Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 80's driving game  (Read 55954 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: 80's driving game
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2014, 04:23:17 pm »
Can someone invent a 48 hour day?
Yes please!

Got some better rock graphics in. I don't have capture software on my laptop so I made a quick video with my mobile phone.

The video also shows the spin/flip/fall animation with the placeholders (the flip is a bit exaggerated- mainly for testing).
The screenshots give a better idea of the graphics, but seeing it move is way better.
Graphics for this level that are in progress: tunnel, "warning falling rocks" sign and a guardrails.

Pure awesome sauce man.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2014, 04:36:12 pm »
Pure awesome sauce man.

New video, captured instead of shot with mobile phone (set to 720p for best quality).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:38:50 pm by Felsir »

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »
Cool.

Can we get a mad max level with a merciless mode that will extend the players time if we run a car other than our own off the side of the cliff?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:12 am
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »
That looks amazing  :applaud:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2014, 06:52:36 pm »
I am slowly chipping away at the sprites, its a little more daunting then I thought it'd be.  Ive locked down the palette so you be able to add selectable colors (or I can recolor them in photoshop).

Also in my infinite wisdom, I moved the file from my home PC to my work laptop, then deleted the XML from my work laptop, so I have to start from scratch. Good news is Im much better at the editor than before :p Can you email me the cow sprite, so I can make some other sprites based on it?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2014, 07:56:11 am »
Here you go: the cows.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2014, 08:31:56 am »
Looking much nicer.  :)

A minor gripe... but its annoying...    can you fix the line dividers on the road?    Where the car is, you currently can fit about 3 to 4 cars width from the diving line to the edge of the road.   Its ruins the scale of things.

A little bit of shoulder is ok... and welcome, in some areas.

On the above picture... do not forget the shadows, as well as the texture under the rocks probably shouldnt be merely road.  It should be something like a rock color at minimum (past the shoulder),  and or some gravely surface.

I agree with this. The car looks way too small because of the esta wide lanes. But, things are really looking amazing.
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2014, 12:35:04 pm »
I havent checked other racers,  but it appears Outrun locks the road lines to the alternating color blocks.   This actually make it look a bit better than keeping them separate.   Part of it is the timing.. but also, the darker color road contrast helps bring out the lighter colored road lines better.

Also, they used dual alternating checker patterns on the Shoulder, to add to the speed effect.   In certain stages, the shoulder colors and patterns are different.  Interesting, as the Alps stage chose not to alternate the shoulder stripes.   Maybe an error.. but also, maybe just an interesting change for difference sake.    They also allow plants & flowers to overgrow the road shoulder a little bit on that stage.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2014, 01:15:31 am »
Observations:

I noticed that in Outrun.. Most of the times when you crash, the camera tends to slow down very quickly..  so you get to see your car wreck deep into the screen.  The camera also stops panning and does not follow the car.  This is better, because it feels like you get disconnected from the car, when the camera no longer follows it.

However, there was one video I saw of a guy who crashed in an odd way, against a cliff wall.  I believe because he was blocked from going further into the screen, due to the rock in the way,  the car bounced towards the screen.. scaled much bigger... as it rolled and then flew right over the camera, and out of view.

It seems Outruns car crashes simulate physics a bit.  As the car rolls.. it has a certain momentum.  As the car bounces and rolls.. it loses that momentum, so the roll-over spin gets slower.

The crashes are actually the best part of Outrun.   It was one of the few racers, especially at that time... that didnt just blow the car up in some explosion graphic.   It actually portrayed a realistic crash, the best way the hardware could produce.

I think it should even be taken a step further... making the crashes even more epic.   Such as having door panels fly off at random..  A tire flying off and bouncing...  Small parts and particles bursting out on collisions,  Collisions where the car crashes and lands in different ways... such as landing on its hood, its side,  and even possible end to end rolls.

Another effect that might be cool as an option to enable or disable, is to have the entire game screen shake or buck violently, depending on the action.   When you hit walls.. you could shake the screen graphics left to right, or right to left   a little.

Camera could also be used to zoom in or out, raise or lower the perspective horizon like, or other similar things, for crashes, bumps, and or to better simulate speed...

One idea I have, is that if you accelerate with full pedal down... the speed is so great that the camera gets lagged a little behind.  This causes the car to scale smaller into the screen a bit..  before the camera slowly catches up, and the car is scaled back to its original position.

Similarly... if you slam on the brakes, the camera might sling ahead of the car a little.. so that the car gets scaled larger, and zoomed close... and the the camera backs up and or waits for the car to catch back up.  Never getting to the point where the car is completly off screen... but just scaled past the main focus point.   These would help to simulate violent speed reactions.

Also, because acceleration on certain cars is so fast... you have to be careful not to fully drop the pedal,  else you accidentally smash into nearby cars or obstacles.  Maybe even lose traction and start to fishtail with loss of some steering control - as well as loss of traction.

Spy Hunter and many other Sega driving games (like Turbo),  are much the same.   In Spy Hunter... f you go from full pedal in low gear, right into high gear... without lifting off the gas a bit... you go so much faster that you usually wreck every time.  (smashing into cars, running off the road bends, and or hitting trees / stuff  in the process)

SH also awards you greater points for keeping the throttle glued to the floor.   This makes incentive to live in the danger zone...  and often, you pay dearly for it..   but always have an awesome adrenalin rush, while doing it.

- Car Perspectives:

In Outrun, depending on which position the cars are, you can see more of the other cars sides.  If the car is on your left... you can see more of its right side.  If its on your right.. you see more of its right side.   Your car mostly only makes very small changes, because its locked in the center area of the camera.   However, anything to the sides, shows greater perspective changes.  Also, if your car were to crash and go off past the center point of the camera, you would also see more of its sides.  Similarly, hills where the camera and horizon line change.. also effect the cars.. in that you may see more of the top of the car, or the underside of it.

If you do not change the perspectives of the cars, the game will look too flat and fake.

- Sounds

It seemed your passing car sounds were somewhat delayed to the action of the screen... as well as all uniform in volume.   Even in Outrun, when you approach a car..  its noise gets louder on the side closest to your car.   As it passes you, it briefly sounds very loud, then fades away.   This also all depends on what lane they are in too.   As if the car is 5 lanes away from you... its not very audible.  Yet if its nearly rubbing paint with you... its very loud and pronounced.   It was very much a 3d audio experience...   without overpowering the music.   In fact, I think some of the sounds were intentionally reduced, to keep them from being over-bearing and annoying.

Crashes and explosion sounds should also pan in 3d sound-space too.

In Sega Turbo, and other racing games of that time... when you enter a tunnel.. the sound volume is raised, as well as sometimes a certain change is added.. such as a delay echo, reverb, chorus, sound / tone changes... etc.   I think thats a great feature to add it.

In TX-1,  theres 4 speakers.   One in the front, one in the seats bottom, two in the rear.   As such, it was one of the few racers to have true quadraphonic sound...  in the 80s no less.   It was also a 3 monitor game.  Incredible, and fun.

Though, there were also other multichannel speaker racers & games back then... such as:

- Sega Turbo  (3 speakers. Two front, and one 12" woofer that was pretty much dedicated to engine noise)
- Spy Hunter Sitdown  (Speakers in front and rear of cabinet)
- Discs of Tron Environmental  (Speakers in front and rear of cabinet)

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2014, 05:42:41 am »
Regarding crashes:
I have made the code to support camera movement- I've experimented with it but so far it requires a ton of tweaking to get it "right". I also implemented a particle engine (I use it for the smoke when sliding or hitting the ground) so it's possible to have debris fly off the car. Right now the crash can go from one mode to another- a car that flips over will for example change the direction when it hits another piece of scenary and it will fall off a cliff if there is no ground to touchdown on. So the crash routines are a branching affair that keep in mind the track and scenary while crashing.
The Cannonball project made me appreciate the attention to detail that SEGA had in Outrun: http://reassembler.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/collision.html
I implemented gamepad rumble; I'll look into a screen shake effect- that may be tied to that. Not sure (I'm generally not too fond of screenshakes) but it might add to the crash effect.

To simulate speed while accellerating it is cooler to adjust the field of view (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom ) I implemented the FOV distortion in my code (currently as a constant value) but I want to use the effect in the case a "turbo" button or something comes up as selectable upgrade.

There are many directions I can go with this, a lot of things take time to implement or require some research to implement correctly so bear with me.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2014, 01:40:46 pm »
Regarding crashes:
I have made the code to support camera movement- I've experimented with it but so far it requires a ton of tweaking to get it "right". I also implemented a particle engine (I use it for the smoke when sliding or hitting the ground) so it's possible to have debris fly off the car. Right now the crash can go from one mode to another- a car that flips over will for example change the direction when it hits another piece of scenary and it will fall off a cliff if there is no ground to touchdown on. So the crash routines are a branching affair that keep in mind the track and scenary while crashing.
The Cannonball project made me appreciate the attention to detail that SEGA had in Outrun: http://reassembler.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/collision.html
I implemented gamepad rumble; I'll look into a screen shake effect- that may be tied to that. Not sure (I'm generally not too fond of screenshakes) but it might add to the crash effect.

To simulate speed while accellerating it is cooler to adjust the field of view (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom ) I implemented the FOV distortion in my code (currently as a constant value) but I want to use the effect in the case a "turbo" button or something comes up as selectable upgrade.

There are many directions I can go with this, a lot of things take time to implement or require some research to implement correctly so bear with me.

Bearing.  :)  heh

Just making observations and putting out suggestions.  Sometimes research is easier if a lot of people are looking into it.  Just trying to be helpful... as well as give my opinions and ideas.

I do like   Camera Focus  tricks,  but I think that should be sort of standard part of the games look.  Meaning.. just like a Movie, the things that are not in focus are slightly blurry.  Most especially the things behind the car.   That adds a great amount of simulated depth to the look.

However, Im also curious to have the option to use an  "Retro-Scale"  mode ...  to simulate the blocky distorted look seen in older Sega games like Outrun and Afterburner II.

Maybe even a combination option, that can combine the two as well.

As for Speed Burst.. Ive never really liked that "light speed"  style of distortion.  When you drive in a car, is never looks like that... and so visually, it feels and looks so fake.. so it ruins it, IMO.   

I prefer subtle and tangible / realistic  things.    Not sure about the shake either..  but it can be interesting if pulled off well.   Camera lag + sprite scale does work very well however, for representing fast acceleration and deceleration.   Its also very realistic looking and feeling.   Just like if you were filming a bike in front of you, that sped up quickly... you would be a little behind him before you caught up.   And or almost hit him if he stopped immediately..  thus he is now zoomed in (er... scaled larger), very close and large.

Also, Im not always a fan of particle effects.. because often its not done well enough.    What I would Rather see.. is actual small sprites being thrown around.   Because with that... you don't have unrealistic small dots of all the same size and color.   You get actual car parts, and or small random chunks, that very in shape, color, and size..   and they react with correct vector physics.  Makes it so much more realistic and a real work of Kinetic art..  rather than a very unrealistic and poor looking 'hack job'.

For crash effects and smoke..etc..   I think a bit of study and or capture of real wreckage footage should be analyzed and attempted to be reproduced somewhat faithfully, in a semi realistic manor.

Its nice to see Cannonball / Outrun inspires you..  because it really is one of the best driving games.  Beautiful, Artistic, Realistic within certain bounds, great music / compositions, and just as you have said.. a Lot of fine details.   They really pushed the limits of the technology.  Had so many talented artists.  And was committed not only to merely making money... but making an unforgettable experience.

Looking forward to seeing more great progress,

Cheers.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:12 am
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:49 pm »

Also, Im not always a fan of particle effects.. because often its not done well enough.    What I would Rather see.. is actual small sprites being thrown around.   Because with that... you don't have unrealistic small dots of all the same size and color.   You get actual car parts, and or small random chunks, that very in shape, color, and size..   and they react with correct vector physics.  Makes it so much more realistic and a real work of Kinetic art..  rather than a very unrealistic and poor looking 'hack job'.

I've seen the particle effects that Felsir is talking about and it's not small dots, but sprites that can be thrown around.

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2014, 06:05:52 pm »
I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but the pics are looking great. Sign me up for the 48hr day, please. I still haven't had time to try out Mamehooker either.

I am installing a new monitor in my Big Buck Safari tonight, so I may not get to either of these.  :banghead:

Great work!  :cheers:

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2014, 02:10:01 am »
I'm definitely interested in this man. Nice work!  :applaud:

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2014, 03:09:16 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!

I have a busy week at work ahead so probably not much progress this week... I plan to get a playable demo with the placeholder graphics on my dropbox this week.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »
Get the current version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yivaovqzncqnl6i/The80sRacer.zip

This version shows the cliffs and crashes (the crashes have the placeholder graphics in them- these will ofcourse change and some additional effects will be added later).
In arcade mode, you race all courses on a timer- score is tracked. If you run a single track, you run 3 laps and compete for laptimes only. The races have a lead in stretch so you start your first lap with a rolling start.
I'm still looking at what makes tracks fun. I find the difficulty curve a tough nut to crack: at the moment the game is too easy so tracks will change for sure.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:42 pm »
Cool.  Will check it out when I get a breather.

I think the main thing to make the game fun is the difficulty in keeping on the track.. and the funny and cool wrecks that result after..   as well as the adrenalin rush from constant near misses.

I think Outrun was a little too lax on the difficulty.. so they made it so that the time was very tight.   The extra difficulty came from a lot of traffic, and surprise hairpin turns.

The main issue I believe, is that the game allows you to put the pedal to the floor most of the time... and that many of the turns just are not enough to challenge your handling & driving abilities.   

By adding a higher top speed, and making it so that you can rarely ever attain it.. let alone survive tight turns without drastic reflexes at even mild speeds..  it would create a more dynamic and adrenal experience.

A few ideas to add:

- Skidding:  Even with good brakes..  your speed reduction should be limited.  You shouldnt be able to stop on a dime, if your going +200 MPH.   As such, you might slide off the road even with full brakes depressed.   In Outrun, merely letting off the gas worked most of the time...  because skidding / mass  didnt seem to be weighty enough.  A visual of tire tracks might be cool too. (only for slamming & holding at high speed, rather than merely tapping or mild braking)

- Sway:  If you ever get near the highest of the top end of the speedometer..  maybe it would be interesting to make the car get a little squirly.   Where as theres a momentum effect delay to your steering.  Easier to get out of control.. and harder to recover.

Squirly - vs - tire slip

Squirly = a little leaning (shocks bending) and rotational turning.  Weighted action, making it tough to counter steer due to delay.

Tire Slip = General outrun style slip..  where the car stays vertical, but slides via loss of grip.

I would make it so that getting to the very top end of speed, isnt that easy.  Maybe Kamikazi points for "Suicide-Speed" runs.  (consecutive hold of top speed for x-amount of time)

Enhanced High-Speed difficulty - By scaling the car a little further into the screen at higher speeds,  gives the player less reaction time.  Seen in Turbo, and Spy Hunter in High Gear.  High gear + gas pedal value = distance into screen.

If getting a higher speed isnt easy..   might want to reduce the scaling count a little.   It may look a little choppier, but the speed is much more valueable than a super smooth but slow moving road.  Thats usually the problem with typical 3d modeled games.   Real life racing just doesnt look & feel fast unless your physically in the car.   Experiment with exaggerations, such as possibly adding greater distance between the scaling steps as they get closer to the car.

- Some simple solutions to difficulty ramps:

1) Reduce road width..  as well as possibly the shoulder width (if any at all).
   2) Add more traffic.  More densely packed traffic moving at various speeds.. can create a rush trying to navigate thru.
   3) Two way traffic.  Anything head-on will make things really crazy, when trying to pass cars.
   4) Erratic drivers.  Shift lanes. Driving way too slow. Slams on brakes. Cutting several lanes.  Wrecks.
   5) Road Stuff - More stuff closer to the road edges.
   6) Greater speed
   7) Less view - as in, less road distance shown.. and or a perspective, such as a hill.. that you cant see over.
   8 ) Add Long Trucks - As they can really block out a lot of visibility, and create a tougher challenge on curves when they are around.

Other visual & play stuff:

In Outrun.. when your car runs on certain kinds of terrain.. theres usually some sort of effect & penalty.   On grass..the tires kick up grass as they drive + car is slowed drastically.  Similar for beach sand.  Would be good effect for road gravel on shoulders - on the mountain areas.  As well as snow kicked up..

- High Wind sections -  Where a loud blowing howling wind sweeps through..   pushes your car (possibly into another), can makes it harder to navigate corners, can slow your speeds  ..   tied into force feedback as well.

- bumpy terrain - Where the road could be rough & bumpy, or smooth as glass.  Icy, slushy, wet, gravely, rock, pavement, sand...etc.

- Road Cone Challenge:  Stay within the cones while driving on roads.  Less cones knocked over / crushed = more points.

- Random course levels:  Design a few sections of road / scenery..  and computer randomly selects the parts, assembles and merges them to form a completely different and thus non-memorizable stage.

- Sabotage Mode - Like the movie "Speed"  ...  theres a bomb rigged under your car.  If you go too slow or stop.. it will blow.  For additional challenge... add a rule that you also cant go above a certain speed.  Explosions-a-plenty = Fun / Funny  ;)

- Hill Speed Effect - Give the option to slow the cars acceleration on steep hills, as well as speed it up on downgrades.

- Murphys Law - A race where you must survive various catastrophes..  such as sudden falling boulders, fallen trees, animals & people darting out, downed bridges, Railroad crossing gates w/ live trains..etc

- RoadKill - Avoid critters that walk, fly, and or dart out.  Maybe a Safari style course?   Maybe an abstract course.. where instead of cliffs and bushes.. there are Giraffes, Rhinos, etc.  Maybe a road filled with kittens, with a narrow path you must stay in.  (least amount of Kitten Car-nage + Time Remaining  = more points)

- Damage Control - Keep car within a certain spec of damage, or it doesnt make it to the end of the race...  ???

Ok..  I know, Ive went off the deep end  heheh

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2014, 02:15:43 pm »
I'm still working on this, got very little spare time at the moment; some personal stuff and very busy work schedule...  :cry: Hopefully an update in about two weeks.

shawn28341

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2014, 10:33:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2014, 01:06:39 pm »
I have 11 arcade games in my collection and out of those 11 5 are sit down racers. 2 hydrothunder linked, cruis,'n world, nfs underground, and Arctic Thunder.. So I do enjoy racing games.  There is a perspective that was awesome that I had never seen before that worked incredible. The game was called Power Slide. Came out in like 1998 and used the unreal engine.. The game was  awesome.. Graphically was before its time.. But what really made this game was the width of the tracks.. It just gave the environment a certain feel of depth and reality that almost all racers missed.. Detail in the immediate road every crack, rock, and dirt coming up behind the car.. I was actually ranked 4th in the world in this game and it will probably go down as the best online racer I've played.. Check out the pictures and reviews for it.. Everything about this game drew people into it and made you want to get better at it... Apocolyptic world environment, slinging the cars around the tracks.. You always thought you were doing good till you got to race someone quick.. It was a real eye opener.. Steep learning curve but enjoyable.. An added bonus the creators of the game actually participate in the online racing events. Out of the top 100 racers  only me and Bendito used the keyboard. Ranked 4th and 2nd. He was also one of the creators of the game and the character Bendito was actually named after him.. I mean what else could you ask from a racer.. Just check it out. If I was into making games I'd want to know about this one..

shawn28341

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2014, 01:35:15 pm »
Here is the review at IGN..   And an actual in game picture in the track called "the dam." The makers of Power Slide were Ratbag and GT Interactive.     http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/12/23/powerslide.       Not bad for a 16 year old game and the online was spot on...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:41:16 pm by shawn28341 »

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2014, 01:54:38 pm »
I have 11 arcade games in my collection and out of those 11 5 are sit down racers. 2 hydrothunder linked, cruis,'n world, nfs underground, and Arctic Thunder.. So I do enjoy racing games.  There is a perspective that was awesome that I had never seen before that worked incredible. The game was called Power Slide. Came out in like 1998 and used the unreal engine.. The game was  awesome.. Graphically was before its time.. But what really made this game was the width of the tracks.. It just gave the environment a certain feel of depth and reality that almost all racers missed.. Detail in the immediate road every crack, rock, and dirt coming up behind the car.. I was actually ranked 4th in the world in this game and it will probably go down as the best online racer I've played.. Check out the pictures and reviews for it.. Everything about this game drew people into it and made you want to get better at it... Apocolyptic world environment, slinging the cars around the tracks.. You always thought you were doing good till you got to race someone quick.. It was a real eye opener.. Steep learning curve but enjoyable.. An added bonus the creators of the game actually participate in the online racing events. Out of the top 100 racers  only me and Bendito used the keyboard. Ranked 4th and 2nd. He was also one of the creators of the game and the character Bendito was actually named after him.. I mean what else could you ask from a racer.. Just check it out. If I was into making games I'd want to know about this one..

Here is the review at IGN..   And an actual in game picture in the track called "the dam." The makers of Power Slide were Ratbag and GT Interactive.     http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/12/23/powerslide.       Not bad for a 16 year old game and the online was spot on...

Is this the same game?  http://www.gog.com/game/powerslide

shawn28341

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2014, 01:56:45 pm »
Yeap..

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2014, 03:37:57 pm »
now the most important question... does it support force feedback?   ;D

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2014, 08:40:02 am »
Is this still in progress? I'm working on 2 games of my own and came across this while seeing what others have done. Looks great! I can't wait to get home and try it!

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »
Yeah, I'm still working on it. Progress is really slow due to the lack of spare time at the moment :-/ (long story short: my daughter has some health issues so lots of time is spend with medical specialists...)

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 05:08:30 pm
    • My PC Desktop Icon Atwork
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »
Hi Felsir - just joined and wanted to say how much I enjoy your game, really well done on capturing the spirit of 80's arcade racing games:)

Understand that you don't have the time to work on it at the moment and I hope your daughter get's well soon.

If your still taking requests on the game when you come to revisit it is there a possibility that could you make the Lambo a bit bigger as it looks really small compared to the other cars on the road.

Also when you turn left or right can we have have some GFX added to the tyres to show that the car is skidding, otherwise it just looks like the car is sliding along the road.

Those were the only 2 things I would change and I'm really impressed with what you've done so far and can't wait to see what else you add to it.

I also made a desktop icon for the game to give it that retro 80's feel :)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2014, 05:17:15 pm »
(off topic) Hey Pooterman, I'm a fellow Chase HQ 2 enthusiast. I've been seeing your name pop-up in a lot of other forums I've been keeping an eye on for any updates about it. Bit of a bummer that when a dump of it finally does appear it's still encrypted  :( . Not sure how all those other Taito Type X & X2 games out there on the web ended up getting decrypted but it looks like everyone's drawing a blank on this one. Frustrating as it's the one TTX2 game out of the whole lot of them I'm desperate to play at home. :badmood:

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2014, 07:00:42 pm »
Hey MTW - I've been subscribing to your YouTube channel for a long time now and post on you YouTube pages too under my real name (Gary).

Uncanny that we both share the same interest in the same games - but then again they are really great games so no surprise there!

Yes I have been posting on other forums asking about the progress of Chase HQ 2 for quite a while now as I tried to bypass the encryption when the rom was dumped ages ago but nobody seemed interested in getting it running on the PC. There seems to have been more interest in getting Battle Gear 4 running which surprised me as I thought Chase HQ 2 was the better game of the two!

I just don't want people giving up on trying to get it running on their PC as I fear they might well do which would be a real shame.

It can't be just me and you who are the biggest fans of Chase HQ 2 can it?

Anyone else played the game and want it emulated as bad as me and MTW do?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
Hey MTW - I've been subscribing to your YouTube channel for a long time now and post on you YouTube pages too under my real name (Gary).

Ah, I had a funny feeling you were one and the same person.

I just don't want people giving up on trying to get it running on their PC as I fear they might well do which would be a real shame.

Well, I think there's a least one guy on a French forum who's having a try at getting it running, but I get the feeling he could use a bit of help from someone who really knows what they're doing with this sort of stuff...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »
I'll do good to get 2k6 out before the end of September.  I don't need anymore projects even though Hq 2 is frikkin awesome.   :banghead:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »
Ha, don't worry dude, that wasn't like a subtle hint or anything, just more of an observation.

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:57 pm »
don't say that Thunderwing - I'm fully expecting  Howard to create Outrun 3 after all this!

I have to believe!

:)

doomjedi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2018, 02:52:30 am
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2018, 06:15:54 pm »
Hi, can I contact the author of this thread?
I'm very interested in retro racing projects and engines. This looks very neat, cliffs are amazing, I'm trying to code in cliffs for weeks now without success.
Very interesting reading at any case.

If maker of this game reads this - please contqct me.