Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MS-2931 Repair (FIXED)  (Read 3662 times)

epicfatigue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2016, 08:16:08 pm
    • http://www.retromods.com.au
MS-2931 Repair (FIXED)
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:00:12 am »
Hello Everyone,
i have just purchessed a Astroblast City cabinet with a dead 29inch Nanao ms-2931 in it.

I have taken a gamble here but this monitor tube is perfect and the cainet is pretty clean aswell howe ver i am sanding it back and repainting it as i would love to give it to my daughter as a birthday present.

The unit is in transit at the moment so i cant say anything on what its failure looks like just thought i would give a shout out and see what people know of this monitor.

I have started looking around, so far i have the wiring diagram service manual and ever pdf for the IC's thanks to WIKI :)
I do know that it has the gloop of death, which there seems to be conflicting information about, to be honest i dont know what to believe but i will test it for conductivity, seeing that it comes out of a coil i dont see why it would be conductive but who knows what else is mixed in their over time dirt dust coke!

I understand if the flyback is dead then the monitor chasis is kaput, so i figure this would be a really good starting point of testing.
Does anyone have some good documentation of testing flybacks?

I am pretty handy with my electronics and i have all the gear for testing just lack experiance :) but hear to learn and get this out of the way.
I have repaired a few monitors but nothing like this baby.

Just putting the feelers out.

Also anyone know if this requires an isolation transformer? as i need a PSU etc.

Thanks guys

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:44:00 am by epicfatigue »

TOMMYGUN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2021, 04:44:53 am
  • When the time comes you will know
Re: MS-2931 Repair Help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:33:05 am »
first thing to do is push the wire that go's in the top of the flyback, this can come loose,

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
Re: MS-2931 Repair Help
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:29 am »
Well with alot of work i have one up and running,
the other one has suffered the same problem but took out the HOT aswell so i am waiting on replacement parts.

Appears the Green is hard on, going to be either the gun in the tube or GReen is being brought on full by something, either way a nice and easy fix.

For all those that were wondering the symptom of this problem was a B+ climbing then a CLICK and shutdown occurs.
Followed by 30 seconds later after being powered off another click.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:45:16 am by epicfatigue »

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
Re: MS-2931 Repair (FIXED)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:41:25 pm »
So i tested the output transistors on the next board, all appeared perfectly fine,
tested Amp as color comes in fine aswell,

pulled neck off had a look, snaped in half  :angry: at some stage and not repaired correctly, repaired the neck correctly, can never tell it was even broken.

:cheers:

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:48:34 pm »
Looking good, nice repair!

zumbito

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2018, 07:54:23 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:13:48 pm »
Sorry to resurrect this topic but couldn't send a private message to @Epicfatigue and I'm SUPER interested in this, as my blast as just the same issue.

Well with alot of work i have one up and running,
the other one has suffered the same problem but took out the HOT aswell so i am waiting on replacement parts.

Appears the Green is hard on, going to be either the gun in the tube or GReen is being brought on full by something, either way a nice and easy fix.

For all those that were wondering the symptom of this problem was a B+ climbing then a CLICK and shutdown occurs.
Followed by 30 seconds later after being powered off another click.

If you could give me some directions on how to go about this, I would be really thankful.