Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ML-1 discussion thread  (Read 14444 times)

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
ML-1 discussion thread
« on: February 28, 2014, 04:31:28 pm »
ML-1's have a 3 year warranty... so it will just take a little longer to get screwed.

However, I do see your point....

What do we need to do to clone it?

Wouldn't I have to buy a 'MERIT' drive for it too work in the game?

If you wanted a copy for forensic purposes...wouldn't it need to be a MERIT drive too?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:50:41 pm by lilshawn »

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:10:40 pm
Re: MX-1 discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 05:09:22 pm »
ML-1's have a 3 year warranty... so it will just take a little longer to get screwed.

However, I do see your point....

What do we need to do to clone it?

Wouldn't I have to buy a 'MERIT' drive for it too work in the game?

If you wanted a copy for forensic purposes...wouldn't it need to be a MERIT drive too?

Ion 2014 software does not need "MERIT" hard drives to run. It does check, but only to trigger the non official hard drive warning. It will still install and run perfectly fine. Even better if your using a SSD hard drive.

I would assume the live software does not require a "MERIT" hard drive either.

If you want to clone the hard drive, the best way would be to remove it and connect it to a different computer as a slave drive and use a dos clone utility like ghost for linux (G4L). Im sure there are many others, its just one that ive used for years.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 06:17:01 pm »
I am willing to try and copy the drive for the both of us but the new software is still being implemented and I would need to ' borrow' a game from a location to do it and would also need more info on how...so it will be some time before that happens.

Are you saying I can buy something like this and install it in an ION and have it run fine?

http://www.crucial.com/store/ssd.aspx?cm_mmc=bing-_-us-_-ssd-_-null&ef_id=UufVKAAABejKIo5c:20140228230602:s

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 06:25:06 pm »
I am willing to try and copy the drive for the both of us but the new software is still being implemented and I would need to ' borrow' a game from a location to do it and would also need more info on how...so it will be some time before that happens.

Are you saying I can buy something like this and install it in an ION and have it run fine?

http://www.crucial.com/store/ssd.aspx?cm_mmc=bing-_-us-_-ssd-_-null&ef_id=UufVKAAABejKIo5c:20140228230602:s

Yes that hard drive will work with the ASUS and INTEL Motherboards. The purple ECS motherboard would need a IDE-SATA adapter.

Let me know when you are able to pull the hard drive on a ML-1 and i will step you through it.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 08:53:44 pm »
or u could do it this way,which is even cheaper and a win win for you at the end run
usb to ide/sata stand alone harddrive duplicator
now before any one goes off on me note the :usb: part
that is so u can set the unit to copy to cdrom in your putter if u so wish,and or
to a .dir of your liking..
mfg is startech.com
the name is the model #
makes life a breeze

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:55:56 pm »
A friend just bought a brand new ML-1 to put on location and it has been updated (according to the distributor). Well after playing a few games on it I found some bugs in the new software.

When I went to select "Trivia Whiz" I got to the point where I push the 'start' button on screen and it locked up with just a white screen and a spinning circle. Could not do anything else. I let it sit there for 15 minutes and I still could not do anything. No response to touchscreen, credit switches ignored, simply locked up tight. So I had to power off the machine, wait a minute, then power on again. After what seems like forever (the boot up sequence takes a good ten minutes at least) it came back up fine.

Then my friend tried Tri-towers and Run 21 and they both locked up too. We did the same procedure of powering down and back up again then the machine played fine. I think there must be some bugs in the software.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:12:20 pm »
well ken that kinda goes without saying  :laugh2:
but thk's for the heads up

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 07:54:44 am »
Thanks for the info.... I have purple boarded IONs with that dreaded IDE/SATA adapter.

According  to this MERIT bulletin the final ML-1 software version is to be 3.5.1 but I have noticed that a couple of ours have version 3.5.21.9505.  So what is the final 'final' version?  :dunno

http://www.accessmerit.com/General/Announcement%20Update_2.17.14.pdf
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:57:40 am by smartbomb2084 »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 08:43:53 am »
They really should just release a f-ing final version iso image to download and burn onto dvd's. I havent seen a ML-1 but im sure you can connect a sata dvd drive to it.

Why care if someone download directly to machine or to disc. Makes no sense if they are jumping ship anyway.

EDIT: de-sailored per BYOAC rule #2 http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_message_rules.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:08:02 pm by lilshawn »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
mahkeymike
where u are right in the fact they should just send out a iso,
and i do think they said as much in there news release.
u just have to rember anything that rowe ami gets there fingers in becomes
a cluster f- in 0 time flat..

ed

EDIT: de-sailored per BYOAC rule #2 http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_message_rules.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:08:22 pm by lilshawn »

pivheng

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2019, 02:03:03 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:55 am »
Hi does anyone know how to clone the hard drive from Megatouch ML 1. I've updated to the final version. Now I want to clone the drive for future backup. The ML 1 used BITLOCKER to locked the drive and i wonder if you can bypass it.

Thanks in advance! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »
Hi does anyone know how to clone the hard drive from Megatouch ML 1. I've updated to the final version. Now I want to clone the drive for future backup. The ML 1 used BITLOCKER to locked the drive and i wonder if you can bypass it.

You need to connect the drive to a computer and use a hard drive clone utility like G4L (ghost 4 linux). It will copy bit for bit to a new hard drive. It doesnt matter if the data is encypted with bitlocker or any other encryption software. Bitlocker is just to prevent peeping tom's from snooping around the data on the hard drive.

pivheng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 05:53:00 pm »

You need to connect the drive to a computer and use a hard drive clone utility like G4L (ghost 4 linux). It will copy bit for bit to a new hard drive. It doesnt matter if the data is encypted with bitlocker or any other encryption software. Bitlocker is just to prevent peeping tom's from snooping around the data on the hard drive.

Thanks mahkeymike, sadly I don't have linux. I've connected to my Windows 8 and I see 6 partitions. 4 are Locked 1 for boot up and and for Recovery. Here is the screenshot

The Megatouch ML 1 come with Toshiba 320GB. I'm going to get 480GB SSD to clone it because the boot time for the Game took 6 mins and 20 sec .

http://postimg.org/image/tu9p9bzfn/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:56:55 pm by pivheng »

Peja

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2015, 04:48:22 pm
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 06:25:45 pm »
Unless I am mistaken, those partitions are all linux partitions.  That drive for your machine boots up in Linus as its OS.  If you get that program he was talking about, you can clone that drive on your windows machine and restore that clone onto a new drive for your backup.  That program should install in windows just fine.

If I am way off, forget everything I just said.

Hatz

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 06:32:13 pm »
G4L is a stand alone cd bootable freeware utility. There may even be usb bootable versions now. I use an old copy i have on a cd to clone hard drives. Theres an option to clone from one drive to another on the fly. You would just need another drive the same size or larger. I would go for another that is slightly larger by a few gigs just to be safe.

And btw, damn 320gb. I wonder how much of that is used up and real data. I really wanted to get my hands on an image of the hard drive after the forever kit was installed.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:35:13 pm by mahkeymike »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:39:31 pm »
it is native linux
to copy in windows u must move to master or slave
so u will never get the mbr
i d/l gl4 and its native linux + win32 bit,yes there is 1
it is called grub4dos and bootloader
these are the olny 3 programs u need in windows to run gl4
gl4 comes as an iso  which u can run from a usb stick..they even explain to do just that
thk-u mahkeymike
for the heads up on gl4
i need to add 1 more for a total of 4
winb2006.exe
these 4 will get u going in win32
for linux u olny need gl4/grubdos to run it in and the bootloader to format the usb stick
sorry if i confused u

ed
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:16:06 pm by ed12 »

pivheng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »
Thanks for the info.

@
G4L is a stand alone cd bootable freeware utility. There may even be usb bootable versions now. I use an old copy i have on a cd to clone hard drives. Theres an option to clone from one drive to another on the fly. You would just need another drive the same size or larger. I would go for another that is slightly larger by a few gigs just to be safe.

And btw, damn 320gb. I wonder how much of that is used up and real data. I really wanted to get my hands on an image of the hard drive after the forever kit was installed.

@mahkeymike I think there is a glitch when i play around with the ML-1 System Menu. I can access all the drive see screenshot.

http://postimg.org/image/l9dzbylsj/
http://postimg.org/image/vi4axs0f7/
http://postimg.org/image/jydl1wcr7/

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 03:02:14 pm »
i've split off this thread as it's gone a little off track here. (announcing closure) 

here y'all go

:cheers:

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »
i've split off this thread as it's gone a little off track here. (announcing closure) 

here y'all go

:cheers:

When did the "MX-1" come out shawn? :P

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 03:32:27 pm »

@mahkeymike I think there is a glitch when i play around with the ML-1 System Menu. I can access all the drive see screenshot.

Can you view the data on the partitions from the ML-1? Curious to see the data structure. I heard its windows based but ive yet to even see a ML-1 in person. No bars/sports bars...ect...ect have one. They are all still using force and ion machines.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: ML-1 discussion thread
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 04:52:15 pm »
oopsie fixed.  :lol  i'm tired and it's only...thursday?

ugh, thank god.  ;) feels like monday.

pivheng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 05:01:57 pm »

Can you view the data on the partitions from the ML-1? Curious to see the data structure. I heard its windows based but ive yet to even see a ML-1 in person. No bars/sports bars...ect...ect have one. They are all still using force and ion machines.

Here is the video and screenshot for the data struture. The only drive I can not view is Content.  I try plug in a USB flash drive and it pop up. I can copy any files data from any of those drive except Content drive. I copy the Grimm Photo Hunt to the flash drive and plug it in my windows 8 computer. I double click the g_grimm_photo_hunt.exe and nothing happen. @mahkeymike if you want those file and test it out i can zip it and send it to you.  :applaud: :applaud:

http://postimg.org/image/je8xkd7mp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ACwIH0kce4&feature=youtu.be

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 12:01:48 am »
If you could image those partitions including that "content" partition that would be awesome. I really want to check this system out since theres so much resources out there for windows then the force and ion software that is linux based. I know my way around linux but my day2day os of choice is windows 8.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 10:17:04 am »
I double click the g_grimm_photo_hunt.exe and nothing happen. @mahkeymike if you want those file and test it out i can zip it and send it to you. 

Looks like it uses the Unity 3.2 engine. You need to copy over the "C:/DATA/WORK/Unity" folder data and you might be able to get it running.

pivheng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 03:48:12 pm »
Now i managed to clone the ML-1 drive without any error but when i take the clone drive and plug it in the ML-1 game. During the boot up the ML-1 rendering the new hard drive and it loading to 98% then a screen pop up with errors.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 04:41:30 pm »
Now i managed to clone the ML-1 drive without any error but when i take the clone drive and plug it in the ML-1 game. During the boot up the ML-1 rendering the new hard drive and it loading to 98% then a screen pop up with errors.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What do the errors say?

pivheng

• Offline Offline

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 10:07:43 am »
I need to see  rest of the JIT debugging message in that last pic. Its possible that #1. they put hard drive checks back into there software. Or #2 some files got corrupted during cloneing.(rare but possible). Theres a few ways you could go about this. #1. try and clone it again. #2. Get a exact size/model hard drive and swap the circuit board on the bottom of the drive. (be very careful doing this) If you try the second option it will prove if theres hard drive checking in place or not. Also will prove if the cloneing was sucessful.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 10:30:37 am »
/r=root dose it not ?

ed

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 11:18:43 am »
According to merit tech support a cloned ML-1 hard drive won't work in the game... Now they could be just saying that to discourage copying but after reading this thread it may be true... :dunno

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:31 am »
nope
i am sure it brings us back to that layer i was on about..
it is a modified verision of linux..this much i am very sure of..
where on some of the merit's ion/etc i have done 1-1 with my stand alone cloner
but the drives had to be set in the same mode :cable select:,and within the same size range.
but i am yet to try your 00, 01, 02. range set u have talked about :id:.

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 02:37:14 pm »
nope
i am sure it brings us back to that layer i was on about..
it is a modified verision of linux..this much i am very sure of..
where on some of the merit's ion/etc i have done 1-1 with my stand alone cloner
but the drives had to be set in the same mode :cable select:,and within the same size range.
but i am yet to try your 00, 01, 02. range set u have talked about :id:.

ed

You can use any hard drive that is at least 80gb with all Ion software. It has hard drive checking, but does not prevent you from using a non official hard drivea as long as its 40gb (2009) 60gb (2010) 80gb (2011-2014).

As for the ML-1, if they put hard drive checking to prevent using non official hard drives then the easiest solution is to get the exact same brand/model/size hard drive and swap the circuit board underneath it. You could also clone the bios/rom/nand chip on the hard drives circuit board and problem solved.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 03:04:10 pm »
yes
and u answered your own statment..
but for the noviecs it is a tad harder..
that said,if the rom is not bad on the donor drive ?
then a copy is all u really need
of the bios rom of course.
unless they have hard-coded into the bios of the machine,what drive's will and will not work,
by this it means :sector's: :"size of the parition:" and type of landing spot ">>sector 0<<
but from there yes the hard-drive control board can be swaped drive to drive
if u have bad sector's ?
i know it sounds tech..but please reread it a few time's
it will sink in..
to change the control board >the 1 under the hard drive for me is a cake walk<
i just do not want to see a novice try it willy nilly like..the nick would end up with 2 very bad drive's..
your idea of the sector control is bang on..please inculde insurctions for noviecs to linux
u know kernel/push/how to get to root/ etc etc

ed

pivheng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 03:47:54 pm »
I'm really disappointed the ML-1. The machine cost more than $3000+ and yet they use all the cheap hardware, especially the hard drive. They could of add SSD to the ML-1. ML-1 came with Toshiba 320gb 5400RPM and it took more than 6 mins to boot up to the main screen. Some of the new HD game are really lag if you press it too fast. like, Tri Tower II, Tri Castle II, etc.  :cry: :cry:

i'm thinking of going back to the RX.  :applaud:

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 04:15:45 pm »
pivheng
this is realy where it gets tec.. it comes down to the board and driver's etc..
u may have ssd port,but with out the proper driver's it will not look at it,at all.
it's about that simple
now we have beem chatting about walk around's
which work perfect
just need to find our way

ed

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 12:13:27 am »
I'm really disappointed the ML-1. The machine cost more than $3000+ and yet they use all the cheap hardware, especially the hard drive. They could of add SSD to the ML-1. ML-1 came with Toshiba 320gb 5400RPM and it took more than 6 mins to boot up to the main screen. Some of the new HD game are really lag if you press it too fast. like, Tri Tower II, Tri Castle II, etc.  :cry: :cry:

i'm thinking of going back to the RX.  :applaud:

I would.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:21:16 pm by mahkeymike »

pivheng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 12:27:25 am »
mahkeymike
Here are the JIT debugging message screenshot i took.

pix 1-5  http://postimg.org/image/co3fk8spv/

pix 6-10  http://postimg.org/image/k5tvcbhfv/

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 07:04:03 am »
Can you copy over the "C:/Users/AMI/megatouch/tools" And "C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net" folders?
I could take a look at the files that were called with .Net Reflector and VBReformer.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:23 pm »
Ken Layton
this is a very bad problem with there new :final: s/w
u MUST USE S/W 4 AND 8 to place it in recovery mode
it will get there and run with no hickup's

mahkeymike
once the harddrive is reged with merit
u cannot get a second copy >for that sa-key-serial#<
which is read out through the up-date >final<

the jit .net error is the server saying thank's but no thank's
as they remove it on there way out

it is akin to windows xp stuff/dos/windows3.1 etc

your walk around is to replace the file's >proul there< in question

ed

pivheng

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 04:21:58 pm »
Can you copy over the "C:/Users/AMI/megatouch/tools" And "C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net" folders?
I could take a look at the files that were called with .Net Reflector and VBReformer.

mahkeymike
what is your email i can send you all the file from the Tool and Microsoft .NetFrame Folders

Ed
I read the ML-1 manual on page 39 Swapping hard drive. it show when a new hard drive is detected on an ML-1 the system will recongnize the new hard drive during boot up and display the SYSTEM RESET MENU. I wonder if the new hard drive is from (MEGATOUCH) ??? ???

http://www.megatouch.com/support/ml-1/ML1_Manual.pdf
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:29:51 pm by pivheng »