Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 80's driving game  (Read 55944 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
Re: 80's driving game
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 08:49:30 am »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 08:56:44 am »
Guys the problem is that you engaged him.  [ edited by moderator - Please no name calling - http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_message_rules.html ]

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:13:09 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 10:52:12 am »
Xiaou2, you've made some excellent points. I've already added a noise filter to the HLSL shader code for the pac man game and it helps create the CRT look.

I like the second picture you posted with more realistic light, but personally I think if you add those lighting effects, the whole thing goes more to a race simulator with 3d graphics than a sprite based arcade game. The lighting has to be baked into the sprites and that will limit the range of light effects because of sprite limitations.

But this is just my opinion and maybe others think that sprite lighting should be more realistic...I know that this guy does: http://snakehillgames.com/spritelamp/

Hi Sjakk,

Thanks.

As I was saying, if you look at Outruns sprites, you can see that there is a definite light source.  The main car, is very realistically shaded, with the same light direction in most cases.  (except where they used mirroring, to save on memory)

The only reason Outrun didnt do things like change the Car darker in a dark scene..  was that they simply didnt have the memory to do such things.   All you have to do it either alter (cycle) the color palette.. and or make another set of sprites in that darker tone for that level.  It doesnt actually have to go full on 3d with 100% dynamic 3d lighting.    With todays PC / Filter technology, you can actually do much of it using simple semi-translucent mask images, put in place.    In Discs of Tron artwork in mame..  they used this to make the Artwork file look lit more like the arcade machine.. rather than just a uniform value.

Though... I will say that link is Really cool.   The dynamics of lighting, with the pixel art look.    Still, I often prefer hand shaded pixel art to bly generic 3d and vector stuff.

Im glad to hear there is a noise filter.   But I do hope you get someone with good shading ability to fix the sprites... and or if you are capable.. use a more diagonal based lighting angle for the shading.  Those trees are quite bad too (the non snow trees.  Looks like globs of bushes formed into trees).   heh

So you want the 80's driving game, which is currently based on arcade games like Outrun....... to be a sim?

No.  And as Ive said.. Outrun DOES have realistic lighting shading.   AND, if you read what I wrote.. it clearly states, that I prefer the Outrun arcade style control and feel.    Sim games are too slow feeling.. and Im not big on their physics model.    The only way I may change my mind on that.. is if someone make a version of Race Drivin..  and with all the same sit-down controllers.   Unlike most FFB controls.. Race Drivin took it to a whole other level... and so you could actually feel the road properly.   Even then.. I still like the Outrun style of racing, where you dont have to worry about a huge pile of physics slowing your gaming actions down.

Anyway, in this case, it seems you were referring to my quote about smoke.    Which is funny, because his implemtation of smoke, is more like a 3d sim.. with its translucency.    Quite honestly, Outruns non translucent smoke effect looks a lot better.   So does outruns paper-like smoke trails (used several non translucent sprites in a trail... but alters the colors on each one.. and or cycles an animation.   Take a look at arcade footage)

Translucent effects can be done well.. but there are some principles that need to be followed for them to look realistic.  Most people.. possibly even myself.. dont have the skills to pull it off well enough to be pleasing to the eye.. and it looks so phoney, and so bad.. that it impacts the entire game negatively.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 11:03:08 am »
The thing I do not like the most... is the effects... such as the tire smoke and rain splash.  Its wretched ugly... and looks nothing like the real deal.  Totally ruins the whole thing for me.

So you want the 80's driving game, which is currently based on arcade games like Outrun....... to be a sim?

Secondly, I'll bet you that you are wrong on how outruns sprites were made (and probably how marble madness was made as well)  . You don't give artists nearly enough credit, not everything is tracing a picture or a render.

How much do you want to bet?     Tell you what..  Ill be nice, and spare you the loss:

" There's lots of great parts in the postmortem, but I think my favorite is discussing how he uses basic ray-tracing to improve the graphics of Marble Madness, but because of the constraints of the hardware, it all has to be pre-rendered. While amazing-looking, it also entirely crippled Atari's VAX and was only run on the weekends, where it only freaked out a few people who found the machine unusable, while it calculated the handful of rays needed."

http://www.gdconf.com/news/tales_from_the_gdc_vault/tales_from_the_gdc_vault_its_g.html

Im not saying that artists Cant draw realistic pixel art.   But there are cases, where its faster to use digitized pre rendered stuff... as well as often producing stuff that even the best artists would have trouble doing.. due to the sheer number of variables that occur in a game.  In MM's case... every tiles angle needs a lighting value that is different, so that each tile looks correct.   If you make a raised hill.. and one of your shades were off... it would stick out like a sore thumb.  I know this due to my art background.. but also, because I actually TRIED to hand draw MMs tiles.   Actually I modified Marks tiles with better shading... but kept running into issues where the shades were not right.. and then every time would have to be re-shaded differently.  I gave up, and started to try to reproduce them in 3d studio max.   The problem is that I suck at 3ds.. and as far as I know,  3ds doesnt have good enough rendering to make the needed depth of color and rays needed.  You then need to export 3ds models, into a high power raytracer.. which I had no experience with.   The more rays.. the longer it takes.. but the more realistic it will look.

As for Outrun, its more difficult to find art info on it.  However:

" On returning to Japan, Yu Suzuki and his team set out to conduct further research. Suzuki had already explored the potential for OutRun’s scenery and environment throughout his European rent-a-car expedition; his team’s next objective was to learn more about the Testarossa, but this was fraught with problems, as Suzuki relates: “Only a tiny number of Testarossas had been brought into Japan, so we had some trouble finding an owner to help us with collecting car data. Eventually, five of us squeezed into a small car and drove for three hours to see a [privately owned] Testarossa. We took photos of it from every side, at five-degree intervals, and we also recorded the sound of the engine.”

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/894882/the_making_of_outrun.html

Every 5 degrees...  a photo was taken.   Thats pretty much a 3d model, even if you didnt render it with true 3d.

It also describes how the developer drove thru europe, with a camcorder recording video of the various areas that would later be used for the games scenery.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:47:45 am by Xiaou2 »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 12:28:57 pm »
Good artists copy.  So when doing game artwork... actually use your eyes, and research what things look like.  If your trying to copy someone elses poor interpretation.. its gets horribly wrong each iteration..  as if its not bad enough already.

Heres some reference material, on how smoke actually looks.   This isnt to say, put into the game for a tire skid.. but to show that the crappy methods used by certain clueless companies, which is often followed... is complete garbage, looking Nothing like reality.

Smoke is dense, especially if its freshly made, and depending on the quantity... as well as what kind of thing is being burnt.  You cant always easily see through smoke, and even when you can... there are parts of it more dense than others.   Being that smoke is like a volume of water.. calculating it in actual 3d volume would be incredibly difficult.   So its far better to use an animated effect.  Where as colors shift, density reduces, shape changes, and slowly it fades into nothing, in that entire process.

Ill retain my class and dignity [and obey the forum rules - (mod edit)], by not naming who the real Monkey is around here...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:51:31 am by DeLuSioNal29 »

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2014, 01:13:28 pm »
Sorry to disappoint you Xiaou. I'm sticking with these sprites. The thing is, I like the way they look and it takes a lot of time to do all the graphics by hand (yes, all pixel artwork here). Oh the Lambo is actually modelled using photographs of my real scalemodel Countach so they're pretty accurate. Still some improvements are planned (more animation frames for the car for example).

So if the graphics put you off, it's not the game for you.

Ontopic of the game progress. I'm working on direct-input controls so hopefull it is testable soon on a driving cab. Below a clip of the music selection and on the automatic transmission mode.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:12 am
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2014, 02:19:47 pm »
Nice work  :applaud: How did you do the spectrum analyzers?

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2014, 02:32:15 pm »
Nice work  :applaud: How did you do the spectrum analyzers?
Thanks! I used the MediaPlayer.GetVisualizationData method. Proved easier than I expected :-) It will probably be incoporated into a LCD screen radio graphic when I have the graphics for the music selection done.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2014, 06:23:33 pm »
Sorry to disappoint you Xiaou. I'm sticking with these sprites. The thing is, I like the way they look and it takes a lot of time to do all the graphics by hand (yes, all pixel artwork here). Oh the Lambo is actually modelled using photographs of my real scalemodel Countach so they're pretty accurate. Still some improvements are planned (more animation frames for the car for example).

So if the graphics put you off, it's not the game for you.

Ontopic of the game progress. I'm working on direct-input controls so hopefull it is testable soon on a driving cab. Below a clip of the music selection and on the automatic transmission mode.

Thanks for reading anyways.

As for the graphics, I completely understand.  Its difficult to do good shading.. especially with animation.    However,  if your game plays great.. consider asking for a few skilled artists to redraw stuff.

I dont mind the car that much, in fact, I like certain vector style looking games.  Even the odd looking trees are not that bad..   but I honestly just cant stand the actual smoke and rain effects.   I hope you will accept this request, to put in an option to turn them off.  It would be enough for me to enjoy it.   It may seem simple, but those visual effects are really hard for an artists eye to deal with.

The music..  its nice to have a somewhat synth sound to it...  but it seems a little too relaxed / ambient.   It makes you want to drive slow... and or gives the feeling of a slow game.   Higher BPM, and a more energetic set of musical tracks, are suggested.

Id personally love to see a real DX-7 or similar Synth, used in realtime midi, for a games music.  Maybe even a custom synth machine, built from various emulated systems parts.   For example..   Pole Position has this awesome Chior like harmonic tune at the start.  If you have that engine... you could possibly use that to compose original tunes using a real synth engine.    This would be nice in respects that game size would be vastly smaller.. and yet audio quality, would be without any compromises in quality.  Recordings are almost always lossy.. and modern keyboards tend to use the same boring sounding samples, rather than lively unique synth sounds.   FM synths tend to have some of the most incredible sounds Ive ever heard.

The other cool feature, if going with recorded audio samples... would be the use of Holographic sounds.   Where as you mount two microphones into a human head shaped object.   This creates a 3d depth and sensation of positional realism, that even the highest end surround sound system cant replicate.    To experience this.. grab a nice pair of high end headphones.. such as the Sennheiser HD series.... and listen to the examples on Holographic Audio on Youtube.   Some are quite incredible.

The most simple of changes I think needs to be made currently.. is a check in scale.   Your 2 lane highway.. has about 4 to 5 lanes worth of space.   I would also increase the length of space between the lines in the road... because they seem to look too close together at the higher level speeds of your game.

Some more of ideas...

-  Spectacular crashes, ala outrun, would be great.  Spin outs, but maybe unlike Outrun.. can shake out of them... and or make them worse.  Full screen rolls, with parts flying all over the place, would be awesome.    Even going so far as to intentionally make crashes between other cars happen often.. as seen in Continental Circuit 3D.  (Stereoscopic 3d would be awesome too)

- More use of ground texture.  Outrun used a lot of rows of flowers, corn fields..etc.   Rather than merely a few side objects.. a full row creates a deeper motion feel experience... and a more realistic and even prettier looking experience.

- Narrow roads.  Two way traffic. Heavy traffic areas. Erratic drivers & responses.
 - Different surface effects..  A Lambo would slide off a curve as easily, or more easily, than a mere pickup truck, on an icy roads curve.
 - Possibly one randomly generated track.. where it chooses from several pre-made coarse areas that you designed beforehand.  This makes it so that the level is not able to be fully learned in memory... thus never fully master-able.  You instead have to be a master of realtime reactions instead.

- 4way shifter support... for greater challenge and fun.
 - Possible motion blur effect at higher speeds.
 - Way to turn off engine sound... and or reduce their volume.   Its nice to hear a roar every now and then..  but it can get grating after a short while.   Most cars reduce this, with good insulation..   and the high power cars.. you dont care much because you are too busy feeling the effect of g-forces... tire traction feel, and the roads bumps.   I believe most games fade out the engine noise after you get going.   Maybe some loud revs.. and thats about it.   There could be a 3rd option, to only play the engine on the startup from a dead stop... then fade away in low volume, or fade to being completely silent, until something happens to warrant its noises.

- Larger Objects.  Trees can be quite tall.  So are buildings, light posts, etc.

- Theme work.  Tie objects into level theme looks.  Use a color palette that matches all of the obj. on that level.

- Cliff Edges.  Turns that dont have guard rails.. .and or you can fly off of them anyways, if you go too fast.   Would be fun and great to see your Lambo hit a Rail, tumbling over it in a fast airborne spin, parts flying off randomly, while smoking and on possibly on fire!  Then descending out of view of the camera.  Possible  "ejection'  of passengers on impact or spin.

- Possible ability to Knock others around with some mild bumping.

- Optional Engine overheating / Car damage effects.   Effecting performance and controls.
  ** No brakes / Poor brakes
  ** Rough Ride (bearing / tires / suspension issues)
  ** Stuck Accelerator   >:D
  ** Exploding / Popped tire
  ** Aerodynamic slingshot effect?
  ** Strong gusts of winds, making steering difficult (FFB & or less sensitivity / reaction)
  ** Strong rains / slippery roads..  easier to slide off the road.
  ** Violent reaction to running off road,  and too long = visible vertical bucking & harsh damages.
 ** Clutch pedal option
 ** Airtime.  Too fast = hop off road.. and landing too hard can have multiple negative effects.  Realistic, not like Rush... so you really have to be careful on certain areas, with regards to your speeds.

** Random events... such as AI wrecks, sideswipes, people or animals running in the way. (deer wrecks!  heh)
 ** Possible Railway crossings, and Intersections.. where crazy side impacts can occur.
 ** Torn up road areas... such as city streets with huge potholes.  Road work signs.  Pits.  Parked cars / Construction vehicles.
 ** Custom LIC plate for multiplayer identity.   Possible custom car colors, using pallette swaps.
 ** Custom music library MP3 jukebox Support.

A reason to play it:  ..  Difficulty, Fast Intensity, and good Challenge.   Something severely missing from the snorefest in recent Outruns.

Driving a fast car, should Feel fast and intense.  Should get your heart pumping, and adrenalin fired up.

(and IMO, a greater sensation of depth, with good shading, focus blue, color intensity changes, and lighting practices,  all help to add to the sum of that sensation.. and re-playability)

Btw - Ever play Final Freeway 2R?

Its ok..  and has some of the effect Ive mentioned.   It just has that cartoon look for a lot of the objects.. that kind of ruins it for me.
If memory serves me well, it was fast feeling.. but not anywhere near the challenge of Outrun.. so I never bothered to play it more than twice.
 The music is ok too.. but it seems too overproduced & generic.  Repetitive, too full, and not overly creative.  Plus.. its on a phone.. so control is not the greatest.   Its just a poor platform for good gaming...  at least, with regards to controllers being a 2nd seat to generic tilting, or finger sliding.  (which stink)   As a result.. all Devs cater to the most common crippled controls.. and thus the games have very poor challenge levels.

I do wonder if its possible to make banked angles look good  on a sprite & vector race game.  I dont think Ive seen this yet.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 04:24:26 am »
but I honestly just cant stand the actual smoke and rain effects.   I hope you will accept this request, to put in an option to turn them off.  It would be enough for me to enjoy it. 
I'm sorry, I'm not going to disable those effects. I'm really happy how the rain turned out (it's better than most 80s arcade games where the rain was just a layer of sprites moving down the screen).

It may seem simple, but those visual effects are really hard for an artists eye to deal with.
If you consider yourself an artist, then you will also understand that as an artist you can stick to your artistic intentions. I wanted the rain to look cheesy yet a convincing 80s graphics rain effect. And I think that is exactly it.

The music..  its nice to have a somewhat synth sound to it...  but it seems a little too relaxed / ambient.
The music is a work in progress. I'm not a musician myself so I have a friend arranging the scores for me. It will be plain and simple MP3s that work as a background tune. Stuff like "Holographic sounds"... You are aware that I'm just a guy who programs this game as a hobby?

The most simple of changes I think needs to be made currently.. is a check in scale.   Your 2 lane highway.. has about 4 to 5 lanes worth of space.   I would also increase the length of space between the lines in the road... because they seem to look too close together at the higher level speeds of your game.
The video doesn't show, but I have full control over the road width and the number of lanes as part of the road-definition.

Some more of ideas...
Some suggestions are workable (some even planned such as the outrun flip style crash).
For some other suggestions, I don't know if I can implement them (without doing a ton of research) or don't match the kind of game I plan to make. It's not going to be the next Burnout but in 2D sprites.

Btw - Ever play Final Freeway 2R?
Yes, I have (bought the full version actually, I like the game!)
If you are turned off by a game with such production values. Sorry to say, but man, my game isn't going to be your cup of tea.

I do wonder if its possible to make banked angles look good  on a sprite & vector race game.  I dont think Ive seen this yet.
Racin' Force by Konami. It used a voxel engine to render it's roads.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:25:58 am by Felsir »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2014, 11:36:08 am »
I'm sorry, I'm not going to disable those effects. I'm really happy how the rain turned out (it's better than most 80s arcade games where the rain was just a layer of sprites moving down the screen).

Actually, I should have clarified..  Its not the rain that bugs me.  Thats actually a decent effect. (although, know that when your car makes a turn... and the rain is still going the same vector...   Umm..   )   

Its the water splashing effect off the tires, that is a real bust.

Its completely random..   where as a cars wheels would toss out the water in more of a direct line vector.    It becomes almost comedic as a result.   But it speaks more of ignorance and laziness, than anything else.

Its almost like theres this idea that people from the 80s, made things cheesy on purpose... and as a result of this warped thinking...  you wish to recreate that.     I can tell you that its furthest from the truth.   Evidence was already posted, in the case of Out Run.. which the developer actually traveled to different countries to get the look..  as well as getting a full set of accurate pictures of the car..  among all the rest that was done.

The only thing that limited these games, was the hardware circuitry.   Not the artists laziness or ignorance.   The only cases where there may be such a thing...is where some cheapo studio was cutting every corner, forcing time limits on projects, and or replacing the main artists with some clueless joe.  (which honesty seems like the case these days more than the days from the past.  IE - A 3d modeler.. doesnt mean your a true artist..  or even a good animator.   Hence the unholy creation that is Jar Jar Binks)

You can take personal offense if you wish..  but Im just being honest, and I dont have anything against you personally...  I dont even know you.   And even if we knew each other as good friends... Id STILL tell you the same things.   And trust me, Im NOT the only one who would look at these things as ridiculous, and do an internal face-palm.

If you consider yourself an artist, then you will also understand that as an artist you can stick to your artistic intentions. I wanted the rain to look cheesy yet a convincing 80s graphics rain effect. And I think that is exactly it.

If your an artist, then you are keen to know the basic structures and principles of light, shadows, colors..etc.   Otherwise, you are NOT an artist... or at very least, are a very poor artists.  Especially in attitude, when glaring issues are reported and you ignore them.. rather than repair them.

And there it is... the Slap in the face of the artists works.    If Out Run is so CHEESY,  then why is it the alltime Favorite of pretty much every gamer out there?   Why are there tons of fansites, artworks, remakes,  and ports of the game, ports of the original, and more?

Nope.  Its far from cheesy.   Even a game like TX-1  isnt Cheesy.   Nor is Galaga.   Pacman.   Or Space Invaders.    These are all artistic creations.  Unique and creative.   And all bound to various limitations of hardware..  such as Limited colors, limited resolutions, limited number of objects on the screen at once.  Limited Ram and Rom memory... so even with larger color pallettes, and higher resolution.. you Still could not put a ton of details into sprites and background tiles.  (There was not hard drive ram swapping back then)

If you want to recreate an 80s game... then prove your metal.  Limit yourself to the same color palette, same number of objs., same low resolution of for example, Outruns  336 * 240.

In fact, many people who call themselves artists today... cant produce good looking pixel art without high resolution graphics, cheating photoshop techniques, etc.   Try a basic sprite / pixel editor like the Amigas Deluxe paint, on an Amiga emulator.   See if you can actually make some well shaded objects that look good.   Most cant.   Im not even that good at it..  but Im well aware and respect those who can greatly.

Strider and Ghouls and Ghost, are two games where real artistic talent is presented, even with incredible limits on resolution, color, and memory constraints.  Then have someone call it cheesy.   A lot of those guys could out-do anything you are capable of, when not having limitations to deal with.   Even WITH these limits, made some incredible and beautiful creations... that again, are probably way past your level of skills, by Miles.

My Brother, is a far better and True artist, than myself.   Hes partially color blind.   He sees the world differently, but he also retains the natural rules of art, such as proper shading, coloring, lighting, perspective...etc..  In fact, its his lacking that seemed to amplify his ability to recognize and master these basic foundations and principles of good art.   Hes won awards and contests all his childhood as a result.  In fact, it was him who schooled me many a time at my artistic failings... which only helped to make me a better artist.  Though, Id still never compare to his level of ability...  I at least do everything in my power, to represent the foundations properly.  Copying and borrowing things from others to help as needed...  until Ive gotten a certain level of mastery of my own.  (and or handing it off to someone else more skilled to fill in)

It isnt Cheesy being stuck to media limitations.  It IS Cheesy is being lazy and ignorant... and doing things like random and unnatural things... and then trying to pass it off as being Artistic.   Even good artist who choose to work in limited restraints, such as only using 2 colors, or only using a 2" brush...etc..   all still use the same artistic principles... of natural physical properties.

The music is a work in progress. I'm not a musician myself so I have a friend arranging the scores for me. It will be plain and simple MP3s that work as a background tune. Stuff like "Holographic sounds"... You are aware that I'm just a guy who programs this game as a hobby?

Good that you acknowledge that you are incapable of Music.  Too bad you dont do the same for art.  But anyways...  You put it out there, and people have opinions, so there is mine.   You can pass it along to see if he can improve on them... or find someone more capable of representing the needed energy and good compositional musical skills.    Many people whom make music these days.. are sample arrangers.. rather than actual trained musicians and composers.  Hence the lack of any real emotional impact in a games music and sounds.  As well as the droning boring non-creative repetition.   Good rhythm, isnt the same thing as telling a story... or expressing some emotions.

As for what you think you are..  thats your choice.    Im a guy with a lot of passion..  and no matter what I do, I put everything Ive got into it...because I love what Im doing, and I love expressing my passions to their fullest extent.  I like the challenges.  I like doing things that push the envelope.  I like creating great things.  I also like helping to create great things.

Using two microphones to record a sound isnt rocket science.   But if its beyond you, and or your time constraints.. find a sound effect guy to help accomplish it.  Maybe even a guy who has passion and experience in Holographic sound recordings.    And for music, Id look for someone with classic training &  optimally, an FM Synth - Master.

es, I have (bought the full version actually, I like the game!)
If you are turned off by a game with such production values. Sorry to say, but man, my game isn't going to be your cup of tea.

How many hours have you played the game?   And do you continue to keep playing the game every few times a month?
Thats what a good game is.   I played it a few times, then never fired it up again.   Where as Ill play Spy Hunter, or even Outrun, quite often...

I guess I wasnt clear enough on my meaning..   I think the look of that game is better the the previous attempt at photo pasting.  But the cartoon look does turn me off a little, as it feels less like Outrun, and so its a bit of a let down.   But the real problem I have with the game.. is its too easy and too boring.   Theres little intensity at all.   In Outrun, even on the 1st track.. the S-Turn would wreck you if you were not on your game.  And it only got more intense as you went on deeper in the game.    The control sucks too..  as mobile phones are just not made for good gaming, at this time.

racin' force

Interesting to note about the Voxel engine.  Thanks.

The banks look decent.. but the game overall looks a bit too generic.   It would be interesting to see banked curves on an Outrun style game..  maybe using the Afterburner II hardware to do it.. if necessary.. or making a unique hardware add-on or  emulation simulation add-on.

Just remember,  if your making a game for you... then expect that only you are going to fully appreciate it the same way you do.
If your making it for masses, then expect criticisms, and discontent.

IMO, stick to your strengths.  In your case, it seems to be programming.  I can barely program in basic, so I respect that skill greatly.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2014, 12:58:49 pm »
I'm an artist - I went to art school and everything!  Then I decided it was a much more fun and rewarding career to travel to foreign lands, meet the indigenous peoples, and kill them!  Now I'm a freakin' artist with a rifle baby yeah!

This game looks tits!  Keep it up!  I love the Hang-on vibe.  This post needs more exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2014, 01:45:48 pm »
As for what you think you are..  thats your choice.    Im a guy with a lot of passion..  and no matter what I do, I put everything Ive got into it...because I love what Im doing, and I love expressing my passions to their fullest extent.  I like the challenges.  I like doing things that push the envelope.  I like creating great things.  I also like helping to create great things.
I also do things with passion. I also know where my limits are -mostly timewise. I have a fulltime job and three kids. Perhaps sticking two microphones in a mannequin sounds like a simple thing to do -certainly not "rocket science", but recording sounds and using them in a music composition or even as game sounds is a considerable amount of work (for an effect that is certainly not 80s like).

Just remember,  if your making a game for you... then expect that only you are going to fully appreciate it the same way you do.
If your making it for masses, then expect criticisms, and discontent.
I am quite capable dealing with critique. It would be nice if the one providing the critique could also see the limits of how far to take it. As I said in the previous post; some of the points you made are noted, some are beyond what I'm currently capable of and some are a matter of difference in taste. This has nothing to do my "attitude" where "glaring issues" are not fixed. This has something to do with your definition on what a glaring issue is versus my definition. Which brings me to:

You can take personal offense if you wish..
Normally I don't take personal offense. But you called me "lazy", "ignorant", a "warped thinker", "trying to pass things of as artistic" and that I should tell you that I'm not capable of doing art ("you are incapable of Music.  Too bad you dont do the same for art.") and having "an attitude" because I don't fix the issues YOU seem to have with my game.
Dunno what that looks like to you but it sounds pretty much like you in fact are attacking me. An that's what bothers me. If you just said "the graphics is not my taste, I'd like it with some realistic lighting." that would be fine critique. Instead you come with a wall of text explaining how it should be done and that the handdrawn (in the MS-DOS version of DeluxePaint II Enhanced) lamborgini's aren't worthy of being called pixel art. I don't know if you've seen the image attached to post #4, but the shading, shadowing looks fine to me.

It is not even critique anymore- it's you wanting to be right. And going lengths trying to prove that.

Oh and for the record: I never said Outrun (or any other game for that matter) is cheesy. I called my rain effect 'cheesy' to indicate that it is faux and unrealistic but I still like the way it looks. Sorry you interpret that as my opinion of 80s games (being born in the 70s, I only have fond perhaps rose-tinted memories of the 80s). Perhaps I didn't fully understand the implication the word 'cheesy' has (may be a language thing- I'm not a native English speaker). So that could have saved you a few paragraphs of text  ;)

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »
I'm an artist - I went to art school and everything!  Then I decided it was a much more fun and rewarding career to travel to foreign lands, meet the indigenous peoples, and kill them!  Now I'm a freakin' artist with a rifle baby yeah!

This game looks tits!  Keep it up!  I love the Hang-on vibe.  This post needs more exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Le Chuck :-) That cheered me up!

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2014, 03:41:33 pm »
I also do things with passion. I also know where my limits are -mostly timewise. I have a fulltime job and three kids. Perhaps sticking two microphones in a mannequin sounds like a simple thing to do -certainly not "rocket science", but recording sounds and using them in a music composition or even as game sounds is a considerable amount of work (for an effect that is certainly not 80s like).

Congrats on kids, and others.   I dont know your situation, I only know what you presented..  what Id love to see implemented, and that you asked for ideas on improvements.. so thats what I gave.    You made it sound like my suggestion was impossible, hence my return reply.

Believe it or not, the 70s and 80s, were a time when they pushed the limits of what was possible, at every turn.   The 70s, had complex mechanical gun games, that used half-silvered mirrors to produce 3d holographic effects.   They had crazy mechanical solutions to solve complex scoring systems in pinball and other mechanical games.  They had some very awesome mechanical games of skill, such as the multiplayer  Big Ball Bowlers, Puck slider games, and much more.

The 80s were the golden era of the video based games, with some of the best and most interesting classics games being produced.  Many of the 80s games pushed the limits with very unique controllers, subwoofers (sega turbo),  Quadrphonic Surround Sound (TX-1), incredible cabinet lighting effects (Discs of Tron:  Blacklight glowing plastics, a true holographic marquee, half silvered mirrors for game depth, lit flooring, and front and rear speakers),  moving cabinets, and much more... too much to even write...     Sega's sound system was actually very 3-d sounding...  and later, Capcom would use Q-Sound, in their games, to enhance the positional sound field.

Now we have all this technology and power... and nobody even scratches the surface with it...  and or does not have the time, energy, or money..  to make anything worthwhile..  let alone revolutionary.  Its pretty much all generic garbage, thats too easy, boring, and filled with unskilled / non-qualified  efforts...  which takes it down in quality even further.   It starts to get under your skin, when you have lived through the golden era of entertainment...  only to end up in the sewers of blah ville.   And no, this isnt a dig on you personally.. its the state of the entire set of industries...  from music, movies, and games.

This has nothing to do my "attitude" where "glaring issues" are not fixed. This has something to do with your definition on what a glaring issue is versus my definition. Which brings me to:

Please, do not try to mix things up here.  I didnt bash you because you may or may not choose to put in 4way shifter support.   And its also your choice, the number of colors and game resolution.   But when you put a seriously flawed effect of water coming off a cars tires at completely random ways.. and represent them as a kid stomping his foot into a puddle... rather than being Flung from spinning force...  then YES.. it IS a Glaring error.

Please, go and spin a bike tire, that is hovering in 1" or more of water.  See what happens.   Does it look ANYTHING like your effect?
This has little to do with artistic interpretation..  Its simple basic reality here.  Its like me asking someone to draw a dog.. and rather than getting a  disproportionate dog....  I get a dog that has a neck of a Giraffe, and claws for feet.   Its not a result thats even close.

Also, if you chose the Artistic Interpretive argument.. then you have to stay within the bounds of that argument.  Take a look at Impressionists paintings on Google.   The ENTIRE painting, is a unique and slightly distorted way of expression.  Where as your game, has everything that matches general reality... but then goes off the deep end,  on smoke and tire splashing effect.. to the point where we have to concede we are on some alternate universe, where general physics do not apply - at all.

It might be what you are capable of.  It may be that you dont understand or have time to figure out how to make these things better... but they ARE mistakes.

As I said, I dont mind the car not being well shaded.  Id enjoy it better, if it was shaded in a diagonally lit manor,  a manor that would match all the objects shading in the game...   but, I can live with limited shading, flat look.  This part IS an Artistic choice in representation.   But those effects are ghastly, ugly, and unbearable.   They Ruin the nice look of the car... and the whole look of the game period.   The trees tunnel was kinda cheesy too, but even thats tolerable compared to those effects.

If you just said "the graphics is not my taste, I'd like it with some realistic lighting." that would be fine critique. Instead you come with a wall of text explaining how it should be done and that the handdrawn (in the MS-DOS version of DeluxePaint II Enhanced) lamborgini's aren't worthy of being called pixel art. I don't know if you've seen the image attached to post #4, but the shading, shadowing looks fine to me.

It is not even critique anymore- it's you wanting to be right. And going lengths trying to prove that.

Again, you are twisting the words meanings, and taking the context and messing it up.

The problem with NOON or Top-Lit objects... is that it makes the definition very boring and flat looking.   This is why most art is drawn with light at an angle.   It also means that shadows will not extend and give any real depth.  So for example, trees will have pretty much a circle shadow around it.. rather than a nice shadow that hangs over the roads surface.

Also, The mere use of only 3 color shades for the body, makes it hard to consider it "shaded".     But again, this is all fine... as that is your chosen flat looking artistic choice.   Im not a huge fan of it, but its not bad at all.  Its well drawn.   Its just not "great".   Nor realistic... like the shading on the outrun car.   Thats all personal opinion.

But the tire water effect, and the smoke effect, are not mere opinion.. they are just plain wrong... and it has Nothing to do with me wanting or needing to be 'right'.   Ive been wrong many times in my life, and can admit it.. and live with it.  My goal in life isnt to be right.   I may be right a lot of the time, merely because Ive invested a lot of time, energy, and efforts, into the stuff I have passion and depth of knowedge and skills in.   But thats not why I posted.    I posted, because Id love to see a great 80s racer...  in the Spirit of the 80s, but with the technological limits that held the 80s games back.   Such as for example..  Did you know that Spy Hunter had planned a Helicopter stage?  Sadly, they ran out of Ram and Time...  so it was scrapped.

Perhaps I didn't fully understand the implication the word 'cheesy' has (may be a language thing- I'm not a native English speaker). So that could have saved you a few paragraphs of text  ;)

Got ya.  It aggravated and somewhat insulted me, by calling the 80s / 80s games Cheesy.  (hence the more harsh reply)   I happen to Love the 80s, probably more than any other time period.

By the way... Cheesy is more negative in meaning:

-  Cheap, unpleasant, or blatantly inauthentic.
 -  Inferior or cheap; chintzy: The movie's special effects are cheesy and unconvincing.

Its quite easy for meanings to cause issues of good communications.  Ive had this happen a few times here.. where others whom were not native speakers of english, have misunderstood what I was trying to say... and possibly I not fully getting what they were trying to say.

Ive said what I have to say, for what Ive seen.   The real test will be in the gameplay anyways.  Its the most difficult part of the game.. and the very reason why some games are a hit, and others failures.

Best of Luck on your games future progress.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2014, 07:03:09 pm »
:blah: :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:
I look forward to your project thread Xiaou2, I cant wait to critique the 80s racing game you make Im sure it will be artistically perfect for both audio and video, and Im sure the controls will put Hard Drivin to shame.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 09:54:31 pm »

Felsir, this looks awesome! Totally gives me a vibe back to racers I played in the 80's, and I think the smoke looks great. Looking forward to more :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 09:57:48 pm »
Brings to mind the feel of Stun Runner and Space Harrier.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 10:05:13 pm »
Mel,

Everything I do gets put up on some lame website.. didnt you know?

But dont worry, I was barely able to program a c-64 in basic.   And while I compose inside of my head... what Id like to hear... Id never learned to play any instruments.

I can draw pretty well.  Ive good good color sense.   Ive got decent ability in composition.  And Im an idea / design factory...
But I just dont have the money, to get the talented team I need, behind me.

One day... maybe...  but then again, maybe not.

Just because I cant make a Star Wars Prequel...  does not mean I have to enjoy them.
Nor does it mean I... or anyone, shouldnt be allowed to have a very strong opinion on where all those films reels should be inserted...

Same and more relavent... is the Butchery of the Originals with that Bogus quality CGI.

Cheers Buddy.

:cheers:

PS:  Im sorry if Ive offended you, as maybe you Loved the "Gummy-Bear" Yoda fight scene, and Jar Jar- Wabbits Antics...

:dizzy:

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2014, 10:06:50 pm »
And Steve - for the love of my blood pressure and sanity.... I value the interaction of people with different ideas and dissenting opinions, but at some point you just have to agree to disagree and let it go. There's a fine line between arguing your point, and thread-bombing. You're kind of stomping that line into a mud pile.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 10:13:51 pm »
Mel,

Who is Mel? The guy who owned the Diner?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 10:16:20 pm »
Everything I do gets put up on some lame website.. didnt you know?

I know what you mean man... I've had my projects put on sites like kotaku, engadget, time, hackaday, gizmodo, yahoo!, msnbc, and all kinds of other dreary cheesy lame ass websites.  It's. such. a. drag.  And I'm willing to bet if the OP sees this through he'll likely have to put up with the rigamarole and assache of having his project on some of those and maybe more.  I'm with you X2, this internet stuff is hard.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 01:00:46 am »
There's a fine line between arguing your point, and thread-bombing. You're kind of stomping that line into a mud pile.
This.

It's no fun to see a cool thread and then you have to read through the muck and filter out the BS looooong paragraphs about something I honestly I don't care about.  If it's that important, send a PM!

Please think before posting people...  Please...

P.S. - Felsir, that game looks great!  Can't wait to see the progress...

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 12:45:11 pm »
Love the game.  Keep it up.  It has the *LOOK AND FEEL* of an 80s arcade game which probably had the equivalent graphic output capabilities as a Trash80.

AJ

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 03:32:11 pm »
Thanks for the nice words  :)

I added clouds; the clouds and fog are controllable by the track definition (so the sky can turn dark and visibility can be reduced on the fly). There will be more skyline/horizon graphics with parallax scrolling- the clouds are the first bitmaps that are done.
Also I added 4 views (incar, close, chase and chase high) similar to SEGA VR style viewpoints. I think the close and chase-high viewpoints are closer to the views suggested earlier in this thread. I could move the "high" viewpoint up a bit more but tunnels obscure the view- so I'm thinking of lowering the camera automatically when an overhead object would obstruct the view.

I'm working on the controls -but I only have a Xbox360 gamepad to test. Hopefully I can get a demo out next week if some of you are willing to test it for me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:34:42 pm by Felsir »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
What are the hardware requirements?  I only have a P4 with onboard video running my arcade.

AJ

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 03:40:48 pm »
Hopefully I can get a demo out next week if some of you are willing to test it for me.

I'm down!  Ask around I'm a half decent test subject!!!!! <---- for emphasis

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:07 pm »
What are the hardware requirements?  I only have a P4 with onboard video running my arcade.
The biggest question will probably be can your videocard handle HLSL shaders? I use one for the fog effect (the scanlines can be disabled). Also it uses the XNA framework which has some prerequisites: DirectX9 IIRC.
If your onboad video can handle (simple) shaders, it should be okay. But honestly- it's something to test I guess.

LeChuck: noted!

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »
Yeah, it's a bit underpowered, but I am able to run Killer Instinct 1 and 2 on it.  Once anything requires rendering polygons (i.e. Tekken), it all goes *poof*. 

AJ

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 05:30:34 pm »
I'm working on the controls -but I only have a Xbox360 gamepad to test. Hopefully I can get a demo out next week if some of you are willing to test it for me.

I could give you feedback on trying to run it on a laptop with intel graphics.  I don't have any special controls hooked up though. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2014, 11:49:47 am »
Now that I'm finally out of bed permanently I just wanted to chime in and say how impressed I am with the recent updates. 

It looks amazing man, keep up the great work!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:56 am »
I agree, its shaping up to be a great little game.   As for testing I have an i7 powered desktop with redonk specs, and an i5 powered rig for my racing set up. I'd be more than happy to give things a whirl for you.

Also, I do a little sprite art, I can try to whip up some car frames for you if you'd like.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »
I've compiled a test version, downloadable from my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yivaovqzncqnl6i/The80sRacer.zip
it's an XNA game so you might need the XNA runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

The game is far from complete, but it give a rough idea of the gameplay. I'm also curious to learn if the game runs okay on various systems. In the zipfile you will also find a .ini file where you can set up various things (screen resolutions and keyboard settings etc). Not all graphics are in place and the traffic movement is very (very) plain.

There are lots of things on my to-do list, but the first thing is getting the game modes running with proper start-checkpoint-finish mechanics. I also plan to improve the level editor I made for the game so people who are interested can help out making tracks for the game (see attached screenshot).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:22:22 pm by Felsir »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »
i7 870, 4GB RAM, NVidia Quardo FX 580, 5.9 Win7 32 experience index and it runs at a rock solid 62fps.

Didn't display any car sprites the first time I opened it.  Was fine the second time.

Cute game.  Xiaou2 really stepped over the line.

:cheers:

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2014, 04:47:18 pm »
Love the progress you've been making. Can't wait to see this finished.
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2014, 07:10:55 pm »

Win7 64bit. Sadly, my SSD is my "choke point"

Locked at 62 fps the whole time. The rain effect is TOP NOTCH, absolutely love it.  The smoking tire effect actually looks too real, can you make it look crummier (like in outrun?).   For fun I hit a cow, and it must have been made of metal judging by the sound effect :p

Still, its an amaze-balls beta. Im more than willing to make the sprites for the car crashing ala OutRun as well.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2014, 07:41:19 pm »
good stuff.

I got 62 fps on a phenom x4 945 and 550ti card. Can I get the logo and some other artwork? I use hyperspin and i like having themes for my games. Even if its still in alpha/beta.

keep it up. I got agree the rain is pretty cool. hopefully you have it showing up the floor too.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:36 pm »
Sweet!  Locked in 62fps with no slow down on an intel core duo 2.1 running a cheapo g-force 200. 

Gameplay is classic fun and the game is very VERY polished for a beta.  I'll test more out later but wanted to get the initial data and first feedback up.   :applaud:  :applaud:  :applaud:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2014, 09:16:00 pm »
Not that we really need more confirmation... but....

i3 3.07GHz, 4GB ram, Win 7 64 Bit, Radeon HD 6570, 5.9 experience index - rock solid 62 fps

When you're done with this, how about working on Gauntlet Legends emulation?

:lol

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:14 pm »
HA!  It didn't load on my P4 with onboard video.  Couldn't find a suitable video card. 

Then again, I'm sure that if I ever build a driving cab it won't be based around a GX2670  :laugh2: :laugh2:

AJ