Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CP overlay under lexan/plexi  (Read 1261 times)

gedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
CP overlay under lexan/plexi
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:06:45 pm »
My new CP will be 3/4" plywood on the bottom, lexan on top, and a custom vinyl overlay sandwiched in the middle. Do I need to use adhesive to stick the vinyl overlay to the plywood, or is the "sandwich" pressure of the plywood and lexan (held down by some small screws and 14 CP buttons) sufficient?

(I think that using adhesive vinyl for the overlay could actually be quite problematic. In order to accommodate the joystick dust rings, I'll be routing a shallow circle around the joystick holes, roughly 1.5x the radius of the dust ring itself to allow for room for the dust ring to move when the joystick is moved.  The dust ring will be located on top of the plywood and under the vinyl.  If someone would peel the backing off of the adhesive vinyl when installing it on the CP, the dust ring would get stuck to the underside of the vinyl overlay.)

Thanks

Gedman

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:30:41 pm by gedman »

rackoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Re: CP overlay under lexan/plexi
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:22:13 pm »
building my 5th cab and this time I am not using adhesive. I have always do so in the past but this time someone asked why I did it and I could come up with a good reason. I use the plywood and plexi glass set up too.

I am using top mounted jlf sticks for the first time and need access to the top to change them out if needed. But if you are doing undermounts then it wont matter much. :cheers:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.