Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: cheapy 'Zero Delay' USB encoder  (Read 37098 times)

InfantSorrow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2017, 02:53:22 pm
  • Scrumtrulescent!
cheapy 'Zero Delay' USB encoder
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:36:06 am »
Hello esteemed gentlemen!

I (as a noob) submit myself to the oracles of arcade system builders out of desperation! lol

First, a little bit of background.
Ever since 12, it has always been my dream to have my own authentic arcade machine in my home and finally after multiple groveling sessions and some sushi bribery, she agreed! ;D

Now, I am not a complete noob when it comes to pc's emulator arcading.
* I have setup an old pc running maximus arcade and even a jukebox and I can toggle between these amicably. (I have even got all the in game    artwork to display for each game I have listed)  So the software side of it, I have licked.
* On the hardware side, I have ordered one of those ebay cheapos, the 'Zero delay USB encoder' (2 pin) because I have read that it basically works the same as an ipac. (which is expensive, remember the wife constraint lol). Wiring this up to my arcade joystick and push buttons was straightforward and simple and when testing it in the windows usb controller config, all joystick movements and buttons work.

So basically, all that I still need to do is build the actual housing cabinet using mdf board, which shouldn't be a problem because of my supreme dexterity lol. "Then why, pray tell, do you post here?" you may ask.
Well, I am struggling on the FINAL hurdle of my implementation. Getting the authentic look with a working coin mech.
Once again I have gone el cheapo ebay with this and ordered one of the one of the $10 single coin accepting ones. (It doesn't need to be fancy multicoin)
I have the coin mech running off a 12v molex from my pc power supply and it accepts good coins and rejects bums just fine when pc is powered on.

My problem is getting the white pulse wire to trigger some sort of a button press on the usb encoder!! I understand that the usb encoder operates at 5v and the coin mech at 12v, so any dumb connections can end up frying the encoder.
I have used 5v zener diode to get the voltage down, as suggested in some other readings, but how do I connect this pulse wire to the usb encoder which is expecting 2 pins, because it needs ground?
I suppose I could create some sort of a coin chute for the accepted coins to roll down and trigger a small microswitch, but this would be the long way around and a cop out on my part lol

Any help from you gurus would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Aldous Snow

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:04:46 am by InfantSorrow »
Let me begin phase 2 of my plan... or is it phase 3? I don't know phases.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:45:39 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: cheapy 'Zero Delay' USB encoder
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:12:03 am »
Greetings and salutations, esteemed Aldous.   ;D

Since you already have a properly placed zener diode to act as a voltage regulator, simply connect the encoder ground to the coin recognizer ground.

In case you're not sure which wire is ground, look at the underside of the ZD encoder -- all the wires/traces on the outside are tied together so that's ground 5v.

Scott

EDIT: Melvinbates mentions here that the ZD has 5v on the outside plane.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:28:27 am by PL1 »

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:55:03 am »
thank you, good sir! May a thousand suns smile upon you for your altruistic efforts lol

I will test this as soon as I can :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:01:18 am by InfantSorrow »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 03:06:34 am »
It does not work as an ipac which gives you keyboard interface.   The ZD encoder shows up as a game pad.  This is not a problem in mame but gives some problems in emultors that restrict your input to the keyboard.

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 04:19:15 am »
Hi Bob

The fact that the cheapo usb encoder shows up as a joypad and has no keyboard functionality shouldnt be that big a problem. You can use software such as 'joy2key' which basically maps your joypad buttons to keyboard keypress events. Hope that helps.

Technically, an ipac is $40 solution to a $5 problem.

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:30:13 am »
@Scott

So my only problem was that I was wiring up the coin mech ground wire to pc psu ground and not to the ground of the usb encoder?

Sorry for all the q's, my lack of electronics prowess shames me lol
I am working to remedy this though!

Thanks again,
Aldous

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 05:20:20 am »
In the diagram above, connect the wires from the desired ZD input (not shown) to the wires connected to the diode. (left side)

The ground wire should also connect to the ground on the molex connector to provide a return path for the 12v that powers the coin mech.

A picture of how you're connecting the encoder and coin mech may well be worth more than 1000 words for troubleshooting this issue if it's related to wiring.   ;D

If it's not wiring, it may be the mode that the mech is in, but that's hard to say since you haven't mentioned which model you have.  :dunno

Scott

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 06:27:30 am »
@ Scott

Once again, thanks for the assistance sir!

I will upload a pic of my attempts at wiring for you as soon as i get back home, I am just on my way to a wedding now.
Another poor friend of mine not knowing what he is signing up for! lol

Cheers,
Aldous

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »
@Scott

In the diagram above, connect the wires from the desired ZD input (not shown) to the wires connected to the diode. (left side)

The ground wire should also connect to the ground on the molex connector to provide a return path for the 12v that powers the coin mech.

A picture of how you're connecting the encoder and coin mech may well be worth more than 1000 words for troubleshooting this issue if it's related to wiring.   ;D

If it's not wiring, it may be the mode that the mech is in, but that's hard to say since you haven't mentioned which model you have.  :dunno

Scott

Good day, good sir.

Sorry for the late reply, but I needed some recovery time from the buddies send off. Overdid it a bit.

Here are those pics you asked for.

The zener diodes striped part of the wire is plugged into the coin mech pulse (white) and the other part of the diode goes into the ground.

Now for the coin mech switch settings:
* SW1 = NO  (I believe this is correct because the circuit is only suppose to be completed when the coin is inserted, hence only triggering a pulse with a   valid coin entry)
*SW2 = 100ms - SLOW
*SW3 = MGN (Here there are two options, MGN and NOM. I left this on default coz I don't know what the hell it means lol)

Please let me know if this is okay :)

Cheers,
Aldous

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 10:16:01 pm »
Looks good.

Does it work?

Scott

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:32:48 am »
' Well throw me a freakin bone here Scott... we're in a VOLCANO, we're surrounded by liquid hot MAGMA.. ' lol

When i connect the encoder to usb port windows says usb device reported an error.
When i disconnect the button its fine.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:08:52 am »
*Returns from feeding the ill-tempered sea bass and working on the shark-head-mounted lasers.
(Research note to self: Don't use the long drywall screws for this application. They're a bit too long -- the sharks develop a nasty twitch and/or swim funny.)
------
Not sure what's wrong.

Disconnect the coin wire between the ZD and the coin mech but leave ground connected.
- Does the board still error when plugged in?
- If not, does shorting the ZD coin wire to ground register as a button press?

Check the voltage between the coin mech coin wire and ground -- does it drop from 5v to 0v when you drop in coins? (a digital meter may not respond fast enough to register this, but you should see a twitch on an analog meter)

Anyone have a ZD and a coin acceptor setup like this?

I don't have comparable hardware, so there's not much else I can do to help here.   :dunno

Scott

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:05:14 am »
@Scott

When I just leave the ground connected it is still giving the error.

I have picked up a problem though. When i check the voltage between the coin wire and ground it shows as 3.8v (I flipped the NO to NC so i could check the closed circuit state for the voltage. This state results in 0v only when a coin is dropped, correct? On NC, this happens for the moment I drop the coin.)

I used a 5.1v zener diode, perhaps this is taking too much voltage away?

Once again, thanks for the help Scott :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 03:43:44 am »
The fact that it's erroring with just the ground connected is a troubling sign.

Try separating the two circuits.

On the ZD:
-What is the voltage difference between the button leads?

On the coin mech:
- What is the voltage difference between the coin mech coin wire and ground?

- What voltage is it when the zener diode is disconnected?

Unless the zener is damaged, it should only regulate voltages that exceed 5v, any voltage at or below 5v shouldn't be affected.

The only other option that comes to mind is that you bought a coin mech that is designed to connect to a 3.3v microcontroller.

The model number of the coin mech and a link to the page where you bought it may also prove helpful.   ;D

Scott

EDIT: Most of the time, I'll read all the posts in Main/Project Announcements/Woodworking/Artwork/Forum Discussion/Wiki Discussion/Pinball before I notice a PM or e-mail -- just sayin'.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:56:23 am by PL1 »

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 08:47:32 am »
Check to see you are using the actual ground wire on the zd.  Colors do not matter the ground comes from the wire closest to the edge of the card.

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:05 am »
The fact that it's erroring with just the ground connected is a troubling sign.

Try separating the two circuits.

On the ZD:
-What is the voltage difference between the button leads?

On the coin mech:
- What is the voltage difference between the coin mech coin wire and ground?

- What voltage is it when the zener diode is disconnected?

Unless the zener is damaged, it should only regulate voltages that exceed 5v, any voltage at or below 5v shouldn't be affected.

The only other option that comes to mind is that you bought a coin mech that is designed to connect to a 3.3v microcontroller.

The model number of the coin mech and a link to the page where you bought it may also prove helpful.   ;D

Scott

EDIT: Most of the time, I'll read all the posts in Main/Project Announcements/Woodworking/Artwork/Forum Discussion/Wiki Discussion/Pinball before I notice a PM or e-mail -- just sayin'.   ::)

Well, don't look at me like I'm freaken Frankenstein Scott.. give daddy a hug lol

- The voltage difference between working button leads is 4,5v

- Coin mech coin wire (NC) and ground is 3.74v (with diode)

- Coin mech coin wire (NC) and ground is 4.53v WITHOUT the diode??? Very strange.

I'm no electronics guru, but doesn't that mean I can connect the coin mech pulse wire to the usb encoder WITHOUT a diode? lol

Here is the coin mech I am using, bought it from these guys :
http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/coin_comparator_coin_validator/electronic_coin_comparator/13381.html

Find attached a pic of the supplied coin mech manual, not that it contains anything useful (I think)

Cheers,
The infant

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:07 am »
Check to see you are using the actual ground wire on the zd.  Colors do not matter the ground comes from the wire closest to the edge of the card.

Well, if I knew what the hell I was doing... lol haha. I'm a software developer, I leave the hardware to you guys!

Here are some pics though.

Thanks for trying Bob. Your inputs are appreciated.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:59:40 am »
It looks like in the diagram you use the black wire from the ZD encoder input to connect to your ground.   That is not a ground wire the other wire is.  The one closest to your board edge or red if I am seeing colors correctly is the ground. 

Reverse your connections.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:02:06 pm by BobA »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:20 pm »
It looks like in the diagram you use the black wire from the ZD encoder input to connect to your ground.   That is not a ground wire the other wire is.  The one closest to your board edge or red if I am seeing colors correctly is the ground. 

^ THIS -- see pic below (click to enlarge)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:12:14 pm by JDFan »

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »

Hi Bob

Please take a look at the pic. Just to be clear, you want me to swap the black wire and the red wire from the button connectors around? (new config to be usb encoder black wire to pulse and usb encoder red wire to ground)

It wont mess up the encoder if the polarity is reversed?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:17:02 pm »
Hi Bob

Please take a look at the pic. Just to be clear, you want me to swap the black wire and the red wire from the button connectors around? (new config to be usb encoder black wire to pulse and usb encoder red wire to ground)

Correct -- as outlined in the post I made at the same time you posted - you can see how all of the outer connectors are linked together making a ground chain -- so that side of the connectors are your grounds

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 12:20:11 pm »
Hi Bob

Correct -- as outlined in the post I made at the same time you posted - you can see how all of the outer connectors are linked together making a ground chain -- so that side of the connectors are your grounds

ok JD. As is glaringly obvious, I am no electronics expert.. but WHY oh WHY don't they use standard colours for ground wires etc.
This will mess you up more if you dont know what the hell you are doing lol

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »
Hi Bob

ok JD. As is glaringly obvious, I am no electronics expert.. but WHY oh WHY don't they use standard colours for ground wires etc.
This will mess you up more if you dont know what the hell you are doing lol

Not sure - but the fact they have workers assembling them making less than $1 a day might have something to do with it !  :dunno

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:07 pm »
Lol okay that little exercise just toasted my encoder!! haha

Luckily I always think ahead and I ordered 2 more last week, anticipating spectacular f%&ups on my part lol

I guess that concludes our testing for the day!

YOU guys should really take a look at these zero delay usb encoder kits on ebay. it worked well with the normal setup of push buttons and arcade joysticks.
Only thing is how to connect the damn coin mech!

I presume you gentlemen are running ipacs/jpacs? They are a bit pricey here. Like $60, a bit steep when you convert it here.

Thanks for the help regardless! Our battle to be continued with the arrival of reinforcements lol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:46:58 pm by InfantSorrow »

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 01:17:40 pm »
Lol okay that little exercise just toasted my encoder!! haha

Luckily I always think ahead and I ordered 2 more last week, anticipating spectacular f%&ups on my part lol

I guess that concludes our testing for the day!

YOU guys should really take a look at these zero delay usb encoder kits on ebay. it worked well with the normal setup of push buttons and arcade joysticks.
Only thing is how to connect the damn coin mech!

I presume you gentlemen are running ipacs/jpacs? They are a bit pricey here. Like $60, a bit steep when you convert it here.

Thanks for the help regardless! Our battle to be continued with the arrival of reinforcements lol

OK false alarm :) the encoder is not fried! It was a bit hot.. and the USB light didnt come on with the reversed coin mech connection, so I assumed it dead.
Removed the coin mech connection and bingo, its online again.

Have you gentlemen reached your collective wits end with this problem? lol

Good, I need not be ashamed of my electronic prowess, if you guys are struggling with this too! ha
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:10:04 pm by InfantSorrow »

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:10 pm »
If the encoder was toasted when you changed the wires around it is your external circuit with the zener etc that must have fed back into it.   The encoder is definately not standard color coding as there does not seem to be any such use in China.  Do not connect your external circuit to another encoder until someone can help check how it is wired.  Sorry no time now I have to go out.

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:25 pm »
If the encoder was toasted when you changed the wires around it is your external circuit with the zener etc that must have fed back into it.   The encoder is definately not standard color coding as there does not seem to be any such use in China.  Do not connect your external circuit to another encoder until someone can help check how it is wired.  Sorry no time now I have to go out.

Bob, it wasnt toasted it's still alive :) I just removed the coin mech button connection and it came on again.

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 11:39:02 am
  • Another day in paradise
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:40 pm »
I have one of those zero delay boards (got it from Vigo back in the day)  I'll check it out and see if I can shed any light on how to solve this.

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 02:41:01 pm »

^ THIS -- see pic below (click to enlarge)

Hi guys. Just a quick q.

If the red wire coming from the encoder IS ground and the black wire is signal, then technically if I test the voltage between the 2 pin button encoder wires, I should get positive voltage if I put the red multimeter terminal on the black 2 pin wire and the black multimeter terminal on the red wire from the encoder, am I correct?
This is not the case though. If I test the wires this way, i get negative voltage. (-4.5v)
So wouldn't that mean that black wire from the 2 pin wires from the encoder is indeed ground?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:43 pm »

And it works right out of the box, without any extra software, diodes, coding, figthing, forum posts, etc.  :cheers:

I've used many kinds of encoders (Zero Delay), and will stick with the I-Pac. My time and relaxation level is worth $40.

I don't use powered coin mechs, so that's a new one though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:45:22 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 02:49:02 pm »

And it works right out of the box, without any extra software, diodes, coding, figthing, forum posts, etc.  :cheers:

I've used many kinds of encoders (Zero Delay), and will stick with the I-Pac. My time and relaxation level is worth $40.

lol touché.

BUT we only need to figure this out ONCE.. then it will be forever documented in the minds of our guru brethren.
We shall battle forth and never give up! lol

On a side note, I joined this family about 3 days ago. I was a junior member up until yesterday, today I see I have been promoted to full membership lol
What are my benefits? Do members have 'stripper Fridays'? Champagne room passes? lol

Edit: Also, I must add that this cheapy USB encoder did exactly what it claims to do. It works well and took me 2 mins to setup with the buttons and arcade joystick.
So, for the price ($10) I think its an excellent alternative if we can get one of the button terminals to pick up the coin mech, which theoretically should be easy.
The NO state of the pulse wire should mimic the NO state of a button. When you press the button, it closes the circuit, just like when you drop a coin it should close the circuit.

That is how I analysed it anyways lol
Another thing, there is no software required with the encoder. Windows just picks up a joystick.
You should try it once, its only $10.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:15:14 pm by InfantSorrow »

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 03:03:02 pm »
I have one of those zero delay boards (got it from Vigo back in the day)  I'll check it out and see if I can shed any light on how to solve this.

Melvin, that would be much appreciated.
I did not think this final coin mech hurdle would take me that long when setting up the buttons and joystick was so quick.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »
That is how I analysed it anyways lol
Another thing, there is no software required with the encoder. Windows just picks up a joystick.
You should try it once, its only $10.

I have used it, a couple of times even for small projects. For a full-size cab, I'll spend the extra $30, thank you. There are some front ends that really work better with a straight keystroke as opposed to a game pad.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »
I think the hurdle you are running into is the fact the the coin mech. is powered.  I haven't checked yet, but I'm fairly certain that the way the ZD works is by having the button lines pulled up to 4.5V like you saw on your meter and when a button is pressed it sinks the current, causing it to drop to 0v.  So the method of activation for the button on the ZD is different than what the coin mech is trying to do.  We may be able to overcome this by using a simple npn transistor as a go between.  I'll give it a try when I get home, but you would just need a simple general purpose npn transistor.  Hook the black wire from the zd to the collector, the red wire to the emitter, and hook the signal wire from your mech to the base of the transistor.  I think that should work, if my assumptions are correct...  But, I'll check it when i get home.

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 03:35:12 pm »
I think the hurdle you are running into is the fact the the coin mech. is powered.  I haven't checked yet, but I'm fairly certain that the way the ZD works is by having the button lines pulled up to 4.5V like you saw on your meter and when a button is pressed it sinks the current, causing it to drop to 0v.  So the method of activation for the button on the ZD is different than what the coin mech is trying to do.  We may be able to overcome this by using a simple npn transistor as a go between.  I'll give it a try when I get home, but you would just need a simple general purpose npn transistor.  Hook the black wire from the zd to the collector, the red wire to the emitter, and hook the signal wire from your mech to the base of the transistor.  I think that should work, if my assumptions are correct...  But, I'll check it when i get home.

Thanks Melvin. Give it a go and let me know.
And if you get it working, take some pics of the setup please. Coz I still might muck it up lol

Edit: Also, you are correct about the ZD button presses, just tested it now. When checking the voltage of the unpressed button, it shows 4.5v. When the is button pressed, it drops to 0v.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:43:43 pm by InfantSorrow »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 04:21:07 pm »
Thanks for the assist, Melvinbates.   ;D

If the ZD is an active high device, it would explain why things aren't working as expected.

Scott

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 04:56:27 pm »
Well, I had a chance to check my own ZD and get some readings.  It seems that the way you had it hooked up originally should have worked.  The large back plane on the pcb is in fact the +5 and not the ground (Odd to say the least). 

EDIT:
Well or at least close to the way you had it hooked up.  i would try just hooking up the pulse wire to the black wire with the mech set to NO and if you want the ground from the usb connector to the ground of your mech, leave the red wire unhooked, it's just +5v.  the black is the one that runs to the chip on the board.  I think that should get it working for you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:06:55 pm by melvinbates »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 05:34:18 pm »
Well, I had a chance to check my own ZD and get some readings.  It seems that the way you had it hooked up originally should have worked.  The large back plane on the pcb is in fact the +5 and not the ground (Odd to say the least). 

EDIT:
Well or at least close to the way you had it hooked up.  i would try just hooking up the pulse wire to the black wire with the mech set to NO and if you want the ground from the usb connector to the ground of your mech, leave the red wire unhooked, it's just +5v.  the black is the one that runs to the chip on the board.  I think that should get it working for you.

Will the Zener diode cause problems with this configuration?

Scott

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:42 pm »
I don't think the zenner will cause any problems if it's put on there correctly should just keep the voltage on the pulse <=5v.  I think the main problem he was running into was having the pulse on the wrong wire and feeding the 5v line into the pulse line was probably keeping the USB from initializing by sinking too much power.  Just conjecture but it makes sense to me.

InfantSorrow

• Offline Offline
  • Scrumtrulescent!
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 07:23:06 pm »

EDIT:

Gentlemen... just about to test this.
Drum roll please...