Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Double Axle HS-5 Dynamo to Mame  (Read 14963 times)

Tithis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2022, 10:53:04 am
Double Axle HS-5 Dynamo to Mame
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:17:21 am »
Quite excited here. Yesterday I purchased my first arcade cabinet, a fully working Double Axle in a Dynamo HS-5 cabinet for $150.
(not actual cab)

I'm going to be picking it up sometime this weekend and then I'll take some pictures.

Cab itself has some battle scars, bits of paint missing, scratches in the side art on the, etc. Besides the cosmetics the cab looked fine with no water damage or swelling. With some bondo, sanding, paint and new t-molding the cab should be perfect.

Cab came with a 25" monitor, which if it's the original should be a well gardner d7000. Color, convergence, focus and purity all looked good, no burn-in either. At one point the monitor lost the red signal, but after tapping it's input connector it came back, so probably just a loose connector from the winter in this guys garage. It also occasionally had a bit of shaking, most noticeable around the edges. I'm guessing it's an issue with the chassis board, so after I verify the monitor model I'll probably order a flyback and capacitor kit, issue or not it's probably not a bad idea to do anyways. Hoping it's the original d7000 just cause there are so many resources on it.

So anyways expect some pictures of the cab this weekend, and perhaps a bit of it disassembled.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
Re: Double Axle HS-5 Dynamo to Mame
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:56:44 am »
It would be neat to keep the original driving CP intact. Dynamo control panels are all over the place. Maybe getting another one to use for standard stick games and then swapping out the panel for driving games would be a cool idea.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:03:49 pm »
It would be neat to keep the original driving CP intact. Dynamo control panels are all over the place. Maybe getting another one to use for standard stick games and then swapping out the panel for driving games would be a cool idea.

Have to agree with this, getting a dynamo panel is a cinch, and if you keep the driving panel as is, you can always revert back.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:53:47 pm »
I'm still unsure on how I'm going to do the CP. A regular dynamo CP wouldn’t be bad except I really want a trackball, I love missile command and my girlfriend likes the bowling games. Either way I won't be doing any destructive modifications, anything I do will be fully reversible.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 12:55:57 pm »
Meh, get out the buzz saw and get to work.  No regrets.  Do it.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:12:23 am »
There are extra deep dynamo panels built for golden tee that would do what you want (space for trackball as well as two players)  Not sure how hard they are to find but my cabinet came with one and it does the job
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:11:55 am »
I'm still unsure on how I'm going to do the CP. A regular dynamo CP wouldn’t be bad except I really want a trackball, I love missile command and my girlfriend likes the bowling games. Either way I won't be doing any destructive modifications, anything I do will be fully reversible.

Good for you.  Assuming your cabinet's panel is the same as the photo's, you've got a really good setup for driving games. Glad it's surviving.

That being said, you can build yourself a dynamo panel that'll fit your needs quite easily (a couple of boards angled towards each others, notches cut and a wedge glued in).  Depending on how much you need "Golden Tee flailing action", you can stick to the original depth and be able to play Missile Command and bowling games without much issue.  If you do need that swing room, however, you should go a little deeper as menace mentioned.  Just be careful not to make it too much deeper than necessary. An unsupported panel that hangs too far out not only looks weird and awkward, but also really DANGEROUS.

Good luck!

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 10:12:50 am »
We'll see how I end up doing it.

Going to be picking it up this afternoon. Borrowing my grandfathers car & trailer, a uhaul appliance dolly, a college buddy and my girlfriend's basement to store it in :lol Now that I'm storing it at my gf's house she is insisting I try and save the driving controls.

I was originally going to do it in my grandfathers garage, but this will be much much closer, so I should be able to work on it more often.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 03:59:27 pm »
with Model 2 and 3, theres nothing wrong at all with keeping it a driving cab  :cheers:

tons of info in the Driving and Racing section: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,55.0.html

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 11:15:11 pm »
Got it to the basement just fine  ;D next time I move it I'm gonna take that damn monitor out though.

Anyways I figured I'd take a few pictures of it today while it's all still together and working.

There was some damage to the back from the looks of it. Not a huge issue as it gives me an excuse to replace that panel and give it a proper door.

Monitor is one day off from sharing a birthday with me.

Not a bad picture, not sure if it needs a cap kit or I just need to play with some settings on the monitor. I did confirm it's a WG K7000 series

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:46:30 pm »
I actually quite like that game, silly fun. Looks like its in pretty good shape

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »
Yeah, I think I got a good deal for it.

I'm going to order a flyback and cap kit for it today along with looking into a good glass polishing kit. There is a small scuff in the center of the screen. It doesn't look too deep so I figure I can probably buff it out or at least make less noticeable.

Once the monitor is out I'm probably going to turn it on it's side and take a look at the base and evaluate it's condition a bit better. If it's not too bad I'll probably just re-square some corners will bondo and replace the feet with wheels. On monday I'm going to borrow my shops heatgun and start working on stripping the sides too.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 07:51:00 am »
So it looks like this project is going to include a tube swap. I'm driving down to Connecticut today to pick up a 25H-M60 Sharp television. I've looked at it's service guide, and it appears it uses the same internal part number for the tube as one of the Sharp models with a confirmed compatible tube (25H-S100) So with any luck it'll be one of the compatible tubes and I'll have a nice scuff free monitor.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »
Did a lot yesterday and today.

Yesterday I removed the t-molding, removed the control panel, pcb, marquee and monitor. I also removed a bit over half of the vinyl sideart.

Today I removed the cabinets original base, which I'll be rebuilding, stripped the rest of the vinyl sideart and removed roughly half of this black paper coating on the cabinet, going down to the bare wood.

Also today I disassembled the two 25in TV's I purchased this week. Confirmed both of them are compatible with my monitor chassis. So tonight I'm going to order a cap and flyback kit.

Only had my crappy phones camera with me, so pictures are bad, but it gives you an idea of the progress.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:31:08 pm by Tithis »

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 04:08:45 pm »
This weekend should be one of progress  ;D now that the cab has been stripped it's time to do some minor bodywork and paint the thing. I'll start with sanding it smooth before patching up some rough edges with some bondo. Since it's particle board I've read a oil based primer would be best, so I'll get that on probably on Saturday. On Sunday I'd like to get the final colors started on it.

Decided I'm going to go with a neogeo color scheme and keep it simple. I've seen too many ugly and gaudy mame machines and would like to avoid that. Might go with white t-molding, undecided though

The monitor is still a work in progress. Like I mentioned in my previous post I acquired 2 tubes with compatible yokes, one from 96 one from 2000. Undecided which I'll use but the 2nd will be kept as a spare, although I imagine by the time either of these tubes is burnt in and ready to be replaced getting a PC with the right output will be more of a concern. Sent in a check for Bob Roberts for a flyback, capkit, width capacitor kit and some plastic tools for adjusting the width coil. I read the width coils can be a little stubborn as they get older and are quite fragile, so I also snagged a replacement width coil if worse comes to worse (plus with them not being made anymore it's not a bad idea) So it should just be a matter of time before the monitor is ready to go.

Havn't put a ton of thought into the PC yet, avga vs soft15khz, windows vs linux, xp vs 7 etc. I'll be looking more into that shortly.

Control panel I am on the fence on. I don't have tons of access to tools and really only have a jigsaw for cutting stuff. For now I'm leaning towards something like what this guy has

Since I'm not planning to do much in terms of art and this will all be non destructive I don't see any harm in trying a simpler to construct route for the panel for now. I can always just build a new one if I don't like how it feels.

I guess that's it for now. I should have some pictures early next week of the progress with the cab itself. Hopefully Mr Roberts will get my check and send my parts so I can get working on the monitor next weekend.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 12:12:04 pm »
Oh how hopeful I was  ;D

Status update I guess.

Cab is progressing, slowly. The primer I put on really highlighted a bunch of flaws I missed on the sides. So after sanding the primer down I did another round of bondo and sanding before I was even ready for a 2nd coat, which I only got on a few days ago. Today I'll be working on it again and current plan is to sand the 2nd coat down a bit, another round of bondo to fix any other flaws I missed and then hopefully a 3rd and final coat of primer. If that's all it needs I might be able to put the first layer of the final color on tomorrow evening, not betting on it though. I did start the black paint on the inside portions of the cab though. There was much less need for repair jobs there and considering it's a black satin enamel, it can hide the very minor flaws that might still be on the surface. 2nd coat of that went on a few days ago and it should be ready for a light sanding and a final coat today.

Cap kit is finished, so at some point soon I'll be bringing the chassis back to my gf's house to be reunited with the rest of the monitor. I've also procured a good computer from her roommate, ASRock motherboard, XP x64 compatible, Core 2 Duo 3.1Ghz e8500, 2GB of ram, $45. Can't get much better than that. Luckily the graphics card currently in my main PC is an Ati HD4850 which should work with crt-emu. Figure using a computer to test the monitor and calibrate it will be easier than trying to reconnect and use the cabinets original game. Plus it would give me a chance to try out running vertical games when the monitor is horizontal.

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 11:03:18 pm »
Keep at it. There's gonna be some slow points with any project. I'm having to wait on parts to come in and saving up to get some artwork printed. It takes time, but it allows you some extra planning and prep time.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 09:51:19 am »
Well I managed to get the 1st layer of paint on late last night and put a 2nd coat on before I left for work this morning.

Excuse the mess.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 09:22:42 pm »
Recap was a success and so was the PC and crt-emu

Well almost success. Vertical games aren't running at the right refresh rate, so some settings somewhere need to be changed.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 08:08:26 am »
Made some progress with getting vertical games running more to my liking. After reading the manual for my monitor it says mine should actually have a bit more horizontal range beyond the presets posted here for vmmaker and groovymame.

So I made a new 400x272@58p modeline which I feel should be a decent compromise for pacman, galaga and the like. I'll be cutting off the 1up and highscore text along with part of the lives and level count. I might tweak it a bit and see how many blanking lines I can steal before I get distortion so I can get some resolution back. I figure within 95% original speed is a good compromise.

I am happy that Donkey Kong and 256 line games all run fine.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:05 pm »
Got some stuff finishing up. I decided to put one last coat of paint on the more troublesome side of the cabinet and installed the white t-molding on the good side. I think it looks quite sharp.

I also went and got some replacement plexyglass cut and started painting it. The top and bottom bars need a bit of touching up but look decent. Should finish painting all the borders this week.

Also decided to just go native resolution of 288 line games and drop a few frames to keep it running full speed. Unless I'm really focusing on it i can't really notice it.

So I should be moving it out of the basement and into my apartment next weekend  :applaud: Some physical stuff still needs to be done like a new base and building the control panel, but those don't require the cabinet to be right there. I still need to go and do the tube swap as well.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »
Broke down and ordered myself an arduino micro for the machine. For those that don't know Arduino is a series of easy to program micro-controllers

Planning to use it with a digital potentiometer in series with my remote boards vertical size potentiometer to adjust the size of the picture on the fly games with different vertical resolutions. No black bars for metal slug and no cut off highscore for pacman. I'll have a python script running on the mame computer that will monitor the screen resolution and upon noticing a change will communicate with the microcontroller and tell it to switch the potentiometer to a certain resistance and change the screen size.  :cheers:

Got it with a bunch of jumper wires. To start with I think I'll use those and splice the remote board wire going to the vertical potentiometer to test it out with some regular resistors to get an idea of the values and range I'll need in the digipot.

Should also be moving the cabinet this weekend. Going to lightly wetsand any fuzzies out of the troublesome side of the cabinet and then apply a very thin layer of paint with a foam brush to give it it's final finish. Most of the other parts I'll keep at my girlfriends house while I work on them since they'll be easier to move later.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 01:05:43 am »
Man, how many times did I say I'd do this now?  ;)

Anyways actually swapped the tube into the monitor frame today. Out with the old and in with the old, but slightly newer. No more ugly scratch.

Gotta splice the wires together still and test it, that will  be for tomorrow.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 03:39:33 pm »
Project is not dead, it was just resting  ;)

Ordered all the controls today from ultimarc.

Also need to get around to another tube swap. Tube I put in has a scratch I didn't notice and some magnatism issues I've had trouble getting out. The scratch isn't super noticable so I'll keep the tube as a backup until I find a better backup. Pretty happy I ended up with two compatible tubes. Just need to get my tools together again.

The arduino controlled digipot idea is out the window for now. I'm unsure if the digipot could handle the monitors power so instead I'm going to use a few relays and resistors to switch between a few vertical sizes.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 11:38:58 pm »
Eventful weekend. On Saturday night I did a second tube swap to use my newer and unscratched tube. While taking the tube out I removed the purity rings and yoke and decided to store them in case I ever needed a known compatible yoke in the future.

Put the new tube in, absolutely beautiful. Noticeably sharper than the old tube. Couldn't had been happier, until I noticed a small issue. Turns out the yoke on the new TV was too far off the original for the chassis to handle, had a weird sort of stretch & fold over on the top of the screen. Good thing I saved the yoke from the other tube!

So a few hours ago my girlfriend and I swapped out the yokes. She soldered up the new yoke and stood in front of the tv and went through mortal kombat 2's monitor test patterns while I adjusted the yoke position. Honestly it was much easier than I thought and I had almost no issues, just followed the instructions here and it went perfectly.
http://www.coinop.org/repair/MonitorTubeSwap.aspx

Finally I have a perfect monitor, it really is a thing of beauty  :notworthy: Once I get it back in the cabinet tomorrow I'll take some pictures.

Also I got all my controls from Ultimarc, crazy fast shipping for coming from the UK. Slowly breaking in the trackball and playing with the joystick. I'll be putting together a test panel soon and I've been taking measurements and working on the design for my final panel. Pictured for that coming soon too.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »
Should start working on this again soon. In october my hours ended up getting cut to half time and then at the beginning of the year I got laid off. Needless to say without a stream of income the project had to be put on hold.

Just started a new job 2 weeks ago though that pays twice what my old one did, so I'll soon be working on the project again.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 03:19:17 pm »
Should start working on this again soon. In october my hours ended up getting cut to half time and then at the beginning of the year I got laid off. Needless to say without a stream of income the project had to be put on hold.

Just started a new job 2 weeks ago though that pays twice what my old one did, so I'll soon be working on the project again.

welcome back  :applaud:

I look forward to the progress. I got kind of excited when I saw you bumped this thread.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 01:43:04 pm »
Well the control panel should be coming the next few weeks. Yesterday I went and bought some 3/4 inch thick styroform boards and made a mock cutout of the panel. It's not strong enough to really support any controls, but it gave me a better idea of how much space I'll have below the panel at various points. I'm going to try and finish the mounting mockup tomorrow and then I'll hopefully be able to schedule a good time to go to a relatives house to cut up the real thing.

I did take a few pics back after I finally fixed the monitor.

convergence isn't 100%, but it's not bad enough that I'm tempted to mess with it.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 09:17:47 pm »
Just picked up an HS-5 today. What does the back of yours look like?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 07:41:38 am »
Area behind the monitor was open for me, not sure if there was supposed to be a door or not. Bottom half is solid besides a hole for the power supply.

If you meant the inside I mostly remember there being the power supply, 2 transformers, and what looked like a full wave rectifier and power filter board.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:48:55 am by Tithis »

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:30 am »
Area behind the monitor was open for me, not sure if there was supposed to be a door or not. Bottom half is solid besides a hole for the power supply.

If you meant the inside I mostly remember there being the power supply, 2 transformers, and what looked like a full wave rectifier and power filter board.
Mine looks like what you are describing and the hole for the monitor access was covered with a screwed on panel not really a door, just piece of the same melamine coated particle board that the cabinet is made out of that's slightly bigger than the opening.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 11:02:09 am »

Mine looks like what you are describing and the hole for the monitor access was covered with a screwed on panel not really a door, just piece of the same melamine coated particle board that the cabinet is made out of that's slightly bigger than the opening.

yeah and the "guts" were on a board attached to the bottom of the CP.

bfauska

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 02:09:59 pm »

yeah and the "guts" were on a board attached to the bottom of the CP.

Are you talking about the "drawer" I love that design feature on the Dynamos. I can unclip the cp and pull the whole mess out to work on, it even has ledges on the sides of the cabinet to hold it in place level like a table.

Here's a thread of mine from a while back that's got some handy HS-5 info. Pay no attention to the title of the thread though, those drawings never happened, they may, but they certainly haven't yet.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,65745.msg662862.html#msg662862

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 10:19:50 pm »
Went ahead and finished the control panel layout. Working around the trackball is a bit of pain. I think I got the position of the 2nd joystick relative to the trackball as good as I'm going to get, made a small prototype with the ball and one joystick to see how it felt. I'm more interest in trackball games like centipede, missile command and reactor more than wild throwing games like golf or bowling games.

All thats left for the control panel design is the underside and mounting it to the cabinet. I have a few ideas in that reguard.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 10:23:29 pm »

Does the 25" monitor cage extend that far back that it needs an offset board/door?

bfauska

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 11:44:54 pm »

Does the 25" monitor cage extend that far back that it needs an offset board/door?
Mine didn't have the monitor when I got it but my still-in-case 27" does stick out the back far enough that I don't have the panel re-installed.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 11:45:37 pm »
I see. Thanks, my friend!

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 07:28:12 pm »

I have a de-cased 27" CRT TV in My HS-5 and it does not hang out the back
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:41:12 pm by sharpfork »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »
the ShoRyuKade was an HS-5, with a 25" monitor, fit perfectly.

Tithis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 08:36:52 am »
Really wish I read up on what the 50/60hz pot did earlier. Here I was thinking the yoke from my tube swap was a bit too far out of spec and all it takes is a turn of a pot to get rid of the bit of vertical foldover I was having.

Now if I can just get my vertical hold to stop acting funky. It typically starts fine and then after a minute will get a little jumpy. After that it will either stay that way or eventually settle down. I'm thinking it's probably just a connection issue, so I'm probably going to either make a better VGA splitter cable or get one of those boards to do it. Will also have to take the monitor out and probably try re soldering the video connector pins to see if that fixes it.