Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRTEmuDriver for Windows 7 test results  (Read 78554 times)

lettuce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
Re: CRTEmuDriver for Windows 7 test results
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:20 am »
I had the same issue when I switched to Windows 7.  But I have a multisync monitor (Betson) so I'm thinking it's OK?  I have an out of sync error message that pops up on the monitor.

I'll give that boot option a shot when I get home...

bulbousbeard, I've included my RegMdIns.txt and ReslList.txt files below as requested.

In theory this is correct but multisync monitor are not design to be switched between frequencies so rapidly and so frequently as windows would cause the monitor to do and would more than likely fail within  a year or so due to the stress put on the monitor. That why the monitors i bought are just 15khz and not multi sync...i guess another route is get a 31khz monitor

cyb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 04:25:20 pm
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2014, 12:09:27 am »
Am I doing the proper procedure to automatically rotate vertical games? In mame ini, under core switchres options, I set orientation to "rotate" but when I started any vertical game it would freeze at "initializing". If I set orientation to "horizontal" I can start vertical games in horizontal mode and then rotate it under display options and they work fine.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2014, 05:29:38 am »
Am I doing the proper procedure to automatically rotate vertical games? In mame ini, under core switchres options, I set orientation to "rotate" but when I started any vertical game it would freeze at "initializing". If I set orientation to "horizontal" I can start vertical games in horizontal mode and then rotate it under display options and they work fine.

Well it shouldn't freeze at all. But anyway, try deleting the cfg files (inside the cfg folder): if you've been rotating the game from the ui these changes are saved in the cfg files that may in turn mess with the -orientation option. Besides, you should use "rotate_r" or "rotate_l" instead, to avoid some games being upside down.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

cyb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:53 pm »
I think I figured it out. when I use a 2560 x 240 super resolution, groovymame freezes when loading a vertical game with orientation  set to "rotate_l" or "rotate_r" in mame.ini. However, if I use a 1280x240 resolution it loads the game just fine. Do I really even need to use 2560x240,256, etc. super resolutions instead of 1280x240? I can't really tell a difference between the two.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
I had the same issue when I switched to Windows 7.  But I have a multisync monitor (Betson) so I'm thinking it's OK?  I have an out of sync error message that pops up on the monitor.

I'll give that boot option a shot when I get home...

bulbousbeard, I've included my RegMdIns.txt and ReslList.txt files below as requested.

In theory this is correct but multisync monitor are not design to be switched between frequencies so rapidly and so frequently as windows would cause the monitor to do and would more than likely fail within  a year or so due to the stress put on the monitor. That why the monitors i bought are just 15khz and not multi sync...i guess another route is get a 31khz monitor

I heard people saying this and talked to an TV Technician who repaired arcade monitors for more than 20 years. He said that the monitor can take the stress. Any reason why he could be wrong?

cyb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2014, 06:45:29 pm »
I think I figured it out. when I use a 2560 x 240 super resolution, groovymame freezes when loading a vertical game with orientation  set to "rotate_l" or "rotate_r" in mame.ini. However, if I use a 1280x240 resolution it loads the game just fine. Do I really even need to use 2560x240,256, etc. super resolutions instead of 1280x240? I can't really tell a difference between the two.

Did some more testing and I CAN automatically rotate vert games with 2560x0 resolutions, I just forgot to set aspect to 4:3 in the ini.

Andypc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2021, 11:25:45 am
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2014, 05:06:37 am »
Huge thanks to Calamity and everyone helping to test these drivers. I am about to re-install Retrorepair's set-up s on a new larger hard drive and wondered where to grab the most up to date version of the drivers and software.

Do I need to compile a special version of Groovymame to use with these drivers? 

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2014, 06:00:00 am »

planexcvs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2019, 11:47:57 pm
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:07 am »
Finally giving this a go, but I'm getting stuck on step 4.5. I've tried redoing the steps again and I've installed Calamity's emudriver as an administrator. Every time I do the swap from Nanao MS9 back to my LCD monitor, it shows the full native resolution (which is 1920 x 1200 @ 60hz it seems) rather than the expected 30hz.

When I get to show all modes from the screen properties, the lowest setting I see is 640x480 at 50hz, and there are no 30hz options. I tried 50hz and plugging it back into the Nanao via J-Pac, but I get a flickering triple screen.

The LCD I'm using doesn't have a VGA plug in so I have to use an HDMI-DVI adapter to connect to the HDMI and I'm wondering if that's screwing the whole process up.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2014, 06:20:22 am »
So your LCD only has HDMI?
No DVI to connect to?
What card are you using?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2014, 06:54:23 am »
The LCD I'm using doesn't have a VGA plug in so I have to use an HDMI-DVI adapter to connect to the HDMI and I'm wondering if that's screwing the whole process up.

Yes, this is probably the problem. You need to operate on an analog output, either VGA or DVI-I (not DVI-D). For this task, I  think you can't use a digital-only monitor (I've never had one).
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

planexcvs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:49 pm »
So your LCD only has HDMI?
No DVI to connect to?
What card are you using?

Radeon HD 4550. My LCD has a DVI-D, but not DVI-I per Calamity's suggestion.

Yes, this is probably the problem. You need to operate on an analog output, either VGA or DVI-I (not DVI-D). For this task, I  think you can't use a digital-only monitor (I've never had one).

Ah ok. That sounds like the problem. My monitor only has DVI-D, HDMI and Display Port. I'll have to get another monitor with VGA from Craigslist or the junkyard.

planexcvs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:13 am »
Ok, I got a monitor with a vga port. Uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled again. Did the monitor swap and was able to switch over to 30hz interlaced, 640x480 true color once. Plugged in the arcade monitor and turned it on, wasn't able to see anything so I couldn't keep the settings after selecting apply. It also caused my LCD monitor to go out of frequency range so I had to use a third monitor to see what happened and start over.

The arcade monitor seems to be out of frequency now, because I only get a picture during boot, but not on Windows login or desktop. I re-tried the steps again and noticed when I checked to see all modes, I no longer get the 30hz interlaced option. Only 50, 59, 60, 75 and 85hz.

I'm baffled as to what to do next if the Nanao won't even show a flickering image beyond the boot screens.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2014, 04:41:07 am »
I'm baffled as to what to do next if the Nanao won't even show a flickering image beyond the boot screens.

I'd say you're using the wrong output. Switch to the other one, probably the DVI-I by means of a DVI-VGA adapter.
Steps to create a log:

planexcvs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2014, 11:06:25 am »
Actually, I've been using the same output (DVI). My adapter is a DVI-A-VGA adapter which should work like a DVI-I.  The only other output I have is a display port.

I'll try again with uninstalling and reinstalling everything through the VGA monitor.

When I do the swap back to the arcade monitor after selecting 30khz, should the monitor already be on or it doesn't matter?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:57:07 am by Calamity »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2014, 11:58:04 am »
(Sorry planexcvs, I accidentally edited your post when answering)

Actually, I've been using the same output (DVI). My adapter is a DVI-A-VGA adapter which should work like a DVI-I.  The only other output I have is a display port.

Oh I see. I haven't seen cards like that, all the ones I've used had either VGA+DVI or DVI+DVI.

I'll try again with uninstalling and reinstalling everything through the VGA monitor.

My advice is not reinstalling the driver again, it will consume your time for nothing. It is a matter of setting the proper resolution to the proper output, that's all.

When I do the swap back to the arcade monitor after selecting 30khz, should the monitor already be on or it doesn't matter?

I'd say it doesn't matter.

Somewhere above in this thread I posted a new version of ArcadeOSD that might help you setting the right resolution.

Steps to create a log:

planexcvs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2014, 01:03:22 am »
Edit: Nevermind. Realized I needed to connect the keyboard plug from the Jpac to get rid of the rolling picture.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:24:44 am by planexcvs »

planexcvs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:42 pm »
Ok so I was able to get the desktop to display clearly on the Nanao MS9, albeit not permanently. Probably a similar problem to retrorepair. Using ArcadeOSD to keep the resolution is not working for me. I guess maybe it's showing green screen and static? I had to use the 640x480 30khz option from show all modes which would show up fine on the Nanao.

It seems to desync if Windows goes to sleep or after a reboot. I swapped back to the LCD once, which it went out of range and swapped to the Nanao where it worked again, but now that's not working either.

I realized I had magic resolutions enabled and disabled that in VMMaker.ini which enables static. Any Catalyst is set to 1. Mindotclock is set to 8.0. I ran VMMaker. I seem to be stuck where it's generating a static mode table. How long is that supposed to take? Because it's been over an hour since it's doing that. I do have a full mame rom set (20000+).

Windows went to sleep on the Nanao and lost it's sync, so I had to switch back to the LCD and now my interlaced resolution options or any options,  it seems, that I could use for the arcade monitor are all gone. What I should do to get those back without reinstalling the driver?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2014, 01:20:22 pm »
Hi planexcvs,

You really don't want to create a static mode table, it will fail (too many variants). Create a *dynamic* mode table instead.

Your problem sounds like a detection problem, same as Retrorepair's. Probably using the resistors trick will work.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:48 am »
I've moved the custom EDID messages (by Cools, Doozer, Elvis, etc.) to a separate thread, so they can be found more easily in the future:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140215.msg1447520.html#msg1447520
Steps to create a log:

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »
I've been away for a longtime and wanted to upgrade my version of groovymame Mame. hyperspin build etc.. I noticed this thread about windows 7 testing and its got me curious. If I upgraded from XP 64 bit to win 7 64 will it work the same as my current setup? I have an ATI 4850 and Bil labs quad sync monitor.

Sledge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »
I've been away for a longtime and wanted to upgrade my version of groovymame Mame. hyperspin build etc.. I noticed this thread about windows 7 testing and its got me curious. If I upgraded from XP 64 bit to win 7 64 will it work the same as my current setup? I have an ATI 4850 and Bil labs quad sync monitor.
It SHOULD... maybe a LITTLE harder to get going.. if you don't get any issues...
all i can suggest is image your HDD as it is, then give it a go.. If you're not happy, then it's easy to switch back.

theillest

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2016, 02:34:31 am
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »
Hi Guys,
awesome thread you got going here.  As a noob that is starting from scratch can you point me to the right links of software and utilities that I'll need? GroovyMame version? VMMaker? ArcadeOSD? what ever else i need :)

So far i have a win7 64-bit system with an ATI x600.

Sorry for asking for so much, alot of the instructions I've read are a little over a year old and include instruction for soft15kz which i don't know if it is still instructions.  Thanks a bunch!! :)

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:36 am »
You'll need a new graphics card, the x600 isn't supported.

theillest

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2016, 02:34:31 am
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2014, 04:18:09 pm »
You'll need a new graphics card, the x600 isn't supported.
can you point me in the right direction?  I seen x600 on the emu drivers list of campatible cards, however i know this doesn't necessarily pertain to W7 64-bit.  is there a better list I should reference?

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2014, 05:37:31 pm »
A HD 4xxx.

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »
I tried installing the CRTEmuDriver for Windows 7. Windows 7 gave a message about not allowing two of the drivers to install as they did not have the correct driver signature, however it completed and installed the main driver. After installing Windows 7 started booting to the "Windows Boot Menu" and you had to press "Enter" for Windows to continue booting. Windows 7 had been booting direct into windows before installing the driver. I was able to get a stable 15Khz picture on my arcade machine, but I can't see the boot menu to know when to press "Enter". In trying to solve the boot issue, Window 7 restored to earlier point, before the the CRTEmuDriver had installed :banghead:

I tried a couple of things to stop the Boot Menu appearing and finally tried:-

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no

This caused windows not to boot correctly and restore. Why did installing CRTEmuDriver cause the Boot Menu to appear.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2014, 04:26:00 am »
awesome thread you got going here.  As a noob that is starting from scratch can you point me to the right links of software and utilities that I'll need? GroovyMame version? VMMaker? ArcadeOSD? what ever else i need :)

Hi theillest,

For VMMaker & ArcadeOSD, use the ones contained in the package here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138903.msg1440986.html#msg1440986

For GroovyMAME, always the most recent version.

You can use any HD 2xxx, HD 3xxx or HD 4xxx, but you should go for an HD 4xxx.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2014, 04:29:09 am »
This caused windows not to boot correctly and restore. Why did installing CRTEmuDriver cause the Boot Menu to appear.

Maybe you didn't let the installer finish and restarted the system when W7 prompted you to do so? This prevents the installer from enabling "test mode", which is necessary in order to use modded drivers with W7. Not sure though, I hadn't seen this issue before.
Steps to create a log:

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2014, 05:33:42 am »
I went right through to the "Test Mode" ok, before restarting windows. The driver appear to have installed ok as I got 640x480@30Hz to display correctly on my arcade monitor. The system just started going into the Boot Menu everytime and needed you to press "Enter to load windows 7. Trying to remove that and boot straight into windows caused the restore. Are all the drivers supposed to install? Should I disabled driver verification before installing?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2014, 06:22:39 am »
I went right through to the "Test Mode" ok, before restarting windows. The driver appear to have installed ok as I got 640x480@30Hz to display correctly on my arcade monitor. The system just started going into the Boot Menu everytime and needed you to press "Enter to load windows 7. Trying to remove that and boot straight into windows caused the restore. Are all the drivers supposed to install? Should I disabled driver verification before installing?

The driver contains 3 "infs", probably for different chipsets. Only 1 out of 3 will get installed, the others will be reported as unneeded. So that is not the problem. Driver verification (test signing) only applies to the boot process so it's just fine to disable it after installing the driver, as the installer does. My understanding is that the issue you're seeing can't be related to the driver. Have you connected a normal monitor when the boot menu is shown to check is there's any error message?
Steps to create a log:

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2014, 07:09:15 am »
The driver contains 3 "infs", probably for different chipsets. Only 1 out of 3 will get installed, the others will be reported as unneeded. So that is not the problem. Driver verification (test signing) only applies to the boot process so it's just fine to disable it after installing the driver, as the installer does. My understanding is that the issue you're seeing can't be related to the driver. Have you connected a normal monitor when the boot menu is shown to check is there's any error message?
Yes and there is no error message, just the "Boot Menu" you normally have if you have more than one operating system installed, even though there is only one option (Windows 7). Also you have to press "Enter" to continue, it doesn't count down for 30 Sec's and then load anyway.

I will try and install the driver again and see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:11:44 am by Andypc »

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2014, 08:54:50 am »
I just reinstalled the drivers and it's now booting straight to Window 7 and I have it displaying on my arcade monitor :) Looking at the Device Manager it still shows that the Display Adapter doesn't have a driver installed. Is that correct?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:16 am »
I just reinstalled the drivers and it's now booting straight to Window 7 and I have it displaying on my arcade monitor :) Looking at the Device Manager it still shows that the Display Adapter doesn't have a driver installed. Is that correct?

No, you should have a driver installed. I wonder if you had UAC enabled as recommended during driver installation and made sure the installer has admin rights etc.
Steps to create a log:

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2014, 10:27:17 am »
How do I enable UAC?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:47 am »
How do I enable UAC?

It should be enabled unless you disabled it.
Steps to create a log:

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »
I disabled UAC right after installing Windows. No point having it on the cab machine imo

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »
The driver had installed correctly,  it was the on board graphics that still needed a driver installed. Unfortunately the shift function is not working on the J-pac Retrorepair modded. I have been in touch with Andy at Ultimarc and have ordered another J-pac. I'm hoping the mod can be done to the VGA cable rather than mod another J-pac?

Is there any risk to the chassis or graphics card by adding the resistors?

Please excuse me if this has been covered before, but I'm new to Grooymame.  I ran VMmaker but not with the super resolutions and all seemed to go well. Some game run fine in Groovymame, however some i.e. Irem games (Kung Fu Master, R-Type are squashed in the centre of the screen and other PGM & CPS2 (Knights Of Valour 2, Xmen Vs Street Fighter)  are cutting of half the picture. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:56:17 pm by Andypc »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:59 am »
Hi Andypc,

So you didn't need to add the resistors? Are you using the same j-pac still? Maybe the shift function is not working because there's an stuck button, that's a common cause. I don't know if the there's any risk to damage the chassis, never did this mod myself.

Regarding GM, please open a separate thread, post a log (groovymame romname -v >romname.txt) so we can see what's going on.
Steps to create a log:

Andypc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2014, 04:34:09 am »
I'm still using the J-pac with the resistors until  the new one arrives. Am going to mod the VGA cable on the new one rather than the J-pac.  All the buttons are working fine and the self test shows no problems, but shift function not working  :(