Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: United Manufacturing Co - Playboy Shuffle-Targette restore  (Read 11986 times)

AlienInferno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
United Manufacturing Co - Playboy Shuffle-Targette restore
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:19:56 am »
So a few weeks ago I picked this up from an auction.  It's a UMC Playboy Shuffle-Targette bowler type game.  This machine was manufactured in 1961.  Having never seen this type of game before I find it intriguing because I like both the traditional shuffle board type games and the skee ball type scoring this game offers.   The cabinet for this game was in decent shape for it's age but will require a fair amount of work before I can even plug it in to see IF it works. 

First things I am going to have to do, before plugging it in and turning it on for the first time, is clean all the stepper motors as all but one is frozen.  Then go over every bit of wiring for damaged wires.  There was a large amount of rodents living inside the machine. as evidenced by the amount of pecan shells and rats nests I pulled out of this thing. so I am going to have to be on the lookout for chewed wires.  Another source of irritation is the bulb underneath the inserts on the lane.  It looks to originally had a fluorescent type bulb.  Someone decided it would be a good idea to replace it with a incandescent bulb, as can be seen in my pictures. that caused damage as well.  There is a big burned spot were the light bulb rested against the wood frame of the bottom, some smoke damage on a metal light reflector type thingy, and melted insulation of a few of the wires.  Also am going to have to check the various solder points in the backbox as I noticed a few of the wires had broken loose.

After all that I can plug it in and hope it works.  If it does, I can move on to replacing / rebuilding a few of the cabinet parts.  Mainly the coin insert/door area.  As this part is completely missing.  I should be able to rebuild the coin housing box pretty easily and make it match paint wise but I doubt I will be able to find a coin insert (door?).  I will probably just end up replacing it with a modern counterpart that at least has similar looks.  I am also planning on remaking the rubber parts.  I need to do a bit more research but my plan is to make a mold of the parts and recast them out of a some type of impact resistant material.   Other then that it would just be a bit of minor woodworking and it should be good as new.

Hopefully I can get started cleaning everything up this weekend or next and will keep this thread updated as I do.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
Re: United Manufacturing Co - Playboy Shuffle-Targette restore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 02:21:52 am »
One thing I didn't notice until I was taking these pics is that the 10 point score reel for player one is busted.  Some of the wheel is there but it is missing about 3 of the number spots so will probably just switch it out with one of the player 6 reels as I will probably very rarely see more then 2 or 3 people playing at a time.

A few more pics.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:24:35 am by AlienInferno »

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:02 pm »
Not sure if anyone here is interested in this thread or not but I managed to get everything except for players 2-6's score reels cleaned.  I've been chasing down why the flash motor wasn't working and a few other small things and found that it is caused by the snow shoe style fingers on the game selection stepper unit not making good contact. 

Once I get this fixed and change out the worn contacts on the score motor fingers I will begin cleaning the rest of the machine.

Showing it's alive.

Showing the problem with the game selection stepper.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:51:05 pm by AlienInferno »

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:31:00 pm »
interesting

the snow shoe is in truth a steper unit,which u can get part's for from any pinball house that sell's em machine part's >common<
the countor reel same thing.it is either balley/williams/gottileb,size is the trick to the tail..
nice work so far

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:50 pm »
Funky. :)

I've never seen one of those. I've always been a bit fascinated with the electro-mechanical games. Is there a video of game play out there someplace? I did a quick internet search, but didn't find anything.

Good luck on the restore!

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:41:43 pm »
This is the closest thing I've found. It's a Williams Kick a Poo. Same style of machine.

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:50:29 pm »
Thanks for the video. I didn't realize how much space those take up! But, a cool machine non the less!

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:08:04 pm »
Thanks for the video. I didn't realize how much space those take up! But, a cool machine non the less!

Yeah I have yet to officially measure it but the original flyer says it is 8 and a half feet long.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 01:14:34 am »
Allright so after letting this sit for over a year it is time to get this restore underway and finished.  Why because I am in the process of getting a house build and want this finished when it's ready to move in AND as of a week ago I found out my wife is pregnant...so yeah.  Serious yeah.  I'm excited.  But I figure I better finish this while I have a bit of money and time to spare.

I've put about 10 hours of time into this over the last three weeks.  Would have put in more but there was quite a bit of rain during that time and do all my work outside.  So far all I've done is dismantle the "playfield" portion into the two pieces (top and bottom), remove all screws, brackets, bolts, wires, switches, sockets, etc, sand the lower section of it down inside and out, and fill some of the dents/dings/scratches with bondo, sand everything again, and reglue a few loose pieces of wood.  I've just about got that section ready for primer then I will proceed with the other part.  Want to have everything ready for primer so I can do it all at the same time.

Most of the pictures I took where to help me reassemble but here are a couple.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 11:10:33 pm »
I had made plans to work long and hard on this this weekend but there is a pretty good chance of rain so I don't know if I will be able to or not.  It rained enough today to keep me from pulling it out of the garage.  Not about to get this bare wood wet.  So I'm working on what I can. 

And that is the rubberized puck catch (part no. 238-6469 in the 1969 Williams parts manual for the Williams Kick-A-Poo). 

As you can tell from the scanned image (borrowed from planetary pinball), the one I have is in bad shape.  The right finger is broke off, the rubberized coating has been pulled off, and it's bent out of shape as someone had to "fix it" so that the puck wouldn't fall off due to the missing finger.  This did catch the puck as it returned to the front but it made it extremely difficult to remove the puck. 

My fix is to make a new one.  I went to the big orange box store and picked up a small piece of 16 gauge steel sheet.  Came home and made a paper template out of some cardstock.  I did this for the most part by tracing what I could of the part and then working of measurements for everything else.  It might not be perfect but it's very close when I hold the paper version up to the real one. 

Tomorrow I am going to trace the templates onto the sheet metal and cut it out with a jigsaw.  My plan is to use a grinder to get it as close to the line as possible and smooth out the worst of the jagged edges then use a file and sandpaper to finish off the edges.  Once all that is done the two pieces are getting clamped and glued using JB Weld and then coated in that rubberized grip stuff that most big box stores carry now.  Should turn out nicely. 

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 11:55:08 am »
Haven't done anything with this since November.  I am planning on getting this finished by May 21st.  So expect some updates in the next week or so.

One of the things I did manage to do is buy a missing part for it last week.  A very important missing part.  Chris at St. Louis Ball Bowlers came across some COMPLETE United coin units.  I need to clean it up and figure out what to do about the lock but I'm happy I have a complete machine now.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 01:04:19 am »
Hello BYOAC! Anyone remember me. Lol.

It's been a few years since I've posted about this. If anyone was interested yes I am still working on getting this restored. Since my last couple of posts I've got this sanded and mostly primed. Then I've had a baby, had a house built, and bought a bigger truck. Needed a back seat for the little one. Started working on this again a few months back and found that the masking tape was dried out and stuck to the bare wood that I had masked off. Got that all scraped off but it's going to need a good sanding to fully get rid of the tape glue.   I also got the backbox light area painted. I just recently acquired a vibratory tumbler and have started tumbling the metal bits that could fit to remove rust.

So as it stands my plans are this.

1. Sand the areas that had the masking tape stuck to it to remove old gummy tape glue.
2. Stain and clearcoat the natural wood areas.
3. Mask off and prime the remaining pieces that need primed.
4. Paint the blue coat.
5. Paint the gold stenciled art.
6. Clean the metal bits of rust
7. Reassemble.
8. Play the hell out of it.

1 and 2 will happen as soon as I get a nice weekend to work on it. 3 and 4 depend on weather and drying times. 5 I can do inside. 6 will be slow but I'll be working on it starting today.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 11:34:58 pm »
It's been 6 years since I got this machine. 6 YEARS!!! I've finally getting some decent time to work on this, barring weather, and managed to get on some color. Hallelujah!  I'm ready to get this done.

It's a latex paint. Some people believe it's blasphemous to use latex on a restore. I'm ok with it in this instance. It was a HGTV home/Sherwin William's paint from Lowes. Capri was the color. It was an almost perfect match to some of the unfaded color I found inside the machine. Thinned with water and sprayed with a HVLP.

Once I get all this blue paint on and the gold stenciling on top it will be an almost playable machine.

**NOTE**
I kept getting an error when trying to attach pics through here so had to do it through imgur.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:50:49 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 06:43:23 am »
It will be nice to see one of those old machines back in service.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 08:09:57 pm »
Basically done with the painting. Have a couple touch ups in the blue where the paint peeled off but  easy fixes. Made the stencils a couple weeks ago. And painted them today.  Funny note. 5 minutes after taking that pic my 4yo daughter found a screw somewhere and scratched the main body of the gold rocket. Yeah me. Have it in my so called game room for final assembly. It still has a ways to go before it's done though. Want to polish up a lot of the metal pieces first, have to glue the numbered inserts back in, replace a couple score reels, fix the bell, etc.

Spring Lake John

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2021, 07:24:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 08:53:05 am »
Nice work on the Playboy restoration!  I had one at Spring Lake Arcade for many years! It is a great game and very competitive, especially in the flash mode. Unfortunately, one summer day in 2009, would be it's last day of operation. I was working a typical busy summer day and had an employee take over so I could attend an evening wedding. I took one last walk around, and rushed off to get ready. My wife and I stood at the ceremony watching the vows when my phone rang. My employee Cassidey:  "John, everything's ok,  but a machine started on fire! I was able to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but it's a mess in here. The alarm didn't go off and we didn't have to call for help."  I told him to close and headed right over dressed in my best suit.  THe layout of the arcade was all of the newer machines on the left side, and all of the antiques on the right. There was white powder everywhere from the fire extinguisher. We blocked off the antique side, cleaned up and had the new side open in short time. About another half hour and instructions to Cassidey, and then back to the wedding...  The antique side reopened later after Cassidey finished the clean up. In the 20 years since I took over the arcade in 1989, I had never had any issue with this machine. (other than a few pucks being stolen over the years and normal tune ups) Turned out the coil shorted, but a 30A fuse was in that circuit and it should have been a 10A. After this incident, I check all the games to make sure all the fuses were correct!  I still have the game, but will need at least another head unit to restore it correctly. Let me know if you need any help with your game.  I would appreciate you keeping me in mind if you hear of a game or parts available.  John

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 06:09:38 pm »
Hey John,

Sorry for the late reply.  Man I need to update this old thread with some more pics.  Sad to hear about your machine catching fire.  This one's doing good.  I still need to build a coinbox and get the coin mechanism installed into it but it's pretty much playable now.  Have a bit of an issue with the puck return belt.  It slides to one side enough to finally catch and causes the drive belt to slip so your pucks won't always return.  I need to pull it out and rip it apart.  Re-glue all the joints and replace the bushings.  Hopefully that will get it to track better. 

More pics later. 

Spring Lake John

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2021, 07:24:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 07:07:19 pm »
I can't remember what the ends of the belt look like, so if you post pictures of both ends of the belt assembly, maybe I could make a suggestion. Are the rollers at the ends flat across or do they have a larger diameter in the middle?  I picked up a Chicago Coin Deluxe Criss Cross Shuffle a couple months ago.  A similar machine, but on this one you shoot to make 3 in a row.  (The game play of playboy is far superior.) On the Criss Cross,  they have tension adjusters near the motor end for both the left side and right side.  You adjust the centering by trial and error on these two adjusters.  I'm having a backglass made for the Criss Cross and if it arrives in time, I'll try to run the machine in the arcade this summer.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:12:51 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 09:19:54 pm »
These games are fun as hell and I can’t believe I missed this thread originally.

Let’s see some updated pics

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 11:58:47 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 02:27:19 am »
I had never seen one of these before.
Very cool.

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad someone else revived this thread so i could see it!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 11:19:41 pm »
**Sorry if pics are big. Posted them to imgur. Would rather attach them here but...... :dunno**

Here's how she sits right now. Can't see much of the artwork because of the safes lol but needed somewhere to put it. Since I've painted it I polished any metal pieces that would be seen as well as the bell. Replaced the bell coil. Reinstalled the metal rails using some polished 1/8" stainless rivets. Had the same shape and size head as the original nails holding it in. Reprinted the "10c per play" and "select scoring" cards and put them under some new plexi. Still have a list of stuff to do.

Fix the puck return belt system
Build a new coin box and clean up the coin plate/counter parts
Clean and reglue the numbered inserts
Clean, rewire and install the original florescent fixture
Eventually replace several light sockets in the backbox.

And probably some other things I cant think of right now.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 10:42:28 am »
Looks great.  What a fun piece to have in the house - very unique.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2022, 10:35:53 pm »
Wow!  Look at that!  It's been almost a year since I posted last.  It's always the little things that take the longest.  LOL.  Anyway, I built a coin box.  I need to sand the primer down and put some color on it still though.  Just waiting for a nice day, when I feel motivated, to do it.  I did repair the semi faulty light sockets in the backbox.  Only have one light socket to replace but it was missing from the machine to begin with.  I messed with the puck return belt a bit.  Replacing the bronze bushings helped but it still doesn't track perfectly straight.  I managed to get it a bit cockeyed on both ends so it tracks at more of a diagonal line. Keeps the belt from rubbing over it's entire length.  Before it would stop itself completely.  I'm not happy with it but I feel like it's the best it's going to get without completely redesigning the thing.  Other then that I bought a few coin insert pieces from St. Louis ball bowlers.  Namely the face plate (big rectangular shiny thing).  The one I had wasn't in good enough condition to polish.  I did polish up the rest of the pieces.  (the lock parts, coin return rod, and the round coin insert part).  Turned out pretty good.  Not perfect but I'm extremely happy with it.  I also replaced the fluorescent light sockets and rewired the fixture to work with a F14T8 (15") LED bulb.  I would have preferred a real fluorescent bulb but I just could not find that size bulb anywhere.  Lastly the connector between the wiring harness and coin box was missing so I rewired it to work with a 3 pin molex. 

Only pics I have atm are of the polished coin faceplate but will get some of the random other bits when I can.

***Hmmmmm....pics look a little distorted on my end after I attached them.  Weird.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 01:25:47 pm by AlienInferno »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 03:07:45 am »
Very nice looking.
I really need to revisit this whole thread.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2022, 04:23:47 pm »
Coinbox painted and installed.  I just wired in a 3 position molex in place of the original plug so you can remove the coin mech if needed.  Coming from the machine it has all 3 wires.  (ground, coin-up, and coin lockout).  Coinbox side only has the ground and coin-up wired in.  The original lockout coil was toast and I haven't found anyone who carries one.  Plus I'm not too worried about it since it's just a lockout coil.  That's all of the major work done.  (I think.)  Need to rebuild the puck catch out of some sheet steel and get the two parts welded together.  And of course, coat it in something rubbery.  I'm thinking truck bed liner.  Need to get some reddish colored rubber sheet to cut into circles and glue into the flaps in the score holes.  Currently it's just cut up USPS box.  Get a lock for the coffin.  Some small screws/bolts to install the one missing light switch.  Solder in a bit of wire for said switch.  Maybe put a little dab of Loctite on one of the stepper units.  It has to do with the flash game.  The nut holding the disc on comes loose over time and causes a bit of weird behavior with the lighting in the backbox.  I think that's it. 

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 04:26:01 pm »
Here's a pic of the original flier.  To get an idea of what it looks like.  For the coin box I just worked off the flier and came up with what I thought would be the right dimensions. 

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2022, 05:33:47 am »
That is a work of art.

Unique and beautifully done.

:cheers: