Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pedal Covers  (Read 8368 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Pedal Covers
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:15 am »
So assuming I find the time this summer to actually put my rig together, I've decided that I'll either make custom pedals from scratch or heavily modify a set that I have to make them, for lack of a better term, more car-like. 

The mechanics aren't so hard, a rod, some springs and a pot.... I'll probably just steal those out of an old console set, but what about the pedals themselves?

I've been looking at pedal dress-up kits tonight, trying to find something you would see in a real car (not a race car... street car).  I've found a few, but, and excuse me if this offends some of you racing fans they all look like the fast and the furious threw up on the floor boards. 

I was kind of looking for something subtle, with a long, thin style gas pedal. 

Thus far this is the best I've found in a reasonable price range:

http://www.amazon.com/AGT-Aluminum-Automatic-Mercedes-1995-2005/dp/B0086VYN8A/ref=sr_1_98?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1397544289&sr=1-98&keywords=pedal+kit

So I'm welcome to suggestions, and while we are at it, let's just make this a thread to post pedals and dress up kits that would look nicer in a racing cab. 

vandale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
Re: Pedal Covers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:51:58 am »
hi. I used some cheap generic ones from the local car parts store. I had tried 3 sets and had to go with the steel ones as the alloy ones were too soft and keep bending. There is one pic in my old thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133948.msg1380443.html#msg1380443

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:01:11 am »
meh, seems pricey for 2 pedal covers.

You can get a set of Logitech G27 pedals off ebay for the same price.
The pots are 10k instead of the 50 or 100k your wheel probably requires, and they're the little gamepad type pots, but you've still got the pedals, springs, brackets, etc.  The individual brackets for each pedal can be removed from the base and mounted any way you like.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:07:20 am »

Groovy

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:00:19 pm »
meh, seems pricey for 2 pedal covers.

You can get a set of Logitech G27 pedals off ebay for the same price.
The pots are 10k instead of the 50 or 100k your wheel probably requires, and they're the little gamepad type pots, but you've still got the pedals, springs, brackets, etc.  The individual brackets for each pedal can be removed from the base and mounted any way you like.

Yeah but even if I went the g27 pedal route, I would still want to mod them.  Those are race car pedals, I want regular car pedals. 

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:52:51 pm »
See if you can find OEM Subaru Impreza WRX Pedals/Pedal Covers.

I had an 02 WRX and the pedals have a sporty aluminum and rubber design but it's simple and functional without being some kind of cheesy "fast and the furious" style.

I liked them so much that I found a set of pedal covers to replace the stock, plain rubber on my Nissan.

These are real pedal covers in that they're a rubber base designed to be stretched around the factory medal pedal platform... NOT the stupid clamp-on stuff you get with aftermarket pedal covers.

the matching dead-pedal is not OEM, it's aftermarket, made of reasonably thick aluminum with rubber inserts for the grippy bits... the black circle at the very bottom and very top are actually plastic fasteners and thats how it attaches to the floorboard in the car... the OEM pedal attaches the same way but it's just cheep plastic.

The clutch and brake pedals are like normal rubber pedal covers but they have a piece of sheet-metal aluminm that's been formed over the top of it, obviously the rubber pedal below has the grippy bits that are designed to stick up through the sheet aluminum.

the gas pedal is actually plastic, the whole pedal is plastic and connected to the arm by a pin. it has sheet aluminum like the brake and clutch but there's no rubber.

these all hold up incredibly well, I had that car for 5 years as a daily driver and aside from the nubs getting warn down a little bit they never fell apart or anything like that... should be good for a lifetime in a home arcade cab.

EDIT: you can buy them here:
http://www.fastwrx.com/oemdeadped.html
http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3181&idcategory=244

That's the best price I've seen for the dead pedal but the other pedals I bought new on eBay for $45 years ago... you might be able to find a set of pedals used for cheaper and just steal the covers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:09:35 pm by twistedsymphony »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:00:01 pm »
Those are getting closer, but still no dice.  I think I need a pic.....

The style isn't quite what I had in mind, but the shape is. 

Notice the really long "car style" gas pedal?  That's what I prefer because I tend to put my heel on the floor and just tap forward.  I would actually prefer a wider brake as well.  I don't know if that's a good idea though because I might add a clutch pedal later on (probably not though because I'm not really into sim racing). 

I like that set though.  I think I want to go more retro than that.  Think 60's era sports car... big ball shifter, lots of chrome, light colored leather, wooden dash...ect. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:30 pm »
I don't know if I'd call a floor mounted pedal "car style" it's typically used by a few particular makes. As for a Wider brake pedal, you'll want to look at an automatic brake pedal... as they're wider than stick shift pedals. I know that MINI uses the floor hinged pedal they have kind of a "retro" look to their pedals too though I think it's more 40s deco style, probably older than what you're looking for:

Here's one from a 2012 VW Beetle (VW/BMW/Mini share a lot of parts)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:09:27 pm by twistedsymphony »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 04:21:26 pm »
I didn't mean floor mounted, I was just referring to the dimensions.  I don't get it... all the pedal covers I find have rather short gas pedals.  I know the Camaro's and other American sports cars still have long pedals. 

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »
I don't know man... I modified a 1999 Corvette gas pedal for use in my car and comparing that pedal to the WRX one it was only about an inch or so longer. I think it just LOOKED a lot longer because it was completely flat while the Japanese pedals I replaced it with were curved.

The only really long ones I know of attach to the floor, and they're only long because of that. Most sports cars use short gas pedals because it's easier to do more advanced pedal maneuvers like heal-toeing. With the recent lawsuits dealing with pedals getting bunched up or caught up in the pedals I think we're all going to see small pedals from here on out.

Here's a pretty "classic" GM Gas Pedal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Chevy-Olds-Pontiac-Accelerator-Gas-Pedal-w-Stainless-Chrome-Trim-Surround-/330773641418?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d03a538ca&vxp=mtr

EDIT: here's a big fatty matching brake pedal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-BRAKE-FOOT-PEDAL-OLDSMOBILE-UNKNOWN-CHEVY-FORD-PLYMOUTH-DODGE-BUICK-PONTIAC-/141256118516?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e38550f4&vxp=mtr

EDIT AGAIN:

this is the longest skinniest pedal I could fin... it's $75 but it's comically large
http://www.jegs.com/i/Billet+Specialties/135/199255/10002/-1
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:57:29 pm by twistedsymphony »

vandale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 01:52:49 am »
Howard, if you cover the freight you can have an original pedal box from Daytona as pictured
http://thearcadeboneyard.com/controllers_and_parts/driving_controls/images/daytona%20usa%20sitdown%20gas%20pedal%20assembly%205.JPG

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 02:00:32 am »
I appreciate it man, that's really generous, but it'd probably be over-kill for my needs.  I took a quick look at the auto parts store today, aside from being the tackiest covers I've ever seen, they were quite sturdy.  The machined ones were at least 1/4 inch thick.  You could just flat out replace the pedals... no covering.

I really like the ones twisted symphony posted actually.  I'm a few weeks out from getting to the dress up stage... I probably need to build the dang thing first.  ;)