Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The All Thing Shape Shifting Traveler from Zero Space! - An Anti-cab build.  (Read 7692 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
This project is so unique.  How hard is the pinball stuff to set up? 

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
This project is so unique.  How hard is the pinball stuff to set up?

Well, I wouldn't say it is easy, but once you delve in a little it's not especially hard either.

It depends what you want to do, if you just want to play a table on your computer you can install one of the three popular emulators, Pinball FX (Easiest), Future Pinball or Visual pinball VPX (More complex but huge variety of community built tables - this is what I use).

VPX uses VPinMame which, like regular mame uses the Roms from the original machine. Unlike arcade games though, you also need a 'table' file which is a recreation of the actual physical playfield. So bare minimum you need VPX installed, the Rom for the game and the playfield for the game.
I drink and I know things.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
yay the combination of the rails and carriages means that the space between them is 1/2" too small for the playfield to fit. I'm going to have to dismantle everything and route out channels for them. FML.  :banghead:

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
I HATE ROUTING!! (and you should too)  :P

Always wear as many things on your head as possible when routing in the sun.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Yes I know the routing is ugly as sin, I had to do it with my hand router and due to the constraints of the framed area it was an exercise in trying to not kill myself with a hand-held blender on crack with no option for guides.  :dizzy:

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
By adding a horizontal axis (this one is still loose in the picture) I can minimize potential binding. The playfield will pivot around this.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
All back together after 6 hrs of pain and suffering. Thankfully it was worth it as the playfield now glides up and down like butter, no issues with binding at all!!  I wasn't able to incorporate the spring balance the way I had hoped as it simply wont fit in the rail area, the playfield has only 1/16th between it's edges and the rolling carriages.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
I HATE ROUTING!! (and you should too)  :P
Always wear as many things on your head as possible when routing in the sun.

Yes I know the routing is ugly as sin, I had to do it with my hand router and due to the constraints of the framed area it was an exercise in trying to not kill myself with a hand-held blender on crack with no option for guides.  :dizzy:

Routers scare the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of me because of how fast they move. Also table saws. And chain saws (except when playing DooM  >:D ). We do what we have to do! Respect your tools!

Where I am the sun is so bad you just stay the hell out of it. Days over 41C (105F) for weeks, forecast says thunderstorms almost every day but no rain comes, just soul-sucking humidity.

Wouldn't worry about some slightly rough routing, noone will see it. Your build is looking great, very innovative. Reminds me of Laythe's builds a little (eg Shapeshifter).

You can setup the frontend to match movie posters (when in display mode, you might slideshow them) with appropriate movie-themed pinball tables when opened into pinball mode. Like, you see the Terminator II movie post then open up into Terminator II pinball, etc. Transitioning from movie poster to matching pinball would be very cool. Seems there are quite a few movie-themed pinballs, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pinball_machines_based_on_films
https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/movie-pinball-machines

Guess you can extend the idea beyond movies too, for example band-based pinballs (AC/DC, KISS, Led Zeppelin etc.). Just associate appropriate pop-culture image with the pop-culture themed machine. You can have multiple lists.
Check out my completed projects!

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Yes I use a movie poster software that pulls in the trailer and images by scanning my Emby library, the sign just uses two web browsers in kiosk mode to hit the server and play the trailer on the top screen and display the poster on the bottom one.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Yes I use a movie poster software that pulls in the trailer and images by scanning my Emby library, the sign just uses two web browsers in kiosk mode to hit the server and play the trailer on the top screen and display the poster on the bottom one.

What software are you using?  I can't seem to find anything easy on Google for this - just want to display movie posters on a vertical screen like a slideshow with maybe 30 seconds per poster.  Ideally I'd be able to drag new poster into a folder that the PC or whatever was connected to (instead of just a photo slideshow on a USB stick).

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
What software are you using?  I can't seem to find anything easy on Google for this - just want to display movie posters on a vertical screen like a slideshow with maybe 30 seconds per poster.  Ideally I'd be able to drag new poster into a folder that the PC or whatever was connected to (instead of just a photo slideshow on a USB stick).

I use this  https://www.movieposterapp.com/

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Thanks for sharing, that movieposterapp seems to be perfect for what you are doing  8)  I also like the idea that it automatically scrapes/downloads new movies/trailers, great way to visually check out new movies n such. 

Are you able to get a smooth transition from movieposterapp to VPX as you open out the "table" (and back to movieposterapp as you close it up)?

Getting the software side of things right can take as long as the build itself   :cry:

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
I’m using pinup popper as my FE for pinball navigation, I’ll probably write some scripting to move between the poster and other modes then attach it to a key combo. This machine is also going to be a vertical arcade cabinet with a separate 4-player CP I have still yet to build, it will have multiple functions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:45:48 am by griffindodd »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
Pinup Popper looks like an good pinball frontend. Thanks for the tip, will be useful when/if I get around to doing my own vpin setup (one of these days).

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Tidying up the finish on the main playfield, will see how well it stands up to being used over time.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
More progress over the weekend. Built the base for the arcade control panel which also provides support for the virtual pin playfield using locking heavy duty drawer sliders.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Quick in-place test to see how close I got with just math....not too bad.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
A few tweaks, added a front panel and a few coats of satin black.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
1. Movie Poster Mode.
2. Arcade Mode
3. Pinball mode.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
I added a 4-key USB keypad to the build then bound the keys using Auto Hot Key to scripts that will switch between 1. Poster Mode, 2. Arcade Mode, 3. Pinball Mode, 4 Karaoke Mode.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Here is a quick demonstration of the process of opening and closing the cab.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
This is awesome. Officially Very Nice   :applaud:

emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:28:32 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
What a sweet setup.  :cheers:

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
I love well thought out builds. Great job!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
This project turned out great.  It's got all the best parts of what I love about this hobby.  It's completely original, looks cool and works as intended.   :applaud:

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Thanks all.

I added the 3D printed fire plate over the weekend and also wired up the solenoids so I get a nice 'Thunk' feel through the lock bar when I fire the flippers.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
Haven't been on this forum for a LOOONG time. Nice to see new projects still happening. This thing is the ultimate game accessory! The sheer engineering is remarkable. Nice to see fresh content and ideas.  :applaud:

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~