Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ** Arcadables - Top console games for cabs + arcade sticks - need input!! **  (Read 2723 times)

stigzler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade

Wondering which console and handheld games play well on a cab or using an arcade stick?
Want to know what type of arcade controls can be used with each game?
Want to browse or contribute setup notes for games?
This is a small project I've set up to try and collate peoples' experience with setting up console games on arcade cabs. Users can contribute games onto this 'database' and share with others their ratings for ease-of-setup and a game's suitability for a cab.

I found myself in the position of finishing (ish!?) my cab, but then found I wasn't sure which were the best games to put onto it. Peoples' recommendations were dotted all over forums, so thought I'd invite the marvelous cab + arcade building community to contribute to this centralized repository.

Features:

Star ratings for various features
    Sort games by various columns
    Filter results by platform, game type, type of cab controls etc.
    Links to more detailed setup notes such as plugin settings for the game etc....

Screenshot:

I'll be contributing as I go along, finding games that play well on my cab.

Would be great if others could add their recommendations too!!!

Click this link here to go to the page:

https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/top-console-to-cab-games

Click this link to go direct to the form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1hIFwO3gF3ekK-heudoEAZhq5Q_bCOgxEh0aJ3qMIlj8/viewform?entry.2133690561=magomame&entry.1202225771&entry.362976823&entry.1053481385&entry.774449246&entry.2013513245&entry.283837065

I'll also be posting in this initial post the Top 10 Games for cabs as the database changes.

Hope you guys can help out!!! Oh and feedback welcome!!!

Top 10 Games for Arcade Cabinets

:( To follow when got 10 games on the list!! :wacko:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:26:17 am by stigzler »

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:56:55 pm by Louis Tully »

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 07:43:50 am
  • Mame Weekender
I'll keep an eye on this ;-)

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
 :applaud: great idea...

Once you start getting into consoles with Analog control the compatibility with a standard 8-way and buttons gets really murkey really fast.

Viewing the list I kept getting this error message:

FWIW I'm using Firefox 19.0.2 on Windows 7

I've submitted tatsunoko vs capcom all stars for the Wii... I got that running on Dolphin last night and it works great.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:36:33 pm by twistedsymphony »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
Thanks Chaps!!

Twisted - thanks for contributing! As for that error:
a) Wow - not very helpful is it!?
b) I'm afraid I've no idea what it's about. I've tested on my android phone + tablet + also with Firefox 27.0.1 - all works fine. Uses some kinda advanced google script or something, so beyond my repair, I'm afraid. Is it possible to update to newer version of firefox??
That game looks like exactly the kinda thing I'd hoped would be contributed + thanks for the setup notes.

:)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
If you want some real input, I would change the name. It just doesn't grab me. I know what you're trying to do with it, but  :dunno.

Other than that, kudos for taking this on.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
If you want some real input, I would change the name. It just doesn't grab me. I know what you're trying to do with it, but  :dunno.

Other than that, kudos for taking this on.

Arcadable. (arcade able)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Sine Mora has had a wide release.  Android/OUYA, iOS, PC/steam, PS3, PS network/portable/vita, Xbox 360 & probably xbone. 

You definitely have your work cut out for you.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
Point taken, yotsuya - I was unsure myself - does sound a bit too close to Ass**les!!  Any suggestions? Was trying to put something together that explained the concept quickly - but take yer point.

Thanks Malenko for the suggestion.

In true community spirit - seriously open to suggestions. Winner gets a bag of peanuts.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:19:55 pm by stigzler »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
Sine Mora has had a wide release.  Android/OUYA, iOS, PC/steam, PS3, PS network/portable/vita, Xbox 360 & probably xbone. 

I'm progressively hearing sucked teeth and sensing shaking heads!!!!
Thanks Eric - that's a really good point - games are multi-platform. Now - it's easy to modify the table to have more than one platform against a game, but I wonder about the wisdom of that, as they may play very differently + have very different setups on different emulators. My instinct is to leave alone and have different entries for same game on different systems. Hmmm...

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline

I'm progressively hearing sucked teeth and sensing shaking heads!!!!
Thanks Eric - that's a really good point - games are multi-platform. Now - it's easy to modify the table to have more than one platform against a game, but I wonder about the wisdom of that, as they may play very differently + have very different setups on different emulators. My instinct is to leave alone and have different entries for same game on different systems. Hmmm...
Also a valid point.  Perhaps rate as you did in this case with Sine Mora on Steam.  Hot links for each instance on applicable platforms.  Leave them unrated until someone rates them.

Do you know how you eat an elephant?  On bite at a time.

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
As for that error:
b) I'm afraid I've no idea what it's about. I've tested on my android phone + tablet + also with Firefox 27.0.1 - all works fine. Uses some kinda advanced google script or something, so beyond my repair, I'm afraid. Is it possible to update to newer version of firefox??

I'm a web developer so I know all about compatibility issues with different browsers.

testing the page out on my install of Chrome Canary  it runs fine so it looks to be a problem with either fire fox or my particular version of fire fox.

I do have AdBlock running so maybe that's inadvertently blocking something it shouldn't?

games are multi-platform. Now - it's easy to modify the table to have more than one platform against a game, but I wonder about the wisdom of that, as they may play very differently + have very different setups on different emulators. My instinct is to leave alone and have different entries for same game on different systems. Hmmm...

I would ignore the multi-platform aspect of games and treat each platform+game combination as a unique entry. My reason for suggesting this is 2-fold.
1. Just because the game is available on multiple platforms doesn't mean the setup or compatibility is going to be the same on multiple platforms... it could be completely different, and in a lot of cases it will be different enough that trying to somehow merge those entries will just cause more confusion.

2. I don't know about other people but I personally feel like this will be useful to look at things from the perspective of "what games on THIS platform will work with my cab". For instance lets say I want to add N64 to my cab... I'd like to be able to go to this site and download a list of games that are compatible from that platform so that I can weed out the incompatible stuff from my rom folder.

being able to search on a game-by game basis has some benefits too but ultimately I see this being more useful as a "rom lister" for non MAME platforms.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
As for that error:

I would ignore the multi-platform aspect of games and treat each platform+game combination as a unique entry.

Add a filter by platform and it is all good.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Point taken, yotsuya - I was unsure myself - does sound a bit too close to Ass**les!!  Any suggestions? Was trying to put something together that explained the concept quickly - but take yer point.

Glad you brought it up. I didn't want to say anything and come accross as a cabsole.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade

Love it. :)
And happy days, the Platform filter's already on there.

Thanks twisted - good stuff for ongoing considerations. Your point about "what games on THIS platform will work with my cab" got me thinking about an extra field - maybe a user pc specs column? Could be a link (to a cpuz validator page or other) or user text. Another thing I remember when building the PC in my cab was the trial and error involved in getting the right PC specs for (essentially) the emulator. However, of course different users would have different specs... hmmm... keeps raising temptation of using a database instead of sheets!

Think Ill try following the KISS principle - "Keep it Simple, Stupid!"

Thanks for your ideas, chaps

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline

Love it. :)
And happy days, the Platform filter's already on there.

Ahhh.  Derp

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
hmmm... keeps raising temptation of using a database instead of sheets!

Think Ill try following the KISS principle - "Keep it Simple, Stupid!"

I don't know how relevant PC specs would be... generally that's based on the emulator and people will know which emulators work well or don't work with their specs... PC games already have plenty of resources online for specs. I would keep this dedicated to input compatibility.

You might consider adding more detail towards specifying which controls each game uses/requires...

ie: number of buttons, number of analog sticks, number of pedals (for a driving game) etc.

Using the Mame control specifications as a guide could make the data compatible with other programs too.

then a user could just plug in what they have for a control panel layout and get a list of games that are compatible.

take a look at this: http://controls.arcadecontrols.com/controls/controls.php

If you decide to move to a database and need some help let me know.... My day job is building database driven web-app that run on MySQL, MS SQL Server and IBM iSeries. I love database design :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:15:58 pm by twistedsymphony »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
Great ideas....

Although the full controls database feels like something a lot bigger!!

I started something around this to use with CPWizard's emulator function some time ago: https://sites.google.com/site/alienarcade74/sub-projects/arcade-emulator-button-mapping-project

I got this far, then it started getting waaayyyy too mindbending. Put it on the back burner!

Soo... a project for another day.... Think I'll keep this leg simple. Could possibly migrate data from this at some later stage.

The full controls.dat for emulators is something that sooo needs to happen. Probably best a co-ordinated community job, too!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
Hmmm.. in the absence of any ideas, I think I'm gonna have to sadly stick with "cabsoles" - just can't think of anything else!!

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:57:14 pm by Louis Tully »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
I get that one, but just didn't sound right... (not that CabSoles sound right, either...)

But then I figured it -  :banghead: prob was sounded more like an adjective than a noun (e.g. "that game is aracadable..."). So, bit of middle school english led to:

Arcadables

Thanks go to:
Malenko - original idea
Mrs Pearce - my middle school English teacher who I couldn't stand.
Sylvester Stallone et al - for permeating my consciousness with cheap English tricks.

btw - anyone else got any games to add? What's the best way to promote this so people get to know about it?