Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Router Bit Question  (Read 2735 times)

Baezl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 08:52:44 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Router Bit Question
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »
Hey there, I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.  I am going to build a bartop and wanted to round the edges.  I seen some videos on youtube where people use a roundover bit but had a couple questions.

I am going to use 1/2" MDF and was not quite sure on the size of bit to buy.  Can someone suggest a size?  I been reading through the forums but I cannot find much discussion for 1/2" and bit size.

When you use a roundover bit, is the wood/mdf flipped and is it done to both sides?

Another question, after I build my main template, do you use a pattern bit or flush trim bit to replicate the second side? 

Any help is highly appreciated.  Until then, I will keep trying to search for more info.

Thanks

Luis

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Router Bit Question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:50:59 pm »
If your material is 1/2" then you would use a 1/4" round-over bit.  Yes, you route the first side, flip the material, then route the other side.

Baezl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:05:54 pm »
Thank you!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:05:56 pm »
When I did my cabinet, I cut out the first side and used it as a template.  Traced it onto the second piece of wood.  Cut a little outside the line.  Then I clamped the two together and used a sander to bring them even with each other.

A pattern bit or flush trim would have made this MUCH easier.  ;D

Baezl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »
Thanks for all the input!!  Through different post on this site, I printed out a side template I found on this forum at kinkos to scale.  I cut it with scissors and taped it to thick card stock and cut it out.  Used it to draw the template.  Time to buy some tools for the weekend.  I got three attempts on this one piece of wood.  Thanks again. It is highly appreciated.  I'm on this forum everyday!  I went down this rabbit hole and now I am addicted.

Thanks

Luis

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:39:03 pm »
A couple pieces of advice:
1). When cutting the straight lines use a straight edge of some type.  Many of us use Flush Trim bits to cut along straight lines.  For you, you could clamp a board down X inches from the cut all the way along.  That way the cut is uniform without you have to "eye" it.
2). Do some cuts on practice wood, whether it be scraps or anything else.  You need to get a feel for how to move the router.  If you don't think you can make the curved lines well, route 1/4" to 1/8" away from them and then SAND the finished product to the line

Baezl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:54:54 am »
Thanks for all the input!!  After I was happy with my template, I took everyone's advice, practiced on scrap and went to town.  The initial template was a lot of work but came out good.

Now I traced it on MDF, rough cut it and used a router with a flush trim bit.  Easier than I thought!!

Picked up the router below new from sears for $41.  Saw it on slickdeals yesterday morning so jumped on it. 

Thanks again!!

Luis

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:26:21 pm »
Just ran across this little gem.  Looks like it will round over both sides of a 3/4" panel in one pass.  Would work for 1/2" as well, giving a shallower curve, which may be desirable.  The only hitch is that it's not practical for a "one off", as a proper template is necessary.  But for multiples, it looks like it would be just the ticket.

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:42:18 pm »
Just ran across this little gem.  Looks like it will round over both sides of a 3/4" panel in one pass.  Would work for 1/2" as well, giving a shallower curve, which may be desirable.  The only hitch is that it's not practical for a "one off", as a proper template is necessary.  But for multiples, it looks like it would be just the ticket.

Yeap, those bits are awesome but did you ever look at the price of those suckers?  Like the super nice flush trim bit ones are like $100+ bucks.  I would imagine this one would be ~$100 ish too.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »
Yeap, those bits are awesome but did you ever look at the price of those suckers?  Like the super nice flush trim bit ones are like $100+ bucks.  I would imagine this one would be ~$100 ish too.

The one I linked to looks like it can be had for $35 shipped.  If someone was cranking out panels, it would pay for itself pretty quickly.

Edit:  Sorry, that one was without the follower bearing...This one with the bearing is closer to your estimation ($82).  Still not terrible in a production situation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:00:57 pm by RandyT »