Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Double Axle HS-5 Dynamo to Mame  (Read 14977 times)

Tithis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2022, 10:53:04 am
Re: Double Axle HS-5 Dynamo to Mame
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:29 am »
Did a bit of work on the monitor yesterday. Touched up all the solder joints on the neckboard and all the video connector pins. I also replaced the power filter cap to try and solve a blooming issue I have, didn't work. Got the ultimarc video amp coming so I can hopefully turn down the contrast and screen adjustments a bit.

Also replaced the width capacitor since I didn't want to mess with the old width coil in fear of breaking it. I have a spare coil but I'd rather not need to use it. I was lucky that one of the .47uf caps got my width perfect on the first try. I did just realize I forgot to clip the legs on the thing <_< ran the monitor for over an hour last night and only realized this morning. Guess I was lucky it wasn't touching anything.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 07:52:56 pm »
Alright so not a ton going on. Been waiting for the weather to be better for building the cab as well as getting some of the final tools. Got a DeWalt DWP611 router for $60 at the flea market today. I might get the plunge base later online, but the standard base should be perfectly good for doing the t-molding on the CP. Also my hakko fx888 came in. I was getting sick of my cheap radioshack soldering iron and it needed a new tip anyways.

I am struggling with a tiny issue with the monitor. Now these arent my pictures, but they are identical to my issue and don't seem to be common, which probably means it will be a shot in the dark trying to fix it.

One of the threads says replacing the c204 on the neckboard fixed the issue, but he really isn't an active member so I can't question him, and from the pictures he has it looks like he has a ceramic c204 from an early neckboard and I have the electrolytic one from a later model. Filter cap, c56, c57 and flyback all seem to be unrelated to the issue as people tried repalcing them without effect. I have a new C204 and the big black 22mohm resistor for the neckboard on order for digikey. At least I can install those from the rear panel without having to take the whole monitor out.

If that doesn't fix it I might wait a bit and order a chassis for a 19" k7000 from buffet. I found out one of the TV's I picked up has a tube that will work for a k7000 chassis and in my case both would use the same neckboard. So when I order the chassis I'll swap out the neckboard and see if it changes it. At least then I'll know if it's a chassis or neckboard problem. I'm thinking after this I want to made a dedicated vertical small cab or cocktail.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 07:14:44 am »
Went and ordered a new 25" k7000 chassis. In my attempts to fix the issue I only really made it worse. Did an extensive reflow and I must have shorted or overheated something because now the horizontal image has shrunk and I have major jailbars on the left side. Also the bars are still there. I messaged one of the guys with the issue and he's replaced every capacitor, electrolytic or otherwise without effect. In short nobody REALLY knows how to fix these things  :dunno

I might come back to the chassis later when I have a real workbench and I'm not just putting the monitor on my bedroom floor, soldering at my desk and then moving everything back into the machine to test. Right now I'm at the point where I just want to build the CP and play some damn games.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:24:58 am by Tithis »

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »
Alright, well the last of the tools I need should be on the way soon. Ordered a slot cutter from twisted quarter and some CP latches. Once those come in I'll try to work out a time with a relative for me to make the CP. I think I'm just going to have to rent a drill at homedepot though, don't know anyone with a drill that can accept the hole saw bit.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 07:30:56 pm »
*deleted*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:12:10 pm by Tithis »

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »
Got the CP all drilled and the control mounting done :)

Took a bit longer than I thought, and it's far from perfect, but it's nothing some wood putty and sanding can't fix. Unfortunatly we did have the cut the woodworking session a bit short so I don't have the full panel done yet, still need the sides. I'll probably go back over my grandfathers this weekend.

Not quite sure what I want to do for covering it. I'm awfully tempted to complete the look and get vinyl overlay done in the style of a neogeo.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 11:17:40 am »
Alright so I'm all done moving my GF in now, so I've got some more time to work on this thing again.

So I cut the last few panels for the CP, painted all of them with black rustoleum and got the T-molding installed. Still need to design the CP overlay.

I shipped my original chassis off to Buffett to have it fixed about month ago. 2 weeks ago he said there were 4-5 chassis ahead of mine and today he said there are 3-5 ahead still, so no idea when that will be back. In the meantime a $70 complete working k7000 appeared on ebay for pickup only in my city, so I went and snagged that up. The thing is OLD, but it works. Has one of the odd long remote boards and an original whiteknob flyback. Ordered a cap kit for it due on Tuesday and I already have a spare new k7000 flyback to install in it. Bought it from the guy who original sold JohnsArcade's Tapper and Tron. Seemed like a nice guy. With my father now out of the apartment I can use one of the bedrooms as a workroom, so I'll have a lot more space for working on and troubleshooting stuff like this.

Also I think I've figured out what my next project will be once this one is done. Bought an old 13" color tv for a few bucks from salvation army. Took it apart and was able to find the datasheets for a few of the IC's in it and identified the OSD RGB and blanking lines along with the composite video in line. With all those identified I should be able to rgb mod it. Should just need to feed rgb to the OSD RGB pins on the IC, keep the blanking line on and feed composite sync in through the composite video.
http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=284

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 11:21:36 am »
Been working on the control panel overlay the last few days  8) Additionally I got my monitor back from Buffett. So with any luck I will have the machine playable for DnD night tomorrow  :cheers:

So here is what I have for the overlay

This should be pretty close to the final design, just have to double check all button positions irl and possibly adjust the design if needed. I still have to lookup the correct color code for the red.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2015, 04:22:28 pm »
Project is still alive.

Just waiting for the CP to flatten out. GameonGrafix got it to me under a week.

Monitor issues are all settled, cleaned up the cabs wiring a bit, got a smartstrip so everything turns on the with the PC. Just waiting on the home button on marquee brackets now.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2015, 11:20:50 pm »
Awesome project here.  I had been designing a cabinet earlier this calendar year that I was going to build, but life got in the way and that project is on hold.  However, i have started a new project.  I've wanted a Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition dedicated cabinet my whole life.  Sadly, I don't have the ability to purchase an HS-5 cabinet and move it into my house due to narrow doorways and tight spaces.  Therefore, I am trying to design an HS-5 cabinet that can be assembled and disassembled without the needs to screw through the sides, etc.  I would then have a company cut out the wood and send that to me so that I could apply laminate, paint, and assemble kind of like an Ikea project.  Thus far, i have a control panel, CPO overlay, marquee, side art, and bezel, along with a coin door, jamma harness, and OEM Dynamo HS-5 Cab power supply.

IF it is at all possible, if you could take a bunch of pictures for me and perhaps some detailed measurements so that I could draw up the cabinet and figure out a design to allow me to do what I want, I'd be REALLY appreciative.  The real barrier to my project right now is that i don't know what the dimensions are.  How tall, where are the angles, what is the size of the pull-out drawer, where are support beams located, what are their size, etc. etc.
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

Dalton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2018, 04:25:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 10:06:08 am »
I know this post is old but do you still have the double axle boardset?