Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Converting Daytona USA 2 twin to PC/Xbox 360  (Read 6500 times)

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Converting Daytona USA 2 twin to PC/Xbox 360
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:09:28 am »
Hi Guys,

I loved my Daytona USA 2 twin but one of the video boards crapped out and became hard to get and expensive, so I made the decision to convert to PC/Xbox 360. I started removing everything last week leaving just the frame and cleaned out both machines. Installed 2 32" LCD monitors in and utilized the original bezel around the monitor by cutting out the grills etc and filled the mess left with plastic putty to make smooth walls etc again and sanded/painted. I've got 2 Fanatec GT2 Wheels and I didn't want to cut the dash out so I have made up a couple extension shafts so I don't have too. I chose not to keep the original Sega Pedals and instead inverted the pedals from Logitech G25's and attached to panel. I haven't decided on what shifter I will use yet as I don't like the Logitech shifter or the Fanatec Shifters much

Ill post some pics soon once everything is basically finished maybe over next couple weeks

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer....On the Daytona 2 twin I have a topper which had a flouro lights on the far left and right side which lit up when that player was in 1st position. Does Sega Model 2 Emulator or Supermodel Emulator etc have the ability to transmit outputs or such so that I can still use this? It was a cool feature which I would like to keep if possible

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
Re: Converting Daytona USA 2 twin to PC/Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:16 am »
I would use the original 4 speed Daytona shifters hacked through a jamma to USB or game pad.

My ridge racer 2 has the leader lights also, I never even looked into how to make them work.

Chur

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:18:21 am »
Yeah I did consider using the 4 speed shifter but I want the ability for 6 gears + reverse as I won't be just using Arcade 4 speed games. Since my wheel works on Xbox 360/PS3 and PC

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:10:33 am »
Does Sega Model 2 Emulator or Supermodel Emulator etc have the ability to transmit outputs or such so that I can still use this? It was a cool feature which I would like to keep if possible

Yes, but it requires some extra software.

Both require Howard Casto's MAMEHooker: http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/static.php?page=aboutmamehooker

Sega Model 2 Emulator will also require his Troubleshooter 2 (Shoot Harder): http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/static.php?page=aboutTS2
(currently Troubleshooter 2 only works with version 1.0 of M2emulator)

I'm not sure what build added outputs to supermodel.  It may have been an interim since the last official release, so track down the most recent SVN build.  If Bart holds to tradition, he'll make a new official release on April 1st.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:12:26 am by BadMouth »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:35:43 pm »
what do I need from mamehooker etc to then send the power to the lights on topper? There must be some kinda controller or such which operates a relay or something?

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »
You'll want to buy something like a PacDrive to get USB based light output from your PC (make sure you check software compatibility first) after that you'll likely need to hook it up to a relay to switch the lights on and of since the Pac Drive itself wont be able to power your lights.

chance are the arcade machine had a light driver or relay board in it that you might be able to hook the pacdrive up to instead of using a relay since the original arcade hardware would have had the same issue.

I'm currently working through a similar issue on my Dance Dance Revolution machine and I was able to just tap into the original light control board for a fairly streamlined setup.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 05:01:10 pm »
Small update: Attempted to extend shaft length on fanatec gt2 wheels but wasn't happy with the result. So put wheels back together and cut out dash instead. A lot happier with the result. Had troubles with one of my wheels where it stopped taking pedal input, so had to replace the wheel too. Daytona 2 twin is up and running but with no shifters yet and now one of my pcs keeps doing BSOD  :angry:

Also got 2 other racing simulators setup with 2 logitech g25 wheels but using original sega pedals and swapped out potentiometers to 10k ohm to work with g25 wheels. 4 player setup now !! With 4 seperate pcs

I wanna setup 4 lights for leader light to flash when that player is in lead, not sure if I can do this with only 1 ledwiz and mamehooker or if I need ledwiz per pc.

I'll post some pics soon

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:41:52 am »
It entirely depends upon the output(s) themselves.  If the outputs for all 4 drivers are all reported by one machine (unlikely) you could use one, otherwise, you'll need one per machine. 

But a ledwiz to control only 4 lamps is a bit overkill.  You may want to try a parallel port interface or something similar.