Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT_Emudriver + Retroarch  (Read 32817 times)

Monkee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 09:37:30 am
Re: CRT_Emudriver + Retroarch
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 05:19:54 pm »
I got an answer from the RetroArch devs about the idea of making RA Switchres-friendly and they seem interested!
They'd like to know more so I sent you a PM Calamity (and of course one to bitbytebit too) but in case your message box is full and you don't receive it, let me know.  ;)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 10:04:25 am »
Hi Monkee,

I'll bring the post here:

Postby hunterk » Wed May 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Just an update and some questions about switchres. I've been talking with maister about this and while I don't think it's feasible to incorporate SwitchRes' code and functionality directly, we might be able to smooth using it with RetroArch.

SwitchRes has a standalone utility that can be used to generate modelines that are native to a game yet safe for your monitor, correct? Can this utility be used in a batch mode? That would allow users to set up all of their modelines ahead of time (in xorg.conf and/or EDID, for example) and then RetroArch could set fullscreen resolution based on those modes (particularly when running in KMS mode).

Approaching from another angle, I see that SwitchRes standalone has a commandline option for --emulator where you can specify emulators other than MAME for it to work with. What other emulators are supported by this? What would RetroArch need to expose to be supported in this way?

I think that for the specific task you're requesting this feature (basically being able to perform resolution switching within a game for PSX and such platforms) there's really no point in incorporating SwitchRes into RetroArch. As Hunterk is explaining it is a better idea to just assume that the modelines are already available to RetroArch in the first place.

So let's consider the scenario where you have properly configured a system with two modelines such as 2560x240@60 and 2560x480i@60 (which is trivial to achieve in both Windows & Linux).

What you want the emulator to do is to be able to dynamically switch between both modelines, depending on the vertical resolution requested by the emulated hardware.

Without having the minimal knowledge of the internal details of RA, dynamic resolution switching may involve some refactoring of the DirectX full screen implementation. Basically you need to destroy the current device and create it again with the new resolution, with all the additional caution required if you're running several threads for the video.

You also need to implement some logic for best mode picking, in case it's not already included. This logic could operate on the whole mode list returned by the OS, or simply on an user defined mode list. I believe that like most emulators, RA only allows to specify a single resolution for full screen mode, by using the video_fullscreen_x & video_fullscreen_y options, so specifying an user mode list would involve implementing an array of these options.

A solution for not implementing that array would be using "resolution masks", like this:

video_fullscreen_x = 2560
video_fullscreen_y = 0

Here "0" would be used like a wildcard. If "0" is already used to indicate the desktop resolution, another value could be used ("1", or whatever).

Then, when the emulator detects a resolution switch request, it would decide which from the list of 2560x resolutions better fits the requested height.

As a note: a proper full screen configuration for any emulator should contain 3 values, not 2:

video_fullscreen_x = ?
video_fullscreen_y = ?
video_fullscreen_refresh = ?

That's the only way to unambiguously target a certain video mode in the Windows OS.

Finally, answering Hunterk's question, SwitchRes supports any emulator provided it takes command line options, it just launches the emulator with the specified options and performs a mode switch previously if specified, this is useful for emulators that are only capable of running at the desktop resolution. My understanding is that if the above or something similar was implemented then launching the games with SwitchRes wouldn't be necessary.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »
Thanks a lot Calamity, I transferred your recommendations to Hunterk, they are working on it now! :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:41:10 pm by Monkee »

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:18 am »
Hi guys, I have a bad news for those who like Retroarch but play on 15khz CRT.

hunterk, the dev who wanted to help us said that implementing resolution masks support (or something similar) is out of his skillset.  :'(
BUT he's still willing to make it happen and if anyone has skills in this matter and would like to get involved, he would point them in the right direction and give his help.

Here is the thread in question: HERE.
Who wants to be our hero?  ;)

webodan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2019, 06:05:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 11:55:13 am »
Sorry for necroposting, but I'd like to give an update on this topic;

As of now, I'd say that RetroArch, with a cfg for each of its emulated systems, is pixel perfect in 15Khz, since you can set a custom resolution and aspect ratio in each cfg using video_fullscreen_x and video_fullscreen_y with your desired resolution and the emulator will switch upon loading that cfg, then you go to Settings - Video - Aspect ratio and you set the resolution there as well.

I have tested with Master System and Genesis games with a cfg for each system, using Genesis Plus GX, and one cfg with 320x224 for Genesis, then one in 256x192 for Master System, and for what I see it's perfectly smooth, pixel perfect, syncs better to my screens than Kega, FreezeSMS or Meka due to RetroArch syncing to the exact refresh rate of the modeline.

Using RetroArch 1.2.2 with nightly cores, in Windows 7 x64. Try it! I wouldn't go back, honestly.

kortina

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2019, 05:06:26 am
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 07:11:34 am »
I am new to RetroArch

I have just got my 15kHz setup working.

I have the 1.2.2 Stable release, and the Nightly core "genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll"

I have modified the cfg file, but I cant get it to switch...

I am using the CRT Emu drivers and have Groovymame running perfect.

Could you put together the super simple steps?

Would it matter if I am attempting the changes from a 1024x768 display? I figured it should just say out of range, then plugin the 15kHz.

kortina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 06:02:30 pm »
I found this: https://gist.github.com/Monroe88/dbd3e01252afa5c50690

I will test out the following later tonight (for Sega Genesis/Megadrive):

video_fullscreen_x = "2560" (because I am using 'Super resolutions')
video_fullscreen_y = "224"   (because the Genesis is 320x224)
video_refresh_rate = "60.0"  (because Genesis was 60hz NTSC)
video_aspect_ratio = "8.0"   (because video_fullscreen_x is 2560 and we want to divide it by 8 to get to 320... either that or try 11.42 to get it to divide by 224)

video_windowed_fullscreen = false   (this is what I was doing wrong... # Must be set to false for video_fullscreen_x and video_fullscreen_y to be used. )

video_black_frame_insertion = "false"   (this is false because I am using a 15kHz setup @60, this would be for the 31kHz guys running @120Hz)

Will let you all know how it goes.

Code: [Select]
# Fullscreen resolution. Resolution of 0 uses the resolution of the desktop.
6 # Note, you must create the modeline in your OS video driver settings for this to work.
7 video_fullscreen_x = "3840"
8 video_fullscreen_y = "480"

10 # Refresh rate of the resolution mode.
11 # As of git revision 4afbd068, this is used to set the video mode refresh rate on Windows.
12 # If using black frame insertion, set this to 1/2 of the actual display refresh rate.
13 video_refresh_rate = "60.0"

15 # A floating point value for video aspect ratio (width / height) used when aspect_ratio_index is 19 (Config)
16 # If this is not set, aspect ratio is assumed to be automatic.
17 # If using a superwide CRT resolution, set this to (video_fullscreen_x / video_fullscreen_y)
18 video_aspect_ratio = "8.0"

20 # Index of the aspect ratio selection in the menu.
21 # 19 = Config, 20 = 1:1 PAR, 21 = Core Provided, 22 = Custom Viewport
22 aspect_ratio_index = "19"

24 # Which monitor to prefer. 0 (default) means no particular monitor is preferred, 1 and up (1 being first monitor),
25 # suggests RetroArch to use that particular monitor.
26 video_monitor_index = "0"

28 # Start in fullscreen. Can be changed at runtime.
29 video_fullscreen = "true"

31 # If fullscreen, prefer using a windowed fullscreen mode.
32 # Must be set to false for video_fullscreen_x and video_fullscreen_y to be used.
33 video_windowed_fullscreen = false

35 # Inserts a black frame in between frames.
36 # Useful for 120 Hz monitors who want to play 60 Hz material with eliminated ghosting.
37 # video_refresh_rate should still be configured as if it is a 60 Hz monitor (divide refresh rate by 2).
38 # The video mode selected will have a refresh rate of twice the value of video_refresh_rate when this is set to true.
39 video_black_frame_insertion = "false"

41 # Interval at which a Vsync swap is performed.
42 # 1 is normal, 2 is doubled frames, 3 is tripled frames, etc.
43 video_swap_interval = "1"

45 # Custom viewport dimensions that are used if aspect_ratio_index is 22 (Custom Viewport)
46 custom_viewport_width = "3840"
47 custom_viewport_height = "448"

49 # Custom viewport offsets used for defining the position of the viewport.
50 # These are ignored if video_scale_integer is true, it will automatically be centered.
51 custom_viewport_x = "0"
52 custom_viewport_y = "0"

54 # Only scales video in integer steps.
55 # The base size depends on system-reported geometry and aspect ratio.
56 # Automatically centers custom viewports as well
57 video_scale_integer = "true"

59 # Allows libretro cores to set rotation modes.
60 # Setting this to false will honor, but ignore this request.
61 # This is useful for vertically oriented content where one manually rotates the monitor.
62 video_allow_rotate = "true"

64 # Forces a certain rotation of the screen.
65 # The rotation is added to rotations which the libretro core sets (see video_allow_rotate).
66 # The angle is <value> * 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
67 video_rotation = "0"

69 # Path to shader. Shader can be either Cg, CGP (Cg preset) or GLSL, GLSLP (GLSL preset)
70 # Recommended to set this to point to [config_filename].cgp, so it will simply load your working shader preset for this config so you can easily save changes to your shader even if config_save_on_exit is false.
71 #video_shader = ":\shaders\cgp\tvout+interlacing\tvout+interlacing.cgp"
72 video_shader = ":\shaders\480p.cgp"

74 # CPU-based video filter. Path to a dynamic library.
75 video_filter = ""

77 # Load video_shader on startup.
78 # Other shaders can still be loaded later in runtime.
79 video_shader_enable = "true"

81 # Video vsync.
82 video_vsync = "true"

kortina

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2015, 05:05:17 am »
I ended up with these key settings:

video_aspect_ratio = "11.420000"
video_aspect_ratio_auto = "false"
video_windowed_fullscreen = "false"
video_fullscreen = "true"
video_refresh_rate = "60.000000"
video_monitor_index = "0"
video_fullscreen_x = "2560"
video_fullscreen_y = "224"
video_vsync = "true"
aspect_ratio_index = "19"

The result is a great smooth scrolling system. I am fairly sure that I have hit the perfect 1:1 pixel map!

emubastard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2018, 07:10:57 pm
  • I met your mom once, she looked like Ms. PacMan!
    • Emubastard
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2015, 01:10:29 am »
I added

video_smooth = "false"

This disabled bilinear filtering.  This made the image MUCH sharper.
-Bastard

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:10:27 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2015, 03:06:32 am »
Please, can you post settings for NES and SNES as well?

Thank you very much.

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 09:48:31 am »
Hi!

I have problems with Retroarch switching to fullscreen. I used settings Kortina posted in combination with Monroe88's fullscreen CRT template.cfg.

When I start the Retroarch I get the problem shown in picture screenshot, which is attached to this message.

But, when I go to ArcadeOSD and select my desktop resolution to 2560x224 and then start Retroarch, then everything is working fine and picture is filling the screen. But this is impossible task to do since the image is heavily distorted and difficult to navigate.

I have win7 x64, HD 4850, CRT Emudriver 1.2b (Catalyst 13.1) for Windows 7-64 + VMMaker + Arcade_OSD 1.4b and I have 2560x224@60 video mode created by Vmmaker as static video mode. I use static video modes because I have few other emulators like c64, amiga, ps1, ps2 etc.

Did anyone had similar issues?

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 10:42:38 am »
I figured out what was the issue. I was running the latest Retroarch 1.3.0 instead 1.2.2. Now everything works fine.

The bad thing is, we have again Retroarch that doesnt want to work with CRTEmu drivers...

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2016, 11:55:25 am »
I ended up with these key settings:

video_aspect_ratio = "11.420000"
video_aspect_ratio_auto = "false"
video_windowed_fullscreen = "false"
video_fullscreen = "true"
video_refresh_rate = "60.000000"
video_monitor_index = "0"
video_fullscreen_y = "224"
video_vsync = "true"
aspect_ratio_index = "19"

The result is a great smooth scrolling system. I am fairly sure that I have hit the perfect 1:1 pixel map!

I used these settings for Retroarch to emulate megadrive and it work perfectly. Smooth scrolling and no stretching! Thanks!

I tried to setup Retroarch display resolution to work with SNES, but I'm getting image stretching artifacts. What would be the settings for SNES? It has a 256x224 resolution and 60hz refresh rate.

Many thanks in advance!

tom5151

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2023, 09:21:11 am
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2016, 04:02:09 pm »
Hi @R-Typer,
Could you post an archive with all ini / cfg files you use for Genesis.
I've tried to make it work in 15k, but retroarch looks so much complicated to me!
Thanks,

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2016, 04:25:19 pm »
Hi tom5151,

Here is the .txt file. Rename it to .cfg and place it to retroarch folder.

You have make 2560x224@60hz video mode in VMMaker for this to work as intended.

Also if you have x64 OS, you will need x64 Retroarch and x64 cores.

tom5151

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
Thanks a lot, I will give it a try tmrw.

cyb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 04:25:20 pm
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2016, 05:53:28 pm »

I used these settings for Retroarch to emulate megadrive and it work perfectly. Smooth scrolling and no stretching! Thanks!

I tried to setup Retroarch display resolution to work with SNES, but I'm getting image stretching artifacts. What would be the settings for SNES? It has a 256x224 resolution and 60hz refresh rate.

Many thanks in advance!

Try 2560 x 240, this displays snes perfectly on my system, (after aspect ratio adjustments of course)

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2016, 06:30:25 am »

Try 2560 x 240, this displays snes perfectly on my system, (after aspect ratio adjustments of course)

Hi cyb,

I can't get the proper image to display at all: its all stretched and badly centered (around 15% of picture is missing from the right side).

Would you share your working SNES retroarch.cfg file with us?

Thanks so much!

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 03:53:18 pm »
Does anyone have a halved refresh rate (29hz) when Retroarch resolution is set to interlaced resolutions? For example 720x480@60? It works fine in 224p and 240p. Is this the dreaded halved refresh rate bug that windows 7 has?

I thought Retroarch shouldn't have this bug as it uses OpenGL or Direct3D?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:00:40 pm by R-Typer »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 04:02:33 pm »
It works fine in 224p and 240p. Is this the dreaded halved refresh rate bug that windows 7 has?

Indeed.

??

Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

tom5151

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2016, 04:17:58 pm »
Hi @R-Typer,
Thanks for your yesterday retroarch config, it's just perfect :)
I've tried to change resolution and aspect ratio for snes, and it works fine as well:
Code: [Select]
video_fullscreen_y = "240"
video_aspect_ratio = "10.666667"
custom_viewport_width = "2560"
custom_viewport_height = "240"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:41:14 pm by tom5151 »

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2016, 04:58:41 pm »
It works fine in 224p and 240p. Is this the dreaded halved refresh rate bug that windows 7 has?

Indeed.

??

I tried to change retroarch video driver to OpenGL and D3D and they both produce halved refresh rate issue. I thought this bug is only with windows 7 DDraw?

Is this retroarch related? As other D3D and OpenGL emulators dont have this problem.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:01:07 pm by R-Typer »

cyb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2016, 12:32:13 am »

Hi cyb,

I can't get the proper image to display at all: its all stretched and badly centered (around 15% of picture is missing from the right side).

Would you share your working SNES retroarch.cfg file with us?

Thanks so much!

My apologies, I forgot that I had to switch to 2560x224 The resolution is 2560x240, but I had to change the viewport from 240 to 224 when I upgraded to a newer version of retroarch. I also had to turn integer scaling OFF and adjust the aspect ratio until there were no artifacts. I have attached my config. It's setup for a 19" sony pvm so you may need to make further adjustments for your particular display.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:34:02 am by cyb »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2016, 07:03:16 am »
I tried to change retroarch video driver to OpenGL and D3D and they both produce halved refresh rate issue. I thought this bug is only with windows 7 DDraw?

It is a "feature" of Windows 7 drivers (probably imposed by W7 design), and affects all APIs, but with DDraw we can force a workaround by doing vsync "manually". Indeed GM forced DDraw with interlaced modes because of this.

Is this retroarch related? As other D3D and OpenGL emulators dont have this problem.

If you don't see this problem it's because vsync is not being enabled.
Steps to create a log:

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2016, 01:41:45 pm »
Thank you Calamity for the explanation. I really appreciate it!!!

@cyb
Thanks!!! SNES is working now flawlessy. Looking beautifull!

cyb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2016, 11:57:57 pm »
Thank you Calamity for the explanation. I really appreciate it!!!

@cyb
Thanks!!! SNES is working now flawlessy. Looking beautifull!

glad you got it working!  :cheers: 

tom5151

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2016, 11:48:24 am »
I figured out what was the issue. I was running the latest Retroarch 1.3.0 instead 1.2.2. Now everything works fine.

The bad thing is, we have again Retroarch that doesnt want to work with CRTEmu drivers...
Did you find any workaround with Retroarch 1.3.0 ?
I was trying this version because I have some tearings with 1.2.2 (mednafen pace fast core).

emubastard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2018, 07:10:57 pm
  • I met your mom once, she looked like Ms. PacMan!
    • Emubastard
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2016, 12:08:08 pm »
Speaking of RetroArch 1.3.  The www.libretro.com site seems to be dead.  Does anyone know where I can get it?
-Bastard

tom5151

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2016, 12:19:47 pm »
Speaking of RetroArch 1.3.  The www.libretro.com site seems to be dead.  Does anyone know where I can get it?
The site is not down from my place.
Try this : http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.0/windows/x86_64/

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 04:36:28 pm
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2016, 02:54:19 pm »
As far as i know, you have to set the desktop resolution to a progressive resolution for retroarch 1.3 to work, doesn't happen with 1.2.

tom5151

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2016, 11:44:58 am »
As far as i know, you have to set the desktop resolution to a progressive resolution for retroarch 1.3 to work, doesn't happen with 1.2.
You're right, it's working if I switch resolution to progressive mode before launching retroarch.
Bu I don't understand, @Calamity explained there was a bug since win 7 for switching from progressive to non a progressive mode in ddraw.
But, in this case, my retroarch configuration is "gl" so we shouldn't be impacted by this bug !

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 04:36:28 pm
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2016, 03:41:17 pm »
That's true. By the way, The problem isn't exclusive to crt emudriver.
Just tried starting retroarch while the desktop is set to 1080i on my main pc, Nvidia Geforce gtx 660, and it still doesn't work.

Elbaid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2017, 12:46:00 pm
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 08:01:28 am »
Just tried these exact settings with genesis games and modified the resolution/aspect for PSX and SNES.
I get perfect syncing/scrolling overall, but the performance suffers a lot, that's with an Intel i7 @ 4.4! MAME runs perfectly, but I'd like the extra games support provided in Retroarch.

My card is HD 4350, would upgrading this help or is it CPU specific? Thanks

*EDIT* I'm using 2.0 drivers with Windows 7 x64
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:27:35 am by Elbaid »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2016, 11:05:58 am »
but I'd like the extra games support provided in Retroarch.

What exactly? Do you mean things that use interlaced modes? Is that where you get bad performance?
Steps to create a log:

Elbaid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2017, 12:46:00 pm
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 12:25:55 pm »
No not interlaced. It's mainly megadrive and snes. When starting a game there's a lot of stuttering for a few seconds, then regular stutters during gameplay, especially when there's a lot going on onscreen, but it's very inconsistent. I set rewind to false in the .cfg and that seems to improve performance greatly, but thought this was off by default.

I'm mainly experimenting. I see no reason to run snes and megadrive games via retroarch when they run without a hitch in mame, but I want retroarch set up for the games I can't play in mame such as psx games and certain incompatible snes games (only clock tower so far)

A video card upgrade is still tempting now that crtemu supports newer cards, but I'm not sure what difference it'll make for 240p gaming

retrorepair

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 04:49:58 pm
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2018, 01:22:20 pm »
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but in the scenario you propose above Calamity, how would video_fullscreen_refresh generate a refresh suitable (or closest to) the correct refresh without using SwitchRes?

Also, where is the "standalone" version references here as I can't find it anywhere. Assuming we are talking about Windows here?
My arcade racing setup:
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/retrorepair

Alphanu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2021, 08:08:18 am
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2018, 01:11:36 pm »
Hi All.

Let me introduce myself, I am a games programmer and have started looking into emulation. I have started work acuratly representing Retroarch emulator on a CRT. To be honest I am very close now and it is looking very good.

I've come here to share my project with you and to pick @calamity's brain.

Firstly I have created a version of Retroarch that;

A. Swithes to the correct resolutions for the core / game on the fly.

B. Switches the games FPS/ refresh on the fly to match the refresh of the original hardware.

This means the games look and run at the same speed as the original hardware did.

In order for this to work you need Calamity's CRTemudriver ( thanks for the awsome work on this Calamity). I've had to create a bunch of native resolutions such as 320 x 244 @59.940 for example. As well as many others.

I would say it's almost perfect  ;) Moving on I would like to start using super resolutions and hoping to incorporate dynamic hz!?

Calamity I am generating in realtime actual resolutions and actual hz. Is there a way for me to utilise the dynamic hz that can be setup with vmmaker. A function for changing it to what is requested and then setting it back?

This would be the final hurdle for acuralty emulating consoles for CRT. Yes the way I have it now does work really well but I will eventually run out of mode lines lol

Any pointer here would be an awesome help.

Here is a video of my progress.

Thanks in advance.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2018, 11:29:27 am »
Hi Alphanu,

I've been following your work. It's great.

Calamity I am generating in realtime actual resolutions and actual hz. Is there a way for me to utilise the dynamic hz that can be setup with vmmaker. A function for changing it to what is requested and then setting it back?

This is what the standalone Switchres was used for. However it hasn't been updated in years and won't even work with new cards. I'm planning to restart the standalone Switchres project based on current development. Your project and probably emu4crt could be a good excuse for it.

The other easier/faster possibility is to add this functionality to existing VMMaker. However this would make it Windows-only, while Switchres should work for both Windows and Linux.

The idea is to untangle and extract current Switchres from GroovyMAME, then create a library that can be either merged with other emulators, and a command-line frontend that serves as Switchres standalone, so you have the option to do either a static-link it or just a simple shell.

Unfortunately I can't say when would this be ready, but I'll give it higher priority.
Steps to create a log:

Alphanu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2021, 08:08:18 am
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2018, 09:46:52 am »
That's sounds great. Having a library for swithres would help with porting other emulators to CRT a lot easier. If the need is there.

Would it create modelines on the fly to switch too? I assume we'd still need to use windows or linux APIs to swith the resolutions!?

If you could port it to Vmmaker quickly it would be a good test bench for us to test with emu4crt or RA.

If you need any help, let me know. I'll be happy to help out.

veggav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 09:41:30 am
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2018, 05:43:50 pm »
That's sounds great. Having a library for swithres would help with porting other emulators to CRT a lot easier. If the need is there.

Would it create modelines on the fly to switch too? I assume we'd still need to use windows or linux APIs to swith the resolutions!?

If you could port it to Vmmaker quickly it would be a good test bench for us to test with emu4crt or RA.

If you need any help, let me know. I'll be happy to help out.

Alphanu are you Ben Templeman on Facebook?
It would be a huge coincidence two people working at the same goal at the same time on this.