Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any place to get CRT monitors anymore?  (Read 11343 times)

Yeltsew7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2015, 07:03:56 pm
  • I don't think that I'll ever get my cab built.
    • My Messy Flash Archive
Any place to get CRT monitors anymore?
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:23:18 pm »
Are there any places to get CRT monitors anymore? Or any kind of arcade monitors for that matter? The only places I can find are http://www.arcademonitor.com and Suzo-Happ.  Suzo-Happ is only LCD :censored: and that super expensive, huge MakVision monitor.  I tried calling MakVision and I only got "Please call Suzo-Happ".  http://www.arcademonitor.com seems to be dead too.  Again, calling them only resulted in a voicemail. My text that I sent them got kicked back to me with an error.

Has it come to the point where the only ways to get monitors that support the needed resolutions are on eBay?  That in itself seems like a bad idea to me.  Combined with the fact that many of them are "local pick-up only", and the chance of getting a broken/tinted/burned in monitor, the risk seems too high.  I just got into this hobby about a year ago, and it seems that I won't be able to complete my project with a new-but-old monitor.  Please, if anybody  knows where to get these, they don't even need amazing picture qulity, please tell me.  I'm also on a budget of about $400 for the monitor, but any way, post where you got yours.

EDIT: I have come across Twisted Quarter, they have 4 monitors that look appealing to me.  Has anybody dealt with them before?

The tri-mode 24.8" flat-screen CRT, which is my favorite of the three, and will probably work the best with my graphics card, which is NOT ArcadeVGA http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_201&products_id=1630

This 27/29 CRT with a flat screen and CGA/EGA/VGA, so I won't fry it when I boot up my computer.  BUT DAMN $525, and I'm sure it's worth a lot, but $525!? This might end up being a $1000+ project! http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_201&products_id=325

This 19" LCD, it's small and LCD, but at least it supports the resolutions I need and more. Does anybody have experience with LCD screens?  Also, how small are 19" 4:3 monitors?  I have an older 18" LCD (not arcade), but it's 16:9 and it is SMALL.  But I haven't used a 4:3 screen is a while, so I have no idea what it is like.  Would SF2 and other games that were originally on 25" monitors still look alright on it? http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_202&products_id=507
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:40:29 am by Yeltsew7 »

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:38:07 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
Re: Any place to get CRT monitors anymore?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:39:21 am »
For the money, using a 15KHz  TV with an RGB to Component transcoder seems to be a good option.   

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121491.msg1288832.html#msg1288832

I keep an eye on craigslist and have managed to pick up two 24" Trinitron's for about $20 each.  I often see 27" models listed for free.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:59 am »
I was talking to Betson Enterprises a couple of weeks ago. They still have 27" tri-sync CRTs but that's about it.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:24 am
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:31:55 am »
I've nabbed 9 working 19" monitors over the last 6 months between craigslist and KLOV. It's a good feeling to have "ready to go" replacements sittin' on the shelf.

good day.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:23:53 am »
Phoenix area Craigslist has had a guy selling 19" CRT's for a month or so now.  They are used, supposedly refurbs for $99.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:40 pm »
Phoenix area Craigslist has had a guy selling 19" CRT's for a month or so now.  They are used, supposedly refurbs for $99.
I've nabbed 9 working 19" monitors over the last 6 months between craigslist and KLOV. It's a good feeling to have "ready to go" replacements sittin' on the shelf.
good day.

Does the Craigslist in my area just suck?  I can't find any arcade monitors, and full cabinets are $1500+.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
Thoughts on LCD monitors?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:29:10 pm »
Actually, is there any reason to not get a LCD?  They all say that they can "replace your aging CRT monitors".  If it can show the resolutions right, then I might like it.  The one on Twisted Quarter had a VGA in, so I don't even have to mess with wires and that Video Amplifier from Ultimarc.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52:01 pm »
The only reason not to go LCD is nostalgia.  Some folks want to emulate the old-school arcade experience as closely as possible and demand CRT.  I, personally, don't care enough about authenticity to put up with the extra work and just use LCD.

I think scanlines are nasty artifacts that need to go away and just don't understand why some folks purposely add them back in.  Pin-cushioning drives me nuts.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:13 pm »
The only reason not to go LCD is nostalgia.  Some folks want to emulate the old-school arcade experience as closely as possible and demand CRT.  I, personally, don't care enough about authenticity to put up with the extra work and just use LCD.

I think scanlines are nasty artifacts that need to go away and just don't understand why some folks purposely add them back in.  Pin-cushioning drives me nuts.
Well I would like to come as close to the "retro" feel as I can, but I have to admit: those little knobs to adjust the hold, the weight, the pain to connect to a PC, and the danger of CRT monitors might be enough to have me get an LCD.  Originally I thought they were only higher resolutions like the one I'm using now, but this one is CGA all the way up to SVGA.  Are there any 25" ones available?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:46:09 am by Yeltsew7 »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:46:37 pm »
And you are located where....?

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:02 pm »
There's a lot more than nostalgia to a CRT.   I think most will disagree about the scanlines being ugly.  Along with a relatively low dot pitch on a 15kHz CRT, they assist in providing the right amount of natural smoothing needed for that "not too sharp but not too blurry" look needed for these low-res games that an LCD can't quite duplicate.  Not to mention that a 15kHz CRT has no input lag, unlike an LCD, so games actually play better on them too.

Just keep in mind that 90% of the games in MAME are 15kHz progressive (~240p), and an LCD can't display these properly without scaling.  If you can't find what you're looking for in terms of arcade monitors, don't overlook Dawgz Rule's suggestion.  It works just as well.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 07:52:20 am »
There's a lot more than nostalgia to a CRT.   I think most will disagree about the scanlines being ugly.  Along with a relatively low dot pitch on a 15kHz CRT, they assist in providing the right amount of natural smoothing needed for that "not too sharp but not too blurry" look needed for these low-res games that an LCD can't quite duplicate.  Not to mention that a 15kHz CRT has no input lag, unlike an LCD, so games actually play better on them too.

Just keep in mind that 90% of the games in MAME are 15kHz progressive (~240p), and an LCD can't display these properly without scaling.  If you can't find what you're looking for in terms of arcade monitors, don't overlook Dawgz Rule's suggestion.  It works just as well.
Aaagghhh everybody is saying different things, and I have never used an LCD monitor, so I only have other people's suggestions.  As Dawgz Rule said, i could jse a TV,  but how do I tell if it is 15kHz?  I have a 24" flat tube Phillips in perfect condition, but I have no idea how to hook it to my computer.
And you are located where....?

North Florida, Jacksonville area.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 11:10:57 am »
Nieman still sells CRT monitors:

http://www.niemandisplays.com/

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 03:26:26 pm »
Nieman still sells CRT monitors:

http://www.niemandisplays.com/
On their tri mode monitors it looks like you have to switch it between each mode.  Is this the case for all tri mode monitors?

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 03:42:59 pm »
the switch is to switch between digital and analog

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 04:50:48 pm »
the switch is to switch between digital and analog

ed

Are you thinking of the same thing as me?
it says on the technical specifications PDF http://www.niemandisplays.com/nvd%203m%20spec%20electrical%20spec%20sheet.pdf:
Notes:
SW501 Termination switch, set this for optimum picture.
This monitor has been pre-set by the factory in 24 Khz EGA Mode.
To use in 15Khz CGA Mode adjustments of size, position etc. will be required.
To use in 31 Khz VGA mode reset SW501 to 75 ohm position and adjust controls as
required.

Use the enclosed 15 pin adapter for CGA/EGA use.
I take it that the monitor needs to be adjusted for each mode.
It also says that I need to use the special D-Sub --> molex (I'm assuming) for CGA/EGA.  Does it need a different plug for VGA resolutions?  It seems like it's a pain that the other ones don't mention.  How do they work?

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 04:56:17 pm »
A 15 pin d-sub plug is the typical VGA plug.

Edit: I just noticed it says d sub to molex.

The tri syncs from Betson just take a standard VGA connection and are auto switching.

A regular standard resolution TV will be 15khz.
You can always go the route of a video card with s video out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:03:04 pm by mgb »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 04:58:22 pm »

You actually prefer the jagged odd ball crap picture of 15khz games on an LCD.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »

You actually prefer the jagged odd ball crap picture of 15khz games on an LCD.

I see that reference a lot, and I don't see how scanlines fix it.  Every time I see a side by side of LCD vs CRT I just don't see how the CRT looks better.  To me, hooking a SLG to an LCD is actually removing visual info.  I mean, you are scraping black stripes through the image.

It seems to me to be the same thing as audiophiles who swear that their old vinyl records somehow sound better than CD even through all the pop, crackle, and hiss.  I just don't get it.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
Slippy,
  I can understand the vinyl vs cd argument (though there is some truth to vinly being warmer sounding) but these 15khz games were never meant to played on a high resolution LCD. There needs to be some sort of blur.
I love my games on my CRT though I can see where the hassle may not be worth it for some.
When I play mame or classic console emu on my LCD TV, I much prefer the scan lines and some blur otherwise its way blocky.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 05:24:58 pm »
You can always go the route of a video card with s video out.

You can but I would recommend spending the extra cash and use a transcoder.  The difference is amazing and the overall appearance is on par with that of an arcade monitor.

Slippy, couldn't disagree with you more.  I recently saw a LCD Pac Man at Dave & Busters and it simply looked to blocky as compared to a CRT.  Just didn't look right to me.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 05:40:32 pm »
CRT: 3 (including me)
LCD: 1
Looks like I'll go with a CRT, even though it might be a pain to hook up and more expensive. I'd rather it look authentic, and that was my original reason why I didn't want to go for an LCD, they look blocky.  Actually, it is the same thing ad vinyl vs CD, I think vinyl has a warmer sound than CD.  (Don't get me wrong, I am fine with listening to CD's.)  And it seems that it is the same case with CRT, they are what the developers were using when they made the game, so that is what it will look best on. 
Do you think that http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_201&products_id=1630  or http://www.niemandisplays.com/nieman_video_displays_007.htm look better?  I am pretty inexperienced in this, so I would like the one that would be lees of a hassle to set up with my video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121645  with Soft-15KHz.  Also, still nobody has answered me about that the Nieman one says that you have to adjust it to go between CGA and EGA and VGA.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 12:28:16 am »
Some multi-sync arcade monitors require manual switching to change between 15/24/31kHz, while others are auto-switching.  I don't know about that particular one, but from your quote it sounds like it might actually be auto-switching.  I think its referring to switching to 75 ohm termination for 31kHz because they're expecting standard VGA signals at 0.7v, whereas they're expecting up to 5v from arcade PCB's for 15 and 24kHz.  In your case, you can just leave it on 75 ohm termination all the time because your video card will output 0.7v regardless of resolution.

An easy way to be sure that a TV is 15kHz is to try and display 480p on it.  If it doesn't work, then it's 15kHz.  90% of the games in MAME are ~240p, so it's best to have something that can display them properly.  Generally, if a CRT TV is capable of 480p or higher, it will upscale anything below that which is no good, so you want a "standard definition" TV, one that CAN'T display 480p. 

The best thing to shoot for is something new enough to have a component input, so you can use a proper transcoder, but old enough to be 15kHz.  That will be something from the early 2000's.  If you're in the US I recommend a Sony KV-27FS120, which is what I use (there are also similar models in 20, 24, 32", etc.).  They're dirt cheap, have a great service menu, and look fantastic once properly calibrated and hooked up to the right setup.

If your Phillips has a component input and passes the "480p test" you may be able to stick with that, but I'd also make sure you can get into the service menu, as using a TV with poorly adjusted geometry is not very good with arcade games.  The first thing you'll notice is there's too much overscan, which needs to be adjusted out.

To hook up a TV with a component input to a computer you need a good transcoder.  See here for recommendations:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121491.msg1392896.html#msg1392896

Whether you use an Arcade Monitor or a TV you should be using GroovyMAME and CRT_Emudriver to get the full potential out of it.  This requires a compatible graphics card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-ATI-Radeon-HD-4350-512MB-Video-Card-DVI-HDMI-SILENT-EAH4350-DI-512MD2-/251473094454?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

You'll need that to output 15kHz resolutions the TV can display.  If your arcade monitor can display 31kHz/VGA, it will work with 640x480p from any graphics card, but that means you're scaling most games, which wastes the potential of the CRT.  31kHz should be reserved for the desktop, front-end, and the smaller selection of games that are designed for it.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 10:45:56 am »
Thanks rCadeGaming, that all makes sense to me.  The only thing is won't any frontend look awful at 240p?

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 11:04:29 am »
It would, but you can run it in 480i on a 15kHz CRT (480p@60Hz = 31kHz, 480i@60Hz = 15kHz).

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 11:17:57 am »
And Soft15KHz says it also supports 1024x768 interlaced under 15KHz on the wiki.  Can 15KHz TVs show that with CRT_emudriver?

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 04:40:05 pm »
Soft15kHz can't do anything that CRT_Emudriver can't, and CRT_Emu is a lot more user-friendly.  That being said, while either could output 768i, the vertical scan rate will be very low to keep horizontal around 15.7kHz, so some US TV's won't be able to display it.  An arcade monitor might be able to, but with either display type if it does work you'll have to adjust the vertical size by a lot and then your games will be off.  Unless you have an arcade monitor that remembers settings for individual resolutions, you're going to want to set your vertical size in 15kHz to display about 224-256 progressive lines, (448-512 interlaced).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:21:50 pm by rCadeGaming »

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 09:54:40 pm »
Soft15kHz can't do anything that CRT_Emudriver can't, and CRT_Emu is a lot more user-friendly.  That being said while either could output 768i, the vertical scan rate will be very low to keep horizontal around 15.7kHz. , so some US TV's won't be able to display.  An arcade monitor might be able to, but with either display type if does work you'll have to adjust the vertical size by a lot and then your games will be off.  Unless you have an arcade monitor that remembers settings for individual resolutions, you're going to want to set your vertical size in 15kHz to display about 224-256 progressive lines, 448-512 interlaced.
Well the Phillips has a pretty crappy service menu, but I will check out those ones you mentioned earlier.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:09:04 pm by Yeltsew7 »

astrog21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2015, 06:17:48 am
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 03:24:40 am »
You could look on the kerb or ask family/friends/neighbours. You should be able to find a second hand one easily. As for new CRT's, I doubt anyone makes them.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:44 am »
Where are you located?  Craigslist is usually your best bet.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »
Jacksonville, Florida.  Our craigslist is the worst.

Mr_Numbers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2017, 10:49:05 am
  • Long time lurker, first time builder
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 12:37:58 pm »
Jacksonville, Florida.  Our craigslist is the worst.

I'm close to Orlando and seen this listing last month:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/vgm/4315455747.html

I need a 25" (or two!) monitor and did email him and he said he had more than 5 and wants them all gone in one sale.  I'm not sure if he still has any but I highly doubt he found a buyer in this area for so many arcade monitors, some with serious screen burn it looks like.  If you do contact him and he still has them maybe we can meet in Orlando and split up what we want and get a really good deal.  Either way let me know if the listing helped.

:cheers:

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 01:17:25 pm »
I don't have much advice for searching for arcade monitors, but here's what I do to get TV's:

Most people selling TV's don't list them with useful info.  Just search for "Sony 27 TV" (or whatever other size you want) and check the box for only listings with pictures.  Then do some copy-paste and send a message for every listing with a picture that looks close, just saying "Hey, I'm interested, can you tell me the model number?  It's on the back."  Throw out a big net and see what you can pull in.  Don't pay over $50 for anything.  Some people give this stuff away.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »
Another good search term is "trinitron" (27, 24, etc.).  As rCadeGaming said, then send an e-mail asking for the specific model.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 08:47:42 pm »
Yeah, it's possible someone may list it as a Trinitron and not mention Sony.  You can also try "WEGA."  The KV-27FS120 is a WEGA.

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 11:21:10 pm »
Yeah, it's possible someone may list it as a Trinitron and not mention Sony.  You can also try "WEGA."  The KV-27FS120 is a WEGA.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/4346619978.html
What about this?

And another guy said his was a KV-27S26, is that suitable?

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 11:51:06 pm »
A KD-27FS170, I have some experience with those.  It has a certain interesting behavior that can be exploited for MAME, but the picture quality is poor...

In addition to MAME, my TV is also set up for consoles (real hardware).  So, I have my service menu geometry adjusted to a happy medium for the common ~224p resolutions from older consoles.  I've found this is great for MAME as well.  There are a ton of games that run around 224p.  To fit a few more lines, adjust overscan, etc, you can get some vertical size adjustment using a combination of horizontal scan rate and total horizontal pixel adjustment.  To fit in something a lot taller, like 256p, there is an interesting behavior of the TV that can be exploited.  If you increase the total lines (total, not active) to over 288 in progressive the picture will snap to a much smaller size, and a much larger resolution will fit on-screen.  If you find this value in ArcadeOSD, you'll literally see a huge change in size as you cross over it.  256p games now fit very well. 

For example, I can switch between Street Fighter II (224p) and R-Type (256p) with no service menu adjustments, and have the exact amount of overscan I want in both.  This works the same with interlaced resolutions (the boundary value is the same amount of lines per field, or double that amount per frame), and I have my desktop running in 704@512i, to make Windows a little more manageable.  So my tip is to learn to how use these two different "pictures sizes" above and below this total horizontal line value.  Optimize the smaller picture size for 224p, and the larger size for 256p. 

A real console, like a SNES or Genesis will provide a good reference for a standard "224p picture size" to shoot for when adjusting the service menu.  I also use a PS3 to output test patterns in NTSC standard 480i.  Using a PC isn't the best point of reference to begin with because your modelines can vary all over the place.

Yes, I've heard about this before, and it's something that should be considered. I wonder if that boundary total lines value is constant or depends on some other variable like vfreq or something. If it's constant, then it would be quite easy to model it by doing two separate ranges as mikecrj is doing. I believe this was designed to make these TVs autoadustable when switching between PAL/NTSC frames.

The NTSC/PAL switching theory makes perfect sense.  I think the boundary of 288 lines is constant, as I've used it with a few different resolutions of varying vertical scan rate.

I went back to a KV-27FS120 and I was not able to replicate this boundary value behavior.  I double checked, and it works consistently with both KD-27FS170's I have, but I could NOT get it working with either of my KV-27FS120's... It just seems to start losing sync around 285 lines regardless of h and v scan rates, and from what I can see through the rolling image, the size change doesn't seem to happen at 288.  The strange thing is that both models are supposed to be chassis BA-6 according to the service manual, so I feel like there must be something I'm missing.

EDIT:  I just noticed that the service manuals for these models list both as chassis type BA-6, but they also have more specific chassis numbers which are different.

KV-27FS120 - Chassis no. SCC-S61N-A
KD-27FS120 - Chassis no. SCC-S61Y-A

So, it is in fact a different model of chassis.

I'm going to try driving a KV-27FS120 tube with a KD-27FS120 chassis (SCC-S61Y-A).

Don't bother with the KD-27FS170 I mentioned above.  The size switching at 288 total lines is nice, but the picture quality is very poor.  Geometry is unstable across different modelines, and focus is awful anywhere except the center of the screen.  I had planned on trying to connect its chassis to a KV27FS-120 tube to get the best of both worlds (KD model has size switching, KV has excellent picture quality).  Upon taking it apart, I found that they actually use the same model of tube, so switching the chassis between them is no help.  The poor picture quality seems to come from the design of the chassis itself.  The two models do also have slightly different driver boards, deflection yokes, and flybacks, so I also tried switching these around in various combinations (using the KV driver board and flyback with the KV chassis took a good deal of hacking things up), but couldn't get satisfactory results.

Eventually, I spent some time looking over all the games I consider worth playing in MAME to get some perspective.  A few hundred if you really stretch the definition of "worth playing."  What I found is that among the 15kHz games (which are the great majority), anything over 240p is actually pretty rare.  224p is by far the most common, with 240p in a distant second, and a few odd resolutions in between 224-240 lines being third.  There's not a lot that's notable over 240 lines, except the Irem m72.c games (R-Type I and II, Ninja Spirit, Image Fight, X-Multiply, all 256p), and various Midway hardware games (NBA Jam/TE/Hangtime, MK I-III if you're into that, all 253p).  There are in fact only a handful of games over 240 lines per field that I'd consider worth playing, maybe a dozen, which is not significant among hundreds of others.  So, the size switching isn't that important, as it's rarely needed, and I can make some compromises with that small handful of games.

In my case I'm also using consoles, which are never more than 240 lines per field (480i is still 240 lines per field, so it's the same vertical size as 240p).  I'm also building a separate cab with a vertical screen for vertical games.  So I'll never have to deal with running vertical games on a horizontal monitor (yoko), like Jadder and some other people here are trying to pull off.

Another consideration is that KD27-FS170's are pretty rare, whereas KV-27FS120's are very common.

Long story short, I decided to stick with the KV27FS-120.

All this being said, I'll certainly be hanging on to my KD-27FS170's to scavenge the tubes out of, since they use the same ones as my KV-27FS120's.  That'll give me two more extra tubes in my stockpile to help keep my cabinets running for the foreseeable future.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:00 am »
No component input on the KV-27S26

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:31 pm »
I'll look some more for a KV-27FS120 or a KV-24FS120

Yeltsew7

• Offline Offline
    • My Messy Flash Archive
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:04 pm »
Earlier you said that to find if a TV is 15KHz you play 480p through it and if there is a picture, it is not 15KHz.  I have a component caple for my GameCube. When I start up a game with it it asks, "Do you want to use progressive scan mode? Yes/No".  If I choose yes will it use 480p? Or would it be *something else*p?  And if I pick no it will be 480i?

If I get a picture at 480p, that means that my TV isn't suitable for use as an arcade monitor, right?  I'll have to check it out when I get home.  It works fine with my NES though, so I think it supports some kind 252x240, which I believe was the standard resolution for that.  If that means anything to you.  As I said before, I don't know much about CRT monitors.