Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: USB Switch for my logitech wheel going to my PC and PS2  (Read 2994 times)

SegaOutrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
USB Switch for my logitech wheel going to my PC and PS2
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:19:06 am »
I need some input from people who know more than me regarding USB connections. Im using my Momo Logitech for my PC wheel and it is a ps2/ps3 compatible wheel and I am curious if something like this usb switch would work in my cabinet as an easy way to add more games without having to move the cabinet, unplug the wheel and replug into the ps2/ps3?

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-One-Button-Swapping-Between-Computers/dp/B006Z0Q2SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393567591&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+switch

it has one input and two outputs. My understand is that I need something that is passive (essential working only as an extension cable) and not something like a standard usb hub because it will not recognize the wheel.

Am i correct? Will this work? will something else do what i need? or am I SOL for (x) reason?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: USB Switch for my logitech wheel going to my PC and PS2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:46:10 am »
I can't really attest to this particular product, but if I were to make a switch I would just disconnect the ground and 5v line from the usb device not in use.  Even for passive usb devices, if that ground wire doesn't get a specific range of power back the device isn't detected.  The disconnection of the serial lines aren't nearly as important, because without power they can't really transmit anyway.

I think it should work... usb, for all it's mystery  is a 5v powered serial port, but the only way to know for certain is to try it. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:11:11 am »
Swoosh is a sound I heard over my head. But if Im reading it correctly, you giving it a "maybe". I looked at the questions asked page on amazon and some one said that they were using an ext hdd with this switch so it seem like it would provide enough power? or is that unrelated to what you say?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 03:34:29 am »
Well what I was getting at is how It probably operates is to kill the 5v and ground line connections on the pc not in use.  So it should be harmless to try but depending upon the wheel itself and how it operates it may or may not work. 

Every wheel I've ever seen gets it's power for the logic pcb via the usb port, so in theory when you cut those lines it should reset itself... but again it depends upon how the switch is constructed. 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:23:26 am »
koo, i think i understand you now. I think i will give it a try in the next few weeks since my computer kinda struggles with pcsx2.