn I'm up and running!!!!! Is there a way to set the date? For some reason the machine is at 1987 or something. Also is there a way to change the location city?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 11:00:41 am »
that is your dallas chip
it is going south
replace it with a new 1

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 01:25:44 pm »
I have one otw from mouser. Will it just know the date somehow or do enter it in?

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »
otw=one time writeable
once u insert it
u will get a second screen..
set time date location etc

but try this first
hardrboot machine and at the same time hold down the start button
this will take u to a full new test screen...
u might beable to set your time and date there
if u cannot the dallas is gone south

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 01:15:49 am »
I can't find a way to adjust the date anywhere. I should have left it alone. I took out the chip, then put it back in  and I think that is what caused the issue. Not sure why I did that, oh we'll.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:25:38 am by mclovin »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:03 am »
did u do the trick as i asked ?

ed

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 06:27:08 pm »
yeah, i think if you press and hold the start button while you power on, the system will enter a test mode. you may be able to test/set the RTC from there.

if you set the time/date and the RTC doesn't retain the settings after you power off for a while, the battery in the RTC chip is dead and will need to be replaced.

you can just plunk the part number into mouser or wherever you like to buy parts at and get a replacement. they still make them.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 06:56:47 pm »
yes
and for lord's sake do not buy it off of fleabay
u want a fresh 1

ed

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 12:57:44 am »
I tried the start trick and no go. The only way to adjust location and time seems to be through ITNET menus which is obviously disabled.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 11:31:50 am »
i think if u dig far enough into our fourms
u will find a thread where shawn speaks of a proggie for ledbrite >your-sign<
there is more then what i attached

ed
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:34:38 am by ed12 »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 12:50:22 pm »
 ???
now i'm lost.

I wouldn't worry about the time/date (as it was just used mainly for the online competitions.) so much as the retention of the system settings.

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • GT newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 04:55:57 pm »
Put the new Dallas chip in today. The date is Still at 1971 but It's no big Deal.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:16:01 am by mclovin »

wannabeerased

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2015, 08:44:46 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 08:11:50 am »
Hi Ed, I'm curious as to what you meant by "stay away from egal 2.04 or u had better have a phone line hooked up as it is a crappy build".

I've just picked up a non-working GT Fore 2005 and I'm currently working on getting it back up and running.  It turns out I'm running the 2.04 ROM (Red board).  I'm considering ordering a 2.09 from hobbyroms though as that seems to be the go.  My HDD has stopped reading so I think I might need to get 2.09 and put in a replacement drive.

I guess I'd still like to hear what makes the 2.04 build so bad (aside from not being able to run any HDD you wish)?

(Hopefully this thread is't too old to be reviving, it's still on the front page...)

shinynick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2015, 07:03:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 04:08:30 pm »
Hello I know this is an old thread but I am also looking for an image of GT Fore! Complete - is it available anywhere for download?
I'm trying to repair a bunch of GT boards.
I have a GT Coplete board, Canadian, Green Board, 2.09 boot ROM.
ED12 you mentioned in May that you may be able to upload this to dropbox, please let me know if its available!

Thanks!

Nick

wannabeerased

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2015, 08:44:46 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing!
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
I'm still watching this topic too, let us know if you find anything.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 08:04:03 pm »
shinynick
I know I said I would upload it
but I was side tracked, i will be doing complete's this week
so chime in mid week and remind me please

ed