Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Launch.bat error 'solved'  (Read 6234 times)

ZoOl007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2020, 12:03:38 pm
    • RGBcommander
Launch.bat error 'solved'
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:39 pm »
Hi - first post - ,

I made myself a nice cab and great was my disappointment to have that launch.bat error staring me in the face all the time.  :banghead:
I debugged it and in the end wrote a broker that sits between  MA and LedBlinky if you like and as such solved/worked around the - in my opinion - number one show stopping bug.
A friend of mine tested it on his cab too and it works a charm.  :)
it requires a little fiddling around but no rocket science.

is anybody interested in my 'MaximusBroker' as I've called it?

rgds.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Re: Launch.bat error 'solved'
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:34:49 pm »
Just curious.  What error were you receiving?  Any screenshots?
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 02:01:12 pm »
no screenshots sorry.
there is a bug in MA if you use it in combination with ledblinky. Every action you do in MA gets passed to LB by means of a bat file allowing it to do it's blinky things. It's a weird slow way to do so but who am I... the problem is that MA always writes it twice - fast - and if it happens that the os is still busy MA can't write the bat and pops up the can't write launch.bat. it's very clear if I follow it using the argdump I wrote for this issue in combination with verbose LB dumping. And it's VERY annoying. After a lot of tinkering I found out how the two programs exactly interact and I disabled the use of LB in MA bypassing the buggy code and make use of the MA design to instruct LB what to do. The only thing I can't counter - and that's also due to MA design - is that my Maximusbroker has no way to know what emulator the user selected before launching a game and as such specific lwax sequences for specific emulators aren't supported. I pass params to LB using the shellexecute method and the MA gui feels faster because it isn't bothered with writing the bat anymore. I actually wrote the new MA owners because it's an easy fix for them but the don' really seem to care so I did it myself.

coolroy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2014, 11:20:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:08:01 am »
Hi - first post - ,

I made myself a nice cab and great was my disappointment to have that launch.bat error staring me in the face all the time.  :banghead:
I debugged it and in the end wrote a broker that sits between  MA and LedBlinky if you like and as such solved/worked around the - in my opinion - number one show stopping bug.
A friend of mine tested it on his cab too and it works a charm.  :)
it requires a little fiddling around but no rocket science.

is anybody interested in my 'MaximusBroker' as I've called it?

rgds.

Hi I have the same issue with led blinky & maximus.
Would you be able to send me a copy of your solution & possibly install instructions.
That bug is a major reason i have not fully completed my cabinet (just really need to put instruction overlay on).

If you can help then  :cheers:

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:48 am »
Hi, sure, I wrote a little manual

if you encounter problems just reply and I'll try to help - be as clear as possible - It took my friend more than half a day to make it work and to me the instructions are clear so..
but than again I'm not that much of a writer but ok , here we go...

just so you know :

It supports the maximum that one can get out of the situation and that is :
LWAX anim everywhere all the time - in game : all consoles and mame have specific colors - mame is game specific
It's beautifull to see in action without that show stopping error :) and the FE is faster too because there is no more need to 'double' write the bat on each FE action.

You can not use the FE list change animation - we can only interfere just before launch and after game quit.

What and how:
------------
Maximus Arcade 2.10 and LEDBlinky_5_1_0_3um have been used during development. I don't know if it'll work in other combinations but logically I don't see why not...
Written in c++ with code::blocks and compiled with gcc

Setup:
-----
It's not difficult to setup. It just requires some attention. Follow to the letter and you'll be fine, everything has a reason.

1/you'll have to configure LB correctly - no LB no show...
2/select in ledblinky config that you'll be using another FE and set an FE active animation
3/put maximusbroker.exe and maximusbroker.ini in the LB dir, eg the same dir as the Ledblinky.exe executable.
4/for ALL emulators deselect that you'll be using ledblinky. I found that it doesn't erase everything from the MA default.ini file so remove it manually.
It's actually easier to do things directly in the ini file.(backup first if you need a fallback)
5/for all your configured emulators add the follwing (partly) CASE SENSITIVE entries - maximusbroker is very picky about spacing etc - LB is kinda picky too - follow EXACTLY as below
Quotes are necessary in the PrelaunchLoc, PostlaunchLoc, RunOnStartupLoc, RunOnExitLoc if you have spaces... bad idea spaces...

this is the relevant part of my config - CUT and PASTE and adapt it to your system in the default.ini file in the MA dir:

PostlaunchPath=short
PostlaunchState=hidden
PostlaunchArg=9 :%name//7 :%console//:3forsweep.lwax
PostlaunchLoc=G:\LEDBlinky_5_1_0_3um_Maximus\LEDBlinky\MaximusBroker.exe
PrelaunchPath=short
PrelaunchState=hidden
PrelaunchArg=7 :%console//9 :%name//3 :%name
PrelaunchLoc=G:\LEDBlinky_5_1_0_3um_Maximus\LEDBlinky\MaximusBroker.exe

and also

Postlaunch=1
Prelaunch=1

next put this in the MA default.ini under [General]

RunOnStartupState=hidden
RunOnStartupArg=1//7 :MAME
RunOnStartupLoc=G:\LEDBlinky_5_1_0_3um_Maximus\LEDBlinky\MaximusBroker.exe
RunOnExitState=hidden
RunOnExitArg=2
RunOnExitLoc=G:\LEDBlinky_5_1_0_3um_Maximus\LEDBlinky\MaximusBroker.exe

MaximusBroker.ini allows you to switch logging on and off allowing you to see what's happening in combination with the verbose LB logging
ttwms is the time in milliseconds between each command 250 should be fine - too low and commands get out of sync in the LB buffer causing it it to cease functioning. (eg no leds)
at most 3 commands are needed each time so execution time is below 1 second.

bugs:
----
none that I know. I did notice I got no leds when starting a new emulator when it should display the std unknown leds but a second time it functions and continues to do so
It's not every day I add one so that shouldn't be a problem?

remark:
------
On starting LB takes 20 to 30 seconds on my system to prepare everything for Mame. If you happen to start a game before that's complete LB will buffer your request until it's ready.
It'll show the correct colours later on. This only happens once and it's normal behaviour.
It could be enhanced in a number of ways but I think it's fine as it is now...after all - people pursuing cabs and emulators are used to something no?

rgds

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:15:11 am
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:01:07 am »
 :cheers:
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:37 pm »
Hi people,

UPDATE

The program has been adapted to support an extra command thus restoring the Maximus Arcade pre and post launch function making it a true bug bypass.
There is no need to adapt anything from the previous version - you can just replace the exe with the new one.

I recently configured SFF for Sega Saturn and NullDC for Dreamcast and both of these were a little odd.

SFF : need to mount and unmount iso

resulting on my cab in :

PostlaunchPath=short
PostlaunchState=hidden
PostlaunchArg=9 :%name//7 :%console//:3forsweep.lwax//extra//\"C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe\"##-unmount scsi, 0
PrelaunchPath=short
PrelaunchState=hidden
PrelaunchArg=7 :%console//9 :%name//3 :%name//extra//\"C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe\"##-mount scsi, 0,\"%file\"

NullDC : push alt-enter two times to force full screen. I use a 'compiled' ahk script

resulting om my cab in :

PostlaunchPath=short
PostlaunchState=hidden
PostlaunchArg=9 :%name//7 :%console//:3forsweep.lwax
PrelaunchPath=short
PrelaunchState=hidden
PrelaunchArg=7 :%console//9 :%name//3 :%name//extra//\"G:\Sega - Dreamcast\Emu\nullDC_104_r136\launch.exe\"

Usage is clear from the examples I think. //extra// is the trigger followed by the command you want. If that command has parameters you need to split them from the exe using ##
that way ik can feed'em properly to shellexecute. Quotes need to be escaped via a backslash. spaces... always difficult spaces...

It should work for every command that works in Maximus Arcade.

regards

Soulchip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2017, 07:41:09 am
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:04 pm »
Hello, I'm using your Maximumbroker.exe, but I found a very big big problem using it, and I really need it, after working on my arcade for 1 month and completing everything this is the last thing I need to make it fully functional.

The problem is that maximum broker uses these lines in General:

RunOnStartupState=hidden
RunOnStartupArg=1//7 :MAME
RunOnStartupLoc=G:\LEDBlinky_5_1_0_3um_Maximus\LEDBlinky\MaximusBroker.exe
RunOnExitState=hidden
RunOnExitArg=2
RunOnExitLoc=G:\LEDBlinky_5_1_0_3um_Maximus\LEDBlinky\MaximusBroker.exe

And I need those line for 2 things

On startup I use VolCab.exe to control volumen using keys or the happcontrol spinner.

On exit I need to tell maximum arcade to execute explorer.exe to initiate windows.

Could you PLEASE make a fix for this? I could pay you, please, just tell me how much you want and I pay for it.

Soulchip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 06:22:23 pm »
I wish arzoo would fix this problem, a lot of people use maximus arcade even today, it is a very good frontend even with all the competition there is today, very easy to setup and very easy to add new emulators/systems that weren't available before. I didn't have this problem under windows xp with maximus arcade, but now under windows 7 it seems to have this problem, even that now the computer has 4gb ram (it had 1gb only before).

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 08:18:05 pm »
So the problem.... seems to be Windows 7...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Soulchip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 09:09:14 pm »
No the problem is the iteraction between MA and LB, this is a known bug, but MA has no more support and arzoo cannot fix it i think because MA has no more support... but actually MA is a very well known and used frontend...  i'm trying to use maximusbroker but it seems that it is not a solution either, it makes weird things and doesn't display the correct animations... I wish ledblinky would just work .... ma is such a great frontend, but this bug is very annoying and is throwing away an entire month of configurations and modifications to complete my arcade. This is the only thing left to do. make the lights work properly...using ledblinky makes everything work properlly, but every random time this bug appears and it's really annoying having to press enter every time i change a game or a system.

sorry if my english is weird, it is hard to me to explain, i'm not very good with english
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:16:05 pm by Soulchip »

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »
I wish arzoo would fix this problem,

It's unfortunate that the LEDBlinky integration with MA was implemented so poorly. If I could fix it I would, but I have no control over the MA code, nor the MaximusBroker script.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Soulchip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:41:44 am »
I wish arzoo would fix this problem,

It's unfortunate that the LEDBlinky integration with MA was implemented so poorly. If I could fix it I would, but I have no control over the MA code, nor the MaximusBroker script.

Is there a way to implement maximusbroker script into ledblinky? Is there a way to make ledblinky do what maximusbroker does, but making the configuration easier? I may be doing something wrong because i cannot seem to make the lights do their correct animation everytime i exit an emulator, enter it, play it, etc. With ledblinky alone all this was working perfect (everything but that annoying .bat error hehe).

Thank you for your reply, i know that there isn't much u can do from your side, but i still have hopes that there is a way to fix this.  :notworthy:

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 09:30:14 am »
Is there a way to implement maximusbroker script into ledblinky? Is there a way to make ledblinky do what maximusbroker does, but making the configuration easier?

Both MA and MaximusBroker send commands to LEDBlinky (MA Start, Game Start, Game Quit, MA Exit, etc.). It's not possible for LEDBlinky to send commands to itself or detect what MA is doing - it just doesn't work that way.

If I understand correctly, the problem you have with MaximusBroker is that is uses RunOnStartupLoc and RunOnExitLoc to start/stop itself (MB) but you want to use those parameters to start/stop VolCab. It might be possible to create a script or batch file that starts/stops both executables (MB and VolCab). The script would also have to accept parameters and pass them on to MB correctly.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Soulchip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 09:39:07 am »
Is there a way to implement maximusbroker script into ledblinky? Is there a way to make ledblinky do what maximusbroker does, but making the configuration easier?

Both MA and MaximusBroker send commands to LEDBlinky (MA Start, Game Start, Game Quit, MA Exit, etc.). It's not possible for LEDBlinky to send commands to itself or detect what MA is doing - it just doesn't work that way.

If I understand correctly, the problem you have with MaximusBroker is that is uses RunOnStartupLoc and RunOnExitLoc to start/stop itself (MB) but you want to use those parameters to start/stop VolCab. It might be possible to create a script or batch file that starts/stops both executables (MB and VolCab). The script would also have to accept parameters and pass them on to MB correctly.

I managed to make maximus broker work properly now, it sometimes keeps doing weird things like displaying the wrong animation but, it works mostly ok i think, the only problem now is executing maximusbroker and volcab on runonstartuploc and executing explorer.exe and maximusbroker on runonexitloc.

Any idea how to do this? i don't know anything about scripts...i can modify them if i know what they do, but i cannot make one from scratch.  :-\

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 09:51:31 am »
I managed to make maximus broker work properly now, it sometimes keeps doing weird things like displaying the wrong animation but, it works mostly ok i think, the only problem now is executing maximusbroker and volcab on runonstartuploc and executing explorer.exe and maximusbroker on runonexitloc.

Any idea how to do this? i don't know anything about scripts...i can modify them if i know what they do, but i cannot make one from scratch.  :-\

All I can suggest is doing some research on Windows Powershell or batch files. The other option would be to contact ZoOl007 and see if he would be willing to modify MaximusBroker so that it can optionally start/stop an additional executable (VolCab in your case).
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Soulchip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 11:35:01 am »

All I can suggest is doing some research on Windows Powershell or batch files. The other option would be to contact ZoOl007 and see if he would be willing to modify MaximusBroker so that it can optionally start/stop an additional executable (VolCab in your case).

Yes I tried to contact him but it seems that he doesn't read this forum so much (or his mail), maybe he is on vacations or working, I think he may be able to do this modification, like the //extra// command but for the general section of default.ini.

ZoOl007

• Offline Offline
    • RGBcommander
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 04:51:06 pm »
in case anyone else has the same problem  - this is what I answered to his mail

I haven't looked at that source for ages but given your problem description I see an easy fix. Just use 2 bat files and launch them with http://www.commandline.co.uk/cmdow/
and the hid option

that should do the trick.

ps : it doesn't do weird things - it works fine on my and some other cabs I know about...

all the best