Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: monitor hookup to power supply, any advice?  (Read 2405 times)

kz1911

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2015, 02:47:59 pm
monitor hookup to power supply, any advice?
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:15:56 am »
i plan on making my monitor hook up to the psu, i've seen some folks do it but not much detail given such as which wires to look for etc, also is there a minimum wattage the psu should be? i know some monitors require different wattage and same for pc units. I have some old psus laying around

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: monitor hookup to power supply, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »
When doing this you are actually tapping into the supply from the outlet not the PSU - so it doesn't matter what size the PSU is since it is not taking any wattage from the PSU (it is splicing into the incoming wiring before it goes to the PSU.) That said what you do need to be concerned about is that the wire coming from the outlet plug to the system is thick enough gauge to pull enough wattage for both the computer and the monitor ( usually not a problem unless using a very cheap PSU cable but best to calculate the total wattage it might pull from the outlet and make sure the cable is rated to handle at least that amount to be safe. 

kz1911

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:54:57 pm »
When doing this you are actually tapping into the supply from the outlet not the PSU - so it doesn't matter what size the PSU is since it is not taking any wattage from the PSU (it is splicing into the incoming wiring before it goes to the PSU.) That said what you do need to be concerned about is that the wire coming from the outlet plug to the system is thick enough gauge to pull enough wattage for both the computer and the monitor ( usually not a problem unless using a very cheap PSU cable but best to calculate the total wattage it might pull from the outlet and make sure the cable is rated to handle at least that amount to be safe.

thanks for the tip, i do have an iec adapter like this one    http://www.amazon.com/Amico-IEC320-Module-Rocker-Switch/dp/B008DS1NC0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1393091602&sr=8-4&keywords=iec

is there a diagram on wiring this? i think this would be good option based on what you stated above, it has a fuse as well and a switch which is ideal for my task. thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:01:29 am »
is there a diagram on wiring this?

Is this what you're looking for?

Scott

kz1911

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:54:25 pm »
yes thank you, i ran across similar thread on here and was able to get an answer, i am going tis route then use a splitter or surge protector inside the cab to power psu and monitor, it'll allow me to switch off power as well