Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Check out what the Howler Controller can do!  (Read 21456 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Check out what the Howler Controller can do!
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2017, 12:27:43 pm »
Just stopped, no idea why. No obvious damage

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

armi0024

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2023, 09:57:36 pm
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 12:36:04 pm »
Ok, I'm sorry but I'm going to chime in. 
I get along with Andy, don't know if anyone get's along with Randy :)

I don't think Josh thought this was easy money at all, he worked really hard to pull this off then felt like it was swept out from under him at the launch.  I know from conversations he was working through the optimization but became very disengaged when the Ultimarc release happened, right or wrong this was not mal-intent.

I do think we walk a fine line.   It is true, Randy and Andy are still here, but basically selling the same stuff they were 10 years ago except when someone else does something like the howler.   So how do you balance this, encourage innovation.  This market is much more territorial than most of the customers realize, and that's a shame.

I do wish more people like Josh would push things, but I'm not sure about the answer.  I think ressurecting this thread is going to little more than open old wounds, but, hey what's done is done

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 04:08:33 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:29:39 am by ChanceKJ »

NLS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 03:07:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2017, 08:23:06 pm »
Ok, I'm sorry but I'm going to chime in. 
I get along with Andy, don't know if anyone get's along with Randy :)

:D How about Josh?

I don't think Josh thought this was easy money at all, he worked really hard to pull this off then felt like it was swept out from under him at the launch.  I know from conversations he was working through the optimization but became very disengaged when the Ultimarc release happened, right or wrong this was not mal-intent.

I think he felt his idea was cool, then realized that in the Real World (TM) nobody would just say "wow cool man, take a nice big chunk of the market".
Nothing happened to him "at the launch". At launch he was actually alone and free to make his offer irresistible. Apart from a coupld of mediocre sw/fw updates, nothing else.
If he was disengaged because he faced the free market, it was wrong any way you see it. I don't say (and don't believe) he planned for a "grab n' run", but well this is what happened in the end.
Few months (not even a full year) of support for the first customers and then Mr. Invisible.

I do think we walk a fine line.   It is true, Randy and Andy are still here, but basically selling the same stuff they were 10 years ago except when someone else does something like the howler.   So how do you balance this, encourage innovation.  This market is much more territorial than most of the customers realize, and that's a shame.

I agree with what you say. Since they are part of an oligopoly, they make the rules.
They don't even compete each other. :D
Would love more innovation in the field.
Then again they deal with a market that comes from the 80ies, so nobody actually pushes them to advance the market.
I remember when I told Andy about a cool extra feature one of his signature product could have, he told me he had plans for that and designed and sent to his manufacturing (Chinese) partner to make some test units but they didn't come and he would ask again... well suffice to say, he finally posted SOMETHING in his site about that extra feature maybe more than a year later.
Indeed they don't feel any push, so they just work with what they have. I don't like it either.
I don't see how it would change. Not with business rookies like Josh "buhuhu that man stole my toy".

I do wish more people like Josh would push things, but I'm not sure about the answer.  I think ressurecting this thread is going to little more than open old wounds, but, hey what's done is done

Agreed. I just wanted to bring this up to date.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2017, 09:33:44 pm »
Thanks for reminding me why I don't buy from ultimarc and point my customers, clients and friends to ggg.com for arcade parts.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:56:47 am by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2017, 11:00:37 pm »
"Hawler."

Ok, bro, thanks.

:cheers:

NLS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 03:07:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2017, 08:46:52 am »
Thanks for reminding me why I don't buy from ultimarc and point my customers, clients and friends to ggg.com for arcade parts.

I don't really get why you said that, but whatever. Your choice.

"Hawler."

Ok, bro, thanks.

:cheers:

Explain?
Ah because I mistyped the name.
Yeah cool bro.

https://giphy.com/gifs/southparkgifs-l0HlU16I1lIsgVmTu
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:52:14 am by NLS »

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2017, 10:54:44 pm »
I have built 6 cabs over the last 11 years. I have used both
GGG and Ultimarc many times and man the customer service it top notch with both. Emails with questions are always responded to super fast. I also think the prices are fair for the market. It has been a real pleasure watching all the products coming to market over the years.  I would just feel like a backstabber trying to save a buck and not giving them my patronage.  :applaud:

If a new brand hit the market, it is going to have to do something special that the others cant. For example I love the custom JLF led sticks from paradise and they are the only ones I know have these, wicked fast for fighting games. :notworthy:

They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.